• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well think of it this way.
We've been getting characters to represent big games from a certain franchise, along with a lot of content from said game.
We have Rosalina and a Galaxy stage, and considering how big Galaxy is I'd be surprised if we didn't get more content.
X and Y was huge, and as a result, we got Greninja, new Pokeballs, and a stage. This is only so far.
We have a ton of Skyward Sword items, plus Skyloft. I think Ghirahim is definitely fair game.
Well, going by that logic, yes, a Skyward Sword character would seem likely. At the same time though, what about the character himself? Ghirahim is still just a one shot character, and we've seen those characters get passed over before in favor of more Links. I don't really see what importance Ghirahim has as a character aside from recency.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
We've been getting characters to represent big games from a certain franchise, along with a lot of content from said game.
We have Rosalina and a Galaxy stage, and considering how big Galaxy is I'd be surprised if we didn't get more content.
X and Y was huge, and as a result, we got Greninja, new Pokeballs, and a stage. This is only so far.
We have a ton of Skyward Sword items, plus Skyloft. I think Ghirahim is definitely fair game.
Plus, all of those games were game-changers for all of their respective franchises, literally and metaphorically.

Pokemon X/Y introduced a lot of new stuff to the games, like Mega Evolution. Super Mario Galaxy and SMG2 pretty much set a standard in quality and gameplay for every subsequent game, and was really successful. Skyward Sword, while not quite as successful as those two games, still was a huge change for the series, one that apparently worked because it got perfect review scores all across the board.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ HVDooD HVDooD
Your logic on "only one can return" is a bit flawed.
There is nothing that proves that there isn't enough room for both Ness AND Lucas, or Falco AND Wolf.
Slots seem to be a thing of the past, at least in my opinion.
Well, going by that logic, yes, a Skyward Sword character would seem likely. At the same time though, what about the character himself? Ghirahim is still just a one shot character, and we've seen those characters get passed over before in favor of more Links. I don't really see what importance Ghirahim has as a character aside from recency.
For the record, Chrom and Robin have only showed up in one Fire Emblem game.
Greninja has only been in X and Y (mainstream Pokémon, that is).
Xenoblade only HAS one game, which Shulk starred in.
Many characters are "one-shots", and even though Ghirahim probably won't show up again, Skyward Sword is big enough to warrant a character. Nobody really suits that role outside of Ghirahim.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Just gonna say that reasoning on a single move isn't really that logical for Snake. They throw them differently and they are different in properties.
That's like saying that because Mario has the fireball Luigi isn't getting it.
And for the quote, you gotta realize:
If he's in he HAS to say no/I don't know. Contracts and all. Can't be 100% due to his troll status.
PREACH IT!

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The same could be said for Rosalina though. Without Super Mario Galaxy, the literal only thing going for her is popularity.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The problem I have with this is that Rosalina at least has become a recurring Mario character thanks to her popularity from the first Galaxy game. She at least is becoming increasingly more popular and recurring in the Mario franchise. While Pokemon's newcomers are chosen in a different manner than most other franchises, this being that Pokemon newcomers are selected based on "What's hot" in other words current popularity. Greninja ended up becoming one of the most popular Pokemon in X/Y, so in that regard it makes sense for him to have gotten in.

Ghirahim, on the other hand, is a one-shot character, which are almost always passed over. He's got a bit of popularity, but it's died down overtime. All other Zelda veterans have been shown so far except for Ganondorf, and I feel that if any franchise were to get priority for 6 characters total, it would be Pokemon. Ghirahim's recency is really the only thing in his favor IMO.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Why does that matter? I hardly think Sakurai cares about slots. It's all about the characters.

Anyway, Jigglypuff I would put in good chance, Ness is practically confirmed, and ROB has a good chance. His "irrelevancy" is a terrible point.
I was talking about HVDood, not Sakurai, but on the other hand I've been thinking about it for a while and as long as Pokemon has less reps than Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and WarioWare reps combined, I'm ok

HVDooD

Smash Cadet
@ HVDooD HVDooD
Your logic on "only one can return" is a bit flawed.
There is nothing that proves that there isn't enough room for both Ness AND Lucas, or Falco AND Wolf.
I agree on maybe both Ness and Lucas returning but we already have Fox, so i see it as Fox and Falco/Wolf....

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I still believe the amount of cuts is alarming. ROB, Falco, Wolf, Ike, Lucas, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, and Mr. Game & Watch! I cannot stress enough that we will not have ten cut characters. The most I can see is 5.

Anthony Higgs is not happening. It was Ridley or bust. Ganondorf does not count as a newcomer, he will be the same Ganondorf as before with different moves. Every other character is getting different moves, so IF Ganondorf gets the same treatment, he's still the same character.

Why don't Mega Man and Pac-Man count as newcomers? They kinda freaking are. They're not "bonuses" to the roster, they're newcomers that are part of it.

And also, the bottom of the page means nothing. The same happened on Brawl's Dojo.

In all, too many cuts (unnecessary mind you), and blind devotion to an easily debunkable leak.
I didn't count third party char because in brawl it's 16 newcomers including the 2 third party. In melee it was 14 newcomer. So if I take out the 2 third party, the amount of newcomers is equal to melee in brawl.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I agree on maybe both Ness and Lucas returning but we already have Fox, so i see it as Fox and Falco/Wolf....
You know how different Wolf is from Fox?
Very much so.
His stats are completely different, and he only shares 2 1/2 specials and a few standard moves.
Otherwise they are completely different characters that play almost incomparably.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The same could be said for Rosalina though. Without Super Mario Galaxy, the literal only thing going for her is popularity.
Actually, I would argue that Rosalina had more going for her than that. Unlike Ghirahim, she's not just a one shot character. After her debut, she appeared in Galaxy 2, numerous spin-offs, and had a playable role in 3D World. She's become this recurring, fairly important character within the Mario series who will likely appear in even more games in the future, so her inclusion made sense, I think. Ghirahim has only been in Skyward Sword and most likely died at the end of it, so it seems unlikely we'll ever see him again. I don't think the two are as comparable as they seem at first glance.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Why are people saying ghirahim will always be a one shot character? Shuld I remindpeople that he is the dark master sword? I highly doubt they will forget that concept

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Rosalina is a bit of a different case, but in all seriousness everyone passed her by as "not important enough" before she was actually revealed.
Then everyone jumped on the Rosalina bandwagon and pretends that they always thought she was some legendary Mario character.
What about Toad?
Paper Mario?
Bowser Jr?
Remember them? All of them appeared on more rosters than Rosalina.

I'm not questioning her importance by any means, but some of the arguments against Ghirahim, such as not being important enough, were arguments against Rosalina in the past.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I do agree that it's quite possible for only one of them to return, but it's certainly not impossible for both of them to come back. And to be fair, Fox and Falco all have different priority strength, speed and direciton-wise in their movesets, even if most of their moves appear near-identical to one and other's. Wolf also has a much different moveset from both of them and has a considerably different playstyle.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I'm Gona update my roster and change based on your guys post about the char. Some of you guys are making good points, so I think we can get the char roster pretty somewhat close to the actual game IMO.

HVDooD

Smash Cadet
You know how different Wolf is from Fox?
Very much so.
His stats are completely different, and he only shares 2 1/2 specials and a few standard moves.
Otherwise they are completely different characters that play almost incomparably.
We'll see but in my opinion we only need one of them back.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Actually, I would argue that Rosalina had more going for her than that. Unlike Ghirahim, she's not just a one shot character. After her debut, she appeared in Galaxy 2, numerous spin-offs, and had a playable role in 3D World. She's become this recurring, fairly important character within the Mario series who will likely appear in even more games in the future, so her inclusion made sense, I think. Ghirahim has only been in Skyward Sword and most likely died at the end of it, so it seems unlikely we'll ever see him again. I don't think the two are as comparable as they seem at first glance.
Firstly, it wouldn't matter if he died in Skyward Sword, he's a sword spirit and it's Zelda.

Second, it's hard to compare Mario/Pokemon characters to Zelda characters because

A) Zelda characters often have limited roles over time
B) There's only one Zelda game every few years so there's isn't much opportunity to use them again anyway
C) Mario and Pokemon are so big that every character is practically it's own franchise

So in a straight comparison, of course Rosalina has more merits, but when the criteria is adjusted fairly to each series, no as many.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Rosalina is a bit of a different case, but in all seriousness everyone passed her by as "not important enough" before she was actually revealed.
Then everyone jumped on the Rosalina bandwagon and pretends that they always thought she was some legendary Mario character.
What about Toad?
Paper Mario?
Bowser Jr?
Remember them? All of them appeared on more rosters than Rosalina.

I'm not questioning her importance by any means, but some of the arguments against Ghirahim, such as not being important enough, were arguments against Rosalina in the past.
I won't deny that there is probably a lot of hindsight bias regarding Rosalina, and that it was reasonable that people didn't really expect her. But at the same time, she still is more important to the Mario series than Ghirahim is to the Zelda series. For me at least, adding a character like Ghirahim in, a one time character who's part of a large series (with recurring characters) that will likely move on without him, would be a rather odd move without much justifications.

bryanoid

Smash Cadet
Any comments on my roster?

ssbroster.png

Andy because, while FE is bigger and more popular than Wars, 3 FE Reps and No Wars reps makes me sad and should make you sad as well.
IC's split up and instead made into alternate costumes, since that's actually possible now (a la WFT/HFT). Obviously the moveset would need to be buffed something major.
I originally had a slot for a 6th Zelda rep, but the many items/AT's convinced me that Zelda has enough representation.
Bowser Jr. or King Boo. While Luigi was usually the secret character, we saw Sakurai reveal him because of the Year of Luigi. I think it's because there's another secret char allowing him to do such a thing. More leeway. Otherwise, he revealed all Mario characters so early? Doesn't make sense.
3 cuts in Squirtle, Ivysaur and Snake. 50 characters in all. A pretty solid number, I'd say.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Changed my vision a bit from recent opinions...
I think there will be 5 lines of 9 character slots this time seeing how the rules of 4 slots max have been broken with Rosalina... 44 characters and 1 random icon.

Pretty much confirmed:

:falcon:Is coming back since Sakurai talked about balancing the falcon punch in an interview.
:wario:Seen on concept art and Ashley and Waluigi have a W sign in the direct.
:metaknight:Seen in concept art and the halberd is back.
:gw:Also on the concept art Sakurai showed.

good chance:

:popo:While the ice bears are seen in Smash Run there's still a small chance 3DS couldn't handle them.
:ganondorf:Needs a new moveset but he's never going to be cut for Ghirahim, like Bowser would be replaced for Petey Piranha right?!
:rob:Probably coming back.
:jigglypuff:Original 12...
:ness2:Original 12...

Danger Zone:

:ike:Unfortunately Chrom might take his moveset but a bit faster but they could add Robin and keep Ike aswell.
:lucas:Only one of them will return, Ness has the most chance but you never know.
:falco:/:wolf:Only one can return with an airwing/wolfen and some changes too play different enough from :fox:
:mewtwomelee:Pokemon might get 6 slots but if they get 5 his chances are small to beat :jigglypuff:

Probaly Cut:

:ivysaur::squirtle:Pokemontrainer is gone and people prefer either :jigglypuff:/:mewtwomelee:over them.
:snake:Seeing :sheik:use grenades and items overall from his moves and the developer himself semi-deconfirming him....
You know you don't have to go back on your opinion about ROB. So far there is nothing concrete showing him to be in or out of the game. It's just what people are feeling, and thinking in terms of how many cuts and how big or small the roster will be.
My feelings,as many know, are that people are hoping for too few cuts, and too many new comers. Time, and probably E3 will tell.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The problem I have with this is that Rosalina at least has become a recurring Mario character thanks to her popularity from the first Galaxy game. She at least is becoming increasingly more popular and recurring in the Mario franchise. While Pokemon's newcomers are chosen in a different manner than most other franchises, this being that Pokemon newcomers are selected based on "What's hot" in other words current popularity. Greninja ended up becoming one of the most popular Pokemon in X/Y, so in that regard it makes sense for him to have gotten in.

Ghirahim, on the other hand, is a one-shot character, which are almost always passed over. He's got a bit of popularity, but it's died down overtime. All other Zelda veterans have been shown so far except for Ganondorf, and I feel that if any franchise were to get priority for 6 characters total, it would be Pokemon. Ghirahim's recency is really the only thing in his favor IMO.
If any franchise were to get priority for 6 characters... Zelda would be included among them. Why? Because 7 Legend of Zelda characters were planned for Brawl. So I doubt 6 characters is THAT much of a stretch.

Mario and Zelda are the biggest Nintendo series; Pokemon is obviously included among them. So it isn't surprising to see such saturation prevalent in the roster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Listen, I don't think Ghirahim DESERVES a slot (Tingle should be higher priority), but I think there's enough to justify his inclusion based on what Sakurai has been doing lately.
And Ghirahim is pretty popular in Japan, so there's that.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 12898

Andy because, while FE is bigger and more popular than Wars, 3 FE Reps and No Wars reps makes me sad and should make you sad as well.
IC's split up and instead made into alternate costumes, since that's actually possible now (a la WFT/HFT). Obviously the moveset would need to be buffed something major.
I originally had a slot for a 6th Zelda rep, but the many items/AT's convinced me that Zelda has enough representation.
Bowser Jr. or King Boo. While Luigi was usually the secret character, we saw Sakurai reveal him because of the Year of Luigi. I think it's because there's another secret char allowing him to do such a thing. More leeway. Otherwise, he revealed all Mario characters so early? Doesn't make sense.
3 cuts in Squirtle, Ivysaur and Snake. 50 characters in all. A pretty solid number, I'd say.
In all honesty, that roster is disappointing to me because it lacks any Golden Sun playable reps. Personally, I highly doubt Mario and Pokemon will have 6 reps. I expect Mario, Pokemon and Zelda will have an equal amount of reps being 5. I know a lot of fans want Mewtwo back but at the same time a lot of other fans want other series to have playable representation.

As a hardcore Pokemon fan myself, I would love to have Mewtwo back but it seems unnecessary as Lucario and Charizard both show off Mega Evolution (a new feature in Pokemon) which leaves the last new feature (Fairy type) to be shown off with Jigglypuff. Mewtwo just doesn't bring anything different to the table as Sakurai mentioned was the point of newcomers being added. (You can say he's technically not a newcomer but to me, if you get cut then your return is newcomer status.)

Also, I see no need for Lucas or Falco to be on the roster! With customization now for moves it seems pointless to return clone characters such as them because they have the same physics as their counterparts, Ness and Fox. So now you can easily give Fox and Ness the same move effects that Falco and Lucas once had. The only reason I don't put Wolf on this list is due to his physics being completely different from Fox and his moves are different enough while Falco's are still VERY much the same. Some of you may say that Toon Link should be included in this and I agree, however the Zelda series is one of Nintendo's big 3 while Earthbound and StarFox are currently dead series.

I would love for Robin to be the FE: Awakening rep but I'm sure it will be Chrom which makes me think Ike would be replaced but hopefully that's not the case.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Listen, I don't think Ghirahim DESERVES a slot (Tingle should be higher priority), but I think there's enough to justify his inclusion based on what Sakurai has been doing lately.
And Ghirahim is pretty popular in Japan, so there's that.
The notion of "deserve" is so very subjective and relative to the individual. I honestly feel as though he is a worthy candidate.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The notion of "deserve" is so very subjective and relative to the individual. I honestly feel as though he is a worthy candidate.
Alright, Ghirahim as a character "deserves" a slot since he's popular and Skyward Sword was a big game.
But characters like Tingle and Tetra are more important to the Zelda franchise, so in my opinion they should come first.
Not that they will, though.
It's more comparative than anything.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
In all honesty, that roster is disappointing to me because it lacks any Golden Sun playable reps. Personally, I highly doubt Mario and Pokemon will have 6 reps. I except Mario, Pokemon and Zelda will have an equal amount of reps being 5. I know a lot of fans want Mewtwo back but at the same time a lot of other fans want other series to have playable representation.

As a hardcore Pokemon fan myself, I would love to have Mewtwo back but it seems unnecessary as Lucario and Charizard both show off Mega Evolution (a new feature in Pokemon) which leaves the last new feature (Fairy type) to be shown off with Jigglypuff. Mewtwo just doesn't bring anything different to the table as Sakurai mentioned was the point of newcomers being added. (You can say he's technically not a newcomer but to me, if you get cut then your return is newcomer status.

Also, I see no need for Lucas or Falco to be on the roster! With customization now for moves it seems pointless to return clone characters such as them because they have the same physics as their counterparts, Ness and Fox. So now you can easily give Fox and Ness the same move effects that Falco and Lucas once had. The only reason I don't put Wolf on this list is due to his physics being completely different from Fox and his moves are different enough while Falco's are still VERY much the same. Some of you may say that Toon Link should be included in this and I agree, however the Zelda series is one of Nintendo's big 3 while Earthbound and StarFox are currently dead series.

I would love for Robin to be the FE: Awakening rep but I'm sure it will be Chrom which makes me think Ike would be replaced but hopefully that's not the case.
I am not sure if you are aware; move-set customization is only applicable to offline mode and friend matches, so it isn't something that inherently changes a character. So clone characters; like Toon Link, one of the more clone-esque characters out of the entire game, are still relevant.

Also; Mewtwo brings more to the table than his Mega Evolution, we are not entirely sure that his Final Smash would even include Mega Evolving. Pokemon already cut 2 characters; it isn't entirely absurd to believe that they were cut to... make room. If you will.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Question for Moderators:
Is it safe to talk about Final Smashes on this thread?
There are places to discuss that specifically, but it's part of the character, so sure.

Are there any threads for such? I know the rumors and leak threads are closed, so I'm not sure where exactly we're supposed to discuss this.
For the moment the place for that would be the Social thread.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 12898

I like the roster but I don't see Ike coming back, because I think Marth is like THE iconic char for "Fire Emblem" series, that's why she will keep coming back. Plus have u noticed that little mac "B moves" are quite similar to Ike's. lol don't ask me how is his B moves are "similar", u can figure this out. So I was thinking sakurai addition to little mac may somewhat bring Ike in that format. I hope that made sense. lol

Andy, I have played advance war. So I do know him, but I just don't see his moveset is all.

Bowser Jr. , can't really say....

everything else is fine or more possible.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Quite talking about Ghirahim, guys.
There's another, clearly superior, character from Skyward Sword whose name starts with 'G' :troll:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
As far as Ghirahim, I'm glad I was at least a high school student when he was introduced, he kinda creeps me out. I admit it's just personal bias, but I don't want him in, come to think of it I don't think he'd be in if I wanted him.

@ shrooby shrooby are you talking about Groose?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I like the roster but I don't see Ike coming back, because I think Marth is like THE iconic char for "Fire Emblem" series, that's why she will keep coming back. Plus have u noticed that little mac "B moves" are quite similar to Ike's. lol don't ask me how is his B moves are "similar", u can figure this out. So I was thinking sakurai addition
There is a lot I don't understand about this post....but Marth is a she?

Ha! I told you she would be in this game!

Morbi

Scavenger
I like the roster but I don't see Ike coming back, because I think Marth is like THE iconic char for "Fire Emblem" series, that's why she will keep coming back. Plus have u noticed that little mac "B moves" are quite similar to Ike's. lol don't ask me how is his B moves are "similar", u can figure this out. So I was thinking sakurai addition to little mac may somewhat bring Ike in that format. I hope that made sense. lol

Andy, I have played advance war. So I do know him, but I just don't see his moveset is all.

Bowser Jr. , can't really say....

everything else is fine or more possible.
I was honestly feeling the same thing; Little Mac's specials are fairly reminiscent of Ike's. I like to believe that it is merely coincidence; some are more coincidental than others, such as the counter. However; some take overt inspiration, their recovery moves, for instance.

The fire is also really weird on Mac, maybe he does it in his game or something. But I see where you are getting at.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
There is a lot I don't understand about this post....but Marth is a she?

Ha! I told you she would be in this game!
Spoiler spoiler spoiler below

That's not Marth iirc. That's someone else even tiki thought that was Marth. It's chrom daughter.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I am not sure if you are aware; move-set customization is only applicable to offline mode and friend matches, so it isn't something that inherently changes a character. So clone characters; like Toon Link, one of the more clone-esque characters out of the entire game, are still relevant.

Also; Mewtwo brings more to the table than his Mega Evolution, we are not entirely sure that his Final Smash would even include Mega Evolving. Pokemon already cut 2 characters; it isn't entirely absurd to believe that they were cut to... make room. If you will.
You make a good point, however Sakurai said in the direct that there are fan expectations for mega evolution so adding Mewtwo and not having it mega evolve would go against what Sakurai himself said. Also, in the previous game (Brawl) it was easy for a franchise to have more then 4 characters as the most any franchise had was 4 slots because you could cram 2+ characters into one slot, but now SLOTS=CHARACTERS and some may say that Sakurai can "do what he wants" with the game but that's not really the case. Nintendo's poster franchise is Mario! I doubt Iwata and the other higher ups would sign off on another franchise having the "appearance" of being represented more than Mario and by "appearance" I mean how you choose a character on the roster screen. Like I said earlier, slots now equal characters so Pokemon will most likely have an equal amount of characters to Mario and Zelda which at the moment I have to say is 5 unless Mario has a hidden character that won't be revealed until after release.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Why are people saying ghirahim will always be a one shot character? Shuld I remindpeople that he is the dark master sword? I highly doubt they will forget that concept
Finally someone says it! What's more, if it wasn't for Ghirahim, Ganondorf wouldn't exist. If that doesn't count for something, I don't know what does. He may only appear in one game, true, but he helped set the Zelda series in motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom