• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sometime today, I'll try to diffuse my updated roster.

All I can say about it is I've made 1 cut on it.
And a really painful one.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Final Roster.png

My roster. I imagine that the only one I'll need to justify is Lucina, since every other choice is pretty much the usual fare, so I'm pre-emptively justifying my choice.

Lucina is there for a variety of reasons, one of which is that I'm biased.

According to the developer's interview, she survived from the very first concepts of the game, meaning that Awakening was literally built up around her. She's the only character to have a unique confession scene to Avatar, since she doesn't go to the bubbles background like everyone else does. She was used on both the artbook and soundtrack covers, she appears in 3 out of 4 of the drama CDs, she got two chapters in the comic and she's getting a Figma.

Appearance wise, the only one of Marth's design's that she looks like is his DLC redesign. Other than that, they don't look that alike. Even the swords don't look alike, as Marth is still using the original Falchion design, while Lucina uses a different hilted version of Falchion's redesign.

In terms of uniqueness, she can do everything Chrom can do AND everything her mother can do too, giving her more to draw from, like using a pegasus for her recovery, which references four of her mothers, as well as the class changing and inheritance mechanics of Awakening. Plus, her fighting style isn't in Smash yet, since she's a German fencer who tends to hold her sword in the Ochs guard, making the way she swings her sword unique too.

So, 51 characters counting transformations, 47 not, no cuts, 11 newcomers and 1 returning veteran.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
View attachment 8188
According to the developer's interview, she survived from the very first concepts of the game, meaning that Awakening was literally built up around her. She's the only character to have a unique confession scene to Avatar, since she doesn't go to the bubbles background like everyone else does. She was used on both the artbook and soundtrack covers, she appears in 3 out of 4 of the drama CDs, she got two chapters in the comic and she's getting a Figma.
I just wanted to point out that technically, Tharja also had a unique background for her confession; a green bubbly background compared to the usual pink. So... yeah.

Good roster though.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I've seen Lucina on a few rosters. On the topic of Lucina in general, I don't think she's any worse of a choice than Chrom; she's the Chrom of the children generation, and every bit as important to Awakening.

I believe she can be added to rosters without the need of justification, say what you will of Chrom, Roy, etc.

?????????????

Smash Master
Having another Star Fox character isn't a necessity, but I don't think it's entirely out of the question either. Krystal is a good choice for that regardless.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Honestly, Chrom is probably the most likely, and Lucina would be cool I guess, but the only thing that holds me back on them is moveset potential. I'm pretty sure we all know Sakurai is going for uniqueness. Which is why I support Tiki and Anna.

?????????????

Smash Master
As far as playstyle and moveset potential go for Chrom, in terms of originality and differentiation from other characters, I've never been worried.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'm planning on reposting my roster later, and now it's got some changes to it. But, people might not appreciate them.
Certainly, do tell sometime. I'm far more open-minded than I used to be, certainly people can and have changed.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I've always did find the idea of making a prediction thread to be sort of pointless, because in the end it's never going to be accurate, and there is a stigma about straying away from what is familiar but at the same time moaning about things being too stale. It's why I sort of prefer dream rosters, because it sort of dwells into more curious decisions.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I've always did find the idea of making a prediction thread to be sort of pointless, because in the end it's never going to be accurate, and there is a stigma about straying away from what is familiar but at the same time moaning about things being too stale. It's why I sort of prefer dream rosters, because it sort of dwells into more curious decisions.
Is there a dream roster thread? I had an idea I wanted to talk about, but I didn't think it would pertain to this topic.

My dream roster would have Meowth.

EDIT: I suppose the official title of the thread is "Character Discussion," so I guess that means I can talk about whatever character I want, regardless of likelihood.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Is there a dream roster thread? I had an idea I wanted to talk about, but I didn't think it would pertain to this topic.

My dream roster would have Meowth.
I've created a variety of dream rosters, the lowest being 55. You can guess easily who would be on there.

View attachment 8195
Whelp, here it is. I added Pac-man and (ugh) Chrom.
It's alright. My only qualm with it is that there's no 2nd KI slot, which at this point seems like a near shoo-in.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I hindsight, if conventions were ignored for a second, I would go after a lot more choices. Like, off the top of my head, I would pick stuff like Vyse and Amaterasu, while in the context of relating to Nintendo I would go after stuff like Blaziken and Sothe. But still, I don't mind more standard picks for the most part.

?????????????

Smash Master
I know people like Palutena a lot, but I would actually be happier still with Hades or Magnus. I think they would be so fun.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
His big club could bring something new, do we have a club fighter yet?
But I rather wait till he becomes more important in the KI series.
Hopefully we get a new Kid Icarus soon.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Speaking of Palutena, am I the only person noticing that after the Palutena leaks spread like crazy, more dictators towards the character came out of the wood works?

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
His big club could bring something new, do we have a club fighter yet?
But I rather wait till he becomes more important in the KI series.
Hopefully we get a new Kid Icarus soon.
Magnus's club essentially works like a huge sword. Like Ike.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If I could do a dream roster, I's probably only add a couple more characters. Slime, Waddle Dee, and Mewtwo. I'd also like to see a Female Pokémon Trainer with Pichu, Gardevoir and Blaziken; but it's not a necessity.

Speaking of Palutena, am I the only person noticing that after the Palutena leaks spread like crazy, more dictators towards the character came out of the wood works?
Dictators?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
You know, people rejecting the idea of Palutena.

I've seen it come up more ever since those leaks came up.
At this point, we've got 2 Stages for KI, Uprising was popular and successful, Palutena is pretty unique already. I don't really see good arguements against her.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One argument (which isn't meant to be "against" her, but more along the lines of a Devil's Advocate) is that Sakurai could keep her being part of Pit's Final Smash much like the case with the Toad Shield.

I personally see the situations between the two as different, but one never really knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom