• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I shall assist in changing the topic! Give me Mona!
Nice choice, considering the fact that WarioWare does better than Wario Land sales wise. Just give Wario more Wario Land techniques so he can rep that series instead of adding Syrup. Mona however would be a true WarioWare rep with attacks based on her strange microgames.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman

What?

Or it's just based on the two colors based on the game.

Or it's all coincidence cause red and blue are very common colors.

Wouldn't that "help" a Soul Caliber character more than Lloyd?

Regardless, the Tekken team is working on it too. Does that affect anything or is the Soul Caliber team "special?"
Soul caliber an tales of developer. Well the final destination looks very similar to that soul calibur swords.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_to_see_in_super_smash_bros_on_wii_u_and_3ds

Also notice red being on left and blue being on right. Same as how both 3ds and wii u title are shown in that order.

Last edited:

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I know this is gonna sound crazy, far-fetched and maybe even stupid but...what if not all characters are revealed even after release of the 3DS version, but after the Wii U release?
I mean, that some (like 3 or 4) characters are even programmed in the 3DS version, but they are kept COMPLETELY secret and not possible to unlock before the Wii U version.
That way not only Sakurai would suprise everyone, but it would act like a holidays gift/surprise that could raise sells on both consoles even more.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Mario gold world tour is also I believe the first nintendo game with a season pass. While I'm not a huge fan of them and Dlc, they do have reasonable prices for the amount of content your getting. I feel that it could work in smash (and mario kart), if sakurai wanted to. Could possibly expand roster by 2-3 if it happened.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Nice choice, considering the fact that WarioWare does better than Wario Land sales wise. Just give Wario more Wario Land techniques so he can rep that series instead of adding Syrup. Mona however would be a true WarioWare rep with attacks based on her strange microgames.
I don't see Mona being in, though. If there had to be one, it'd probably be Mona, but I honestly thought Ashley would get in before her. If she does get in, I'd be pleasantly surprised, but a little upset that Ashley got a slap across the face.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I know this is gonna sound crazy, far-fetched and maybe even stupid but...what if not all characters are revealed even after release of the 3DS version, but after the Wii U release?
I mean, that some (like 3 or 4) characters are even programmed in the 3DS version, but they are kept COMPLETELY secret and not possible to unlock before the Wii U version.
That way not only Sakurai would suprise everyone, but it would act like a holidays gift/surprise that could raise sells on both consoles even more.
I think that would be idiotic on Sakurai's part.
Why lock stuff out so you can have a few "surprises"?
Sure, one could call it hype. But I call it alienating.

Morbi

Scavenger

What?

Or it's just based on the two colors based on the colors of the two Smash games.

Or it's all coincidence cause red and blue are very common colors.

Wouldn't that "help" a Soul Caliber character more than Lloyd?

Regardless, the Tekken team is working on it too. Does that affect anything or is the Soul Caliber team "special?"
It could have been a coincidence; but it is blatantly based on Soul Caliber. Whether or not that was the intent is irrelevant. It is in the same style, it doesn't have to mean anything... but it is clearly in the same style. That was the first notion that most conceived when they saw the stage. It could merely be Namco putting their own flair on the stage, just aesthetically. I don't believe it was an accidental design, even if it was, it was clearly innately inspired by the Soul Edge (Sakurai might have subconsciously did it).

The flames probably don't mean anything. But the stage is quite obviously inspired by Soul Calibur, maybe even accidentally or unintentionally, that doesn't change that is is clearly reminiscent of the game.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I really doubt the inclusion of any second Wario rep. I admit if I HAD to choose one I'd go with Waluigi, but we all saw how that turned out for the purple plumba.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Soul caliber an tales of developer. Well the final destination looks very similar to that soul calibur swords.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_to_see_in_super_smash_bros_on_wii_u_and_3ds
Reposting the article again doesn't do you any good.

Especially when I have this.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/07/tekken-team-helping-super-smash-bros-wii-u/

And Final Destination does look similar to Soul Edge and Soul Caliber, but is there really a correlation? There is absolutely no proof.

By the way, your image is broken.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm confused. So would they be impossible to be unlocked until the Wii U is out?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It could have been a coincidence; but it is blatantly based on Soul Caliber. Whether or not that was the intent is irrelevant. It is in the same style, it doesn't have to mean anything... but it is clearly in the same style. That was the first notion that most conceived when they saw the stage. It could merely be Namco putting their own flair on the stage, just aesthetically. I don't believe it was an accidental design, even if it was, it was clearly innately inspired by the Soul Edge (Sakurai might have subconsciously did it).

The flames probably don't mean anything. But the stage is quite obviously inspired by Soul Calibur, maybe even accidentally or unintentionally, that doesn't change that is is clearly reminiscent of the game.
Still.
I'm trying to get the part where Lloyd Irving, a guest character in that game mind you, get's into Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ha! Why have Mona when you can have Jimmy T?
The grooviest character for Smash!
You mean that Bobobo clone? :troll:
A dance based moveset would be unique, but Wii Fit Trainer's yoga/health playstyle sort of makes him redundant. Not to mention Smashers are racist against those with blue hair. *Looks at Chrom*

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I'm confused. So would they be impossible to be unlocked until the Wii U is out?
Yep, exactly. And you could only unlock them (in both versions) only after the Wii U version is released.

I know that's not gonna happen. But it is an idea that just crossed my mind a few minutes ago.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You mean that Bobobo clone? :troll:
A dance based moveset would be unique, but Wii Fit Trainer's yoga/health playstyle sort of makes him redundant. Not to mention Smashers are racist against those with blue hair. *Looks at Chrom*
But she's all about health. Where Jimmy T is all about the groovy side of things!
Besides, it's not blue, it's aqua. Completely different.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Or he could be finishing work on those extra characters before the release of the wii u version and just have an update for 3ds that adds them in. Would work better, plus could prevent hackers from finding them out and spoiling the surprise.

bryanoid

Smash Cadet
I didn't even know who Captain Syrup was until I google'd her. I'm sure Mona is much more recognized... as is Ashley, but it's too late for her

And we did get a heavyweight newcomer

:troll:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Have u read the comments in the past lol. I posted that too and they

Gawd read my very first comment on PAC man and Lloyd. I'm not saying te same thing over and over lol.

Btw, for Lloyd

Just skip to Lloyd paragraph.
Smash Bros is a huge franchise just for the sole aspect of having successful characters in one game.

I imagine most people you ask about Smash Bros would say they want their character in it.

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
Now here's an interesting would you rather.

Would you rather

Have the Super Smash Bros roster only build on already represented franchises (meaning new reps for Kid Ic, F-Zero, Mother, Star Fox, etc.)

OR

Have a Smash Roster where each franchise only gets 1 rep but almost every possible Nintendo franchise gets 1?

Keep in mind that Luigi's Mansion is a franchise so that doesn't necessarily mean cutting pre-existing smash bros

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Now here's an interesting would you rather.

Would you rather

Have the Super Smash Bros roster only build on already represented franchises (meaning new reps for Kid Ic, F-Zero, Mother, Star Fox, etc.)

OR

Have a Smash Roster where each franchise only gets 1 rep but almost every possible Nintendo franchise gets 1?

Keep in mind that Luigi's Mansion is a franchise so that doesn't necessarily mean cutting pre-existing smash bros
Factoring in new franchises already confirmed, like Punch Out, I would much rather have the first option.
The second option seems similar to my "three characters from every series" experiment.

D

Deleted member

Old, fake and lame.
Fix'd.
So, if we get a Direct in May (which is likely since they'll want to hype Mario Kart 8 as well as tease E3 plans), which Newcomer would be the most likely?

I'd say Chrom, Shulk, Palutena, in that order. Mii and Pac-Man are much better suited for E3.
Hopefully they'll use the opportunity to confirm Palutena there; it'd make Mewtwo/K. Rool's confirmation at E3 that much more likely (I am expecting a very highly requested character to show up). But yeah, it'd probably be someone like Chrom or Shulk (unless they want to blindside us again).

That said, I doubt we're getting a newcomer next month. We'll be lucky to see a veteran confirmation.
Not directly related to Smash...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/22/mario-golf-world-tour-getting-dlc-and-season-pass

Season Pass of DLC for Mario Golf 3DS. Adds extra characters and courses. Gives me more hope that the same can be done with Smash.
I'm suspicious of any game that has Day 1 DLC. Could very well be that the content was completed, but cut for extra profit. I'm especially curious about why Rosalina is a DLC when she's a playable character in Smash.

That said, if the content is not on-disc, then it is a good deal. Certainly one of the better Season Pass I've seen. As for how it relates to Smash; it's good for the prospects of DLC, though I doubt they will be Day 1 for Smash; especially if Sakurai favoring Fallout 3's method gives any indication.
We still do not have our new heavyweight.

Will it be King K. Rool, Ridley, Mach Rider strapped onto his bike, another choice, or more than one new heavyweight? Or sadly no new heavyweight?
*crosses finger for K. Rool*
He got that messed up. He actually meant mo-cap for PlayStation All-Stars, so this means nothing.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
In regards to DLC in Smash Bros, I believe that if we get DLC it will likely be in the form of alternate costumes, and maybe one or two characters. Music DLC is also a possibility.

Though, I doubt that there will be DLC if it can't be equal between the two versions.

D

Deleted member

And Final Destination does look similar to Soul Edge and Soul Caliber, but is there really a correlation? There is absolutely no proof.
Maybe not one inherently, but I'm getting a vibe that it will play a role somehow with the Hands....

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Maybe not one inherently, but I'm getting a vibe that it will play a role somehow with the Hands....
That would be cool, and I thought that before too.
Perhaps the Hands are getting a redesign as well?
Master Hand could be designed to have glowing runes on the lining of his glove, and Crazy Hand could gain glowing metal claws, both hands palms are emblazoned with a Smash Bros symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom