• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Srry, not trying to bring up Funky again. Just responding to this one quote.

I have to agree that Dixie and K. Rool would get in over Funky, but I still love Funky.
I love Funky more than K. Rool. But, I'll be upset if he gets in over either of them as it will not be in the best interest of the fans and it wouldn't be very justified imo. I tend to prefer what's best for the game to come before what's best for my own personal interest.

Regardless, I still think he might get in over one of them. I just think it would be best if he didn't. But, at least I'd be able to say "I told you so."

And we could have a new meme: "Expecting Waluigi in Mario Tennis? TOO BAD! FUNKY TIME!" "Expecting Andross to be the villian of the new Star Fox? TOO BAD! FUNKY TIME!" "Excpecting King K. Rool in Smash 4? TOO BAD! IT'S FUNKY TIIIME!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If anything, any chances of Funky being playable won't be happening until after Dixie and K. Rool have their glory. Even then, he doesn't like adventuring.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also, there really isn't much else to show us.
I very much doubt that. Even without characters, we still know very little to nothing about the different modes, particularly an Adventure mode, or anything about the cross-platform connectivity.

I'd say there's still another Direct's worth of info out there, even if it wouldn't run 40 mins.

Morbi

Scavenger
ROB is the great Trojan Horse of gaming. In a game that honors Nintendo's biggest and most influential, his spot is well deserved. It's just that few know it.

I don't see anything big being revealed for a while... maybe we'll get a character in May.
Honestly, there are ways to represent characters and ideas without making them playable; that has always been my opinion of R.O.B. My perspective isn't influenced by the character, merely his play-style. His spot isn't well deserved; Smash is first and foremost a fighting game. Fighting games need innovative and fun characters, that is all subjective, of course. I just feel as though they rely on what he represents FAR too much. There is a reason a lot of people want him cut, and I am sure that entails much more than "only a few KNOWING it."

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I very much doubt that. Even without characters, we still know very little to nothing about the different modes, particularly an Adventure mode, or anything about the cross-platform connectivity.

I'd say there's still another Direct's worth of info out there, even if it wouldn't run 40 mins.
Perhaps. But I still can't see how they could cram that much info into three months.

What is more likely to happen, in my opinion, is a segment of a normal-length Direct dedicated to the game.
The E3 Direct, to be precise.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd at least like a new stage this week, if not the Ice Climbers.

I can see the Ice Climbers happening, since it seems like a perfect time to reveal them, aside from the fact that we got 5 reveals in the recent Direct. It's not likely, but it's definitely possible.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
No Ice Climbers tomorrow. Instead, more Charizard X Waddle Dee.
Waddle Dee got ate. He ain't coming back.

How do you know Mewtwo got shoved?

Didn't notice the probably. But still, how is he probably shoved?
Similarities between Greninja and Lucario's playstyles and the probability of only 5 Pokemon characters.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
I think it's rather foolish to consider Falco and Wolf getting the boot, seeing as they're both rather important to the Star Fox franchise.

Regarding your Pokemon franchise claim, there were 6 playable Pokemon in Brawl, so it's possible for Mewtwo and Jigglypuff to come back together.

R.O.B. is an important figure for Nintendo, since it saved the video game industry from disaster.

To finish up, the EarthBound/Mother franchise has pretty much died off, so having both Ness and Lucas around should probably keep their legacy alive.
They should at least differentiate them a bit more, mostly falco feels like a slightly modified fox. R.O.B Would be awesome to have back with the buffs characters are getting.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I still don't understand why people think we're only getting five Pokemon characters. While it could happen, there's no logical sense, people just assume we can't get more than Mario and Zelda.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still don't understand why people think we're only getting five Pokemon characters. While it could happen, there's no logical sense, people just assume we can't get more than Mario and Zelda.
Pretty much this. Brawl pretty much proved it, even if half of the Pokemon were the Pokemon Trainer's.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why is there NO logical sense in that? Pokemon and Zelda have never had more separated characters than Mario, our most important IP. Surely there's SOME logic in that. I personally think it's not essential, especially since he can't use separated fighters to have more characters in one IP anymore and Mewtwo is so requested, but I certainly acknowledge that Sakrurai acknowledges it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This. We were almost unanimously expecting seven Pokemon characters before (Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucario) but
now Greninja's revealed and suddenly it's down to five and Jigglypuff is cut in favour of Mewtwo?

What happened?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, there are ways to represent characters and ideas without making them playable; that has always been my opinion of R.O.B. My perspective isn't influenced by the character, merely his play-style. His spot isn't well deserved; Smash is first and foremost a fighting game. Fighting games need innovative and fun characters, that is all subjective, of course. I just feel as though they rely on what he represents FAR too much. There is a reason a lot of people want him cut, and I am sure that entails much more than "only a few KNOWING it."
If you don't like ROB because of his playstyle there's nothing much I can say. Opinions are opinions, and other people have opinions that differ from yours...

Most of the people I've seen advocate for cutting ROB base their wishes on his randomness and unimportance when compared to other characters, him just "taking up a spot", not his playstyle. If any characters usually get demands for a cut because of their playstyle it's the semi-clones. It's similar to the waves of people wanting G&W and ICs cut after Melee, but now most people would be very against their removal. Obv there are ways to represent something without it being playable, but I stand by ROB meriting his spot on the roster.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why is there NO logical sense in that? Pokemon and Zelda have never had more separated characters than Mario, our most important IP. Surely there's SOME logic in that. I personally think it's not essential, especially since he can't use that excuse anymore and Mewtwo is so requested, but I certainly acknowledge that Sakrurai acknowledges it.
It is more logical to not blatantly disregard the precedent established 6 years ago whilst ignoring the overt fact that 2 Pokemon characters were likely already removed.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Why is there NO logical sense in that? Pokemon and Zelda have never had more separated characters than Mario, our most important IP. Surely there's SOME logic in that. I personally think it's not essential, especially since he can't use that excuse anymore and Mewtwo is so requested, but I certainly acknowledge that Sakrurai acknowledges it.
Why do separated characters matter?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've got a shaky feeling that Cranky Kong will be our DK & Retro newcomer.

Killing 2 birds with one stone, eh?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why do separated characters matter?
You tell me. I can't justify why it's a good idea that Sakurai uses, but it is an idea he uses.

I am clearly not the one ignoring the established precedent. I am quite obviously one of the individuals that advocated for Pokemon Trainer's removal. Have you gone completely mad, or did you misread something?
You're ignoring the precedent that Pokemon and Zelda have never had more characters than Mario on the select screen and acting like Squirtle and Ivysaur might actually be coming back.

Because you assume that since Pokemon had more characters despite some being integrated into one that we can have infinite Pokemon characters.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
The separated characters limited them in ways. (Example: Pokemon Trainers stamina system, and zelda/ sheik not having a special) Plus they seem like a pain to program. I may be wrong so don't jump down my throat, but it seems like a pretty valid reasoning for their removal.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
This. We were almost unanimously expecting seven Pokemon characters before (Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucario) but
now Greninja's revealed and suddenly it's down to five and Jigglypuff is cut in favour of Mewtwo?

What happened?
Sakurai took out Transformations so there's no more cramming 3 Pokemon characters into one slot. I don't know why people think Jigglypuff will get cut in favor of Mewtwo. Thanks to Brawl we already know Jigglypuff's priority supersedes Mewtwo.

Morbi

Scavenger
You tell me. I can't justify why it's a good idea that Sakurai uses, but it is an idea he uses.

You're ignoring the precedent that Pokemon and Zelda have never had more characters than Mario on the select screen and acting like Squirtle and Ivysaur might actually be coming back.

Because you assume that since Pokemon had more characters despite some being integrated into one that we can have infinite Pokemon characters.
I apologize; I hadn't realized that you were alluding to the select screen. That isn't something I find relevant; characters are characters. The slots are immaterial, you develop characters, not slots. I am sure you have heard the argument before, I am not going to waste any time to regurgitate it any further.

I also stated; most likely, or something to that extent. I never stated that Squirtle and Ivysaur weren't coming back. Never. That being said, I honestly believe that they are omitted.

I am not sure why you included that baseless accusation at the end of your post. That is not what I believe; unless you have mistaken Mewtwo for "infinite Pokemon characters." In that event, you are absolutely correct.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sakurai took out Transformations so there's no more cramming 3 Pokemon characters into one slot. I don't know why people think Jigglypuff will get cut in favor of Mewtwo. Thanks to Brawl we already know Jigglypuff's priority supersedes Mewtwo.
There you have it, the mascot franchise of Nintendo and it's sphere if influence has a total of 8 representatives, that's still more than Pokemon, they don't need to cut Jigglypuff just to get Mewtwo in at this point.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai acknowledges all 39 characters total. THAT'S IT. He said nothing about how he feels about there being more separated characters from Pokemon or Zelda than from Mario. Yet, we all assume that over representation is not an issue. Probably because it sounds nicer to us and it's something WE wouldn't care about if we were the game designer. But, we're not.

This argument is so easily debunkable because there are in fact still integrated characters. Sakurai doesn't have to comment on that for him to know that. He did however comment that he DOES care about overrepresentation.

People like to ignore that part and act like what he doesn't say doesn't matter. So they don't have to argue about it and they can have their precious Mewtwo without having to have any reasonable doubts about him.

I still think that Sakurai will add Mewtwo as a sixth with no Mario or Zelda just because he's so requested and Pokemon has so many...well...Pokemon. But, I don't go prancing around like this simple quote from Sakurai is unarguable evidence that we know exactly how he feels and exactly what he meant by it.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The more I think about it, the more perfect it seems to have one of Ghirahim's special moves be summons an enemy to attack/protect him.
Eh, I think of it more like this:
Neutral B: Those red spears he throws in a straight line.
Side B: He charges up, sprints forward, and catches an enemy offlguard with his swords. (yes, two swords)
Down-B: The attack grab. He grabs any melee attack and flings items or characters away.
Up-B: Crysals. Disappears and reappears.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Eh, I think of it more like this:
Neutral B: Those red spears he throws in a straight line.
Side B: He charges up, sprints forward, and catches an enemy offlguard with his swords. (yes, two swords)
Down-B: The attack grab. He grabs any melee attack and flings items or characters away.
Up-B: Crysals. Disappears and reappears.
I dunno, that moveset seems somewhat generic to me. I feel like most movesets for Ghirahim are just a combination of Sheik and Marth essentially.

Obviously I want something far more unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom