• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What's you folks' angle on secondary 3rd Party characters? NOT, second characters from Sonic/MGS/Megaman, but other characters from the same company. (Example: NiGHTS, Simon Belmont, Ryu) I'm nowhere near as opposed to this as I am to second characters from the pre-existing franchises, but I'm still on the fence for it being used on some basis (for example, DLC, or maybe instead of a Metal Gear Assist Trophy, we get a Simon Belmont Assist).
Amaterasu please.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, if Kojima was just sworn to silence, he could have said "no comment" or "I don't know" rather than "I don't think so". That's the thing. I wouldn't blink at it if he said something like that.
I agree with your suspicions, as it would have been easier to just have no comment. However, Kojima likes to have fun and raise hype for his own stuff. So the interview can be taken either way.

My heart honestly has sunk a wee bit because I don't want to set myself up for disappointment if the outcome is that Snake is gone. I'm just reserving hope because I have learned to love Snake because of Smash. Smash started it all for me.

Also, off topic, but I freaking can't stop listening to this music. I would love this in Smash 3DS:

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I don't see any reason why Snake couldn't just infiltrate his way into SSB4, in the event he isn't invited.

What's you folks' angle on secondary 3rd Party characters? NOT, second characters from Sonic/MGS/Megaman, but other characters from the same company. (Example: NiGHTS, Simon Belmont, Ryu) I'm nowhere near as opposed to this as I am to second characters from the pre-existing franchises, but I'm still on the fence for it being used on some basis (for example, DLC, or maybe instead of a Metal Gear Assist Trophy, we get a Simon Belmont Assist).
I get the sense that this hypothetical second same-company character would have to be pretty special indeed to make the cut. Sakurai's metric for including Third-Parties to begin with is allegedly based on that character's legendary/iconic status in video game history.

To get a second Sega or Capcom (or Konami) character, therefore, said character would have to rival Sonic, Mega Man, and other gaming titans. Sonic is the mascot of Sega, and Mega Man is the ostensible one for Capcom; not sure if any other Sega or Capcom characters have the comparative pedigree required for Sakurai's serious consideration.

It's pretty clear that we won't get more than one Third-Party per company for SSB4, though. Maybe future Smash iterations will see evolution in this department. I certainly wouldn't mind.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It's pretty clear that we won't get more than one Third-Party per company for SSB4, though. Maybe future Smash iterations will see evolution in this department. I certainly wouldn't mind.
Oh, yeah, I'm by no means expecting such a situation. I'm just curious on everyone's thoughts on it.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't see any reason why Snake couldn't just infiltrate his way into SSB4, in the event he isn't invited.

I get the sense that this hypothetical second same-company character would have to be pretty special indeed to make the cut. Sakurai's metric for including Third-Parties to begin with is allegedly based on that character's legendary/iconic status in video game history.

To get a second Sega or Capcom (or Konami) character, therefore, said character would have to rival Sonic, Mega Man, and other gaming titans. Sonic is the mascot of Sega, and Mega Man is the ostensible one for Capcom; not sure if any other Sega or Capcom characters have the comparative pedigree required for Sakurai's serious consideration.

Well, doesn't Capcom has Ryu? If it wasn't for the "no fighting characters" thing, I definitely think he could be considered legendary enough.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Time makes all things possible. Even if we don't get anymore Sonic characters this title, I can wait.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
not sure if any other Capcom characters have the comparative pedigree required for Sakurai's serious consideration.

one can dream

also YES! finally I can use an Objection picture without it breaking the rules!!! yay

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
No
Smash 5: Sonic and Tails

Smash 6: Sonic, Tails, and Shadow

Smash 8: Sonic, Tails, Shadow, Amy, and Knuckles
I'd bet more on Sonic and Tails in 6 and Sonic, Tails, and Eggman in Smash 7 or 8. Then, if we're really, really lucky, Knuckles might get added in in 9/10. If Amy or Shadow ever get in, it would be in Smash, like, 12. Expecting both by Smash 8 is ridiculous. And this is assuming the Smash Bros. series ever gets into double digits.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You guys do know that at the present rate, Smash 8 probably wouldn't technically be out for many MANY years? Like... 24? I would be 45...

I would still get it :awesome:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I see Eggman getting in before Tails. Eggman's the ****.

Plus then his Final Smash could involve Metal Sonic.

Also, thinking Shadow has a chance? This isn't 2006. Sonic Team isn't insistent on shooting itself in the foot as much anymore.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Want to know what else this is assuming? That we're still going to be getting a lot of newcomers. Do you guys realize how difficult it is to balance a roster of 50+ characters? It's insane. I wouldn't count on us getting many newcomers after this smash besides the likes of Toad (iconic character not yet added) and the star of Miyamoto's new IP (new, probably popular character from a new, high-profile series).

Other than that, I wouldn't be expecting much at all.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Sonic, Zavok, Zazz, Zomom, Master Zik, Zeena, and Zor.

/thread
"Do you hate how one-dimensional the Sonic cast is? Then HERE are a bunch of tired tropes and stereotypes that don't even have the benefit of nostalgic appeal!"

Zeena was a woman obsessed with her looks, for Christ's sake. How much more trite can you get?! I mean, besides a fat, stupid dude that loves to eat or a big "intimidating" leader who calls everyone pathetic right before he gets his stupid ass kicked to the moon and back.

Don't even get me started on the Nega Wisp Armor reskin...that game held all of my Sonic-related hopes and dreams, then promptly took a heaping, steamy **** on them.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
You guys do know that at the present rate, Smash 8 probably wouldn't technically be out for many MANY years? Like... 24? I would be 45...

I would still get it :awesome:
I'd be like 40.

I'd probably be playing the game with my teenage kids....

.....I'm way too young to be thinking about this, this is weird...

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Not to burst any bubbles, but I doubt that there will be an eight smash,
I'm alright with that.

The fact that we're already scraping the bottom of the barrel for newcomers (disregarding the Elite Four, who, besides Palutena, are all long overdue) already leaves me with doubts about Smash 5. I'd be okay going out on 4 as long as we get Ridley and K. Rool. A big, sexy HD game as the series' last hurrah, with all the fan favorites and perfect balancing and loads of fun extra content.

A man can dream, I suppose.

Last edited:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Want to know what else this is assuming? That we're still going to be getting a lot of newcomers. Do you guys realize how difficult it is to balance a roster of 50+ characters? It's insane. I wouldn't count on us getting many newcomers after this smash besides the likes of Toad (iconic character not yet added) and the star of Miyamoto's new IP (new, probably popular character from a new, high-profile series).

Other than that, I wouldn't be expecting much at all.
I'm pretty sure Smash would be complete other than just new series characters.

And DLC please. So I can main Pichu again. (Hope he is in Project M too. That would be a dream come true.)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Maybe smash bros 5 will be a reboot in like 15 years once a LOT of new IPs come around.
And, as per reboot tradition, it will simply be called "Super Smash Bros." and it'll be super gritty and realistic.

...we need a super realistic, gritty character in Smash. I'm talking like, Generic CoD Soldier-tier grit. Even Snake would back up and be like "Holy ****, this dude's gritty as ****!" at this guy. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just make Smash 4 the definitive version, supplement it will DLC, and call it a day. That would satisfy me at least.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
And, as per reboot tradition, it will simply be called "Super Smash Bros." and it'll be super gritty and realistic.

...we need a super realistic, gritty character in Smash. I'm talking like, Generic CoD Soldier-tier grit. Even Snake would back up and be like "Holy ****, this dude's gritty as ****!" at this guy. Any suggestions?
Waluigi.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice

Travis Touchdown?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

<.<
>.>
Dunsparce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom