• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm noticing a lot of dislike of Roy.

Not thinking he's unlikely, mind you.

Just hating the character...

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I hold no hatred in my heart for Roy.

Just seems odd that people lump him in with Mewtwo as "the two Melee veterans that should've made it into Brawl" when he was much more similar to Dr. Mario or Young Link (a "quick' clone) than he was to Mewtwo (a completely unique character with his own playstyle).

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm noticing a lot of dislike of Roy.

Not thinking he's unlikely, mind you.

Just hating the character...
Uh, yeah, sorry about that.
It's really Smashboards in general that has turned me off about Roy.
Claiming how unique and important he is even though he isn't really either of those.
And then putting down other FE characters for stupid reasons.
That's why I dislike Roy, I don't have anything against him in Melee, just bringing him back.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Why do they have to be customizable in Smash? They can just use their default.

Also, nobody knows if Wii Fit Trainer was selected above the Mii yet. Or if you mean she was selected first, then Sakurai probably just wants to purposely keep us thinking.

And also, congrats on being a mod BKupa!
That was not my point about Customizable characters, you didnt readed my post in Robin thread and for that reason you dont understand, Let me explain it, this is debatable but I dont consider Robin a good character to represent neither Fire Emblem or Awakening for being a Customizable character based in independ and individual experiences of Players and for that reason i think that Chrom represents Awakening better. Villager of animal crossing is a customizable character, yet it is also the only playable character.

And while in Wii Fit you play with Miis, Wii Fit Trainer was confirmed and the state of Miis is in the air.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I don't actually hate him, I just think he's had his moment and there's much better Fire Emblem characters to choose from at this point.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People are pretty fickle. If Roy had a better shot or never was cut in the first place, there'd be a whole lot less hate (not that there's tons compared to how much hate some other characters get).

D

Deleted member

Would be nice if you actually explained why she's more obscure than the characters I mentioned. If anything you're the one coming across as a "troll" here.
I'm presented with insane logic, and I'm the troll.

I'm told that Wii Fit Trainer was "out there" (in other words, unusual), while not obscure (unknown).
And yet, Wii Fit Trainer was hardly ever discussed prior to the reveal, and many people (including myself) didn't even know she existed. Hell, I was constructing Speculation Charts, and even with all of the obscure and downright crazy characters I researched and got suggestions for, not once did WFT ever get brought up.

And I'm told that in comparison, the likes of Ness, Lucas, Marth, and Ike are obscure? The only one of those that can be considered obscure was Marth, and that was because the Fire Emblem franchise was relatively unknown outside Japan at the time. Within Japan, however, Marth was a big request for Melee. Pretty Wii Fit Trainer, who was hardly ever discussed for Smash in any region, is more obscure than someone who is a popular request in at least one.

"Out there" is characters like Dr. Kawashima and the Duck Hunt Dog. Wii Fit Trainer was obscure.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Or love for that matter.
Well if Roy had never been included in the first place, sure, his fanbase would be substantially smaller, but no, his popularity would be very strong had he never been cut. He was one of the most popular characters in Melee and remains a popular character despite his exclusion in Brawl, especially in Japan. Being playable a second time only would've bolstered that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Roy's chances are pretty overrated. People put way too much importance on his Smash relevance and popularity. Just because a character has popularity doesn't make them a shoe in.

Not that I hate Roy, but that's the case with this site. His situation is not similar to Mewtwo. Mewtwo is in the spotlight for Pokemon, while Roy isn't in the spotlight for Fire Emblem. His time has passed.

I just think when people act like he's super important and unique (which he really isn't considering fire is present everywhere in Smash), it's a mild case of delusion. But hey, people can support who you want. They just need to be realistic about it.

D

Deleted member

At this point, I'm going to have to agree with Scoliosis.

I'm convinced now that the only cut character that will return is Mewtwo.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Best case scenario we get everyone back somehow.
I came across a SMART post on GameFAQS (funny huh?) which said that Mewtwo should come back as a character, Roy as an assist, Dr. Mario as an alt, and Pichu as a Pokeball, considering that Young Link = Toon Link anyway.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
At this point, I'm going to have to agree with Scoliosis.

I'm convinced now that the only cut character that will return is Mewtwo.
Can I just say thank you for actually typing "Scoliosis" correctly? I swear 99% of the time I see people type my name it's "Scolosis". What am I, some Pokemon with a mildly bent spine? Give me more credit than that!

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
hey guys

what if sakurai decided to bring back pichu and not mewtwo

D

Deleted member

Can I just say thank you for actually typing "Scoliosis" correctly? I swear 99% of the time I see people type my name it's "Scolosis". What am I, some Pokemon with a mildly bent spine? Give me more credit than that!
Maybe if you were Poliosis, people would spell your name right. :troll:

Gune

Smash Lord
hey guys

Remeber lucarios reveal? multiply that by 100.
to be honest i almsot called you solosis the first time I came here.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
hey guys

Lots and lots of blood would be spilt. Mewtwo has a lot of fans, so if Pichu showed up in stead...well, let's just say I wouldn't want to be Sakurai at the moment.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Why do they lock these threads? All we do is rearrange the name and discuss the same thing. It happens literally every time "this thread" is locked. Mod better, infract, but why lock? So... lazy.

Or, stop giving a ****.
I was infracted for censor dodging this post. Modding is top notch

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Mega Bidoof's SSB4 Prediction Roster!

2/8/14

52 Slots. 57 Characters (not counting same-time fighters like Ice Climbers and Chrom & Lucina)

Explanations:

- Large Roster Size: We don't know what Sakurai is thinking size-wise, so there is no basis on what is too small or too large.
- Diddy & Dixie tag-team: Sakurai allegedly wanted to implement this idea in Brawl but couldn't de to time constraints. Why wouldn't he do it now.

MORE EXPLANATION COMING SOON!
Broken image.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I just keep it simple and say S. Jones.

I don't care one way or the other about Roy, but I find it disingenuous to treat his cut from Brawl as this massive shock that blindsided the entire community. On the contrary, there were few fans pre-Brawl who didn't think Roy was getting taken out for being a clone.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Uh, yeah, sorry about that.
It's really Smashboards in general that has turned me off about Roy.
Claiming how unique and important he is even though he isn't really either of those.
And then putting down other FE characters for stupid reasons.
That's why I dislike Roy, I don't have anything against him in Melee, just bringing him back.
That being the case, I'm curious. Who IS your ideal Fire Emblem newcomer?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That being the case, I'm curious. Who IS your ideal Fire Emblem newcomer?
Ideally, I'd like to see a mage. Ghanref would probably be the best choice, as he'd be both a recurring villain and a Dark Mage. I also kinda think it would be really cool if Lewyn were to be playable(though part of this is just so I can see him bust out Forseti as a Final Smash).

As for non-Mages, if Leaf were to show up as a Master Knight, that would be all kinds of awesome. Anna would be neat as well, and I could see her conceivably being able to use most of the different types of weapons from FE. As far as other semi-recurring characters, I think I'd take Camus over the Pegasus sisters or Tiki, thought Tiki could still be interesting.

Realistically though, none of those characters are very likely. I'd take Roy over Chrom, though that's my opinion and I'm not going to pretend like Roy is somehow objectively superior to Chrom. As far as Awakening characters go, as much as I hate him/her as a character/mechanic, Robin would probably be my go-to choice. And I'd be perfectly fine if Lyn were to get in.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You guys have no idea how much I have come to respect people who actually admit that their favorite characters may not have great chances. I appreciate stuff like that.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I'm strongly against Chrom as the Fire Emblem newcomer, personally. I shouldn't judge him just because he wields a sword, but I just don't think enough can be done with him to make him the unique character we want him to be. If Sakurai managed to pull it off, I'd be thrilled, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom