• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll be upset if Snake gets cut honestly. However, I think he would a prime contender as a DLC character.

At this point I'll be surprised if Snake comes back. I have fear of Kojima's words, and the seemingly cryptic, "This is a once in a lifetime chance Snake!"
That quote can make Solid Snake fans feel uneasy. We haven't seen any Metal Gear media in Smash 4 yet, and yet we have something from Namco.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be fair, Kojima's words could be vague to be vague.
As I doubt he can just drop unrevealed secrets at the drop of the hat.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai's word is always 100% accurate of course.

"Namco won't get Special Treatment"
His word is more accurate then the quotations you provide. He said,

"Just because the game is being cooperatively developed with Namco Bandai involved, that doesn’t at all mean that they’d be given any special consideration for having characters in the game,"

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Right now assuming the gematsu leak is true, this roster is a combination of what I want and expect:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Rosalina & Luma

Link
Zelda
Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon Link

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K Rool

Pikachu
Lucario
Charizard
Greninja
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo

Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight

Villager

Fox
Falco
Wolf

Pit
Palutena

Yoshi

Wario

Marth
Chrom

Olimar & Pikmin

Captain Falcon

Samus
Zero Suit Samus

Shulk

Isaac

Ness
Lucas

Wii Fit Trainer

Ice Climbers

Little Mac

Mr. Game & Watch

R.O.B

Chorus Men

Mii

Sonic

Megaman

Pacman

---------------------

That would make for a roster of 50, I'd be more than happy with it.

If I was to add another two, it would probably be an advance/famicom wars rep (Andy) and Ridley. (even though he's hanging on by a thread right now)

D

Deleted member

If we were to get a character revealed this week, who would it be?
It'd be Ike or Ice Climbers.
I'll be upset if Snake gets cut honestly. However, I think he would be a prime contender as a DLC character.

At this point I'll be surprised if Snake comes back. I have fear of Kojima's words, and the seemingly cryptic, "This is a once in a lifetime chance Snake!"
I don't think Snake would be DLC. I don't think we're getting anyone that wasn't originally planned. Since Snake would be a high priority character if he comes back, he's either in the initial roster or he flat-out isn't showing up. Only Brawl veteran I could see as DLC if cut is Ike (everyone else would be either cut for reasons not relating to time/technical constraints, third-party issues or I see them as a sure bet to be in the initial roster).

I'm going to miss Snake (if he's gone). He was a great character in Brawl and I enjoyed him primarily out of the exotic nature of third-party characters. But it's time for us to prepare for his likely absence and I've already done so since ten months ago.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So. I was experimenting with some recent leaks and rumors and made a roster out of the Sal Leak and the Trophy Theory.
It's not my prediction roster, but it's interesting to see how it looks at least.
And quite frankly, it looks perfect. 52 slots (no Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Snake) and very balanced. I just threw in K. Rool and Mewtwo since there's a lot to back them up.
No retro character confuses me though.
(And I'm on my tablet so no roster yet)

Morbi

Scavenger
So. I was experimenting with some recent leaks and rumors and made a roster out of the Sal Leak and the Trophy Theory.
It's not my prediction roster, but it's interesting to see how it looks at least.
And quite frankly, it looks perfect. 52 slots (no Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Snake) and very balanced. I just threw in K. Rool and Mewtwo since there's a lot to back them up.
No retro character confuses me though.
(And I'm on my tablet so no roster yet)
I apologize; anyone can answer this, what does King K. Rool have to "back him up," I am not denying his importance or staggering requests. But aside from those arbitrary notions, what is something definitive in his favor. I am genuinely curious, every time I ask I, surprisingly, get ignored.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I apologize; anyone can answer this, what does King K. Rool have to "back him up," I am not denying his importance or staggering requests. But aside from those arbitrary notions, what is something definitive in his favor. I am genuinely curious, every time I ask I, surprisingly, get ignored.
Kremlings being in Smash run. Its not a guarantee towards his inclusion, but it does point at his possibilty, and it also suggests that the era of Kremlings in DKC has not gone unnoticed. With that era being recognized, it could be that King K Rool comes along with the Kremlings.

I also think it would be strange to see Kremlings in the gam with no K Rool. That would be a strange decision, IMO.

D

Deleted member

The thought of three blue haired sword wielding lords on the one roster makes my skin crawl.
That's a pretty weak reason to exclude a character. If Chrom comes in with an unique move set, would that still be an excuse to exclude Ike?
There's also Kremlings in Smash Run. It shows that Sakurai has King K. Rool in mind and hasn't forgotten about him. Not saying he's shoe-in, but I would say he's among the more likely characters to show up (even after factoring the Gematsu leak characters).

Morbi

Scavenger
That's a pretty weak reason to exclude a character. If Chrom comes in with an unique move set, would that still be an excuse to exclude Ike?
There's also Kremlings in Smash Run. It shows that Sakurai has King K. Rool in mind and hasn't forgotten about him. Not saying he's shoe-in, but I would say he's among the more likely characters to show up (even after factoring the Gematsu leak characters).
Kremlings being in Smash run. Its not a guarantee towards his inclusion, but it does point at his possibilty, and it also suggests that the era of Kremlings in DKC has not gone unnoticed. With that era being recognized, it could be that King K Rool comes along with the Kremlings.

I also think it would be strange to see Kremlings in the gam with no K Rool. That would be a strange decision, IMO.
Thank you for the response, as both of you have mentioned, it isn't objective evidence; however, it IS evidence.

Espio264

Smash Ace
But Golden, Nack the Weasal is guaranteed on the roster! Why are you so ignorant!?
Nack's a better character than half of the choices people are pulling for, or believe are inevitable from these oh so true leaks.

It'd be Ike or Ice Climbers.
I'd be thrilled with either, especially Ike, but is there reason to believe either of them is coming this week? Or are you just guessing?

The thought of three blue haired sword wielding lords on the one roster makes my skin crawl.
But three Italians in overalls is alright?

It absolutely shouldn't be. That kind of reasoning would have led to Lucario being taken out for Greninja. Too many blue Pokémon with, you know... legs.

D

Deleted member

Nack's a better character than half of the choices people are pulling for, or believe are inevitable from these oh so true leaks.
Wut?
Espio264 said:
I'd be thrilled with either, especially Ike, but is there reason to believe either of them is coming this week? Or are you just guessing?
Path of Radiance 9th anniversary is today, so it's possible Ike gets revealed tomorrow. Ice Climbers could get confirmed due to NES Remix.. It could happen.

It absolutely shouldn't be. That kind of reasoning would have led to Lucario being taken out for Greninja. Too many blue Pokémon with, you know... legs.
Yeah I can't see a good reason to cut Ike at this point.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Wut?

Path of Radiance 9th anniversary is today, so it's possible Ike gets revealed tomorrow. Ice Climbers could get confirmed due to NES Remix.. It could happen.
I said Nack's a better character, not that he ever had a shot in hell to ever be included in a Smash game.

And I see that everyone is thinking about Ice Climbers for NES remix 2, but from everything I've found, they aren't even in it.

Wario's Woods is. Wario seems to be a possibilty.

Kirby's adventure is. Metaknight should be considered.

Dr. Mario is as well, a Doc alternate for Mario makes sense too.

There might be other possibilities, but I really can't find Ice Climbers on there. But I'll end my statement by saying that I'm a fool for trying to put logic to anything Sakurai might decide to do.

D

Deleted member

I said Nack's a better character, not that he ever had a shot in hell to ever be included in a Smash game.
I really don't see how Nack would be a better choice than most characters that are suggested or ones part of the Getmatsu leak.

CalumG

Smash Lord
There's still one question that hasn't been addressed by "Ridley is deconfirmed" people, despite me asking it numerous times.

If Ridley 100% can't be playable on account of being a stage hazard, then what is the deal with R.O.B. in Brawl being a common enemy and also a fighter? Or DK on 75M for that matter? I'd bring up the Toon Link in Smash 4 scenario but I imagine that has been discussed at length (although the only answer I seem to see is "Alfonso can't take the wheel when Ridley joins the battle").

:v

Espio264

Smash Ace
I really don't see how Nack would be a better choice than most characters that are suggested or ones part of the Getmatsu leak.
Better character, not better choice.

Batman's a better character than Spongebob, but I never said they'd be in either.

Long story short, I like Nack, but he'll NEVER be a Smash character. My point was that some of the characters in these "believable" leaks are goofy.

Last edited:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
There's still one question that hasn't been addressed by "Ridley is deconfirmed" people, despite me asking it numerous times.

If Ridley 100% can't be playable on account of being a stage hazard, then what is the deal with R.O.B. in Brawl being a common enemy and also a fighter? Or DK on 75M for that matter? I'd bring up the Toon Link in Smash 4 scenario but I imagine that has been discussed at length (although the only answer I seem to see is "Alfonso can't take the wheel when Ridley joins the battle").
:v
If Ridley was stage hazard AND playable character, it would interfere with the stage too much. The Alfonzo change was an aesthetic change.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Thank you for the response, as both of you have mentioned, it isn't objective evidence; however, it IS evidence.
Theres never really any concrete evidence with this speculation, so we have to go with whatever kind of information we can find,relationships we can make, patterns we can follow, etc.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Two different Ridley's. See: Cranky and Donkey Kong a la 75m.
I don't think there are two different Ridleys. Maybe designs but not two different Ridleys. I could be wrong though, not a huge Ridley fan.
Metal Mario and Giga Bowser were bosses in 64 and Melee.

It's not ridiculous to believe that a version of Ridley could be playable, and a different version could be a boss.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Morbi Morbi
Yeah, like the others mentioned, it's the Kremlings in Smash Run.
It shows that Nintendo still cares about the Kremlings, enough to acknowledge them as iconic enemies.
And yeah, it'd be a little weird for Kremlings to show up and K. Rool to be absent.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't think there are two different Ridleys. Maybe designs but not two different Ridleys. I could be wrong though, not a huge Ridley fan.
There's alot of Ridleys.

Off the top of my head, the original Ridley (Metroid, Super Metroid), the clone (Other M), Meta Ridley (Metroid Prime 1 & 3), Omega Ridley (Metroid Prime 3)

Espio264

Smash Ace
I just want to ask, do you think it is possible for Ridley to be playable and be a boss?
Is it possible? Absolutely.
Too many other things going on in this game to suggest that it couldn't be possible.

Do I think it's really gonna happen? I've lost a lot of hope, but he's still a worthy and understandable character.
I've stopped making guesses at the final roster, and periodically gain/lose faith in other characters I want like Mewtwo and Shulk, but I never fool myself into thinking I know what Sakurai is actually gonna do. And I definitely don't let "leaks" or Sakurai's mindgames count as absolute proof of something.

Though, I'm a hypocrite when it comes to Palutena.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
There's alot of Ridleys.

Off the top of my head, the original Ridley (Metroid, Super Metroid), the clone (Other M), Meta Ridley (Metroid Prime 1 & 3), Omega Ridley (Metroid Prime 3)
Actually, Meta and Omega Ridley are simply Ridley in other forms. The only Ridleys that are distinct characters are the clone and the original.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Since I promised i'm not picking a side on Ridley, i'll have my own conversation.

So since we saw the Wire Frame costume for Mac-Attack, can we basically confirm that alternate costumes will be a real thing?

Personally, I think so, but only for certain characters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Actually, Meta and Omega Ridley are simply Ridley in other forms. The only Ridleys that are distinct characters are the clone and the original.
Well, still, one of two forms is definitely a stage hazard and my opinion, and luckily for us speculators, it happens to be the clone nobody liked at all.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
MY predictions for the next newcomers and returning characters are:

THE RETURNING CHARACTERS 90% SURE
1. Captain Falcon - We saw Samurai Goro @ Nintendo direct.
2. Ice Climbers - We saw the Polar Bear @ smash run video. They have Rosalina and Luma working on 3ds.
3. Wario - They still have Wario assist trophy and added a new one which is Ashley.
4. Ness - There was a pic of the day where it showed Earthbound items.
Also if u add all these 4 returning char the roster will have 21 returning char just like brawl did excluding third party char like sonic.

7 NEWCOMERS + 5 newcomers already shown to us
- WFT - Villager - LIttle mac - Greninja - Rosalina and Luma
excluding Megaman third party character. Which are 12 Newcomers like brawl had and Melee. Excluding (Wii fit Trainer & Mii) because I think he had to add those characters to represent them.

- Basing off a rumor from the same leaker who mentioned before the reveal of these characters which are WFT, Megaman, Villager, Little mac. Leaving Pac-man and Mii. The leaker then mentioned those 4 characters stated below before Nintendo direct (shulk to Chorus kids).
- at the bottom of each character quiz shown u will see 7 shadowed characters that's already in the game but could hint that there will be 7 newcomers. Sakurai did mention in a interview that he can't add a lot more characters than brawl did. Therefore
21 + 14 = 33 Characters.
+ 2 NEW third-party char (megaman & pacman) = 35 Total.
+ 2 not planned char by sakurai just added to represent parts of Nintendo ( Wii fit train & Mii) = 37 Total.

1. Shulk - Very popular "Xenoblade".
2. Palutena - It seems Palutena has been hinted quite a lot like Psuedo-Palutena Quiz trophy shown @ direct, also an image leak of her being in the 3ds version of the game.
3. Chrom - Seems pretty obvious and Tiki from fire emblem Quiz Trophy shown @ direct.
4. Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven- In my eyes looks like a replacement for Mr. Game and Watch. The leaker did know about W Fit Train being in the game. Therefore he could be right about this character too. Plus Sakurai <3 surprising us whether its good or bad.

- Based off the Quiz Trophy including Chrom and Palutena.
5. Anthony Higgs - Sakurai been representing Metroid Other M too much. So I'm wondering is he just doing that because his trying to add another character into the Metroid series. Also that King Ki Hunter Quiz Trophy shown @ direct. In addition they added the same stage where Anthony higgs fell in the game Metroid Other M against Ridley while trying to save Samus. Also this char feels like a replacement for Snake.
6. Ganondorf -Will have new moves making him a newcomer because captain falcon can be customized with custok move sets to become playable as brawl/melee version of ganon. Therefore i think that toon ganon will join which makes sense of why he added toon link even though his a clone of link and can be made through custom move sets. him because of the Fi Quiz trophy shown @ direct.

- My own guess and it could be either or,
7 . Takamaru from Nazo no Murasame - Sakurai did mention of adding more retro characters. His sort of the East vs West going on with Little mac.
OR
7. Lark or Goose from Pilotwings 64 - In the game they have Pilotwing 64 item and stage and the symbol.

2 Last Characters

The leaker mentioned those 2 along with Megaman, WFT, Villager, Little mac before e3 2013.
These aren't included as the seven NEWCOMERS because of excluding third party characters and Mii.
8. Pac-man - Seems like it because Namco is helping developing the game and they had assist trophies from a Namco game.
9. Mii - I'm hoping this isn't true and could possibly be just an extra slot. Mii may not even be playable in online.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Since I promised i'm not picking a side on Ridley, i'll have my own conversation.

So since we saw the Wire Frame costume for Mac-Attack, can we basically confirm that alternate costumes will be a real thing?

Should I read everything you write in hank hill's voice? It's fun that way. :)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
"Ridley can't be a boss and a playable character, it wouldn't make sense, what if Ridley was fighting Ridley?"
Well you know, Samus and Zero Suit Samus are now separate, and they're the same character in different states of dress...
Or Dr. Mario and Mario in Melee for that matter. Plus you could play as Bowser in Melee... And Bowser was a boss in Melee, ala Giga Bowser, what kind of sense does it make for Bowser to be fighting Bowser, right? When people think of Boss characters, they think of Master Hand, but remember they have playable styled boss characters, again, Giga Bowser. He has the same moveset as Bowser but is just enhanced, tell me again why Ridley is some kind of exception?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think that alts are a perfect candidate for DLC - easy to make, not an essential part of the game, but the fans would just eat it right up.

As long as it isn't overpriced (*cough*UMvC3*cough*).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom