• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
From that logic, Sly Cooper has been confirmed for SSB4. Just because a character is popular doesn't mean that they're gonna be in SSB4.
u should try using an analogy that holds a sense of possibility. Sly is owned by Sony and thereby cannot appear in this game. besides Sly is far from being Sony's more recognizable franchises.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Okay, that's not comparable. Sly Cooper isn't a Nintendo character.
Captain Rainbow confirmed because everyone loved Captain Rainbow. :troll:

Actually, my K. Rool example before worked for this, I mean he's only the most requested newcomer worldwide, Japan included.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well, Little Mac doesn't have many good reasons to be playable in SSB4 either
You've forced my hand.
Little Mac is a Nintendo icon, dating back to the NES with one of the most entertaining and unique games out there.
He lost his steam after Super Punch Out, but came back alive and punching with Punch Out!! for the Wii. Even beforehand, people have clamored Mac's inclusion. But now no longer as a retro, but as a modern day Nintendo character.
Mac's Star System could be extremely unique. Think Lucario's Aura, but backwards. It's a reward system of sorts, Mac gains stars for countering the attacks of his opponents, which charges up his signature Star Uppercut and can ultimately result in a devastating attack.
Not to mention that Punch Out is one of the larger Nintendo franchises not yet represented, with about 6 games under its belt (The console games, the arcade games, and Arm Wrestling).
And many gamers, myself included, have very fond memories of Punch Out, beating the snot out of racist stereotypes and eventually Mike Tyson himself. To say that Mac isn't deserving disappoints me to no extent, and I hope now you realize just how deserving Mac is.
And that Boxing Ring stage doesn't hurt either.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Ooh look! Rosters!

Here is mine newly updated roster! (Geez, I seem to be updating it every day.)

Mega Bidoof's SSB4 Prediction Roster!

2/8/14

52 Slots. 57 Characters (not counting same-time fighters like Ice Climbers and Chrom & Lucina)

Explanations:

- Large Roster Size: We don't know what Sakurai is thinking size-wise, so there is no basis on what is too small or too large.

*Lack of Newcomer for Certain Series':
[collapse=Lack of Newcomer for Certain Series' Explanation]
-Yoshi & Wario Series': The only reason I didn't add newcomer to these series is just because Mario has a newcomer and Donkey Kong does too. If I added a Yoshi or Wario newcomer it wouldn't be kind of Mario overkill. I also didn't have enough room, and some other series would have deserved a newcomer before them if I had more room.
-If I added them, they would be Kamek and Mona. Or Birdo and Waluigi if they counted as Yoshi and Wario characters.

-Kirby Series: The only real reason I didn't add one is because there isn't enough room on the roster without it getting to big. If I had one more space, I would have to add Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee just seems the most likely, especially with Dedede's "Waddle Dee Throw" not being shown, which @pizzadudemanguy pointed out in his Dedede Dojo update video.
-If I added one, it would be Bandana Dee.

-Pikmin Series: It just doesn't seem necessary to have a newcomer from this series. Nobody would really bring anything new to the table, unless it was an enemy like Plasm Wraith.
-If I added one, it would be The Drake's Crew.

-Mother/Earthbound Series: Mother is such a small series (though it is a beautiful and awesome series) that it doesn't really need another newcomer. Maybe in SSB5, but for now it would be weird to give it more characters than Metroid and F-Zero, and the same amount as Kirby and Donkey Kong.
-If I added one, it would be Porky Minch.

-Starfox Series: Kind of like Mother, it doesn't seem necessary. It doesn't need a newcomer this time around. It would kind of over represent the series, and it is fine with 3 characters for now.
-If I added one, it would be Krystal.

[/collapse]

*Newcomers:

[collapse=Newcomer Explanation]
- Diddy & Dixie tag-team: Sakurai allegedly wanted to implement this idea in Brawl but couldn't due to time constraints. Why wouldn't he do it now?

-King K. Rool: He is one of the most wanted Smash 4 characters, and is the main villain of the Donkey Kong series, which is the only one of the main 4 Nintendo franchises that doesn't have a villain in it yet (Mewtwo is returning as a "villain" for Pokémon).

-Tingle: Sakurai seems to be looking for more unique newcomers this time around, and Tingle fits that bill for a Zelda newcomer! He is also a recurring role, and only competes with Impa in terms of importance. He is the Zelda newcomer makes the most sense in my opinions.

-Ridley: Almost everyone wants him. Ridley = not too big.

-Palutena: There was that leak that Sakurai indirectly acknowledged in a later "Pic of the Day" when he posted a picture of a Palutena statue. Whether or not the leak is true, Palutena makes sense as a newcomer. Kid Icarus was treated as a main Nintendo series in the trailer along the likes of Kirby and Pokémon, and I think it deserves a newcomer.

-Mewtwo: He is basically shoe-in. You could say his chances are lowered due to Lucario's return, but the fact that Sakurai is making Lucario different means that he could be differentiating him from what he is planning for Mewtwo. Not to mention Mewtwo is really wanted among the Smash fan-base, and was a poster child for X and Y.

-Chrom & Lucina: Since Chrom was the main protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening, and Awakening was a VERY big game for the Fire Emblem series, Chrom deserves a spot on the roster. But since a lot of people are arguing that Chrom would be too similar to Marth or Ike, he should be on an Ice Climbers-like team with Lucina (another character from Awakening). Being a two character team of swordsman, with one being heavy and strong, and one being fast, light, and quick, would bring a unique play style to the table for a character who is constantly called generic and too similar. Though he could also be on a team with Robin, your avatar from Awakening, who could use magic with him too. I would take either one, though I prefer a Lucina team.

- Samurai Goroh: I feel that F-Zero deserves a newcomer, despite it being a "dead" series. All of the other series from Smash 64 got newcomers for their series (Samus got Zero-Suit which technically is a newcomer). If Earthbound can have 2 characters (don't get me wrong, I love Earthbound, it's my favorite game of all time), then F-Zero can. As for why I chose Goroh, I feel he can bring more to the table and is arguably more important than Black Shadow. Goroh can have Electricity-based moves (since his vehicle is called "The Stingray." Though Black Shadow would be cool in taking Ganondorf's moveset so Ganondorf can get a new one.

- Mii: Mii is slapped into everything made by Nintendo where you can choose your character. He is in all the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games for Wii and WiiU, and has had multiple appearances in his own games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Pilotwings Resort. As for his moveset, I have no idea. He could have a somewhat customizable moveset, or a default sports-based moveset. I honestly have no idea.

- Captain N: In both Melee and Brawl, there was an obscure retro, or historical, character. While I am not saying one is guaranteed for SSB4, I think having one is likely and would be cool. Captain N from the old 80s cartoon/comic series would be a hilarious addition to the roster! The fact that he is not from a video game makes him even more of a surprise as a newcomer, and the fact that he was from a show that wasn't very well received makes it even more surprising! Captain N would be a hilarious addition to the roster, and as an obscure and historical character, he makes sense.

- Little Mac: He is another character that is basically shoe-in for Smash 4. Almost everyone wants him, he had a popular and successful reboot for the Wii, and he could bring an unrepresented popular franchise to Smash!

- Sandbag: Smash Bros. has had some original characters (Master/Crazy Hand, Primid, Tabuu) and I think it is time for one to get in. An original Smash Bros. newcomer should be a classic one, and not a recent one like Primid or Tabuu from Brawl. Unless we were to get some sort of full-bodied Master/Crazy Hand, the obvious choice is Sandbag. It would be really funny and awesome to watch Sandbag to ironically beat up his foes with the home-run bat! He has an OK chance, but a very high chance if a Smash Bros. original character were to be included.

- Lip: Just like with obscure/hostorical characters, Melee and Brawl both has a retro character (Ice Climbers and Pit who is no longer retro due to Kid Icarus Uprising). Sakurai has shown to have a soft spot for Panel de Pon, so why not add Lip? There have been various Panel de Pon references in the Smash series (Lip's Stick item, Kirby garbage block transformation, and garbage block in Nintendogs 3DS stage), and I think it is about time to have Lip as a full-fledged newcomer.

- Pac-Man: Though Sakurai said that Namco-Bandai's involvement in the game doesn't guarantee they get a third-party, he also said that any 3rd party would have to be a very important character. Pac-Man fits that description very well! He is one of the most iconic video game characters right next to Mario, and was one of the first arcade games that revolutionized gaming and went down in history forever. Adding him would finish the list of the most famous video game characters: Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.
[/collapse]
I guess I'll post this one more time in hopes of getting a few responses.

Oh, and what does everyone think of the idea of Captain N as an obscure historical character?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As likely as Mewtwo is (and he's very likely) I wouldn't go so far as to say there are any characters, excluding some returning Brawl veterans, that are shoo-ins.

@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof
This isn't a meet and greet thread.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Both have a comic, (technically) had a spinoff game,had cameos, sold very well, and aren't well known among the public. Only difference is what you mentioned.
:laugh:
Yeah but see, your reasoning is extremely stupid.
Mac is a Nintendo character, which we got out of the way, but that is CRUCIAL to the inclusion of a character in Smash Bros!
Sly Cooper is not Nintendo property, and if he was then I guarantee he would be in Smash by now.
Plus, Sly DOES NOT EVEN HAVE A HISTORY ON NINTENDO CONSOLES AND HE IS NOT REQUESTED BY EVEN A FRACTION OF MAC'S FANBASE.
So make of that as you will.
And I don't remember that Punch Out comic that you speak of, only that one Brawl in the Family strip.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
People expected that too. And Gardevoir, and Bowser Jr, and many things. :facepalm:
There are still people who actually want Bowser Jr. I'll never understand that.

I did say that I won't actively try to put down a character, but Bowser Jr. is the one major exception to that, I hate that annoying little ******.

Morbi

Scavenger
You've forced my hand.
Little Mac is a Nintendo icon, dating back to the NES with one of the most entertaining and unique games out there.
He lost his steam after Super Punch Out, but came back alive and punching with Punch Out!! for the Wii. Even beforehand, people have clamored Mac's inclusion. But now no longer as a retro, but as a modern day Nintendo character.
Mac's Star System could be extremely unique. Think Lucario's Aura, but backwards. It's a reward system of sorts, Mac gains stars for countering the attacks of his opponents, which charges up his signature Star Uppercut and can ultimately result in a devastating attack.
Not to mention that Punch Out is one of the larger Nintendo franchises not yet represented, with about 6 games under its belt (The console games, the arcade games, and Arm Wrestling).
And many gamers, myself included, have very fond memories of Punch Out, beating the snot out of racist stereotypes and eventually Mike Tyson himself. To say that Mac isn't deserving disappoints me to no extent, and I hope now you realize just how deserving Mac is.
And that Boxing Ring stage doesn't hurt either.
I believe it is more feasible to introduce Little Mac as a retro character, something he has been predominately recognized as. Aesthetically, he could represent the more modern Mac (and I expect him to), but if he isn't one of the retro slots, I don't really anticipate him to the great extent that many others do. Sakurai isn't necessarily going to recognize the one game on the Wii as the reason for Mac's inclusion in the same way that he might for Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Again, we aren't entirely sure if Sakurai will implement the Star System, you must admit, if the notion wasn't made overt and apparent, he might actually interpret Mac as assist material based on the premise that he doesn't offer a lot in terms of diversity. I say this as a member that WANTS a fighting game character in a fighting game (unfathomable, indeed).

How large is Punch Out compared to the cult-classic Golden Sun or the Xenoblade chronicles. Lets be realistic, those are the contenders Mac is competing with. He isn't nearly on the level that main antagonists of Nintendo's most prominent franchises are.

Mike Tyson for Smash?!

Last edited:
NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
u should try using an analogy that holds a sense of possibility. Sly is owned by Sony and thereby cannot appear in this game. besides Sly is far from being Sony's more recognizable franchises.
Same how almost nobody except people who looked at the trophjes section knows who Little Mac is.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Give it some more time, you don't need to post the same thing on every page.
I posted it 2 pages ago a few hours ago.
Nobody is going to look back that far, and if someone does they aren't going to respond to it because it was too long ago.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I guess I'll post this one more time in hopes of getting a few responses.

Oh, and what does everyone think of the idea of Captain N as an obscure historical character?
The image link is still broken for me. Perhaps use Tinypic on it or something? Reupload the image.

Nobody is going to look back that far, and if someone does they aren't going to respond to it because it was too long ago.
Monsieur, I would, but your roster image doesn't display for me. :ohwell:

There are still people who actually want Bowser Jr. I'll never understand that.
I don't like Junior either and I really expected Waluigi over him. Again, didn't think Rosetta was happening.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Except everyone keeps saying that "Little Mac is a shoe-in" and "if it's a prediction roster, then Little Mac should be on it."

You know who's been popular candidates since before even Brawl and still haven't made it in? King K. Rool and Ridley. I don't go around calling them shoe-ins even though they're the two most requested newcomers and are far above Little Mac in terms of requests. In fact, I still fear they may not make it, as much as I wish they would get in, there's always that chance. Krystal was a popular choice for Brawl too, but Sakurai didn't even know about it and we got Wolf instead. Even if Little Mac is popular, that doesn't mean **** until we know what Sakurai thinks, or if he even knows about it. He might think he was a good assist and leave it at that.
That's not what I was referring to in your post.
You said that people "cling" to the leak.
I was merely pointing out that that's not the case. (Rather, it shouldn't be.) Their may have been a troll face at the end of that, but I was somewhat serious as well.
If you think that Little Mac is likely only because of the leak then you need to do some more thinking.

And if you think Little Mac is a shoo-in, then you also should do some more thinking. He's likely. And when I say that I mean "he has a better chance than many characters". That's it. K. Rool is likely too. So are Ridley, Dixie, Chrom, Palutena, Miis, etc. But none of them are shoo-ins.
inb4 Pale Tuna leak is real and she is shoo-in already.
Wolf was a popular request, actually. At least so I've heard. I don't have much confidence in that. Someone from the Brawl speculation days would be better equipped to say.

Both have a comic, (technically) had a spinoff game,had cameos, sold very well, and aren't well known among the public. Only difference is what you mentioned.
And it's enough of a difference to make that analogy not that convincing of an argument.

Edit: Wait wait wait...Sly had a spin-off?!
...oh, you're talking about Sony Smash Bros aren't you? :(

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Morbi Morbi
Punch Out Wii is a reboot in the same sense that Kid Icarus Uprising is. So why wouldn't Sakurai take pointers from Punch Out Wii in the same way he did with Uprising (besides Uprising being his own game of course)? And Punch Out has six games, which is twice as much as Golden Sun and SIX TIMES as much as Xenoblade. Not to mention that Mac is probably more iconic than Isaac and Shulk anyway.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You've posted the same roster at least three times today in the same thread. That frequency isn't necessary.

Morbi

Scavenger
@ Morbi Morbi
Punch Out Wii is a reboot in the same sense that Kid Icarus Uprising is. So why wouldn't Sakurai take pointers from Punch Out Wii in the same way he did with Uprising (besides Uprising being his own game of course)? And Punch Out has six games, which is twice as much as Golden Sun and SIX TIMES as much as Xenoblade. Not to mention that Mac is probably more iconic than Isaac and Shulk anyway.
I am not alluding to the amount of games in the franchise. I am referring to notability, Punch Out is much more on par with Golden Sun or Xenoblade Chronicles (in a Smash context) than to Donkey Kong or Metroid.

Again, the notion that Sora Ltd. developed Kid Icarus: Uprising is down-played. It is going to be on Sakurai's mind, that is irrefutable. Objectively speaking, Pit was already included in Smash prior to Uprising, Mac; however, was not. That is one overt difference. Another being support for a Kid Icarus represented pre-Brawl compared to Punch Out support prior to Brawl. They seem to be about equivalent as of current, but you must admit that it is based on Mac's role as an assist trophy and the initial Boxing Ring stage reveal.

They aren't on the same level, I apologize, they just aren't.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Your image is still broken anyway, which is probably why no one has responded to it. We can't see the damn thing.

i have yet to meet a gamer alive who hasnt heard of Punch Out. unless ur like 12 i suppose.
I've been playing games since I was very small, Pac-Man was the very first game I ever played and I pretty much grew up with the late NES era, SNES, Genesis, N64, and Playstation. I didn't even know who Mega Man was until people started wanting him for Brawl, and I had never even heard of Punch Out until Little Mac's appearance in Brawl. You've got to remember that the internet is a relatively recent thing, and just because you played games as a kid, doesn't mean you've played every game out there. For the most part, all the games of my early childhood were hand-me-downs from relatives so I never had much choice in what I played, I was simply never introduced to other games.

That's not what I was referring to in your post.
You said that people "cling" to the leak.
I was merely pointing out that that's not the case. (Rather, it shouldn't be.) Their may have been a troll face at the end of that, but I was somewhat serious as well.
If you think that Little Mac is likely only because of the leak then you need to do some more thinking.

I'm just indifferent to Little Mac, simple as that. Most people who call him a shoe-in are referring to him being in that "leak," which is why I'm calling BS on his overall likelihood.

I think he was talking about that one game that had Jak, Ratchet, and Sly in it.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's cause people are stupid and expect people like Goku.
I would laugh if Sakurai trolls those stupid people by adding Goku... but it is not the Goku from Dragonball Z... instead it is the Goku from Famicom Fairytales... hey, at least Nintendo's Goku would still have the same powers as Dragonball's Goku. It would be pretty cool... he could represent the Famicom text adventure games.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
either that or Playstation Heroes. though there is the Bentley's Hackpack that, even though is used within the story of Theives in Time, only appears in the Vita version.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Ok, so I've finally caught up with this thread and made my self a couple rosters.

I'm only going to be posting one, that being my wanted roster.

I'm not posting my prediction roster because it's too safe, (except for one character excluded).

Yellow - Confirmed
Purple - Characters that would actually disappoint me if they don't get in.
Green - Characters that I like or like the idea of but would be ok with not being in.
Blue - Characters that I like but have skepticism and/or negative view on their inclusion.

Also, this is from most wanted to least wanted.

So you guys already know about the confirmed characters so I'm moving on to the characters in purple.

Lip - Well first off I like her and her games. The Panel de Pon series has pretty environments, wonderful songs, and nice cast of characters. It would be wonderful to see her and the concepts of her game be fully realized in smash. (Also seeing it in HD. :D)
While Lip isn't my favorite character in the games, she is pretty darn close. I would love to see her fight using things relating to her puzzle aspect not yet seen in Smash, (Kinda excluding Dr. Mario).

Lastly, this is pretty much Panel de Pon's last chance for anything. Would be a shame to see such a great series just die.

Bandana Dee - I love Kirby superstar ultra. Bandana Dee was such a cool guy there in addition to Waddle Dees being already insanely cute, (Which, with that last part, you probably notice is a theme with my roster). Kirby is a series I do love a lot and would love to see a guy who's move set was practically made for him in to appear in Smash.

Palutena - Pretty much my safe character pick. Though the other reason she is on here is to be essentially my replacement for the original Kid icarus newcomer on here being Viridi. Can I at least have one kid icarus goddess in Smash?

Now for the green section.

Bowser Jr. - I like him...
That is literally it. No personal connection, no original move set, just like him. Because of that, he is only in the green section.

Daitoryo - I'm a sucker for historical characters. Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. are some of my most used characters in the smash games. I just love learning about the history of Nintendo and also seeing how they apply it to Smash. Really, a Hanafauda character in general would be nice.

Plusle and Minun - So you can probably tell I'm a pikachu main. What you probably don't know about me is that I love gen 3, ice climbers, and even Pikaclones, (Emolga being my favorite, Minun and Plusle being my second favorite). So to see electric users that work similarly to ice climbers would be a dream come true for me.

Why are they only in the green section then? Simple, because we already have Ice climbers and Pikachu. Merging them wouldn't do anything.

Takamaru - An interesting character to be sure. The reason he is green? Because, him being in Smash messes with Lip's chances of being in Smash, and I'd rather have her in then him.

Now to get blue!

Pichu - Pikaclone, uses electricity. He is in blue because he has massive potential be a waste of character slot.

Prince Fluff - He is in blue because while I want him, I want him to be a yarn character and not a kirby character. Hoping for him to be in Yarn Yoshi.

Slime - He is cute...Also I want him over Pac-man.

Last - Pretty much represents all the pokemon that could be cool but has zero chance of getting into smash.

I would like to say that even with all this, I'm generally open and welcoming of all newcomers. In the end, I just want to play as fun characters.

Heck, don't even care about if most of the characters are deconfirmed, and even the ones I do care about, I will be over it in a day. (As long as they aren't veterans at least).

Vez

Smash Apprentice
How large is Punch Out compared to the cult-classic Golden Sun or the Xenoblade chronicles. Lets be realistic, those are the contenders Mac is competing with. He isn't nearly on the level that main antagonists of Nintendo's most prominent franchises are.
Xenoblade is an obscure game and for whatever reason Nintendo seems to hate Golden Sun. I do agree that Golden Sun deserves more respect and should have a character, but it's still not a bigger franchise than Punch-Out!!. In terms of likeliness I'd say it goes Little Mac > Shulk > Isaac. I think Isaac missed the boat with Brawl. That was the perfect time to add him and his popularity has dwindled since then. Japan doesn't seem to care about him either, and unlike Mac and Ridley he isn't renowned for being really popular outside of the country.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Morbi Morbi
Personally I would put Punch Out on Kid Icarus's level.
Honestly.
I agree, Sora's development on Uprising certainly helps KI in that context, but I feel that with the Wii on Sakurai's mind, he will definitely be thinking about Punch Out Wii, a notable reboot of a classic Nintendo franchise.
And I wasn't really active pre-Brawl, but I thought that Mac was pretty popular back then as a retro option.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I've been playing games since I was very small, Pac-Man was the very first game I ever played and I pretty much grew up with the late NES era, SNES, Genesis, N64, and Playstation. I didn't even know who Mega Man was until people started wanting him for Brawl, and I had never even heard of Punch Out until Little Mac's appearance in Brawl. You've got to remember that the internet is a relatively recent thing, and just because you played games as a kid, doesn't mean you've played every game out there. For the most part, all the games of my early childhood were hand-me-downs from relatives so I never had much choice in what I played, I was simply never introduced to other games.
who's talking about the internet? im talking about people i actually know. and it seriously sadens me everytime i hear "I Don't know who Megaman is." like honestly it makes me die a little more everytime.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The image link is still broken for me. Perhaps use Tinypic on it or something? Reupload the image.

Monsieur, I would, but your roster image doesn't display for me. :ohwell:
I'll repost it using Photobucket later.
@ N3ON N3ON I'm going to repost it because people can't see it, not because nobody commented on it.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
i dont mean to insult u but, cmon man at least try to use an example within the realm of possibility. otherwise u sound ignorant.
Okay, I admit, I screwed up there. Let's try someone else. ...Well, huh. You have a point there, You know what? I'm just gonna try to stop this argument. We're all good friends here, so I'm just gonna say this: I think Little Mac should stay as an assist trophy‚ and X's main protagonist should become playable to promote X. I'm sorry for rasing hands today.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Okay, I admit, I screwed up there. Let's try someone else. ...Well, huh. You have a point there, You know what? I'm just gonna try to stop this argument. We're all good friends here, so I'm just gonna say this: I think Little Mac should stay as an assist trophy‚ and X's main protagonist should become playable to promote X. I'm sorry for rasing hands today.
I STILL don't understand why the protagonist of an UNRELEASED game should make it into Smash Bros for promotional purposes!
:roymelee:
Never mind.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I STILL don't understand why the protagonist of an UNRELEASED game should make it into Smash Bros for promotional purposes!
:roymelee:
Never mind.
Roy wasn't included for promotional purposes. He was included because Sakurai thought he better differentiated himself as a Marth clone compared to Lief.

I'll repost it using Photobucket later.
@ N3ON N3ON I'm going to repost it because people can't see it, not because nobody commented on it.
Alright, but please don't post it multiple times in such a short time span next time.

Morbi

Scavenger
@ Morbi Morbi
Personally I would put Punch Out on Kid Icarus's level.
Honestly.
I agree, Sora's development on Uprising certainly helps KI in that context, but I feel that with the Wii on Sakurai's mind, he will definitely be thinking about Punch Out Wii, a notable reboot of a classic Nintendo franchise.
And I wasn't really active pre-Brawl, but I thought that Mac was pretty popular back then as a retro option.
Yes, I am speaking comparatively. Little Mac was still requested, but if I am not mistaken, Pit was one of the most notable retro choices with international prominence. However, I do agree with your sentiment, Kid Icarus is about on Punch Out's level. That being said, the distinct differences that are discernible make it unfair to allude to the two series as equivalent (as stated prior to this post). That being said, I do find Mac likely, I just don't find him as notable as other notable "shoe-in" characters.

Punch Out sounds like a great game, it simply lacks exposure, I wasn't even aware of its existence before I speculated about Smash. That might be the case for other individuals as well.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Looks fine to me. Includes every character from Brawl plus, of course, other characters confirmed for SSB4. Newcomers include (return of) Mewtwo, K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Mac, Goroh, Chrom, Andy, Takamaru, and Mach Rider.

I believe Mewtwo and Ridley have obvious reasons to be included.

I think two DK newcomers is completely reasonable.

Little Mac is my favorite.

Goroh is, I think, the best choice for another F-Zero character, but I don't see another F-Zero character as a big priority. However, everything else I WOULD consider a bigger priority you already have. I personally would prioritize a second Yoshi character or even a second Kid Icarus character over a second F-Zero character, but that's no better or worse.

Chrom makes total sense.

I always see what people are going for with Andy; the Wars series is one of the larger Nintendo franchises to not have a character, and plenty of material to make a good one. However, it's hard to point out a specific Wars character that stands out as the representation of the series. Andy probably comes pretty close.

Takamaru AND Mach Rider, two new retro characters. Between these, Andy, and Mac, that's a lot of new series characters, but at this point, with most large franchises already having their staple characters and more, there's room for this. Mach Rider wouldn't have been my pick, but he's unique regardless and a good surprise.
Yeah, I myself would prioritize a second Yoshi character before a second F-Zero, I just think a second F-Zero character is more likely.
Now, onto a new question: what did you think of it, design/ structure wise? This doesn't matter THAT much, but it still would be helpful. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom