• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
true, but we can't expect something like this to happen.

if it happens it will happen, it's impossible to predict.
Exactly, which is why we can't through away the idea of Sandbag automatically.

on

one WTF character was enough having 2 would be pushing it

(oh my gosh i just replied to a comment from mega bidoof one of the most famous users here this is a huge honor)
Looking back at the 4 newcomers we have so far, none of them have been usuals on predictions (except Mega Man, but the want for him was so high that he was guaranteed).

I'd say that we will see at least one more WTF character, that will be more retro or historical.
Like G & W was in Melee and ROB was in Brawl.
I am hoping for Captain N to take this spot.

And I wouldn't really call Sandbag a WTF. If Sakurai was looking for a Smash Bros. original character that would play uniquely, Sandbag is really the obvious choice. (Other choices include Master/Crazy Hand, a full-body Master/Crazy Hand, Primid, or Tabuu).
Sandbag's thing could be that he takes his revenge using typical Smash Bros. items, like the Home Run bat for an ironic example.

And I am one of the most famous users here?

Cool!
Who knew!

...She's not WTF, Bidoof. She just isn't.
I know she isn't WTF.
SHE IS WFT!!!! :awesome:

But seriously, WTF or not, nobody predicted her (except for @LordJackal who said the idea as a joke in one of @ ????????????? ????????????? 's old roster critiques in 2011.

And the Smash Predictor of the Year award goes to @LordJackal!!!!

The Wii Fit Trainer in the end made sense as a fighter. A not-very-requested fighter from an extremely popular and well-received series.

I'm frankly very sick of people justifying their ridiculous inclusions with the Wii Fit Trainer.
My reason for using WFT Trainer as an example is that no one predicted here, yet she makes sense as a character.

So a character can get in without them being highly predicted.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think we're guaranteed Diddy. However, that doesn't mean we can't get somebody else during the month. Hopefully a newcomer during a direct.

Speaking of newcomers, if we DO get a newcomer in the next direct, I think I'm going to speculate that we get a newcomer once every two months, which would make sense if you ask me. One vet per month, + one newcomer every other month.
That would be kind of cool. Though I feel like we won't be getting that many new characters this time. Not to mention the chances of some characters still being kept secret and junk. But, I suppose that would have to rely on when the game gets released. I would like to hear a slightly more precise release date, but I'm sure many would want that.

It doesn't have to be much either. Just something like what season the game drops. I'm thinking summer would be reasonable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We'd all say the same about Wii Fit Trainer this time last year.
This is honestly one of the biggest logical fallacies in the whole of Smash speculation. One character no one predicted by no means justifies literally any other character solely on the basis that they are also unexpected, as if the only prerequisite was in fact being unexpected and as if the specifics of both WFT and Sandbag don't come into play.

To imply or even insinuate they have comparable chances is overlooking not only both characters individually and what makes them the characters they are, but generalizing characters as a whole. It's extremely faulty logic to say the least.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, which is why we can't through away the idea of Sandbag automatically.

Looking back at the 4 newcomers we have so far, none of them have been usuals on predictions (except Mega Man, but the want for him was so high that he was guaranteed).

I'd say that we will see at least one more WTF character, that will be more retro or historical.
Like G & W was in Melee and ROB was in Brawl.
I am hoping for Captain N to take this spot.

And I wouldn't really call Sandbag a WTF. If Sakurai was looking for a Smash Bros. original character that would play uniquely, Sandbag is really the obvious choice. (Other choices include Master/Crazy Hand, a full-body Master/Crazy Hand, Primid, or Tabuu).
Sandbag's thing could be that he takes his revenge using typical Smash Bros. items, like the Home Run bat for an ironic example.

And I am one of the most famous users here?

Cool!
Who knew!

I know she isn't WTF.
SHE IS WFT!!!! :awesome:

But seriously, WTF or not, nobody predicted her (except for @LordJackal who said the idea as a joke in one of @ ????????????? ????????????? 's old roster critiques in 2011.

And the Smash Predictor of the Year award goes to @LordJackal!!!!

My reason for using WFT Trainer as an example is that no one predicted here, yet she makes sense as a character.

So a character can get in without them being highly predicted.
i thought rosalina had a pretty decent size following not to the extent of Toad, Waluigi, or Bowser jr but still

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
woah you're a mod now?

what are they doing, just modding everyone who deserves to be a mod? that's crazy!

.....oh yeah. and diddy, I agree.
Yes, I am a mod now.

I'd like to take this post to shout out to all of you users on here who think I deserved the spot. Thanks for the support and all that jazz. Good to know that you guys think I'm a good user. *sniffle :sadeyes:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yes, I am a mod now.

I'd like to take this post to shout out to all of you users on here who think I deserved the spot. Thanks for the support and all that jazz. Good to know that you guys think I'm a good user. *sniffle :sadeyes:
come here bro...

*hugs*

you did good man :cry:

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Monsieurs and Madams.... shall we switch up the subject?

...How about the Mother series? Maybe a third character (Porky can be unique, so could Kumatora...)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
oh :facepalm:

sometimes I'm such a dunce.
Ha ha! I had a similar moment earlier today. I was commenting on a thread about how there were so many new moderators, and I didn't realize until a few minutes later that it was on the thread about adding new moderators.

...How about the Mother series? Maybe a third character (Porky can be unique, so could Kumatora...)
After Ness and Lucas, I've always been a fan of Porky and Claus. Both have a lot of potential to be unique. Porky ties Ness and Lucas together quite nicely, while Claus builds upon Lucas' character and adds some other important themes/elements seen in the MOTHER series.

In the same way it'd be cool to see Fire Emblem characters who make use of weapons other than swords, it would also be cool to see some of the non-PSI users from MOTHER. I used to advocate (fairly randomly) for Duster, and I've always liked Flint.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
TFW!

i don't even know what that stands for.....
Thunder Fork Wario. Speaking of Wario...If we don't have any major topics going on, why not talk about Wario characters?

Wait....Mother/Earthbound. Eh, don't really know much about it. So I can't say I'm personally interested in talking about it. But I suppose the Masked Man could be interesting enough. Still would want to talk about something else though.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
This is honestly one of the biggest logical fallacies in the whole of Smash speculation. One character no one predicted by no means justifies literally any other character solely on the basis that they are also unexpected, as if the only prerequisite was in fact being unexpected and as if the specifics of both WFT and Sandbag don't come into play.

To imply or even insinuate they have comparable chances is overlooking not only both characters individually and what makes them the characters they are, but generalizing characters as a whole. It's extremely faulty logic to say the least.
I don't want or justify characters for the soul fact they unexpected (unless it is a historical character like G&W or ROB and even then I have other things to back them up).
Wanting characters for no apparent reason besides the fact they are weird is the "old me."

My point with Wii Fit Trainer is that a character doesn't HAVE TO BE commonly wanted or predicted to get in.
Not being predicted DOES NOT boost one's chances nor does it lower them.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Yes, I am a mod now.

I would honestly love to be a mod, I think I'm levelheaded enough. Too bad I'm busy.

Annyyywaayy, Mother characters? I think it would be Porky, but I would want Claus a lot more!

?????????????

Smash Master
Thunder Fork Wario. Speaking of Wario...If we don't have any major topics going on, why not talk about Wario characters?
There's a pretty good amount of interesting Wario characters, but I don't think a single one sticks out in particular above the others. Personally, I like Jimmy T.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
There's a pretty good amount of interesting Wario characters, but I don't think a single one sticks out in particular above the others. Personally, I like Jimmy T.
Mona is my pick, because I like her theme song.

I actually used to have her on my roster, but I cut her for shulk. then I got ridiculed for having Issac, Robin AND Shulk. jeez, some people, eh?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would personally want Captain Syrup or Young Cricket myself. I mean ones a pirate and the other knows kung-fu, so that's cool in my book. Besides, where else would Nintendo get a Bruce Lee homage at?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
You're comparing a side character with no limbs to a character that millions of people know about. The fact that nobody thought of her is actually funny based on the fact of how prevalent she and the series she belongs to actually are.

For all we know, WFT isn't the strange choice character, but rather a nice surprise. There's no way in telling. But considering she wasn't expected, we still shouldn't assume that Sakurai is going to be adding more than one weird/obscure character. Why? Because that's not what Smash is about. It's Nintendo having their latest and greatest duking it out with each other. Not Nintendo's latest and greatest, and some of those other guys too.

Sandbag isn't going to happen. I don't need proof for that. It's just something that has no reason to happen.
You are misinterpreting my point.

I am trying to say that a character doesn't need to be a regular prediction or heavily wanted to get into Smash. All that a character needs is for Sakurai to know about them, and think they could be fun in Smash Bros.
And Sandbag fits this bill.

Sakurai definitely acknowledges Sandbag as a character. Need I bring up the white board drawing?
image.jpg

It may not be a lot, but it is something.
Who is in this picture? The most famous and important Smash Bros. characters, and Sandbag.

.....and Mr. Saturn but lets not dwell on that thought. Lets just say its representing the Mother series because Sakurai was still contemplating on who to include from the series at the time.

The fact that Sakurai put in Sandbag in this picture means so much, yet so little.

And look at the emotion on Sandy's (that's what I'm calling him) face.
A tear. Showing he has emotion and is a character, not an item.

I'm Mega Bidoof, and I remember it so you don't have to!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
just trying to boost your self esteem up young lad
there's plenty of people who need it a LOT more than I do, my life's great!

Sakurai definitely acknowledges Sandbag as a character. Need I bring up the white board drawing?
View attachment 8224

Who is in this picture? The most famous and important Smash Bros. characters, and Sandbag.
Mr. Saturn Confirmed.

just because you want to disregard it doesn't mean I won't!

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman

I am trying to say that a character doesn't need to be a regular prediction or heavily wanted to get into Smash. All that a character needs is for Sakurai to know about them, and think they could be fun in Smash Bros.
And Sandbag fits this bill.

View attachment 8224

.....and Mr. Saturn but lets not dwell on that thought. Lets just say its representing the Mother series because Sakurai was still contemplating on who to include from the series at the time.

The fact that Sakurai put in Sandbag in this picture means so much, yet so little.

And look at the emotion on Sandy's (that's what I'm calling him) face.
A tear. Showing he has emotion and is a character, not an item.

I'm Mega Bidoof, and I remember it so you don't have to!
he does have an interesting point then i guess that means that mr saturn is gonna be playable as well

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I don't think I'd care to much to be a mod. You've got to have some chaos every once in a while or else there's no fun. :laugh:

But seriously, a very large congratulations to you, Scoliosis.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
And Sandbag fits this bill.Sakurai definitely acknowledges Sandbag as a character. Need I bring up the white board drawing? It may not be a lot, but it is something.
Sandbag is in that picture because it is an iconic part of Smash. Just as Mr. Saturn is an iconic item. His purpose, sadistic as it may be, is to, well, be a sandbag.
He isn't cut out for playable character status.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom