• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
As an additional F-Zero representative advocate, I appreciate Samurai Goroh on the roster. Vaati is your personal touch, and honestly, I want to see Vaati playable just to see your reaction. I am open to any Fire Emblem character, and I am a closet Robin supporter, so that is a nice addition that mitigates some of the perceived detriments of little aesthetic diversity from that particular series (while not resorting to Fire Sword). That being said, why is Saki in this roster? Care to elaborate? I really want to comprehend why some find him to be likely.
I added him mostly due to the large possibility of him having a fun and very unique moveset, that and I felt he would be a fairly large contender for a new series character, which I decided to focus a bit more on this time around.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So...

How about those krazy DK reps? Dixie, K Rool, and Cranky. What are the pros to each, and what are the cons?...

(Totally not trying to stir up something)

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
@ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous

Why "hopefully Phantom"? I am confused, the predominant reason I do not advocate Phantom as an assist trophy is based on the notion that he is a seemingly generic hack and slash assist based on a generic enemy. Legend of Zelda has a plethora of more suitable assist trophies that are actually unique. I am just curious, if Vaati and Ghirahim aren't playable, I would much rather they become assist trophies over Phantom.

To be more concise, I don't want to debate whether or not Phantom is an assist, I am wondering why you want him as an assist.
Well, I don't really want him as an assist, it's more closure than anything. If the Phantom is a new Zelda move, then there is a good chance that Sheik is gone.

The Phantom is in the game in some form. I just don't want it to be a replacement for Sheik, as most people are theorizing.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I added him mostly due to the large possibility of him having a fun and very unique moveset, that and I felt he would be a fairly large contender for a new series character, which I decided to focus a bit more on this time around.
I don't think he would be "very" unique, as all he offers is his katanas, which is not that much compared to Rosalina's unique cosmic powers and being paired with Luma.

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he would be very unique, as all he offers is his katanas, which is not that much compared to Rosalina's unique cosmic powers and being paired with Luma.
What about Isa ? I read (because I didn't played the game) that he has more variety and weapons than Saki. In that case, could he offer an uniqueness not present in smash ?

?????????????

Smash Master
So...

How about those krazy DK reps? Dixie, K Rool, and Cranky. What are the pros to each, and what are the cons?...

K. Rool is one of the few classic iconic Nintendo villains left to not already be playable in Super Smash Bros. Through his different roles as a boss, he has displayed a large variety of abilities. However, since RARE has left Nintendo, not much has been done with the character in main Donkey Kong titles.

Dixie Kong has seen a lot more publicity, with her initial reveal as a playable character in Tropical Freeze, a fairly consistent side character in other recent Donkey Kong games, and through appearances in spin-off Mario games alongside Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. She has the potential to bring something new to the table with the abilities attached to her hair, although the actual amount of abilities she herself brings is probably less than K. Rool and possibly less than Cranky Kong.

Cranky Kong is strange. He has been around as long as King K. Rool, and has been about as consistent of a recurring character as Diddy Kong. He's a more definite staple to the franchise than either K. Rool or Dixie, but nobody seriously considered him until he was announced playable for Tropical Freeze. Now with a plausible means to fight and a playstyle unique to SSB, he could be a serious contender, but K. Rool and Dixie have been in the light for much longer.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Thank you, I was having trouble finding it for him.

I don't think he would be "very" unique, as all he offers is his katanas, which is not that much compared to Rosalina's unique cosmic powers and being paired with Luma.
Saki? He's got plenty more than Katana's. He was a pretty unique Assist Trophy in Brawl by himself. He could also use the hover pack and such that Isa used.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
What about Isa ? I read (because I didn't played the game) that he has more variety and weapons than Saki. In that case, could he offer an uniqueness not present in smash ?
He does a sort of extreme feel that Smash could have. I think he would be sort of an intense fighter for hardcore Smash players, but his tools are nothing new, his beam sword and his gun are pretty standard. If he could have the ability to hover, I think it would be pretty cool, but it's not much.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
So...

K. ROOL
PROS
Villain to the series. The Bowser of Donkey Kong.
Very unique. Brings something new to the table.
Being a villain makes him important to the series.
Not a monkey. Would appear different.
Wanted very much.
Donkey Kong character almost inevitable,
So likely he is considered shoo-in by many.

CONS
Relevancy (which doesn't matter)
Competition (Dixie and Cranky)
Too big

DIXIE
PROS
Semi-clone would be easy to make.
Very important to series.
Was planned for Brawl as a tag t team
Popular
Another Donkey Kong rep almost inevitable.

CONS
Clone. Not unique.
Competition
Not as popular as K. Rool
Monkey.

CRANKY
PROS
More unique than Dixie (Potions, cane, etc)
Old, would appear different than Dixie.
Semi-Popular
Donkey Kong rep almost inevitable
Very important to series.

CONS
Not as popular as other two
Competition
Monkey

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Since when did being a monkey become a con. :dizzy:

There is a lot you can pull from just using a katana. Lets say if both Takamaru & Goroh we're in they'll be given two distinct styles. The former shows a more traditional samurai style while the latter can do the more dynamic approach. I'm mainly talking about standard attacks, specials, Takamaru is pretty easy to pull from with all the items he has.
Yeah, he could have somewhat of a sumo-styled approach with Goroh, but I still don't think that's enough.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Falco not because of the leak, but because the Star Fox anniversary is on the 21st of this month.
While it is the prime time to reveal him on that day, I wouldn't put that much expectation into that.

There is a lot you can pull from just using a katana. Lets say if both Takamaru & Goroh we're in they'll be given two distinct styles. The former shows a more traditional samurai style while the latter can do the more dynamic approach. I'm mainly talking about standard attacks, specials, Takamaru is pretty easy to pull from with all the items he has.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
K. Rool is one of the few classic iconic Nintendo villains left to not already be playable in Super Smash Bros. Through his different roles as a boss, he has displayed a large variety of abilities. However, since RARE has left Nintendo, not much has been done with the character in main Donkey Kong titles.

Dixie Kong has seen a lot more publicity, with her initial reveal as a playable character in Tropical Freeze, a fairly consistent side character in other recent Donkey Kong games, and through appearances in spin-off Mario games alongside Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. She has the potential to bring something new to the table with the abilities attached to her hair, although the actual amount of abilities she herself brings is probably less than K. Rool and possibly less than Cranky Kong.

Cranky Kong is strange. He has been around as long as King K. Rool, and has been about as consistent of a recurring character as Diddy Kong. He's a more definite staple to the franchise than either K. Rool or Dixie, but nobody seriously considered him until he was announced playable for Tropical Freeze. Now with a plausible means to fight and a playstyle unique to SSB, he could be a serious contender, but K. Rool and Dixie have been in the light for much longer.
Cranky Kong epitomizes what it means to deserve a spot.

He started from the bottom.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd like to start by saying that I like the way the roster looks, but I think it would look better if the main 10 characters were in the center instead of at the edges. But the icon design looks really nice.
Also no Little Mac? Living dangerously there pal, considering he's like the only newcomer everyone would generally consider a shoe-in at this point. But yeah interesting choice there, any reason why you chose to not include him (Out of curiosity)?
I can agree with this.
I could see this happening, but I personally think it's not that likely.
Famicom Four? Are you referring to Link, Pit, and Samus as well? Never really thought of it like that, hmm...
#teamreal
I can agree with this mindset.
I wouldn't agree with Star Fox getting Krystal, but that really is mostly for the Maximum Characters per Franchise "rule". However for the sake of essentially having something basically the same but for another franchise, maybe consider Black Shadow? Guy is supposedly elite in Japan because of his voice actor.
Makes sense, not my personal choice but makes sense all the same.
Eh, two majorly Japanese exclusive characters? I dunno, I think you might have to pick between Lip and Takamaru. I just don't see it happening this time around.
Pac's an okay choice. I mean I'd love to see him in the game, but for a third-party character he doesn't really add to the hype-meter substantially (Unlike Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man did). He's more expected than wanted which may not be worth the extra effort to be added into the game.
Thanks! By in the centre, you wouldn't mean like this would you?

As for Little Mac, I've stated before that I think that "leak" is a load of BS. I just don't see him as anything more than assist trophy material, I guess I don't have a nostalgia boner for Punch Out like everyone else seems to have.

The Famicom Four refers to Link, Samus, Pit, and Takamaru, yes. Takamaru is in a very similar position to Pit, it helps his chances I think.

I don't get how you're comparing Krystal to Black Shadow (or why everyone seems to bring up F-Zero in regards to Star Fox), Krystal has a unique moveset to bring that's a contrast to the other three spacies, while the only reasons I see people give for any F-Zero character is just that, for the sake of having an F-Zero character. I don't believe in this at all, I think characters should get in on their own merits, not because their franchise "needs more" or "has too many." Look at the character, not the icon they wear.

Sakurai has expressed that he likes bringing back older characters, and he has a personal preference for Lip that I believe he might act on this time. She'd also be the only puzzle game character in Smash (besides Dr. Mario anyway).

I don't see how Pac-Man needs to add to the hype, I mean, Miss Fit sure didn't get people very excited. Sakurai likes adding characters like that, no one really liked R.O.B. either.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
As for Little Mac, I've stated before that I think that "leak" is a load of BS. I just don't see him as anything more than assist trophy material, I guess I don't have a nostalgia boner for Punch Out like everyone else seems to have..
Your opinion doesn't change Mac's stance, he is a classic Nintendo character recognized by many Nintendo fans that deserves to be in the roster, even though I'm really neutral regarding Mac's potential moveset.

Yeah most Cranky movesets have Barrels, Potions, and canes.
And balloons.
Cranky Kong should've stolen Balloon Fighter's gimmick.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Samurai Goroh is as terrible a character choice now as he was over a decade ago. Total gag fest.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Your opinion doesn't change Mac's stance, he is a classic Nintendo character recognized by many Nintendo fans that deserves to be in the roster, even though I'm really neutral regarding Mac's potential moveset.
Everyone thinks he's a shoe-in because of that leak, and because they all love them some Little Mac. Oh, and because of that obvious Punch Out stage, but people seem to forget that we had stages in Brawl without characters, a stage does not automatically equal a character.

Really, I'm doing the same thing everyone else is doing, I'm basing his likelihood on opinions, not facts. I just don't know if Sakurai would see anything in him as a playable character when he's going for such unique choices this time.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As far as Cranky being the Original DK, and thus being incredibly important, I'm skeptical. It's canon that Cranky is the Original DK, and if he's playable, he definitely could use a few arcade throwbacks, but part of me thinks that, because the Arcade DK is named 'Donkey Kong,' that qualifies as importance for regular DK, not Cranky. Let's not forget that, in both 64 and Melee, DK's trophy descriptions claimed him to be the one kidnapping maidens and engaging in 'construction site mischief.' And there's still those Lemmings ripoffs in which DK actually does kidnap Pauline to muddy the issue even more.

Under this mindset, Cranky is still important to his series, but isn't this cultural behemoth that we're sorely lacking.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Everyone thinks he's a shoe-in because of that leak, and because they all love them some Little Mac. Oh, and because of that obvious Punch Out stage, but people seem to forget that we had stages in Brawl without characters, a stage does not automatically equal a character.
-I don't believe in that leak at all.
-The stage is a boxing ring, yes, but it could be just that, not a Punch Out stage.
-I still think Mac has a shot because he offers different things to the table. He has the potential to be unique. Like Rosalina. A lot of people thought she was going to be a clone.

As far as Cranky being the Original DK, and thus being incredibly important, I'm skeptical. It's canon that Cranky is the Original DK, and if he's playable, he definitely could use a few arcade throwbacks, but part of me thinks that, because the Arcade DK is named 'Donkey Kong,' that qualifies as importance for regular DK, not Cranky. Let's not forget that, in both 64 and Melee, DK's trophy descriptions claimed him to be the one kidnapping maidens and engaging in 'construction site mischief.' And there's still those Lemmings ripoffs in which DK actually does kidnap Pauline to muddy the issue even more.
To make things even worse, there's still the heavy misconception that the arcade DK and the current DK are one and the same. I believe it was a call made in DKCR that the whole Cranky is the original was canon, but only starting then.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Really, I'm doing the same thing everyone else is doing, I'm basing his likelihood on opinions, not facts. I just don't know if Sakurai would see anything in him as a playable character when he's going for such unique choices this time.
Well if you research hard enough, there is a Star system mechanic from the actual which Mac could have, when you hit the opponent enough times, you'll gain a Star Punch, allowing you to KO the opponent with the move. Basically a risk and reward system. It's all about trying hard to find a possible playstyle for characters, because Sakurai is not going to say "All he does is punch," he's going to research to find a way to make Mac interesting.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well if you research hard enough, there is a Star system mechanic from the actual which Mac could have, when you hit the opponent enough times, you'll gain a Star Punch, allowing you to KO the opponent with the move. Basically a risk and reward system. It's all about trying hard to find a possible playstyle for characters, because Sakurai is not going to say "All he does is punch," he's going to research to find a way to make Mac interesting.
If you try hard enough, you can come up with a moveset for anything. I'm going to leave it at that, I'm simply not jumping on the Little Mac bandwagon.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Under this mindset, Cranky is still important to his series, but isn't this cultural behemoth that we're sorely lacking.
Most of us are just being facetious.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
hi everybody i am new here i enjoy reading smash boards i would post my roster prediction but i have no idea how too

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If you try hard enough, you can come up with a moveset for anything. I'm going to leave it at that, I'm simply not jumping on the Little Mac bandwagon.
There is a difference between plastering moves onto a character, and making moves that mesh into a playstyle that can be taken advantage of.

I will say that it's not exactly a clear cut thing.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
As for Little Mac, I've stated before that I think that "leak" is a load of BS. I just don't see him as anything more than assist trophy material, I guess I don't have a nostalgia boner for Punch Out like everyone else seems to have.
okay, I don't think that the "leak" is true either, but if you look at everything else (the stage, being an assist in brawl, Punch-Out!! existing, the stage, the popularity, the stage) you have to give him a considerable amount of credit. he's likely even if you don't have nostalgia for the series. I never owned any of those games as a wee lil rob.

but hey, opinions are opinions, I guess.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
hi everybody i am new here i enjoy reading smash boards i would post my roster prediction but i have no idea how too
Do you have it uploaded to another site, or is it still on your computer?

If it's already uploaded, just click the image icon(to the right of the smiley face in the reply options) and paste the image URL. If npt, you can attach it to your post directly using the "Upload a File" button.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
okay, I don't think that the "leak" is true either, but if you look at everything else (the stage, being an assist in brawl, Punch-Out!! existing, the stage, the popularity, the stage) you have to give him a considerable amount of credit. he's likely even if you don't have nostalgia for the series. I never owned any of those games as a wee lil rob.

but hey, opinions are opinions, I guess.
Did you miss what I said about the stage before? Forgetting Smashville? Hanenbow? Pictochat? A stage means jack ****, we can get a Punch Out stage by itself.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Did you miss what I said about the stage before? Forgetting Smashville? Hanenbow? Pictochat? A stage means jack ****, we can get a Punch Out stage by itself.
none of those series had "fighters" that were considered viable for the final game. (yes, villager wasn't considered viable by sakuri back in brawl, and his poinion has changed as you all know)

I seriously doubt he's going to add a punch out stage and not see any viable characters. ESPECIALLY since punch out is a "fighting game" (AKA a game with mainly fighting, not the genre)

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
none of those series had "fighters" that were considered viable for the final game. (yes, villager wasn't considered viable by sakuri back in brawl, and his poinion has changed as you all know)

I seriously doubt he's going to add a punch out stage and not see any viable characters. ESPECIALLY since punch out is a "fighting game" (AKA a game with mainly fighting, not the genre)
I've seen Punch Out actually as a puzzle game for all this time. It's about seeing what works for what situation, when to do so, and patterns.
But Little Mac is a character that really has the shot. There's not really a good arguement against it. That's not saying he's going to be in/was added, but saying that he has a more realistic potential than other characters, ignoring the stage!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
But Hanenbow and Pictochat obviously have no feasible characters to pick from, it was probably just for the unique stage elements they could offer.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
With Animal Crossing, the series was big enough to have at least a stage, but he didn't find the character feasible due to the peaceful nature.
Which brings us back to the point that Sakurai is a total flake when it comes to consistency. The guy makes more things up as he goes along than J.J. Abrams working on LOST.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I've seen Punch Out actually as a puzzle game for all this time. It's about seeing what works for what situation, when to do so, and patterns.
But Little Mac is a character that really has the shot. There's not really a good arguement against it. That's not saying he's going to be in/was added, but saying that he has a more realistic potential than other characters, ignoring the stage!
Imma say my thing in another way:

If Sakuri took a look at punch out (which he obviously did, looking at the stage), is he really going to see little mac and not include him now that most of the main nintendo cast is covered already? don't think so.

also yeah, I agree on the basis Punch-out is a pattern and reflex based game. it's pretty fun!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
But Hanenbow and Pictochat obviously have no feasible characters to pick from, it was probably just for the unique stage elements they could offer.

And this is exactly why I don't have Little Mac, I'm of the opinion that Sakurai doesn't see him as a viable fighter, but rather an assist trophy.

Saying the stage means a playable character? Assist trophies can't have stages? Let's see:

Confirmed Nintendog assist trophy has a stage.

There's a Pilotwings stage, so I guess that means a Pilotwings character is inevitable.

Find Mii must make Miis inevitable too, prepare yourselves.

And again, Henenbow and Pictochat. Like I said, Sakurai probably doesn't see Little Mac as viable. Of course, my opinion will change if he makes the cut.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom