• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ Kenith Kenith
Huh, that's the same layout I always use.
Nice too see I'm starting a trend. :awesome:
Next thing you know, MorbidAltruism makes a roster with all the characters in a long line to counter-act our trend.

So I have a question for you all, which newcomers do you think are essential for a roster?
Mewtwo. But you guys already knew that...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The butthurt is flowing through this thread. Sheesh

Let's chill bros. At least the thread isn't in a constant flame war.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
For some reason I would be completely okay with Pacman if he's the PMP design. What is it with the Ghostly Adventures design that fills me with fear and hate?
It's something with the actual design, even though they seem identical.
It does have quite a few differences apart from just the teeth. (I'm not going to bother listing them all, though). But I think the main thing is that he looks more like a plastic toy than a living character.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I haven't played the game, and I've only seen one episode of the show.
It's something with the actual design, even though they seem identical.
The teeth.

That's the most notable problem.

It's not so much the added sclera or the more detailed sneakers and gloves, but rather the teeth.

Unless you're one of those people that can't tolerate change to begin with, then in that case everything will be bad about it.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It does have quite a few differences apart from just the teeth. (I'm not going to bother listing them all, though). But I think the main thing is that he looks more like a plastic toy than a living character.

- Eyes are deep set and farther apart
- Mouth is huge and curved on the ends
- Tongue is larger and more pronounced
- Pinocchio nose
- Fingers
- Eyebrows are thicker and more prominent
- Eyes are a more noticeable shade of blue.

Those are all the differences, and in my opinion, they're all negative.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
So I have a question for you all, which newcomers do you think are essential for a roster?
I read the responses to your quote, it is quite laughable that most are laboring under the delusion that we have all of the essential characters. I suppose it is a very subjective notion. However, I would assert that we are missing a few blatantly necessary characters.

1. Meowth: The main antagonist of Pokemon. Obviously one of the most prominent franchises should include the spiritual rival of Pikachu (inverted Pokedex numbers alluding to the premise of cat and mouse) along with his iconic role as the most important villain in the popular anime series, the same anime series that has given Mewtwo global recognition.

2. Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh: As if the overt Smash relevance didn't make them seemingly necessary, F-Zero is the face of Smash when associated with Captain Falcon, one of the most popular characters. So much, that only the main antagonist of Legend of Zelda could possibly satisfy a role essential to Smash. One might argue that the series is not relevant to Nintendo, however, this is obviously fallacious, the series is relevant to Smash. In a Smash related context, nothing is more important.

3. Tom Nook: I don't know a lot about Animal Crossing, I do know that he is the face of the series though, so by default, he is essential. I don't care if Villager is "proper representation" that wasn't your question. You didn't ask who the most likely newcomers were, you asked which newcomers were essential. Animal Crossing isn't accurately portrayed without the most prominent character, does it have to be? Not necessarily. But is it? No.

4. Hades: He is one of the only Nintendo characters that represents more than his character in Kid Icarus, more than the franchise Kid Icarus, and MUCH more than a Nintendo character, MUCH more than Nintendo the company. He is the effigy of evil, global recognition doesn't even begin to satisfy what he represents. He is more important, iconic, and prevalent than even Mario himself. He is what Kid Icarus needs to be a main franchise on the roster, just Palutena won't cut it. That would just acknowledge Kid Icarus Uprising, we need something to make the series eternal. Something to make that IP valuable, something to make it akin to Mario and Zelda. Hades could be that character.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Unless you're one of those people that can't tolerate change to begin with, then in that case everything will be bad about it.
I really dig the Pac-Man Party look, though, but that freaking Ghostly Adventures one is deeply unsettling. It's ugly.
And since I know they're going to use it, I don't want to have Pacman.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Meowth is the main antagonist of Pokemon?

Tom Nook is the face of Animal Crossing?

Hades being more important, iconic, and prevalent then Mario?

When did I step into Youtube?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah Hades does have potential to be a great marketable KI icon, the amount of personality has shines above all other villains.
I don't think Tom Nook is the face of the AC series, but I do think he was more advocated than the Villager.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
- Eyes are deep set and farther apart
- Mouth is huge and curved on the ends
- Tongue is larger and more pronounced
- Pinocchio nose
- Fingers
- Eyebrows are thicker and more prominent
- Eyes are a more noticeable shade of blue.

Those are all the differences, and in my opinion, they're all negative.
Yeah, I completely agree.

The eyebrows are especially bad, because they're essentially cat ears now. As in they don't move. He now makes expressions with his eyelids instead, which looks much worse. Just compare these two:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Yes, Meowth is the main antagonist of Pokemon. I am not necessarily sure if you have been living under a rock. Specifically the anime, which is what characters like Mewtwo and Pikachu are based on. Giovanni is probably the main antagonist of the game, but he isn't as recognizable.

I am not entirely sure, that was my assumption. Not only is he one of the most discussed characters, but he was the only character that I was entirely aware of, obviously he is more prevalent and prominent than every other character that the series has to offer. I didn't even know Villager existed until Smash 4.

Um... yes. Greek Mythology.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom

When did I step into Youtube?
We decided to change this place into YouTubeBoards. Expect everyone expecting Goku and Shadow in about 2 seconds.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Everyone says no one, but a roster doesn't look right to me if it is missing the following:
- Mewtwo
- Little Mac
- Palutena
- DK newcomer
- FE newcomer
Stop making me agree with you! :p

Whatever, I apologize about Tom Nook swap him out for Ridley or K. Rool.
Are you making a satirical statement...?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yes, Meowth is the main antagonist of Pokemon. I am not necessarily sure if you have been living under a rock. Specifically the anime, which is what characters like Mewtwo and Pikachu are based on. Giovanni is probably the main antagonist of the game, but he isn't as recognizable.
Meowth is the main antagonist of jack squat. Meowth was never the big bad of any form of media. EVER. Especially not the video games.

I am not entirely sure, that was my assumption. Not only is he one of the most discussed characters, but he was the only character that I was entirely aware of, obviously he is more prevalent and prominent than every other character that the series has to offer. I didn't even know Villager existed until Smash 4.
How the hell did you not know about Villager, the BLOODY CHARACTER YOU PLAY AS?

Also, Animal Crossing doesn't have any mascot. The closest thing to a mascot would actually be K. K. Slider, but even then that's astretch.

Um... yes. Greek Mythology.
We're talking Hades here, not the character from Greek Mythology.

Also, going by logic, Palutena would be just as effective considering the character is based on Athena.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yea...none of those characters are essential. Especially not Hades.

I would say that to meet fan demand, that a DK newcomer is closest to essential. Not that the game would be bad without one.

Imo, Villager is the face of Animal Crossing. Palutena will get in before Hades (especially assuming that leak was real)

I would classify Meowth as a rival. Not a main antagonist.

Morbi

Scavenger
Stop making me agree with you! :p

Are you making a satirical statement...?
Not necessarily. I would assert that the main antagonist of Nintendo's most prominent franchise (that don't have Mario or Zelda in their names) are somewhat necessary. I fallaciously believed that Tom Nook was the face of the series utilizing empirical data, obviously something I am not an advocate of. Other than that, if one denies the prominence of Meowth, only mental decadence can be at work.

Hades is more of an opinion. I am alluding to more technical aspects of marketing and suggesting a transition in Nintendo's company. One where they don't throw new IP in the ocean to fend for themselves (Wonder Red, anyone?). One where they don't rely on 2 or 3 franchises. I personally believe that if they introduce a well-regarded character into an already popular series utilizing iconic symbolism that they can actually make the series more. They should represent the franchise to a greater extent than Kid Icarus Uprising, Palutena would only allude to the success of one game. Hades IS more iconic than Mario despite Xenoblaze's unfounded dismissal. It is difficult to fathom that your favorite video-game character isn't as iconic as something akin to religion, one that many are fascinated with, one that has been around for hundreds of years... nope. Mario is more important apparently.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Opinions guys. Respect 'em.

Everyone has a different view of what characters are essential. I believe a new Pikmin character is essential, but I'm willing to bet 90% of the Smash fanbase disagrees.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not necessarily. I would assert that the main antagonist of Nintendo's most prominent franchise (that don't have Mario or Zelda in their names) are somewhat necessary. I fallaciously believed that Tom Nook was the face of the series utilizing empirical data, obviously something I am not an advocate of. Other than that, if one denies the prominence of Meowth, only mental decadence can be at work.
Hades is more of an opinion. I am alluding to more technical aspects of marketing and suggesting a transition in Nintendo's company. One where they don't throw new IP in the ocean to fend for themselves (Wonder Red, anyone?). One where they don't rely on 2 or 3 franchises. I personally believe that if they introduce a well-regarded character into an already popular series utilizing iconic symbolism that they can actually make the series more. They should represent the franchise to a greater extent than Kid Icarus Uprising, Palutena would only allude to the success of one game. Hades IS more iconic than Mario despite Xenoblaze's unfounded dismissal. It is difficult to fathom that your favorite video-game character isn't as iconic as something akin to religion, one that many are fascinated with, one that has been around for hundreds of years... nope. Mario is more important apparently.
There you go, you found an application of decadence. :p

What does a character named Hades very, very loosely based off of a mythological character in one video-game have to do with the mythological character? Hades is a legendary figure, but he isn't a mascot. he doesn't have a set personality or appearance. The Hades in Uprising shares only a name. Advocating the character from Uprising won't do the series any good.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

I don't get what you mean. Palutena has been in all 3 Kid Icarus games. Hades only shows up in Uprising.

Hades being an actual Greek God is just a flat out stupid reason. As Xenoblaze mentioned, Palutena was modeled after Athena. Not that either matters. Sakurai isn't simply going to choose Hades because people know the name from History class. Thats just asinine.

Meowth may be "villainous", but Mewtwo is far more fitting for the villain role. If he wasn't, why wasn't Meowth added instead? Meowth has had monumentous amounts of time to get in. He's been there the whole time. He is certainly not "essential".

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hades from KI and Hades from Greek Mythology are not entwined, the former draws from the latter in terms of basis but just like the aforementioned Palutena and Athena the relationship ends there. Hades in KI is not more well known or recognized just because his name's the same as a god, that's not going to carry him farther then any of the other KI characters and especially not Mario.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yea...none of those characters are essential. Especially not Hades.

I would say that to meet fan demand, that a DK newcomer is closest to essential. Not that the game would be bad without one.

Imo, Villager is the face of Animal Crossing. Palutena will get in before Hades (especially assuming that leak was real)

I would classify Meowth as a rival. Not a main antagonist.
I didn't assert that Palutena wouldn't get in before Hades. I don't expect Hades. I am just stating my opinion, again, this is entirely subjective.

Secondly, I don't mean to be crass, but I don't really care how you interpret Meowth. Meowth is an antagonist by definition, as he is the main character in regards to an antagonistic archetype, he is the main antagonist by definition. This is only in regards to the anime, this notion isn't applicable to the video-game franchise, to be more concise.

Meowth is the main antagonist of jack squat. Meowth was never the big bad of any form of media. EVER. Especially not the video games.

How the hell did you not know about Villager, the BLOODY CHARACTER YOU PLAY AS?

Also, Animal Crossing doesn't have any mascot. The closest thing to a mascot would actually be K. K. Slider, but even then that's astretch.

We're talking Hades here, not the character from Greek Mythology.

Also, going by logic, Palutena would be just as effective considering the character is based on Athena.
Again, by definition. He appears in almost every single episode of the anime. So he is the main antagonist of the anime, not the video-game. I never insinuated anything to that extent.

I have not played Animal Crossing. Tom Nook was always the character that was being discussed, Tom Nook is the only character that I was aware of. Again, it was a mistake, I am not entirely sure why you felt the compulsion to respond to this very notion yet again.

I am talking about Hades from Greek Mythology. I alluded to it in my post and I made it VERY CLEAR AND APPARENT. So if you didn't catch that, I question your reading competency. I am entirely aware that Hades from Kid Icarus isn't much unless you attach the symbolism to his character. Again, a non-Nintendo fan playing Smash 4, without any experience regarding Nintendo will recognize characters like Mario, Link, Pikachu... and Hades. That is why he is essential from my subjective perspective. If you don't agree, that is completely and utterly fine. There is no reason to berate me because I don't agree with you. I explained my reasoning with logic, so don't pretend as though this is some YouTube comment. Maybe it is a YouTube-esque sentiment, but I don't necessarily appreciate the implications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom