• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well since some people are so damn offended by large rosters, I've gone back to a 50 "slot" one. That's only an increase of eleven from Brawl.

Unfortunately, this left no room for Jiggs. Sorry guys, it isn't about Pokemon having too many, it's just because some people think there's an overall roster limit.
That means that the three cuts are Pokemon: Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Jigglypuff. Jiggs was the easiest choice between Lucas/Ike/Falco/Wolf/Jiggs.
Thirteen newcomers: Rosalina, King K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, Greninja, Chrom, Takamaru, Shulk, Villager, Little Mac, Miss Fit, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.
Again, before the toobiggots come a hollerin', Ridley can be both a playable character and a boss. Giga Bowser, enemy R.O.B.s, Toon Link on the train, etc.
Now we wait for the complaints to come rolling in anyway, fire away. Any bets on what it'll be? Ridley again? Roster is still too big? Size seems to be the theme.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
A number like 50 is possible in this scenario, since we have an experienced development team involved and there is always the option of patching if we do get a snag. Though if you wanted a better guarantee, personally I would go lower then that like 25 or 30, though that's just toying with a hypothedical situation.
Remember to keep in mind that this isn't any normal fighting game were talking about where all the stages are flat, etc...... So 25 for balance wise.

D

Deleted member

Now we wait for the complaints to come rolling in anyway, fire away. Any bets on what it'll be? Ridley again? Roster is still too big? Size seems to be the theme.
Here is my complaint...there is no random button! :troll:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Well since some people are so damn offended by large rosters, I've gone back to a 50 "slot" one. That's only an increase of eleven from Brawl.

Unfortunately, this left no room for Jiggs. Sorry guys, it isn't about Pokemon having too many, it's just because some people think there's an overall roster limit.
That means that the three cuts are Pokemon: Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Jigglypuff. Jiggs was the easiest choice between Lucas/Ike/Falco/Wolf/Jiggs.
Thirteen newcomers: Rosalina, King K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, Greninja, Chrom, Takamaru, Shulk, Villager, Little Mac, Miss Fit, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.
Again, before the toobiggots come a hollerin', Ridley can be both a playable character and a boss. Giga Bowser, enemy R.O.B.s, Toon Link on the train, etc.
I'd personally replace Chrom with another Fire Emblem character, but that's just my huge bias against him.
But other than that, I really like the roster, especially since you didn't cut Snake or Ike and added Ridley.

While it's not exactly what I'd like for a roster, that looks really well made!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well, this is pretty similar to my own personal roster, so overall I rather like this one. The key differences between this one and my own are Chrom over Robin and Shulk over Jigglypuff. I do think that a return of Jigglypuff would be more likely than a return of Mewtwo, although I do think it's reasonable to have both. So, I guess the one big thing I would change about this roster is that I'd put Jigglypuff on there somewhere. I would say put Jigglypuff over Shulk, but I understand that that choice may not be favorable in your eyes. Overall, it's a good roster, but I would like to see Jigglypuff on there somewhere.

Ummmm since the rumor/leaks thread went bye bye can I post this article here?

http://gearnuke.com/rumor-another-s...-appears-online-shows-unannounced-characters/

If not I'm sorry just tell me where I can post it

Whoever made this is REALLY talented. I call fake.

One, Wario is in the wrong clothes.

Two, there's some pretty controversial cuts, many of them in fact. Something Sakurai says he's trying to avoid.

Three, Some of that artwork there doesn't look right. The slots should be zoomed in much further.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Two, there's some pretty controversial cuts, many of them in fact. Something Sakurai says he's trying to avoid.

Three, Some of that artwork there doesn't look right. The slots should be zoomed in much further.
Haven't we seen Ganondorf's and Wario's artwork before?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Quite impressive, but I find this rather odd. The reasons you mentioned, for one, and then there's things like Chrom apparently being the only newcomer left to reveal, a zero increase of characters from Brawl, and (while this may sound wierd) there's no Palutena. I'd be fairly surprised if she didn't appear in the final roster.

Also, Chrom's pose matches some concept art of him quite well.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Not to mention a big lack in newcomers.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019

That ganandorf artwork I've seen before...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

It's pretty much fake when you look at the artworks for the unconfirmed characters.

Gune

Smash Lord

Jiggs could easily beat ot all 3 of them for a spot, she's more important to smash than them.

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice

Could be a work in progress screen? Dunno but it is really well done

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Jiggs could easily beat ot all 3 of them for a spot, she's more important to smash than them.
Here we go.

Well she isn't important to Pokemon anymore now is she? One out of 700+ And before the "fairy type" argument comes up, multiple Pokemon were upgraded to that type, and if they cared that much about it, the new Pokemon would have been a fairy. "Original twelve" means jack **** when you consider that Ness was supposed to be replaced in Melee and Jiggs nearly didn't make it into Brawl. "Oh, but they made it anyway," Ness was just damn lucky that EarthBound 64 got canceled.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Here we go.

Well she isn't important to Pokemon anymore now is she? One out of 700+ And before the "fairy type" argument comes up, multiple Pokemon were upgraded to that type, and if they cared that much about it, the new Pokemon would have been a fairy. "Original twelve" means jack **** when you consider that Ness was supposed to be replaced in Melee and Jiggs nearly didn't make it into Brawl. "Oh, but they made it anyway," Ness was just damn lucky that EarthBound 64 got canceled.
Also Jigglypuff was only added to N64 due to Japan popularity in that time.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I agree Sakurai acknowledges Jigglypuff's importance to Smash history, but in no way do I think he's hell bent on it like people act. If Squirtle and Ivysaur can get cut, I think Jigglypuff can too. She's even less important than Squirtle.

Also Jigglypuff was only added to N64 due to Japan popularity in that time.
And only brought back in Melee and Brawl because she's easy to develop.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I agree Sakurai acknowledges Jigglypuff's importance to Smash history, but in no way do I think he's hell bent on it like people act. If Squirtle and Ivysaur can get cut, I think Jigglypuff can too. She's even less important than Squirtle.

And only brought back in Melee and Brawl because she's easy to develop.
Jiggly was bought back in melee cuz no char can be cut in n64.

In brawl due to time constraints sakurai just added Jigglypuff in a hurry. She barely made it in brawl as sakurai mentioned in the past.

Last edited:
Cutting Jigglypuff now at the fourth and fifth installments would be pretty controversial, no?

Three game perfect attendance record. Surely Jigglypuff has some fans.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Jiggly was bought back in melee cuz no char can be cut in n64.

In brawl due to time constraints sakurai just added Jigglypuff in a hurry.
Wasn't Ness supposed to be cut in Melee? Kind of ruins your point on the first one.

With Brawl, I think Jigglypuff was almost cut, but Sakurai decided to do what he did before in Melee and bring in more, easier to develop characters than spend time on harder to develop characters (Such as Mewtwo,and possibly Roy) to make the roster look bigger.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
@ Smash_Veteran_Amtoj Smash_Veteran_Amtoj What potential does Dark Pit have? The staff? I could list two females (one of which is VERY likely) that could also use staffs. The other KI: U weapons? Same very likely female could use such if they wanted to stretch it, and believe me, it would not be first time. Ness only used ONE of his specials in EarthBound. And that is just one of many examples.
@ Louie G. Louie G. You're making it seem like any news is good for everyone. It's not. A lot of people may have liked Rosalina's inclusion, but many hated it too, like @OcarinaOfDoom. People have different tastes.

@ Smash_Veteran_Amtoj Smash_Veteran_Amtoj What potential does Dark Pit have? The staff? I could list two females (one of which is VERY likely) that could also use staffs. The other KI: U weapons? Same very likely female could use such if they wanted to stretch it, and believe me, it would not be first time. Ness only used ONE of his specials in EarthBound. And that is just one of many examples.
No, I just like the idea of using a totally different arsenal. Palutena never looked interesting to me. I don't hate her though. Add her, and I wouldn't mind.

I don't think KI needs another rep anyway.

Funny you mention Ocarina. He's a buddy of mine over at IGN.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
While. I won't count out the possibility of Jigglypuff being cut, she's just too darn classic at this point.
To Pokemon, she may not be so important.
But even Sakurai takes nostalgia into account, and that's where Smash succeeds the most: pure nostalgia.
And everyone has great memories of resting on unsuspecting opponents with Jiggs.
Hence, nostalgia.
Same goes for the rest of the Original 12 (even though Jiggs is the only one remotely on the chopping block).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
At this point I think Sakurai might just be like "****, it! I don't care if Pokemon has more than Mario. Put that Mew **** in there."

FOR THE FANS!!!!

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
No, I just like the idea of using a totally different arsenal. Palutena never looked interesting to me. I don't hate her though. Add her, and I wouldn't mind.

I don't think KI needs another rep anyway.

Funny you mention Ocarina. He's a buddy of mine over at IGN.
I'm confused by what you mean by "different arsenal".
Also, you have an IGN account?

Alright, since you guys said 45 was too little, here's my 48 (apparently a much better number) character roster.

Custom Roster Board.png

Mods, if you consider this quick change spamming, I'm sorry. The rules here are a lot more strict that what I'm used to.

Last edited:
I'm confused by what you mean by "different arsenal".
Also, you have an IGN account?
By different arsenal I mean different weapon types Pit doesn't use. Ah, forget it. I'm not too serious about his inclusion anyway.

And yes, I have an IGN account. Me and OOD have had many a Fire Emblem rep argument...

I would get it, but I wouldn't be very happy about it. I'd be really pissed.
Need an explanation here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom