• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
You guys have no idea how much I have come to respect people who actually admit that their favorite characters may not have great chances. I appreciate stuff like that.
I've seen what happens when people pretend that their pet character is more likely/important than they are(not naming names), and it's never pretty or fun for anyone involved. I strive to be realistic and objective in everything I do, not just Smash speculation.

Gune

Smash Lord
I'm strongly against Chrom as the Fire Emblem newcomer, personally. I shouldn't judge him just because he wields a sword, but I just don't think enough can be done with him to make him the unique character we want him to be. If Sakurai managed to pull it off, I'd be thrilled, though.
Thats honestly one of the reasons i kinda like him and support him there is possibillities to make him amazing, if he does get in a doubt sakurai would just make him a outright clone of ike or marth he would put some kindoff spice to his moveset, that's honestly all I want to see from FE some spicey chrom.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I've never seen the appeal in Chrom, although it might just be my bias against him before Awakening even came out. However, I do find interest in Lucina and, contrary to popular belief, do believe she'd be a very unique character since she doesn't fight at all like Marth.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Thats honestly one of the reasons i kinda like him and support him there is possibillities to make him amazing, if he does get in a doubt sakurai would just make him a outright clone of ike or marth he would put some kindoff spice to his moveset, that's honestly all I want to see from FE some spicey chrom.
I don't think you want to see a "spicy Chrom"...

*cues @ Robert of Normandy Robert of Normandy to post dat ass shots of Chrom :troll:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
What I'd like to see from Fire Emblem is more of the weapons they use. That's why I support the Tactician the most. It's current, and even about as important as Chrom in the game. When I compare the two, I think that Tactician surpasses Chrom in uniqueness, while Chrom surpasses in popularity. I'm fine with either, as long as I get a fun and unique character out of it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah, I know Kawasaki has little chance. But is it wrong that I support him?
It's never wrong to support or want a character, but it is wrong if you try to inflate the status of the characters you support in order to soothe your insecurities. Just admit to yourself that your character isn't likely.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
I'm not taking that bait. Not in this new thread. :p
Seriously, I don't want any infractions. :urg:

Gune

Smash Lord
What I'd like to see from Fire Emblem is more of the weapons they use. That's why I support the Tactician the most. It's current, and even about as important as Chrom in the game. When I compare the two, I think that Tactician surpasses Chrom in uniqueness, while Chrom surpasses in popularity. I'm fine with either, as long as I get a fun and unique character out of it.
Yeah when Robin/Tactician come's into play I see him/her as a more acceptable and unique addition, It's hard to say who is more viable in sakurai eyes though im honestly stumped who will be the third FE character there's just to many possibilities.
It's never wrong to support or want a character, but it is wrong if you try to inflate the status of the characters you support in order to soothe your insecurities. Just admit to yourself that your character isn't likely.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
I'm not taking that bait. Not in this new thread. :p
Seriously, I don't want any infractions. :urg:
B-but the spicy chrom! :sadeyes:

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Chrom and Robin or Lucina might be interesting. Not sure how another tag-team will work coming off Rosalina and Luma, but I can think of several different ways either of those pairings could function without being retreads of some of the other pairs we've seen.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This thread is already a derailed piece of **** anyway, so I don't get why you have have to turn me into the scapegoat...

Yeah, I know Kawasaki has little chance. But is it wrong that I support him?
Just don't treat it like the character is unavoidable.

But still, I do like the idea of a character based on a chef.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This thread is already a derailed piece of **** anyway, so I don't get why you have have to turn me into the scapegoat...
Other people don't seem to be posting images as you did, and if they have been feel free to direct me their way.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Hello all, Just checking in because SB spammed the hell outta me with the whole e-mail thing.

As for Fire emblem.

I don't get the roy hate, he can be just as unique as chrom can. He's just as popular around here, just like chrom is, and he showcases the GBA side of FE, which in my opinion, shouldn't be ignored. I mean I like awakening and all, but i'd like to see some older FE's to get some attention as well.

That said, the tactician should be the awakening choice, because of the moveset potential. even though I dislike the idea of moar avatars being added.

And with that, i'm off.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've come to a decision, here's my newest roster (completely redone again back to the coloured squares).

Time to give some short descriptions, firstly, there are no cuts, as per usual. Though this time I've opted to leave out Roy.

King K. Rool and Ridley: Getting this out of the way, they're the two most requested newcomers and their time is long overdue.

Dixie Kong: A few series got 2-3 new characters before, and DK has always gotten the shaft, it's about time he gets some more newcomers.

Takamaru: The expected retro choice and the last one needed to have the "Famicom Four" back together.

Palutena: Even if that very convincing leak is a fake, she's still the best option for the second Kid Icarus character.

Isaac: A popular character with a shot of getting promoted, though if we get any other character, they're taking his spot here.

Krystal: A unique and popular choice that Sakurai would probably go for this time, there's nothing holding her back other than a made up "max reps" rule.

Chrom: Since people seem to hate Roy, and a Fire Emblem newcomer is so inevitable, I just went with the safest option available because I don't give a ****.

Lip: A series often referenced by Sakurai, he once feared adding her because of obscurity, but with FE gaining global popularity, Lip could use the boost.

Pac-Man: What, no Little Mac? Miis? Right, I don't believe that "leak" for a second, the Pac is here on his own merits, with a little help from Namco's involvement.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well, the Fire Emblem chat seems to have died down, so I'd like to talk about potential reveal dates. Firstly, though, I want to get the "ok" from N3ON. I'm not certain that this technically is on-topic.

Edit: Well, it can wait until after talking about this roster.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Getting one third-party character probably isn't special treatment in Sakurai's mind, even if the reason for their inclusion isn't due to demand. I bet he would say Konami didn't get any special treatment in Brawl either.

He's not going to get in because Namco Bandai is involved with development (**** the stupid Bandai Namco name change by the way), he'll get in based on his extremely few merits.
Well regardless of if he does get included or not, he almost certainly wouldn't get in if they weren't involved.

D

Deleted member

Pac-Man will get in because Miyamoto will hold Sakurai at gunpoint until he's in.

"Whatever Miyamoto wants, Miyamoto gets. Isn't that right, Sakurai-chan?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I would sacrifice Solid Snake if it meant there was room for Slime. Alas...

Speaking of Pac-Man, is anyone else perturbed by the fact that there is no memorable music for the Pac-Man series like there is with Mega Man, Metal Gear Solid and Sonic the Hedgehog? Although Pac-Man himself might make an interesting fighter and give us a neat, retro stage; I can't help but feel you really have to dig to find memorable material beyond the classic arcade game, whereas the other series have so much that a lot is, or will be, left out. That's my problem with the Pac-Man series as a whole: nothing stands out.

Last edited:

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
I think Pac-Man is extremely likely. Sakurai said that Namco does not have priority just because they are helping with the game. He never said that they wouldn't get a spot at all. Who else could Namco put in that would really make sense?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think Pac-Man is extremely likely. Sakurai said that Namco does not have priority just because they are helping with the game. He never said that they wouldn't get a spot at all. Who else could Namco put in that would really make sense?
There's a difference between people claiming that a character can get in, and will get in.

Pac-Man can get in because Namco is involved, but at the same time it doesn't mean Pac-Man will get in because of Namco.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I would sacrifice Solid Snake if it meant there was room for Slime. Alas...

Speaking of Pac-Man, is anyone else perturbed by the fact that there is no memorable music for the Pac-Man series like there is with Mega Man, Metal Gear Solid and Sonic the Hedgehog? Although Pac-Man himself might make an interesting fighter and give us a neat, retro stage; I can't help but feel you really have to dig to find memorable material beyond the classic arcade game, whereas the other series have so much that a lot is, or will be, left out. That's my problem with the Pac-Man series as a whole: nothing stands out.
well if ur thinking classic pacman, each sound, other than the opening tune, was reflected on how u traversed through the stages. so yeah there was no real music to speak of. that said that does have the makings for strong remixes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's a difference between people claiming that a character can get in, and will get in.

Pac-Man can get in because Namco is involved, but at the same time it doesn't mean Pac-Man will get in because of Namco.
I don't see how people saying Pac-Man will get in because of Namco is any worse than saying Pac-Man won't get in because of Namco. It's not like either of those statements can be proven atm.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I never said Pac-Man will get in because of Namco, that's just the major reason he might get in. And Namco not getting special treatment? That means he won't fill the game with Namco characters, not "Namco isn't getting anything at all." Have you stopped to think that, maybe, if Sakurai added Snake just because his good friend Kojima asked, then if Namco were to ask for Pac-Man, then surely Sakurai would allow it since they helped him develop the game? I don't understand this extreme bias against Pac-Man the lot of you (except a rare few anyway) seem to have, what would it hurt if he made it into the game? Nothing, nothing at all.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
or, alternatively, Sakurai could find Pac-Man to be merits inclusion regardless of the fact that Namco is co developing the game.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well, to answer that question, I would say Lloyd Irving. Anyhow, I don't think Namco will be getting a character because I don't think Namco would take priority over other companies. I think even an Ubisoft character is more likely. I don't think we're getting Rayman, either, so I think I'll settle with the two we have and Snake hopefully returning.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Well, to answer that question, I would say Lloyd Irving. Anyhow, I don't think Namco will be getting a character because I don't think Namco would take priority over other companies. I think even an Ubisoft character is more likely. I don't think we're getting Rayman, either, so I think I'll settle with the two we have and Snake hopefully returning.
who's Llyod Irving?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't understand this extreme bias against Pac-Man the lot of you (except a rare few anyway) seem to have, what would it hurt if he made it into the game? Nothing, nothing at all.
Well, pretty much because he's a very poorly handled character that is constantly thrown into many incredibly mediocre titles that leeches off the success of the first arcade game.

Just put down the old dog instead of letting it live, please. Nobody will be phased by it at all.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Yeah, I think we will probably only be getting Sonic, Mega Man, Snake, but if there is a fourth I am definitely going to vote. Pac-Man, because he just makes the most sense to me.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
well if ur thinking classic pacman, each sound, other than the opening tune, was reflected on how u traversed through the stages. so yeah there was no real music to speak of. that said that does have the makings for strong remixes.
When you compare Pac-Man to the other third party series that have appeared in Super Smash Bros, there just doesn't seem to be as much substance as the other series; which is ironic considering the cultural impact of brand itself.

Last edited:

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
Is Lloyd Irving even likely? I'm not saying he isn't; its just wasn't his last game on the gamecube or something? I don't really know anything about him.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, pretty much because he's a very poorly handled character that is constantly thrown into many incredibly mediocre titles that leeches off the success of the first arcade game.

Just put down the old dog instead of letting it live, please. Nobody will be phased by it at all.
That sounds pretty damn similar to a certain blue hedgehog.

I don't see how that should affect him in the first place, this is Sakurai we're talking about, if he does Pac-Man, he'll do him right. Hell, if Mega Man is anything to go by, Pac-Man would probably look more like his old designs too, and he'd take more inspiration from his older games. Gotta keep an open mind about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom