• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Anyway, let's talk about retros.
Nothing has changed, I still consider Takamaru most likely, but now I'm thinking that getting TWO retros isn't too far fetched.
Takamaru. Though, considering how unknown he is...

Do you think he will be grouped with Little Mac and Ice Climbers, or Mr. Game & Watch?

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I still think Duck Hunt Dog would be an amazing character to add.

I'm okay with Takamaru, but most people won't know who the heck he is. It's a lot more fun when you actually recognize an old school character. Even the Ice Climbers weren't that obscure.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Kenith Kenith
I don't even consider Little Mac a retro at all. Punch Out Wii makes him an important Nintendo character again.
Takamaru's got that Nintendo Land game, so he's not TOO unknown.
And I suppose Japan knows him pretty well.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think Takamaru's THAT obscure. And even if he was, WFT happened.
Yeah, but I can guarantee you most people know what Wii Fit is.
Nazo no Murasame Jo is a lot more obscure of a game, considering most Americans can't even pronounce it.
Wii Fit Trainer represents the game Wii Fit more than being a well known character.

Gune

Smash Lord
Anyway, let's talk about retros.
Nothing has changed, I still consider Takamaru most likely, but now I'm thinking that getting TWO retros isn't too far fetched.
It may be a bit farfected, we still have to remeber sakurai did say the roster was limited and it doesent help some newcomers that his main priority at the moment is getting as much of brawls roster back as he can so we might not get alot of retros since there is still the priority of fan favorites.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Why do they lock these threads? All we do is rearrange the name and discuss the same thing. It happens literally every time "this thread" is locked. Mod better, infract, but why lock? So... lazy.

Or, stop giving a ****.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ Kenith Kenith
I don't even consider Little Mac a retro at all. Punch Out Wii makes him an important Nintendo character again.
Takamaru's got that Nintendo Land game, so he's not TOO unknown.
And I suppose Japan knows him pretty well.
Okay, so he would appear next to the likes of R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Kenith Kenith
Now I know what you mean. :laugh:
Yeah, I'd put him close to Mac because West vs East and all that jazz.
Also close to IC, and in the same row as Pit and Palutena.
So a retro row + Mac.

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Those are all less "obscure" than WFT.
Wii Fit Trainer isn't obscure, just incredibly out there. There's a difference. To give an extreme comparison, it'd be like if they added the mushroom from Mario as a character. The mushroom isn't obscure, it's just the idea of it being a character is so ridiculous that nobody considered it.

D

Deleted member

Okay, so he would appear next to the likes of R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch?
R.O.B. yes, Game & Watch probably not.

Look at Brawl's CSS:

Pit, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. are all together because of being Famicom stars. (And Samus is with them because of that as well, even though she's not "retro".)
Mr. Game & Watch is not with them because he is before that time.

So, if a similar thing were to happen, Takamaru would be close to the Ice Climbers and R.O.B. more than he would with Mr. Game & Watch, who is unpredictable.
I would also imagine that like Samus and Pit are near each other here, that Takamaru would also be close to the Zelda characters for his game being a "sister game" (built on the same engine) to the original Zelda like Kid Icarus was to Metroid.

Wii Fit Trainer isn't obscure, just incredibly out there. There's a difference. To give an extreme comparison, it'd be like if they added the mushroom from Mario as a character. The mushroom isn't obscure, it's just the idea of it being a character is so ridiculous that nobody considered it.
........am I being trolled here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
R.O.B. yes, Game & Watch probably not.

Look at Brawl's CSS:
Good, I thought no one knew what I meant.

Well, the way I have it set up, Little Mac and Pit are together (how sexy~ ) because they are both NES characters that got revived or reinvented.

So, R.O.B. doesn't fit into this category so him, G&W, and Takamaru are shown as a group.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Little Mac and Pit are together (how sexy~ )
I shudder at the thought.
I'm sure it exists somewhere, but I hope I'm wrong.
And to stay on topic, I think Game and Watch may be with ROB this time, and the reason he wasn't last time was due to roster space.
At least that's how I feel on the subject.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One thing I'd like to bring up.

I see a lot of people saying that Metroid hunters such as Rundas, Sylux, etc would be better characters than Ridley, Dark Samus or even Anthony.

What do you guys think?

UltimateWario

Smash Master

I see a lot of people saying that Metroid hunters such as Rundas, Sylux, etc would be better characters than Ridley, Dark Samus or even Anthony.

What do you guys think?
Anthony is the the only case I would consider on the same level or "beneath" the other Hunters, as he's just as one-offy and unimportant as they are/were.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

What do you guys think?
That certainly would not be better than Ridley or Dark Samus, but definitely better than anything from Other M.

I haven't played either, I just know that they all look super-freaking cool.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

What do you guys think?
I think that the people who say that are stupid, but Sylux has got the best chance of the hunters.
In terms of Metroid characters Ridley comes next and then Dark Samus.
I would argue Sylux over Anthony though.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Why are people denying the fact that Wii Fit Trainer is obscure?
She was an unexpected choice, which qualifies as "obscure" to me.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
But that's not what obscure means. She was unexpected, yeah, but she was the "main character" of a hugely successful franchise. We just never considered her because, hell, I would imagine that most of us haven't played Wii Fit.

Personally, I'd rather go outside and get some exercise than do dumb **** in front of my TV.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Ugh, bronchitis is terrible.

So, Metroid? Ridley, and Dark Samus at a lesser extent. That's all. People arguing for anyone else is delusional.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd categorize Wii Fit Trainer as obscure, not because she was a shock character, but because it's only in retrospect that people are claiming she was of any worth within the Wii Fit franchise. Ask a Smash fan about her on June 10, she's a personality-less background character. Ask a Smash fan about her on June 11, she's an earth-shakingly obvious ubiquitous all-encompassing main shining starring star (who's still personality-less).

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'd categorize Wii Fit Trainer as obscure, not because she was a shock character, but because it's only in retrospect that people are claiming she was of any worth within the Wii Fit franchise. Ask a Smash fan about her on June 10, she's a personality-less background character. Ask a Smash fan about her on June 11, she's an earth-shakingly obvious ubiquitous all-encompassig main shining starring star (who's still personality-less).
B?! You're a mod now?!

Anyway, she's got dat booty body. I can guarantee you she wouldn't have been so quickly accepted had it been the Male Fit Trainer revealed first.

Hey, neither was Roy amirite? :troll:
D'OHOHO

Louie, u so bad.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
But that's not what obscure means. She was unexpected, yeah, but she was the "main character" of a hugely successful franchise. We just never considered her because, hell, I would imagine that most of us haven't played Wii Fit.

Personally, I'd rather go outside and get some exercise than do dumb **** in front of my TV.
I own Wii fit, you play as your Mii not as the Wii Fit Trainer, she only gives you instructions.
That's pretty much why I never got that idea, the Miis are the main character.
I never even see the female Wii Fit Trainer since I always chose the male one.

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I'd categorize Wii Fit Trainer as obscure, not because she was a shock character, but because it's only in retrospect that people are claiming she was of any worth within the Wii Fit franchise. Ask a Smash fan about her on June 10, she's a personality-less background character. Ask a Smash fan about her on June 11, she's an earth-shakingly obvious ubiquitous all-encompassing main shining starring star (who's still personality-less).
You're not completely wrong. You could say the same about Mr. Game and Watch as well. He wasn't even a character until Smash.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
She is not obscure, She is part of the "Wii series" specifically of the Wii Fit sub-series both were profitable and a success for Nintendo, thats is no way obscure, is just a weird choice, Wii Fit trainer is aimed to a different audience than the other Nintendo classical games, including SSB, main reason of why she was unexpected.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The only thing that makes me really skeptical is that she was revealed at the start of E3, which does make me think she's not the "historical" WTF like G&W. Which makes me think there are more surprises to come.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I own Wii fit, you play as your Mii not as the Wii Fit Trainer, she only gives you instructions.
That's pretty much why I never got that idea, the Miis are the main character.
I never even see the female Wii Fit Trainer since I always chose the male one.
One of the things that i mentioned in other thread, Robin thread, the tactician of Fire Emblem, is that he/she could be not considered in SSB4 for being a customizable character and i pointed that Wii Fit Trainer was selected above the Mii, although that neither Miis or Robing are not unconfirmed yet, but at the end i may have reason about customizable characters. Although that for example Villager is a customizable character...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

What do you guys think?
I disagree with that sentiment completely. I like some of them like Rundas but when you get down to it they don't stand out at all. All of them are currently one-shot characters with very little importance to the series and even the game they debuted in (though MP3 was a bit better). They don't stand at the same ground of either Ridley or Dark Samus, both of which have much more going for them as characters then the hunters.

@ BKupa666 BKupa666 Congrats on becoming a mod!

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
One of the things that i mentioned in other thread, Robin thread, the tactician of Fire Emblem, is that he/she could be not considered in SSB4 for being a customizable character and i pointed that Wii Fit Trainer was selected above the Mii, although that neither Miis or Robing are not unconfirmed yet, but at the end i may have reason about customizable characters. Although that for example Villager is a customizable character...
Why do they have to be customizable in Smash? They can just use their default.

Also, nobody knows if Wii Fit Trainer was selected above the Mii yet. Or if you mean she was selected first, then Sakurai probably just wants to purposely keep us thinking.

And also, congrats on being a mod BKupa!

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I was just pointing at the fact that the Wii Fit Trainer is not the main character of the Wii Fit series.
I couldn't care less about the Miis, I'm even against their inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom