• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Well we could have said the same thing about Captain Falcon.
Or ROB.
Or Ice Climbers.
Pac-Man has as much to go off of as Sonic, actually.
Point Proven. So far, it seems like the leaker may be right about the newcomers.

I'd add Ike, Snake, and Palutena and replace Jiggly with Mewtwo. I'd probably also add Ridley too.
Ike is one of the easier ones to let go IMO. It makes sense to have the original Fire Emblem protagonist and the newest one each game.

Snake was one of my favorites, but I really doubt he's returning.

I don't see the appeal in Palutena. I actually find more potential in Dark Pit.

Not replacing Jigglypuff. Besides, Mewtwo's done his time. If he returns, cool. If not, well, whatever. I survived Brawl.

I always did prefer Ridley as a boss.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
because I can't think of pacman being in the game whatsoever. I can see him being in there but what moves???????????
Well I can see jack sh*t as far as the future goes and I make no assumptions as far as new comers goes so I don't know, but if I was gonna shoot at sh*t in the dark I would hope to hit Simon Belmont. Anyways, as for my guesses and everyone else's I'd say they probably don't matter cuz chances are we are all wrong and don't even need to think about move sets for our fantasy characters cuz they ain't happening. So why don't you try and think of some moves for him; you know if you can see him in the game after all... I know you don't" think" he is there, but since you "think" he is there throw out some ideas!

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I think the roster has no reason to be below 45 characters. Without sse or transformation characters, I think more time can be devoted to characters and having more newcomers

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
45 characters would inply that either there would be many cuts or few newcomers. Since there is a reluctence to intentionally scrap characters and veterans are being much more prominent with many of them recieving adjustments, we should lean towards the latter.

1. Bring back Ike
2. Add Palutena
3. Add Mewtwo
I still don't understand Palutena's appeal. Kid Icarus has Pit, and that's enough. And yes, I've played Uprising. One of my favorite games for the 3DS.

As for Mewtwo, I'm fine with him staying cut/rejoining. He's done his time, and I survived Brawl.

Mach Rider and Ditto.
The only two you'll ever need.
I don't really like the idea of Mach Rider... Just... Why? I don't see much going here.

I've always liked the idea of characters such as Ditto replacing the Random option.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai mentioned in a interview that he does not want to add too many character because adding a character isn't that simple. It's not addition it's multiplying. Is what he said.

I don't really like the idea of Mach Rider... Just... Why? I don't see much going here.

I've always liked the idea of characters such as Ditto replacing the Random option.
That's an awesome idea about ditto being random instead. However I think ditto may be a pokeball summon because in the direct where it showed the yellow devil there 2 Mario's in one screen. One in the yellow devil explosion and one outside safe from the explosion. The one in the explosion just vanished or could mean destroyed. Also he mentioned somewhere I remember that sakurai wanted to add ditto in brawl but due to wii capabilities he couldn't.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
We can post rosters here, right? Rate mine!

View attachment 12703
Cool roster, I can live with it. :)

But I Think you can put more Characters on it. I Think we are going to get more or less 10 newcomer with two cuts, Ivysaur :( and Squirtle. Put one more row, with Mewtwo, Ridley, Pac Man or Lloyd, Ike and Ridley. Ah, and put Ridley.

EDIT: Palutena. And Ridley.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
He's on a bike. One could do wonders on a bike.
Heck, I'd even settle for Excitebiker. We just need someone with a bike gimmick (and not just for one attack like Wario's Side Special).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai mentioned in a interview that he does not want to add too many character because adding a character isn't that simple. It's not addition it's multiplying. Is what he said.
That's a fundamental thing for pretty much any fighting game. When you add a new factor to the table, you have to analyze everything to ensure that there won't be complications. As the numbers increase, this task becomes more daunting, hence why as a general rule of thumb is the larger a roster is, the more complicated blance becomes.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received

But I Think you can put more Characters on it. I Think we are going to get more or less 10 newcomer with two cuts, Ivysaur :( and Squirtle. Put one more row, with Mewtwo, Ridley, Pac Man or Lloyd, Ike and Ridley. Ah, and put Ridley.
How about all the Nintendo characters :p for a dream roster.

That's a fundamental thing for pretty much any fighting game. When you add a new factor to the table, you have to analyze everything to ensure that there won't be complications. As the numbers increase, this task becomes more daunting, hence why as a general rule of thumb is the larger a roster is, the more complicated blance becomes.
Yes and I mentioned this to the people that are saying they want to have above 35 char and such.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Question- how many would you think is feasible for this game, balance-wise?

That's an awesome idea about ditto being random instead. However I think ditto may be a pokeball summon because in the direct where it showed the yellow devil there 2 Mario's in one screen. One in the yellow devil explosion and one outside safe from the explosion. The one in the explosion just vanished or could mean destroyed. Also he mentioned somewhere I remember that sakurai wanted to add ditto in brawl but due to wii capabilities he couldn't.
That wasn't a clone of Mario. His marker was on the Yellow Devil because he destroyed it.

EDIT: Palutena. And Ridley.
I think 45 is the perfect number. Palutena, like I said, not a big fan of. Don't see much going for her. Ridley is better off as a boss IMO. Not everyone NEEDS to be playable.

Make him the fierce giant dragon thing we know and love.

He's on a bike. One could do wonders on a bike.
Heck, I'd even settle for Excitebiker. We just need someone with a bike gimmick (and not just for one attack like Wario's Side Special).
Them bikes.

Really, if that's the only reason people support him, the game doesn't really need him.

Takamaru...

I'd be cool with him. Seems more like Assist Trophy material to me, since he's not very relevant. No, Nintendo Land doesn't count.

As a fighter, he could end up with a great move set.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
It's not just that, there's other reasons (unique, retro rep, not to mention out of the ordinary, something Sakurai loves).
Nice idea mine would be takamaru being included because well I don't know he gives me the kid Icarus vibe like in brawl :p

It's not just that, there's other reasons (unique, retro rep, not to mention out of the ordinary, something Sakurai loves).
Having a guy hopping around on a bike is too much, even for Sakurai's standards. Pulling another Captain Falcon on him like others have suggested would be unoriginal.

I still don't think we need him.

Maybe he can be an enemy in Smash Run. Charges right at you on his bike, u-turns, and goes at it again till you KO him?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Having a guy hopping around on a bike is too much, even for Sakurai's standards. Pulling another Captain Falcon on him like others have suggested would be unoriginal.

I still don't think we need him.

Maybe he can be an enemy in Smash Run. Charges right at you on his bike, u-turns, and goes at it again till you KO him?
How so? He a guy on a bike. And I'm not referring to only using a bike. He could do tricks on it (like preforming kicks and punches on it).

I dunno, I just like the idea. But to each their own I guess.

Last edited:
How so? He a guy on a bike. And I'm not referring to only using a bike. He could do tricks on it (like preforming kicks and punches on it).

I dunno, I just like the idea. But to each their own I guess.
Yeah, let's leave it at that. You love the idea, I hate it. No need for long arguments if it'll always be stuck at a deadlock.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Anyone think someone from pilotwing 64 being in the game because of the stage/item/symbol shown at the direct.

D

Deleted member

I still can't get over Elecman being selected as the Megaman Assist Trophy instead of someone like Bass, Gutsman, Cutman, Protoman, Dr. Wahwee, etc.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Question- how many would you think is feasible for this game, balance-wise?
A number like 50 is possible in this scenario, since we have an experienced development team involved and there is always the option of patching if we do get a snag. Though if you wanted a better guarantee, personally I would go lower then that like 25 or 30, though that's just toying with a hypothedical situation.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I still can't get over Elecman being selected as the Megaman Assist Trophy instead of someone like Bass, Gutsman, Cutman, Protoman, Dr. Wahwee, etc.
Hey your asking too much :p
Cuz he gave megaman an AWESOME FINAL SMASH AND DID IT BETTER THAN CAPCOM THEMSELVES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom