• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well, you're advocating Black Shadow, which is coming across to me as you wanting another F-Zero character. The series may not actually be "dead," but it hasn't done anything outside of a mini game in Nintendo Land.
I could care less if Black Shadow isn't in the roster, the guy is just somebody I see potential in. For the same reasons you feel Krystal can get in.
Well, Adventures was (technically) a main game in the series while Hyrule Warriors is a spin off being made by an outside source, so Adventures counts for something. Krystal was also made into a permanent part of the series, so she is still prevalent.
I suppose that's true.
Like I said, the major reason I see Krystal as having a chance this time is because Sakurai is looking for unique characters. You might be able to come up with a unique moveset for Black Shadow, but that doesn't inherently give him something that Sakurai himself can see, you're making stuff up so as to give him a reason to get in. Krystal already has a staff that gives her good potential, Black Shadow doesn't have anything outright.
Seriously, I'm "making things up"?
http://smashboards.com/threads/watashi-wa-shinen-shinenzuuu-a-black-shadow-support-thread.324575/
Research a bit my friend, before your accuse people my friend- and before you say something like how the anime shouldn't mea anything or something like that. This is essentially why Black Shadow is the 2nd most popular F-Zero character, and the Pokémon franchise says hello.

It was still made with the intention of being ported, obviously games made in Japan are going to cater to Japan more, that's a given. Being exclusive to Japan isn't something that will hold a character back, as each game bar the first has had at least one, as Lucas' game was never released elsewhere.
I am aware of this, this has generally been the case. Which is why one Japanese-Only character is okay, but two would be pushing it. Wouldn't you think?
I still don't entirely agree with this, Sakurai's criteria for third party characters are that they must be iconic and must have had a game on a Nintendo console. I'm probably forgetting something here, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have "must make people want to buy the game" as a criteria.
http://smashboards.com/threads/game...cter-virtue-day-23-waluigi-wonder-red.340308/
That's still regardless of the fact that Animal Crossing did indeed get a stage even though it had no character, even if he thinks it has no suitable character. That's the reason I don't think Little Mac is likely, because there's the possibility that he doesn't think Little Mac is suitable, but still made a stage for him.
Define suitable, because I don't fully understand what you mean by him not being suitable other than your constant mentioning of you not being a fan of Punch-Out!!.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Why? What's happening next month?
Yoshi's New Island comes out in Europe and America on March 14th. However, I doubt we will be seeing Yoshi on that date since Sakurai doesn't really reveal any characters during non-Japanese releases.

Well there was Luigi but that was more due to the Year of Luigi and all....

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yoshi's New Island comes out in Europe and America on March 14th. However, I doubt we will be seeing Yoshi on that date since Sakurai doesn't really reveal any characters during non-Japanese releases.

Yoshi: Help me!

Anyway, Sakurai typically follows Japanese releases only. Luigi was only really an exception to the rule for the representation of his own year.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I could care less if Black Shadow isn't in the roster, the guy is just somebody I see potential in. For the same reasons you feel Krystal can get in.
I suppose that's true.
Seriously, I'm "making things up"?
http://smashboards.com/threads/watashi-wa-shinen-shinenzuuu-a-black-shadow-support-thread.324575/
Research a bit my friend, before your accuse people my friend- and before you say something like how the anime shouldn't mea anything or something like that. This is essentially why Black Shadow is the 2nd most popular F-Zero character, and the Pokémon franchise says hello.
I am aware of this, this has generally been the case. Which is why one Japanese-Only character is okay, but two would be pushing it. Wouldn't you think?

http://smashboards.com/threads/game...cter-virtue-day-23-waluigi-wonder-red.340308/
Define suitable, because I don't fully understand what you mean by him not being suitable other than your constant mentioning of you not being a fan of Punch-Out!!.
Ah, flame wars.

?????????????

Smash Master
I know Yoshi's New Island doesn't come out in Japan next month, but it is being released in America and Europe.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Well, I mean I guess I can wait for the Japanese release for Yoshi, although I'll admit the wait for my main, and only Smash 64 starter vet is killing me, even though he's a lock.

When is it getting released in Japan again?

?????????????

Smash Master
Well, I mean I guess I can wait for the Japanese release for Yoshi, although I'll admit the wait for my main, and only Smash 64 starter vet is killing me, even though he's a lock.

When is it getting released in Japan again?
Unspecified Summer.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

Today's Pic of the day makes it look exactly like Ness's head in the TV. Or that's just me...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
\Seriously, I'm "making things up"?

I meant "you" in general, as in Black Shadow fans making up a moveset for him (I'm sorry it came off that way, I wasn't trying to accuse you). Which is still exactly what I'm getting from that thread, someone who watched the anime (which doesn't count, for multiple reasons) and made up something for him. Why does it not count? You may bring up Pokemon, but other than the Pokemon saying their names (which is something even GameFreak has added to the games with Pikachu at least) and a few moves resembling ones from the anime, all of it is from the games. The reason some of the moves resemble the anime? At the time Sakurai made SSB, Pokemon was just a Game Boy game, and the sprites hardly had enough to translate into a 3D character in a fighting game, so Sakurai had to improvise. Some people say the movies influence who Sakurai chooses, but this isn't true either, since he goes to GameFreak and asks them about what Pokemon to add.

I don't think two Japan-only characters would be pushing it, I don't really see why anyone should care, but I guess that's an opinion. As for those criteria you posted, those are for characters in general, not for third party characters. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, as being third party does leave him questionable.

I'm speaking hypothetically, of course we can see moveset potential in Mac, but this all leads back to what I said about Black Shadow. We can make up a moveset for him, but how is Sakurai going to know that we did? There's no guarantee that Sakurai will be able to think of a moveset too, there's the possibility that he sees Mac as nothing but an assist trophy that can throw out a few punches, we can't tell what he's thinking until he actually tells us, or when the game comes out.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Honestly, I don't know what's the problem people have with Japan-only characters. If they add something new to the roster, why not?

Takamaru is one of the characters I'd like to see in Smash, for example. Also, we had Marth and Roy in Melee, and Lucas and Marth in Brawl. (Marth isn't Japan-only anymore, though. Nor is Roy, if Awakening's DLC is anything to go by.)

So many new mods today. :crazy:
More people to rule over this thread with an iron fist. :evil:

(I'm joking, obviously. Anyway, always try to keep this thread on-topic. We don't want the previous situation to repeat itself, now do we?)

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If Takamaru is in SSB4, do you think he has the design of his game box art or a design closer to the one he has in Samurai Warriors?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, here I go.

And along with it, here's another roster which contains other potential contenders that could also work but that I finally scrapped for various reasons, and can still be DLC or AT characters :

I'll give some comments and reasons for my choices such like my famous cut (trust me, cutting him was like mutilating a part of my soul, even if I'm not a big user of him), but I'm gonna be pretty busy right now, so please tell what are your opinions on those and see ya.​

?????????????

Smash Master
If Takamaru is in SSB4, do you think he has the design of his game box art or a design closer to the one he has in Samurai Warriors?
I think something closer to his box art would be more stylistically appropriate.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think something closer to his box art would be more stylistically appropriate. That's my opinion there.
I agree. His design in Samurai Warriors is a bit too gritty, but then again we have characters like Snake in the series.

Overall I just think his design in the box art is more uh... "Nintendo-ish".

?????????????

Smash Master
I'll give some comments and reasons for my choices such like my famous cut (trust me, cutting him was like mutilating a part of my soul, even if I'm not a big user of him), but I'm gonna be pretty busy right now, so please tell what are your opinions on those and see ya.
Looks pretty solid; the only thing I would question IS the "famous cut." I'll wait for your reason, but I don't think there's a need to have two characters from Awakening in favor of removing Ike.

I agree. His design in Samurai Warriors is a bit too gritty, but then again we have characters like Snake in the series.

Overall I just think his design in the box art is more uh... "Nintendo-ish".
For me, I feel like this is Takamaru's look; the one associated with him for the game he is from, while the Samurai Warriors look was to make him stylized for that game. For that same reason, I think Snake is fine the way he is as well.

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Well, here I go.

And along with it, here's another roster which contains other potential contenders that could also work but that I finally scrapped for various reasons, and can still be DLC or AT characters :

I'll give some comments and reasons for my choices such like my famous cut (trust me, cutting him was like mutilating a part of my soul, even if I'm not a big user of him), but I'm gonna be pretty busy right now, so please tell what are your opinions on those and see ya.​
i like it so it approve

D

Deleted member

I meant "you" in general, as in Black Shadow fans making up a moveset for him (I'm sorry it came off that way, I wasn't trying to accuse you). Which is still exactly what I'm getting from that thread, someone who watched the anime (which doesn't count, for multiple reasons) and made up something for him. Why does it not count? You may bring up Pokemon, but other than the Pokemon saying their names (which is something even GameFreak has added to the games with Pikachu at least) and a few moves resembling ones from the anime, all of it is from the games. The reason some of the moves resemble the anime? At the time Sakurai made SSB, Pokemon was just a Game Boy game, and the sprites hardly had enough to translate into a 3D character in a fighting game, so Sakurai had to improvise. Some people say the movies influence who Sakurai chooses, but this isn't true either, since he goes to GameFreak and asks them about what Pokemon to add.
Excuse me?
As the one that made the thread, I'm going to have to call bull**** on this one.

One, Black Shadow is capable of supernatural power in his home series, something Falcon himself is unable to do (yet is able to perform fiery bird punches out of nowhere in Smash). In his profile data, he is said to be capable of black magic, and he actually puts it to use in F-Zero GX where he binds Falcon in chains of energy and spawns Blood Falcon right from Falcon's essence.

Two, your Pokémon example is horribly flawed; Sakurai uses the anime as a source for inspiration; he doesn't ask GameFreak what to add; he asks them for permission to go with ideas he gets.
Aside from that, all you did was bring up the likes of Pikachu and Jigglypuff saying their names; you did not even grasp that Lucario (and Mewtwo in Japanese Melee) actually talk like in the anime. And last I checked a talking Lucario was exclusive to Movie 8.

Three, if Donkey Kong can be given the wind-up punch from the pilot episode of the DKC cartoon (which came out before Smash), Black Shadow can be given moves inspired by Falcon Densetsu. Especially since it's the most relevant thing F-Zero has at this time, with constant re-runs being aired to this day in Japan.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, here I go.

Toad, Meowth, Porky, Roy, Samurai Goroh, Ike, Bandana Dee, Dillon, Pac-Man, Wars character, Chibi Robo, a Rhythm Rep...

Damn, I'd be a lot more hyped about the DLC/AT cast than the main roster.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Well, here I go.

I think the roster is good, but like many people, I'd be more hyped over the DLC/AT roster. (P.S.: What does AT mean? ._.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Having those guys as DLC makes me feel like that they were never worthy enough to make it into the main roster, thus making them seem like Nintendo's loser characters. :(
That's what I hate about original newcomers being DLC.

Last edited:

Gune

Smash Lord
Having those guys as DLC makes me feel like that they were never worthy enough to make it into the main roster, thus making them seem like Nintendo's loser characters. :(
That's what I hate about original newcomers being DLC.
Eh you'll get over it, I would just be happy they were even considered and even made it to smash regardless of "loser" DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom