• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
look's like i can't download roster maker so I'll just have to type my roster out it contains 52 characters so here we go

Mario characters
Mario
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Rosalina

Donkey kong Country characters
Donkey kong
Diddy Kong
King K Rool
Dixie Kong

Legend of Zelda characters
Link
Toon Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Tetra

Metroid characters
Samus
Ridley

F zero characters
Captain Falcon

Earthbound characters
Ness
Lucas

Yoshi characters
Yoshi

Kirby characters
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Bananna Dee

Star Fox characters
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal

Pokemon characters
Pikachu
Lucario
Jiggly puff
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer

Fire Emblem characters
Marth
Ike
Chrom

Kid Icarus characters
Pit
Palutena

Pikmin characters
Olimar

Wario ware characters
Wario

Other
Ice climbers
Mr Game and Watch
Rob
Villager
Wii fit Trainer
Little Mac
Takamaru

3rd party
Mega man
Sonic
Snake
Pac man

i apologize for making such a long post but here y'all go hope you guys like it
I like it!
The only thing I have to comment on is the lack of Historical/Obscure Retro character. While it's not shoe-in, I think there will be one.

People are really overestimating Bandana Dee's chances.
I agree.
I have no problem with Bandana Dee, but I feel people are overestimating the probability of a Kirby newcomer all together.

Kirby doesn't need another character. Its main cast is already there.
This.
Maybe next Smash game, but other series' are in need of a newcomer more than Kirby.

The only thing that makes me question the "main cast is already here" statement is the fact that Mario has Rosalina and many people predict a Zelda newcomer.
But they seem to be exceptions since they are the main Nintendo series.

So basically, a Kirby newcomer is not needed and never will be unless someone becomes a main character, but one may be heavily wanted in the next game, thus making one likely due to popularity.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It depends on the intent of your roster, if you want individuals from Smashboards to perceive it as likely, go ahead and add a facetiously "shoe-in" character like K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac, Palutena, Chrom, Shulk. If you want to get really diverse, go crazy? Maybe add Dixie Kong or Isaac.
Very few people view K.Rool, Ridley, or really any of those characters as shoe ins. At least I don't see too many users who do.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I would honestly assert the complete opposite, everyone underestimates him as they arbitrarily perceive Kirby as "complete." He is undoubtedly the most suitable candidate (as one of the most prevalent and iconic characters yet to make an appearance), so why is the most suitable candidate from one of Nintendo's most prominent franchises "overestimated." Nobody even predicts him, there are maybe half a dozen on this forum that are dedicated to the notion that he may appear, I don't see him competing against anyone else.

The same could be said about Krystal.
Bandana Dee, IMO, is in a similar position to Toad. Part of a generic population that has been made special due to his "bandana and spear." Until I see Toad, I am not convinced that Dee will make it in. Once i see that happen, then i will probably consider him a LOT more likely.

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
It depends on the intent of your roster, if you want individuals from Smashboards to perceive it as likely, go ahead and add a facetiously "shoe-in" character like K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac, Palutena, Chrom, Shulk. If you want to get really diverse, go crazy? Maybe add Dixie Kong or Isaac.
I already have most of those characters in my roster

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I understand so I'll just take him out and replace him for someone but I don't know who to put in his place any suggestions
Perhaps a character from an unrepresented series, your existing ones seem pretty well covered.

I would honestly assert the complete opposite, everyone underestimates him as they arbitrarily perceive Kirby as "complete." He is undoubtedly the most suitable candidate (as one of the most prevalent and iconic characters yet to make an appearance), so why is the most suitable candidate from one of Nintendo's most prominent franchises "overestimated." Nobody even predicts him, there are maybe half a dozen on this forum that are dedicated to the notion that he may appear, I don't see him competing against anyone else.

The same could be said about Krystal.
Just because he is next in line doesn't mean he is a necessary addition, his place in the series is still a ways below Dedede and MK. He's had what, one notable playable appearance? It's not like Kirby is a series so large it's going to take from the next tier of candidates like Mario.

Of course he could work, but being the fourth character in a series doesn't matter if the series has its principal cast already included. The only reason (or at least the main reason) people even suggest him is to give Kirby another character, not because of Bandana Dee himself. If there was a Kirby character that had TWO notable relatively recent playable appearances instead of Bandana Dee's one, you can bet that's the one that people would suggest instead. Being a feasible addition is far from the only thing necessary to actually be a likely addition.

And yeah, Krystal is a pretty unlikely choice at this point as well, but at least she has a fair amount of demand (even if not in every region) and a fair bit more importance and prominence within her series.

Morbi

Scavenger
I like it!
The only thing I have to comment on is the lack of Historical/Obscure Retro character. While it's not shoe-in, I think there will be one.

I agree.
I have no problem with Bandana Dee, but I feel people are overestimating the probability of a Kirby newcomer all together.

This.
Maybe next Smash game, but other series' are in need of a newcomer more than Kirby.

The only thing that makes me question the "main cast is already here" statement is the fact that Mario has Rosalina and many people predict a Zelda newcomer.
But they seem to be exceptions since they are the main Nintendo series.

So basically, a Kirby newcomer is not needed and never will be unless someone becomes a main character, but one may be heavily wanted in the next game, thus making one likely due to popularity.
Entirely subjective based assumptions, that isn't direct evidence that is pertinent as to why Kirby doesn't deserve or need another representative. All that tells us is that you FEEL a certain way, you PRESUME something to be true.

Does anyone have a real reason that Bandanna Dee isn't likely? I mean aside from Waddle Dee, Dedede's side-special? That is circumstantial at best; however, I could certainly see why one would interpret that as evidence.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Very few people view K.Rool, Ridley, or really any of those characters as shoe ins. At least I don't see too many users who do.
I don't consider any newcomers shoe-in. Though I do view some newcomers as "pretty likely."

Shoe-in mean guaranteed, and even if you have one hundred justifications for a newcomer to be in Smash, Sakurai may simply not like him/her and say "nope, not in my game."

The only characters I view as shoe-in are veterans that have no reason to be cut, for example Ness, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, and Meta Knight.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee would be the biggest waste of a character. I'm sorry, more people would be unhappy with his addition than happy with it.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
It sort of irks me to see people in RTC giving Waddle Dee 80 and 90 percents, which is higher than some of the necessary veterans (Wario, MK, etc.)
Entirely subjective based assumptions, that isn't direct evidence that is pertinent as to why Kirby doesn't deserve or need another representative. All that tells us is that you FEEL a certain way, you PRESUME something to be true.

Does anyone have a real reason that Bandanna Dee isn't likely? I mean aside from Waddle Dee, Dedede's side-special? That is circumstantial at best; however, I could certainly see why one would interpret that as evidence.
Bandana Dee, IMO, is in a similar position to Toad. Part of a generic population that has been made special due to his "bandana and spear." Until I see Toad, I am not convinced that Dee will make it in. Once i see that happen, then i will probably consider him a LOT more likely.
Pretty much sums it here. He's still spart of the general population, and part of someone elses moveset. I would also consider Toad as more of a Nintendo Allstar than Waddle Dee. He's alot more recognizable

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
People who support Bandana Dee but hate Chrom because "recency" make me laugh.

Bandanna Dee really has little going for him. Unique? Every newcomer has that. I mean it's something to consider obviously, but that isn't going to give him a leg up on everybody else.

Importance? Hardly. Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo, and Palutena all outrank him in this regard, and with the fact that Sakurai wants more new series in makes it look even worse.

Series balance? Kirby isn't on the level of Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon. I'd say it's roughly a tad higher than Star Fox. So really, I don't think it should get anybody this time. Same with Star Fox.

The last being, does it make people want to play the game? I have a hard time thinking that Bandanna Dee would be able to garner more than a niche group of casuals to want to play.

Don't overrate his chances. He can happen. But he's far from likely.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I see we're starting a Bandana Dee debate, good thing I dropped in just now. This will be fun.

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Bandana Dee would be the biggest waste of a character. I'm sorry, more people would be unhappy with his addition than happy with it.
People thought that about Rob too but everyone warmed up to him eventually didn't they

Morbi

Scavenger
Perhaps a character from an unrepresented series, your existing ones seem pretty well covered.

Just because he is next in line doesn't mean he is a necessary addition, his place in the series is still a ways below Dedede and MK. He's had what, one notable playable appearance? It's not like Kirby is a series so large it's going to take from the next tier of candidates like Mario.

Of course he could work, but being the fourth character in a series doesn't matter if the series has its principal cast already included. The only reason (or at least the main reason) people even suggest him is to give Kirby another character, not because of Bandana Dee himself. If there was a Kirby character that had TWO notable relatively recent playable appearances instead of Bandana Dee's one, you can bet that's the one that people would suggest instead. Being a feasible addition is far from the only thing necessary to actually be a likely addition.

And yeah, Krystal is a pretty unlikely choice at this point as well, but at least she has a fair amount of demand (even if not in every region) and a fair bit more importance and prominence within her series.
That isn't entirely true; many, such as myself, support Bandanna Dee as he is a prominent character to the series. In fact, I am far more concerned with the longevity the character has endured than ANY playable appearance. His move-set potential offers something entirely diverse, I don't want Waddle Dee because he is important, I want Waddle Dee because I enjoy the character, he is the ONLY Kirby character that I adore. His weapon alone gives him an essence of uniqueness. I do agree with your sentiment though, there are supporters of Waddle Dee just because he is next-in-line, but that doesn't alter any of his merits. He fits in the Smash universe and while Kirby isn't the most iconic Nintendo franchise, it is certainly prevalent and Sakurai is closely associated with the series.

You have to admit, Sakurai would at the very least consider Bandanna Dee, he might find it just as excessive as you do; however, it is certainly going to be something he contemplates.

The Krystal example wasn't necessarily comparing the two characters, it had more to do with the association of one arbitrary notion inciting so many detractors. With Bandanna Dee it is always "Kirby is fine as is" and with Krystal it is always "Star Fox is a dead series." It isn't fair to take one overt assumption and pretend as though that is an objective reason that the character will not make it as a playable.

That being said, given the limited roster space under time constraints, I don't necessarily find Bandanna Dee to be the most feasible either, I just believe he is WAY more likely than many give him credit for (as they blatantly dismiss him on a whim).

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
For the record, I'm impartial to Bandana Dee. However, I'd venture that he'd have lower priority, as there are many others that are either essential, or more urgent additions over Dee (e.g. Brawl veterans, new DK/FE/Zelda/Metroid characters, 3rd Parties, etc.).

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It sort of irks me to see people in RTC giving Waddle Dee 80 and 90 percents, which is higher than some of the necessary veterans (Wario, MK, etc.)
You know we don't vote on necessary vets like Wario and MK right?

Sheik, Lucario, Ike, Lucas, Toon Link, Young Link, Roy, Mewtwo, Pichu, Dr. Mario, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Snake, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, R.O.B, Mr. Game and Watch, and for some stupid reason; Ganondorf(yeah I don't know either) are the only vets we've rated. Everyone else is exempt as there is little chance of them being dropped.

He's a Waddle Dee with a bandana on his head. I'd be like putting in Captain Toad or something.
Brilliant idea. Let's have both.

Most people by and large will warm up to just about any addition despite what they might say now.
Quoted for truth.

With the possible exception of Young Link.

Does anyone miss Young Link?

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Exactly. Based on prior knowledge and evidence, I can assume or feel that Bandana Dee isn't likely, assuming likely means important or necessary to the roster.
This is how all predicting works, by having a personal opinion based on prior knowledge or evidence.

Though I am not saying Bandana Dee is UNlikely. I am merely saying that he has an "average" chance, meaning that he is not necessary in any way, but his inclusion does make sense and would not surprise me.
And again, the main reason I am doubtful about Bandana Dee is not as a character himself, but if the series even needs a newcomer.

So basically I don't know if Kirby is going to get a newcomer, but if it does it will most likely be Bandana Dee.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Bandana Dee is seen as unlikely because most of the fanbase is satisfied with the Kirby representation as it is. There isn't really a pressing need for more Kirby characters at the moment.

His situation is rather similar to Toad before Toad was disconfirmed. Not saying that Dee will necessarily suffer the same fate, but it's a very real possibility as well.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
So basically I don't know if Kirby is going to get a newcomer, but if it does it will most likely be Bandana Dee.
This is mostly my thoughts. A lot of my recent work has been on not only what detractors he has in general, but other competition. My most likely thoughts are some characters such as Gooey or Dark Matter are his only competition. My opinion right now is that he has a chance, but not a good priority.
There's also Dedede's Side Special. At the moment, Kirby seems rather complete to many, though in the future, I doubt that will be the case.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Most people by and large will warm up to just about any addition despite what they might say now.
No, I still haven't forgiven Game and Watch or R.O.B., and I probably never will. I have warmed up to the Ice Climbers, but that was VERY recent, it took me about a decade. I wouldn't mind if they didn't make it into Smash 4.

People who support Bandana Dee but hate Chrom because "recency" make me laugh.

Bandanna Dee really has little going for him. Unique? Every newcomer has that. I mean it's something to consider obviously, but that isn't going to give him a leg up on everybody else.

Importance? Hardly. Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo, and Palutena all outrank him in this regard, and with the fact that Sakurai wants more new series in makes it look even worse.

Series balance? Kirby isn't on the level of Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon. I'd say it's roughly a tad higher than Star Fox. So really, I don't think it should get anybody this time. Same with Star Fox.

The last being, does it make people want to play the game? I have a hard time thinking that Bandanna Dee would be able to garner more than a niche group of casuals to want to play.

Don't overrate his chances. He can happen. But he's far from likely.
Luckily I support Chrom, but even then, Bandanna Dee, and extension of Waddle Dee, has been around for a LONG time. This isn't just a one game wonder or anything, he has been making cameos for as long as I remember, and as I stated, that is more important to me (than playable status or whatever, as though that is relevant).

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Pretty much sums it here. He's still spart of the general population, and part of someone elses moveset. I would also consider Toad as more of a Nintendo Allstar than Waddle Dee. He's alot more recognizable
Welp, it's been fun Yoshi, Pikachu, Jigglypuff and R.O.B.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
GUYS.

Dark Matter :troll:
Honestly, I can see it happening. I don't want to, but it's a long, long shot. Kirby really lost it's villain after Dedede got all soft on us. We can go for 3 and a villain or a quartet in the future if we were to go for a 4th Kirby slot, provided Sakurai believes that should happen.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
God, this Bandana Dee debates are so unnecessary.
It's so repetitive and has the same crappy arguments like Kirby doesn't need another character or he is a Waddle Dee with a hat.
It's just...lame.

Morbi

Scavenger
Exactly. Based on prior knowledge and evidence, I can assume or feel that Bandana Dee isn't likely, assuming likely means important or necessary to the roster.
This is how all predicting works, by having a personal opinion based on prior knowledge or evidence.

Though I am not saying Bandana Dee is UNlikely. I am merely saying that he has an "average" chance, meaning that he is not necessary in any way, but his inclusion does make sense and would not surprise me.
And again, the main reason I am doubtful about Bandana Dee is not as a character himself, but if the series even needs a newcomer.

No; there is no aspect of prior knowledge or evidence, it is a subjective assumption that you are basing on empirical data.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No, I still haven't forgiven Game and Watch or R.O.B., and I probably never will. I have warmed up to the Ice Climbers, but that was VERY recent, it took me about a decade. I wouldn't mind if they didn't make it into Smash 4.

Luckily I support Chrom, but even then, Bandanna Dee, and extension of Waddle Dee, has been around for a LONG time. This isn't just a one game wonder or anything, he has been making cameos for as long as I remember, and as I stated, that is more important to me (than playable status or whatever, as though that is relevant).
Yes, but the character Waddle Dee itself, in it's most important appearances, has basically been the new guy.

If he didn't have that, I doubt he would have the support he has now.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
It's so repetitive and has the same crappy arguments like Kirby doesn't need another character or he is a Waddle Dee with a hat.
It's just...lame.
You know who else is lame?
Bandana Dee.:troll:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
goodness i soo did not expect my simple roster prediction to turn into an all out Bananna Dee war I'm gonna guess that stuff like that is common here in smashboards

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That isn't entirely true; many, such as myself, support Bandanna Dee as he is a prominent character to the series. In fact, I am far more concerned with the longevity the character has endured than ANY playable appearance. His move-set potential offers something entirely diverse, I don't want Waddle Dee because he is important, I want Waddle Dee because I enjoy the character, he is the ONLY Kirby character that I adore. His weapon alone gives him an essence of uniqueness. I do agree with your sentiment though, there are supporters of Waddle Dee just because he is next-in-line, but that doesn't alter any of his merits. He fits in the Smash universe and while Kirby isn't the most iconic Nintendo franchise, it is certainly prevalent and Sakurai is closely associated with the series.
That is why I amended my point to say the main reason he has support, not the sole reason. This is how popularity trends go; there are always those that support the character because they genuinely like the character, but there are also those that support them because they are a likely character, and perhaps not their first choice, but the only choice they see feasible. As far as Kirby reps go, that seems to be where many fall with Bandana Dee.

You have to admit, Sakurai would at the very least consider Bandanna Dee, he might find it just as excessive as you do; however, it is certainly going to be something he contemplates.
We can't pretend to know what or what not Sakurai considers. It's not like Bandana Dee is going to be topping any polls that grab Sakurai's attention.

It's entirely possible Sakurai didn't even think about Ridley and Krystal in a playable capacity during the Brawl-era, so for all we know a character like Bandana Dee wouldn't cross his radar, especially if he thinks his series is represented adequately as it is.

The Krystal example wasn't necessarily comparing the two characters, it had more to do with the association of one arbitrary notion inciting so many detractors. With Bandanna Dee it is always "Kirby is fine as is" and with Krystal it is always "Star Fox is a dead series." It isn't fair to take one overt assumption and pretend as though that is an objective reason that the character will not make it as a playable.
Both of those points are valid, though SF's is a bit of an overstatement. Kirby does already have its principal cast, and Sakurai doesn't expand past the principal cast unless he implements semi-clones (of which it's very unlikely Bandana Dee would be) or if the series is that of Mario levels, which Kirby isn't. It isn't subjective, it's objective; there is no precedent of Sakurai taking from the "next round" of picks for a series the size of Kirby's when it comes to original priority characters.

And if Star Fox was an active series, Krystal would most likely be in a much different place than she is now, but that's by no means the only point against her.

That being said, given the limited roster space under time constraints, I don't necessarily find Bandanna Dee to be the most feasible either, I just believe he is WAY more likely than many give him credit for (as they blatantly dismiss him on a whim).
Why? Because he's feasible? That really doesn't mean much, there are an abundance of feasible characters. Because he's next in line for Kirby? That implies Kirby must be getting a new character, which is far from true considering their main characters are all already present.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
The day dark matter is confirmed is the day I'd avoid Chandelure.
Certainly, if he is DCed, I'll simply pull in support for another certain character.
Shulk and Tuna.

I simply think at some point or another the whole "Kirby is complete" arguement will slowly become a tad, I don't know, obsolete? Maybe not this Smash, maybe not the next, but a series can sometimes go from being whole to a part again.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's just...lame.
Arguments tend to repeat themselves in threads like these, though it doesn't make the personal opinions and criticisms any less valid.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
goodness i soo did not expect my simple roster prediction to turn into an all out Bananna Dee war I'm gonna guess that stuff like that is common here in smashboards
Yeah... It happens.

Most of the time we don't mean any harm it's just most of us want our opinions heard.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Fairly common.

Some just dislike suggestions outside the Smashboards Elite Four(Ridley, King K. Rool, Little Mac, Palutena), the fan favourite retro of Takamaru, the returning Melee vet of Mewtwo, and then a toss up between Shulk or Isaac. Sometimes Dixie is allowed to be acceptable too. Sometimes.

For gods sake don't even get us started on the Roy Vs. Chrom debates. You think Bandana Dee is heated, wait for Fire Emblem talk.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I agree. One popular example would be Wii Fit Trainer.
And Rosalina for me, mainly because I hated the fact that she was slapped onto everything that had Mario in it. Though I have come to realize she is basically another Wario or Daisy, who appeared in one game, but then started to appear in almost everything possible. Though Daisy is practically dying in canon and popularity.

I wonder if this will be the same for Bandana Dee in the Kirby series. Since he appeared playable in RTD, will he bee a continuing and recurring character now?

As for this whole "Bandana Dee = Toad" thing, Bandana Dee is extremely different.

Toad had ALOT of competition for a Mario newcomer. He was going against Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Paper Mario, Rosalina, and many others.

Bandana Dee on the other hand has practically no one going against him, except for a couple one-shot villains like Magalor or Marx.(unless for some reason Sakurai wants to go with a retro Kirby newcomer like Gooey or Adeline.)

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
...But would you have said that before her reveal?
To be honest, no. I'm not gonna pretend to say that I think she always made ssense because I never even fathomed the thought of her playable. So you got me there. I just believe her merits for getting in, being who she was from the franchise that she hailed from gives her credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom