• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
You know, we need to represent Smash in Smash. Smash is the only series pertinent to Smash not represented in Smash! Also... he would be unique. Name another character without limbs! :awesome:
Sukopon, Vectorman, Worms, Dynamight Heady, Plok. technichally NiGHTS cause if u notice in her artwork, her hands arent connected to anything. its hard to see cause of the long sleeves though

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You know, we need to represent Smash in Smash. Smash is the only series pertinent to Smash not represented in Smash! Also... he would be unique. Name another character without limbs! :awesome:

Sweetie, even if something should be something means ****.

In all reality, though, a Smash original character in general is very doubtful and personally very unappealing to me.
I hate the inclusion of Smash originals in general. Give that spot to any unrepresented Nintendo franchise and not a Smash original.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Voltorb and Electrode would like to have a few words with you. :upsidedown:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
we could go one for awhile if we're talking about pokemon. Kakuna, Metapod (really any mid stage bug type), Koffing, Ekans, Ditto, Sunkern, Solosis you get the point
Kakuna used to have arms early in the series, actually

I do get the point, though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
For clarification, the context is that he likes the game Panel de Pon, though at the same time he's a bit reluctant towards the idea of Lip.
He said he was reluctant to add her in regards to a question someone asked before Melee had even come out right? His opinion must have changed given that he added the Ice Climbers solely because of their retro status, then he added Pit and went on to bring him back in the spotlight. If Sakurai really wants to bring back more old and obscure characters, he's probably thought about Lip again, so he certainly shouldn't be reluctant to add her this time.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579

I hate the inclusion of Smash originals in general. Give that spot to any unrepresented Nintendo franchise and not a Smash original.
You know, for some reason Dr. Kawashima creeps me out. I just find the whole floating head thing creepy. That's not to say he wouldn't be an interesting character to play as though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I know, his Japanese thick face tends to creep people out most of the time. :laugh:
But if you play the Brain Age games, he's a pretty cool and helpful person who's only here to help your brain. (He really does help you focus alot more on tasks too)

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Please. What about Andross? He's a crazy scientist monkey with laser hands. Very few things can beat.

Morbi

Scavenger
I know, his Japanese thick face tends to creep people out most of the time. :laugh:
But if you play the Brain Age games, he's a pretty cool and helpful person who's only here to help your brain. (He really does help you focus alot more on tasks too)
That is the predominant reason I want the character to be perfectly honest. I expect his devil face to be an alternative costume once he is included in Smash 4!

Gune

Smash Lord
That is the predominant reason I want the character to be perfectly honest. I expect his devil face to be an alternative costume once he is included in Smash 4!
Kawashima just gives me the willys I cant fight with that guys face, especially not the devil one...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again, if you choose to ignore the very concise allusions to Wind Waker, be my guest. I believe that to be utterly irrational, they are different Link's and quite frankly, I don't care if Sakurai doesn't agree. We are not even entirely sure if that (the gimmick on Spirit Tracks) was an after-thought. It was revealed MONTHS after the stage reveal, it would have been far more logical to reveal Alfonzo during Toon Link's month.
I take high offense to this since I've been pointing out for the past couple of months that Toon Link is, according to Brawl, "Link as he appeared in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass", and you're acting as though I'm a blithering idiot that is deliberately ignoring that detail, when all I was saying was that Sakurai rendered the case to be invalid (at which point, if you had stopped to ponder this, it supports the idea that Sakurai clearly doesn't give a damn about the "stage cameo =/= playable" logic; so it doesn't even matter if it's a different incarnation or not, it doesn't....well, didn't.....stop Toon Link from showing up, an argument on the pro-Toon Link side that was given that ended up being true.)

Other than that, if you read my text-wall, that is why I believed Toon Link (and Jigglypuff) to be the most likely returning characters... who was one of the first characters revealed? Who was that again? Toon Link? I suppose I was correct. :troll:
I did read your text wall.
Problem is, your text wall is only going on the tangent of the Spirit Tracks stage (which was only what "sealed the deal", not what made him "unlikely") and not the biggest tangent that made Toon Link's reappearance doubtful:

The fact this existed.

Since you loved to argue about patterns before, it's surprising that you didn't even address the (now broken) pattern of having a different child Link than the previous game that Brawl "established".
So what's the excuse here? What made Toon Link more "likely" to show up than suffering the same fate that Young Link did? Especially since the case of Toon Link being specifically "WW/PH Link" means, like Young Link before him, he was old news?
Is there even an answer to that isn't only obvious after the reveal?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If we had to get one of those floating head and arms guy. I would most likely choose...
Wham Bam Rock from Kirby Super Star

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
i have a question for you guys if diddy kong doesn't get revealed this week do you think it raise's the chance's of a diddy dixie duo?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
i have a question for you guys if diddy kong doesn't get revealed this week do you think it raise's the chance's of a diddy dixie duo?
Not particularly. I don't really see how the two would correlate too much. If they were to be a duo, they'd be better off showing it along the release of Donkey Kong TF anyways.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
on
We'd all say the same about Wii Fit Trainer this time last year.
one WTF character was enough having 2 would be pushing it

(oh my gosh i just replied to a comment from mega bidoof one of the most famous users here this is a huge honor)

Morbi

Scavenger
I take high offense to this since I've been pointing out for the past couple of months that Toon Link is, according to Brawl, "Link as he appeared in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass", and you're acting as though I'm a blithering idiot that is deliberately ignoring that detail, when all I was saying was that Sakurai rendered the case to be invalid (at which point, if you had stopped to ponder this, it supports the idea that Sakurai clearly doesn't give a damn about the "stage cameo =/= playable" logic; so it doesn't even matter if it's a different incarnation or not, it doesn't....well, didn't.....stop Toon Link from showing up, an argument on the pro-Toon Link side that was given that ended up being true.)

I did read your text wall.
Problem is, your text wall is only going on the tangent of the Spirit Tracks stage (which was only what "sealed the deal", not what made him "unlikely") and not the biggest tangent that made Toon Link's reappearance doubtful:

The fact this existed.

Since you loved to argue about patterns before, it's surprising that you didn't even address the (now broken) pattern of having a different child Link than the previous game that Brawl "established".
So what's the excuse here? What made Toon Link more "likely" to show up than suffering the same fate that Young Link did? Especially since the case of Toon Link being specifically "WW/PH Link" means, like Young Link before him, he was old news?
Is there even an answer to that isn't only obvious after the reveal?
I apologize that you feel that way, I merely asserted that I personally find it irrational. I already know that you aren't one of those who blatantly dismissed Link, no where did I insinuate that your cognitive functions were flawed, I honestly believe that you are one of the most intelligent members on these boards.

I didn't argue patterns before. I was arguing about the definition of patterns. That was blown out of proportion, I don't see the value in bringing that up again. I thought we agreed to disagree.

Again, I did address this notion. Toon Link was the most prominent, prevalent, and iconic Link at the time. Young Link was the introductory character that correlated with the Link already present in the roster for two games.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The Wii Fit Trainer in the end made sense as a fighter. A not-very-requested fighter from an extremely popular and well-received series.

I'm frankly very sick of people justifying their ridiculous inclusions with the Wii Fit Trainer.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You're comparing a side character with no limbs to a character that millions of people know about. The fact that nobody thought of her is actually funny based on the fact of how prevalent she and the series she belongs to actually are.

For all we know, WFT isn't the strange choice character, but rather a nice surprise. There's no way in telling. But considering she wasn't expected, we still shouldn't assume that Sakurai is going to be adding more than one weird/obscure character. Why? Because that's not what Smash is about. It's Nintendo having their latest and greatest duking it out with each other. Not Nintendo's latest and greatest, and some of those other guys too.

Sandbag isn't going to happen. I don't need proof for that. It's just something that has no reason to happen.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The Wii Fit Trainer in the end made sense as a fighter. A not-very-requested fighter from an extremely popular and well-received series.

I'm frankly very sick of people justifying their ridiculous inclusions with the Wii Fit Trainer.
Should I pull the logic bullet out of the library? To reinforce?
Wait how is WFT not WTF?
Now I want to so bad. (Should I?)

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
why would he waste time making sand bag playable why have him when there are so many other great characters out there

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Man, I know we're all expecting Diddy Kong and everything, but I kind of hope we get some kind of surprise actually. Eh, who even knows when the next new character gets shown. But seeing almost anyone new would be awesome.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Salvaged this one from the RPDT!
So, it's been noted that Smash 4 is a balance of Melee and Brawl in many aspects. With most people on this website being part of the crew that is "hardcore Nintendo Fans, (including myself)", a lot of us seem to fare moreso towards traditional franchises. A majority felt that Brawl was focused on the Casual Aspect of Nintendo.

Many of us here are putting our rosters up as specifically hardcore rosters. Nothing that features any sort of knowledge of the casual side of Nintendo. I find it confusing that people are acting like this casual side does not even exist.

It's hard to ignore that the casual side of Nintendo doesn't matter. The Wii is a broader console directed at a variety of people. The consumers were drawn by Smash, and they were drawn off by the nature of Melee, being a competitive-focused game. By this, it's hard to deny they have huge importance. As much as the Hardcore crowd, folks. We can whine about how they don't matter, but in reality, they do.

Primarily, games like Wii Fit have sold a crapton. Look at those sales (Wii Sports is a pack-in, being ignored here)! Nintendo has admitted that they've slightly focused on the casual crowd at times during the last few years. The Wii U has been a better balance of it. We have main franchises like Mario and Pikmin. Additionally, we have casual installments, such as Wii Sports Club or Wii Fit U. These sell like hotcakes because unlike other games, they are wider reaching. Yeah, Miis are an example of this, as is Wii Fit. By these terms, Wii Fit is an incredibly popular franchise from Nintendo that has been well known. The only big difference is that it's hitting a different crowd. By not taking this into consideration, we're pretty much saying Nintendo is going to betray their casual audience. Which is an insane move that Nintendo wouldn't likely do, as I thought back pre-E3. Though back then, I hated Miis as much as I hate them now, and I was convinced that the issues with "Questionable Miis" would block their inclusion.

Quote from Xenoblaze:
[The irony of course is that the people adoring the Miis in the varies Wii titles aren't the same people that are interested in Super Smash Bros.]

Now onto the arguement that Casuals don't care about Smash Bros...
Brawl. Brawl was designed to appeal to casual audiences moreso. It's not like they are going to ignore it. People around the world are drawn in by Smash each franchise. Brawl is no exception. Tons of Casuals flocked and are interested about the franchise now. Many of my friends are casuals and competitives alike, the casuals started with Brawl and the competitives started with 64 or Melee. Yeah, people are going to care. I've heard casuals and competitives think that Mii is likely, regardless of that person's bias. But, this is about WFT, isn't it?

Back to her.

Wii Fit is one of the big casual franchises, with Brawl being a casual-esque game. People now are interested in Smash 4, regardless of their side on Nintendo's player/consumer base. With Wii Fit being the equivalent on importance of the casual Legend of Zelda (in terms of importance to the playerbase, not in actuality, mind you, those games are completely different!) So my Pre-E3 self was a primarily competitive person. I like Wii Fit, however, as I've noted before. I didn't expect Sakurai to just ignore and betray both sides this time around, instead combining the best of both worlds. So my first roster I ever made included WFT. And what are we seeing? Just that. So in actuality... Is WFT really a WTF character? Or is she moreso a casual powerhouse? I believe the latter, folks. She's not surprising if you really take it from another side.
Hopefully this will suffice. It's old, so I can provide some more information to why so ;)

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Man, I know we're all expecting Diddy Kong and everything, but I kind of hope we get some kind of surprise actually. Eh, who even knows when the next new character gets shown. But seeing almost anyone new would be awesome.
I think we're guaranteed Diddy. However, that doesn't mean we can't get somebody else during the month. Hopefully a newcomer during a direct.

Speaking of newcomers, if we DO get a newcomer in the next direct, I think I'm going to speculate that we get a newcomer once every two months, which would make sense if you ask me. One vet per month, + one newcomer every other month.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I think we're guaranteed Diddy. However, that doesn't mean we can't get somebody else during the month. Hopefully a newcomer during a direct.

Speaking of newcomers, if we DO get a newcomer in the next direct, I think I'm going to speculate that we get a newcomer once every two months, which would make sense if you ask me. One vet per month, + one newcomer every other month.
I'll raise you:
We got two characters January and December, and September as well. There's a sign there.
I think this:
1-2 Veterans a Month, and if one Veteran, a Newcomer.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman

i agree with your logic sir

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

woah you're a mod now?

what are they doing, just modding everyone who deserves to be a mod? that's crazy!

.....oh yeah. and diddy, I agree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom