• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
More late responses, but oh well...
I guess so, I'm always trying to rearrange my roster anyway. :laugh:
Neato.
The leak being fake isn't the sole reason he isn't on here, like I've explained countless times, I'm not a Punch Out fan, and I just don't see Little Mac as a shoe-in.
I'm not a Donkey Kong, Metroid, Fire Emblem, or Golden Sun fan; but I still respect the chances the characters from these franchises have.
Can't really compare him to Marth though, since Fire Emblem is a huge franchise and Marth is pretty much the face of it.
I'm not comparing him to Marth when it comes to where they are in their respective franchise, I'm comparing the two in a gameplay standpoint (Even then, Little Mac still is the face of Punch-Out!!).
You could say Little Mac isn't varied enough when it comes to attacks, that he just punches people.
Well Marth shouldn't be considered viable for the same reason, all he does is swing his sword.

I feel that F-Zero doesn't need anyone else, it's a racing game, and Captain Falcon already represents the whole of it, and not even accurately. I feel that if Black Shadow got in, he'd just take Falcondorf's moveset while Ganondorf himself got a new one. Krystal on the other hand, has a load of moveset potential that Sakurai wouldn't really have to make up, and I don't want her because she's a Star Fox character, but because of the character herself.
I can easily say the same thing about Star Fox, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, Metroid, and even Legend of Zelda for their own variety of reasons.
Of course, Earthbound has already proven that a franchise could get more characters even if it's already got what it "needs".
Besides, the same reasoning you put for F-Zero could easily be applied to Star Fox.

"F-Zero doesn't need anybody else, it's a racing game."
Star Fox doesn't need anybody else, it's an on-rails shooter with three characters that already accurately represent the types of vehicles you pilot. Not even accurately either, as none of their abilities are even done by themselves in their own canon.
As for Black Shadow becoming Falcondorf, as plausible as this situation is Black Shadow still has several unique abilities at his disposal.
Like I said before, he's got the potential to be a character that focuses on manipulating his opponent. Something I can't say any other current character is able to do. He wouldn't need to pull an entire moveset out of the whazoo for Black Shadow either.
I'd like Black Shadow for the potential he has, not because he's an F-Zero character (And this is coming from someone who's only played F-Zero on the GBA and gave up playing after 3 races).

Well, Marth and Roy were Japan only, hell, Roy hadn't even been in his game yet. It's just that Sakurai personally likes Panel de Pon and he knows people want Lip, so there's at least some substance there.
As I said before, I don't see this happening again this time around. Unlike during Melee's development-cycle, the game isn't entirely Japanese focused. The worldwide release of the Brawl Dojo and the Pic of the Day for this game should be alerting the concept that the Sakurai may actually consider the western user base.
Pac-Man is still an iconic character, and if Sakurai took a chance on Snake, I can see him taking a chance on Pac-Man.
The issue is not who the character is, it's if their inclusion will be worth the extra effort to bring in more consumers. Snake has an entirely different fanbase from the general Nintendo franchise's crowd. People flocked to the Wii for Brawl for just this one character, as the same with Sonic.
I'd imagine Mega Man's inclusion has brought in the same consideration and thought process that Snake and Sonic did with their fans. But Pac-Man doesn't have such a diverse fanbase as these three characters do. In reality, who would stop what they were doing and buy a Wii U in anticipation to play as Pac-Man in the new Smash? Not a lot.

And that is the issue with putting the effort into adding Pac-Man in the game, he isn't going to determine if people are going to get the game or not.
I was just pointing out that stages don't need characters, I understand why those stages are there, I'm just saying that a Punch Out stage =/= Little Mac.
Ah, wasn't entirely sure if you were referring it to that like that.
Still, there's no reason for their to be a Punch-Out!! stage without a character. It doesn't make nearly as much sense as the other 5 stages do.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
he does have an interesting point then i guess that means that mr saturn is gonna be playable as well
Please no playable Mr, Saturn.

PLEASE NO PLAYABLE MR. SATURN SAKURAI!!!

I don't think I'd care to much to be a mod. You've got to have some chaos every once in a while or else there's no fun. :laugh:

But seriously, a very large congratulations to you, Scoliosis.
Geez, they're handing out moderatorships like heck today.

Maybe I'm next!

Take me Smash Bros. Illuminati!
TAKE ME! I'LL MAKE EVEN MORE INTELLIGENT ARGUMENTS!!!!!

D

Deleted member

I apologize that you feel that way, I merely asserted that I personally find it irrational. I already know that you aren't one of those who blatantly dismissed Link, no where did I insinuate that your cognitive functions were flawed, I honestly believe that you are one of the most intelligent members on these boards.
Maybe I overreacted, but it honestly felt as though you were saying I was deliberately ignoring what Toon Link was.

I didn't argue patterns before. I was arguing about the definition of patterns. That was blown out of proportion, I don't see the value in bringing that up again. I thought we agreed to disagree.
Before you argued about the definition, you argued about specific patterns' existence, which lead to the argument on what defines a pattern.
What I had said in the previous post still holds merit, as it addresses that issue; The "Young Link -> Toon Link -> ???" pattern being there at the time should not have made Toon Link's return obvious.

Again, I did address this notion. Toon Link was the most prominent, prevalent, and iconic Link at the time. Young Link was the introductory character that correlated with the Link already present in the roster for two games.
Wait, so after we get through the whole "Toon Link is WW/PH Link" thing, how can you say those things sincerely? You are aware that it means only WW/PH can be addressed, right?
And no, you didn't address the notion. You have yet to explain why it is that Toon Link, who served as the replacement to Young Link, was not likely to have been replaced himself by "Classic Link". Even going design-wise, the new Link from ALBW marked a return of the original style Link had prior to OoT, a style even more prominent than the one introduced in Four Swords.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Geez, they're handing out moderatorships like heck today.

Maybe I'm next!

Take me Smash Bros. Illuminati!
TAKE ME! I'LL MAKE EVEN MORE INTELLIGENT ARGUMENTS!!!!!
Got to keep making them threads, I bet you all those threads you make, those characters are near shoo-ins. :troll:

Last time I really remember when alot of people were givin mod status is when N3ON and FalKoopa became mods.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Sandbag is in that picture because it is an iconic part of Smash. Just as Mr. Saturn is an iconic item. His purpose, sadistic as it may be, is to, well, be a sandbag.
He isn't cut out for playable character status.
But what if he is tired of being the sandbag?
I may be getting too psychologically into this, but I think the fact Sakurai gave him a tear, and never did before, means something.

I can see the reveal trailer now:
Mario is at the home run stage facing an idle Sandbag.
The Mario grabs the bat, charges it up and the timer goes 3! 2! 1!
But before he can swing, a record scratch sound goes off, and the background music stops.
Mario is standing there looking confused, when suddenly, Sandbag punches Mario, grabs the Home-Run Bat, charges it up, and WHACKS Mario out of there!
Then the banner comes up saying, "SANDBAG, TAKES HIS REVENGE!"
The gameplay shows.
The end.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
One thing I wanted to talk about is how Sakurai views characters differently from Nintendo as a whole. I always see people saying Nintendo wouldn't add a character because they don't like them or they think they would be weird or whatever, but that doesn't matter. Sakurai is the one that chooses characters not Nintendo as a whole, and just because Nintendo probably wouldn't add a character into Smash doesn't mean Sakurai wouldn't. How do you think Snake got in? Smash Bros would be so different if it went by the ideals of Nintendo. There would probably be so many Mario characters...

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
I may be getting too psychologically into this, but I think the fact Sakurai gave him a tear, and never did before, means something.

I can see the reveal trailer now:
Mario is at the home run stage facing an idle Sandbag.
The Mario grabs the bat, charges it up and the timer goes 3! 2! 1!
But before he can swing, a record scratch sound goes off, and the background music stops.
Mario is standing there looking confused, when suddenly, Sandbag punches Mario, grabs the Home-Run Bat, charges it up, and WHACKS Mario out of there!
Then the banner comes up saying, "SANDBAG, TAKES HIS REVENGE!"
The gameplay shows.
The end.
i can see why this guy is famous

D

Deleted member

The whiteboard drawing also has Master Hand and Crazy Hand.
Guess they are going to be playable too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Indeed, you are reading way too into this. Sandbag has also been stated to be a sentient being. What does that have to do with him being playable. He was made for the sole purpose of being kicked around.

Furthermore, he's not the only character item. Mr. Saturn, Bob-omb...they aren't playable, are they?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Indeed, you are reading way too into this. Sandbag has also been stated to be a sentient being. What does that have to do with him being playable. He was made for the sole purpose of being kicked around.

Furthermore, he's not the only character item. Mr. Saturn, Bob-omb...they aren't playable, are they?
bomb-omb for smash 4

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
good lord what have i started here
Don't worry, they are just joking around.

Got to keep making them threads, I bet you all those threads you make, those characters are near shoo-ins. :troll:

Last time I really remember when alot of people were givin mod status is when N3ON and FalKoopa became mods.
But seriously, I make decent arguments that have facts to back them up.
I just joke around and have fun while doing it.

Does having fun and being happy make me immature?

No, it doesn't. That is a very messed up conception by society.

So I honestly don't see any reason why I would be such a terrible mod.
If I had a title that high, I would respect it and do what is right.
It's not like I want to ruin the Smash fan-base.

D

Deleted member

I doubt I'd be made a mod, and I don't really care to be honest.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman

i have only been here for a few hours but i can tell this guy make's this discussion fun

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

I wouldn't make a bad mod, but I'm not going to ask for it, it's called being polite. I guess. I think there's a better word than "polite" but you know what I mean.

i have only been here for a few hours but i can tell this guy make's this discussion fun
most of the time. there's sometimes he deleberately gets the thread off topic or in very heated arguments, other than that he's not too bad.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The whiteboard drawing also has Master Hand and Crazy Hand.
Guess they are going to be playable too.
I don't see any hands.

You mean those lines in the background?
Because I don't see how they could be hands at all.

They aren't Smash original characters.

I am going to say this one more time very clearly:
I am justifying Sandbag as a Smash Bros original character. I do not think he should be on the roster as a random character, but if Sakurai were to choose a Smash original, it would be Sandbag.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Never said you didn't or wouldn't, although I really don't see what's so exciting about being a mod.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't make a bad mod, but I'm not going to ask for it, it's called being polite. I guess. I think there's a better word than "polite" but you know what I mean.
The whole "if you ask for it, you're not ready for it" thing, I'm assuming? .....what would you call that....?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Are you specifically referring to the Sandbag argument? It's "decent" I suppose.
But it's still not very sound.

This is what Sandbag is for:

bomb-omb for smash 4
Don't encourage this!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I am not asking for modship either, I just am just saying that it doesn't make sense for people to laugh at the idea of me as one. There is no actual reasoning behind that.

D

Deleted member

I don't see any hands.

You mean those lines in the background?
Because I don't see how they could be hands at all.

Think of something on the order of this.

....now look at the whiteboard.

You now see Master Hand and Crazy Hand presenting the characters.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If there has to be a Smash original character make it Non Specific Action Figure. I mean he's not from anything specific, so make him a Smash original character. His story can br that he was a regular action figure that got thrown in with all the other trophy's of Nintendo characters and came alive along with them to join the battle.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
while everyone is busy dissing sandbag i believe it's my chance to post a character prediction of my own without anyone noticing

TETRA FOR SMASH BROS 4
(cue angry mob)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Are you specifically referring to the Sandbag argument? It's "decent" I suppose.
But it's still not very sound.

This is what Sandbag is for:

Don't encourage this!
No, I'm not referring to that specifically.
I am just referring to my arguments in generally.

My intelligent arguments and points are masked behind my humorous nature.

D

Deleted member

The point of a Smash original character is to be a character original to Smash.
Non-Specific Action Figure is not original to Smash.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If there has to be a Smash original character make it Non Specific Action Figure. I mean he's not from anything specific, so make him a Smash original character. His story can br that he was a regular action figure that got thrown in with all the other trophy's of Nintendo characters and came alive along with them to join the battle.
What is that even from anyways?

Be specific.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom