• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

My roster, wrote out all my reasoning but my computer froze. So, I think theres a decent chance that Robin and Chrom could be switched ith one another, as well as Kalos for Kanto. Takamaru and Shulk are other characters I could see being included, if the roster was larger.
47 Characters is nice.
• Snake is the only cut, which makes sense.
• Top row looks nice, same as the second. My only "complaint" is probably the removal of the Kalos Trainer (Even if it's a safety precaution or something like that), but I can certainly see the possibility of the Trainer being an alternate costume of sorts.
• Tingle is welcome, but I doubt we'll see him before another Retro character. Sakurai has expressed interest in breathing new life into older characters, so the fact that one is missing from the main roster is a bit alarming. Perhaps switch Tingle's position with Takamaru's?
• Chrom or Robin are fine choices.
• Next Row is fine and Final Row are fine as well.

So to recap, my advice is too:
1. Consider switching Tingle and Takamaru.
2. Consider removing Kalos Trainer entirely, or demote him to a potential alternate costume.
Either way I think it's a good and probable roster, but no Retro character is a pretty big risk. Especially with a larger amount of characters.

EDIT:
You know what, I'll toss in my current roster too.

There really isn't much to say, other than why Mach Rider is my retro choice:​
• Sakurai would like to revive forgotten franchises and I feel that Mach Rider is a forgotten franchise. With absolutely little to no love for the game since conception outside of Smash. This makes Mach the perfect blank slate for Sakurai to mold into something interesting, he also has shown a liking to the character before development of Melee.
• When compared to the stronger competition (Takamaru and Lip) Mach is much less relevant than these two. The former having several cameo appearances in recent years while the latter has had a title or two during the DS era (although she was not present in said game) and a couple of cameos as well. This would make Mach Rider the fresher face of the three to make a comeback.
• I pretty much chose him for organizational purposes, he can easily be replaced with any other retro character. I just thought the roster looked it's best with Mach on it.​

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not to derail the current subject, but I must swiftly butt in.

I'm doing a wee bit or preliminary research and won't be using this information for awhile, but I'll keep in mind what I get.

Anyway, here is my question. If Snake is in fact confirmed to not be playable in Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS, would you support a movement to try and get him back?

The reason I ask this is that I plan on doing so considering Snake is my favorite character to play as most of the time in Smash Bros Brawl, and I'm simply trying to get opinions on the idea.

Thanks in advance! I truly appreciate it.
The problem with petitions is that they tend to fall on deaf ears when they involve Nintendo's work.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Not to derail the current subject, but I must swiftly butt in.

I'm doing a wee bit or preliminary research and won't be using this information for awhile, but I'll keep in mind what I get.

Anyway, here is my question. If Snake is in fact confirmed to not be playable in Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS, would you support a movement to try and get him back?

The reason I ask this is that I plan on doing so considering Snake is my favorite character to play as most of the time in Smash Bros Brawl, and I'm simply trying to get opinions on the idea.

Thanks in advance! I truly appreciate it.
Right here, man!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Okay guys here's the deal.

As of right now, I will not be doing what I have been claiming I will do in case of Snake's absence. Here's why.

1) Setting a precedent. While I'm rather passionate about it, starting something like this would lead to nasty... NASTY results leading to support for every/any character cut from Smash. That could get bad.
2) Project M. If Snake gets cut, he will be one of the top prospects to be added in the Wii U version. I don't like the wait, but it is a necessary and possible one.

We don't know his fate just yet, but Snake will stay in Smash one way or another. He will.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Okay guys here's the deal.

As of right now, I will not be doing what I have been claiming I will do in case of Snake's absence. Here's why.

1) Setting a precedent. While I'm rather passionate about it, starting something like this would lead to nasty... NASTY results leading to support for every/any character cut from Smash. That could get bad.
2) Project M. If Snake gets cut, he will be one of the top prospects to be added in the Wii U version. I don't like the wait, but it is a necessary and possible one.

We don't know his fate just yet, but Snake will stay in Smash one way or another. He will.
I wouldn't worry about Snake not returning, as it seems pretty likely that he will.

But in the case he doesn't, I guess I'm going to have to be the one to start leading to the creation of the so called, nasty results.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wouldn't worry about Snake not returning, as it seems pretty likely that he will.

But in the case he doesn't, I guess I'm going to have to be the one to start leading to the creation of the so called, nasty results.
The problem with the precedent it sets is that if Snake comes back because of it, then literally ANY character would be put up on a similar case. What would stop a Pichu movement? They already set the precedent.

It's a slippery slope. We can't jump to any conclusions right now, but at the end of the day there isn't a real reason to do so. If he doesn't get in, he'll certainly be added to Project M Wii U, which would produce faster, and possibly better results.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
The problem with the precedent it sets is that if Snake comes back because of it, then literally ANY character would be put up on a similar case. What would stop a Pichu movement? They already set the precedent.

It's a slippery slope. We can't jump to any conclusions right now, but at the end of the day there isn't a real reason to do so. If he doesn't get in, he'll certainly be added to Project M Wii U, which would produce faster, and possibly better results.
The thing with other characters that were cut (unless they were from Brawl) they would probably not have as big of a following. The biggest I can think of is Roy, assuming Mewtwo returns and Roy doesn't. Heck, I honestly don't even see Wolf or Lucas getting as much support as Snake for a return.

We're going to get a Project M Wii U? I honestly haven't heard anything about it. But, like I said earlier, I think Snake will return this Smash. There's nothing much pointing towards his disclusion that wasn't in Brawl.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
There's nothing much pointing towards his disclusion that wasn't in Brawl.
Well, don't quote me on this, but Nintendo doesn't really make the Metal Gear Solid series stand out like they do MegaMan and Sonic, all we got in the recent years as far as Metal Gear was a 3DS Remake for Snake Eater.

But I still support Snake coming back, primarily because of the codec taunts and fans wanting him back, plus the snaking suspicion that Kojima was bluffing about him not knowing if Snake would return.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't know, but I wouldn't doubt it. There's supposed to be a Homebrewer for Wii U out sometime this year.

I just don't want to waste time on it if it has an easy resolution via new Project M.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't know, but I wouldn't doubt it. There's supposed to be a Homebrewer for Wii U out sometime this year.

I just don't want to waste time on it if it has an easy resolution via new Project M.
And the 3DS will most likely get the shortest stick.
Yipee...

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
And the 3DS will most likely get the shortest stick.
Yipee...
Well, what do you expect? The 3ds version is taking measures to cut down the game so it will fit on the portable console, and PM devs will likely only work on the version of the game that will be played most at tournaments.

Well, don't quote me on this, but Nintendo doesn't really make the Metal Gear Solid series stand out like they do MegaMan and Sonic, all we got in the recent years as far as Metal Gear was a 3DS Remake for Snake Eater.
Gonna quote you on this.

This is the special snakeskin 3ds that came bundled with special edition versions of mgs3d. There was also a kh3d bundled special 3ds, but i don't know of others.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
AEM.. are you going to stick with Muddy Mole or Mach Rider? :p
Ha well, I'm fine with either. Muddy wasn't on my previous roster and I just figured the roster seemed to be much more well organized with Mach in his place.

I feel that the same factors I brought up for Mach Rider easily fits the bill for Muddy, maybe even more to an extent. Since he hasn't been in anything at all Mole Mania.

D

Deleted member

Eventually, I can see Project M on Wii U, but the real question is why. A Wii U costs insurmountably more than a Wii. If you're going to buy either just for Project M it's obviously going to be the Wii. Right now, and for the foreseeable future, there is too small of an install base to make it worthwhile.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, what do you expect? The 3ds version is taking measures to cut down the game so it will fit on the portable console, and PM devs will likely only work on the version of the game that will be played most at tournaments.
Ah yes.
I do humbly apologize for my temper. I shouldn't have stepped my boundaries.
If you excuse me, I'll be on my way. Oh, no need to hold the door, I can do it myself.

Oh, and good luck with wireless controllers. You'll need it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ah yes.
I do humbly apologize for my temper. I shouldn't have stepped my boundaries.
If you excuse me, I'll be on my way. Oh, no need to hold the door, I can do it myself.

Oh, and good luck with wireless controllers. You'll need it.
There are adapters to use gamecube controllers on Wii U. I own two of them and they work fine.

The Wii U Pro Controllers have incredible potential as well. What's your point?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Keep in mind that we're not in 2002 anymore. Wireless controllers have significantly improved. Remember when we had someone playing with a Wii Remote and Nunchuck at a tournament? No issues whatsoever. I'm positive that it'll be fine...so long as you don't have 100 connected at once.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team

Wii U is not more hard to create a mod tham Wii? Project M Wii U can take more time tham the first....

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Keep in mind that we're not in 2002 anymore. Wireless controllers have significantly improved. Remember when we had someone playing with a Wii Remote and Nunchuck at a tournament? No issues whatsoever. I'm positive that it'll be fine...so long as you don't have 100 connected at once.
Somebody did the math, and with the Wii u's bluetooth connections, we'll need 15,000 different connections in a small area for input lag to even exist. More than the insanely tiny lag that it shares with a wired controller

So yeah, no trouble whatsoever. (besides syncing with different consoles)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Wii U not only is harder to crack, it has a fraction of the amount of users who'd actually want to play Project M.

It'll take years before they get to it. But they will, eventually.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Well, Wii U homebrew, comes out this year, and brawls internet is gone in may, so as long as the development team gets to work as quickly as possible, they could get characters out in by 2016-2018

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
There are adapters to use gamecube controllers on Wii U. I own two of them and they work fine.

The Wii U Pro Controllers have incredible potential as well. What's your point?
Can you point me to where I can get those? I can't properly play my smash without my trusty Orange controller!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
guys, remember today's POTD? what if Luigi's final smash is a transformation final smash like Samus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom