• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
Also, Snake is out, can we just accept this. We would have gotten a different answer if he was playable.
Um, no? It's not like Kojima can just say "oh, yeah, Snake is gonna be in the next Smash Bros!" at the interview. In fact, what he did say at the interview pretty much boils down to "I sure hope Snake is in the next Smash Bros!"

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Um, no? It's not like Kojima can just say "oh, yeah, Snake is gonna be in the next Smash Bros!" at the interview. In fact, what he did say at the interview pretty much boils down to "I sure hope Snake is in the next Smash Bros!"
I'm not working on that game, but I don't think it's likely [that Snake will return]. If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, hopefully we see Snake.
The creator of Snake, saying it's unlikely, and then giving a quick (And much too late) shout out to Sakurai.. nope. He out.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You do know that the game was indeed delayed to add Sonic in right? Like, he really was a last minute character added in due to popularity. Not only did the devs have to make an entirely new moveset for an unplanned character, they had to add a stage, some music, and a bunch of trophies for Sonic's arrival. It eats up a decent amount of time. Because Sonic was added in so late, content needed to be cut to make room for him.
This is mere speculation and that's all it ever will be until I see concrete evidence that Sonic was the sole reason for the delay. I was under the impression that most of the Japanese delays were due to the online development troubles that they were having, and read as much. I'm not saying your speculation is without logic, as it would not surprise me if Sonic delayed the game a bit, but he was probably a minor factor, while things like the online play were the big hitters. Not to mention we don't know exactly what "last minute" means in this context.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, Snake is out, can we just accept this. We would have gotten a different answer if he was playable.
Actually, there's no confirmation that Solid Snake is being cut or not. But considering that there a lot of Solid Snake fans out there, an outrage could end up spawning if he doesn't come back.

Sadly, Solid Snake's chances of ever being revealed will probably be limited to a Nintendo Direct, much like with Sonic.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He isn't speaking in riddles. There isn't something that needs to be read between the lines.

?????????????

Smash Master
The creator of Snake, saying it's unlikely, and then giving a quick (And much too late) shout out to Sakurai.. nope. He out.
He isn't speaking in riddles. There isn't something that needs to be read between the lines.
We don't know that. We can't confirm that. Until there's a definite "yes" or "no" on the character, your guess is as good as mine. Believe what you want to believe, but don't enforce yours as an inevitability.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Shortie now confirmed that Snake is 100% going to be in.

Thanks based Shortie.
Quite honestly, you're not making any sense. Surely Kojima would've had prior knowledge, and knowing his friendship with Sakurai, Sakurai wouldn't really want to count out Kojima on such secret. He said "If Sakurai sees this, please put Snake in," if Snake's not in already, it may be too late. We don't want any more delays as much as we had with Sakurai struggling to get SEGA's admiration to get Sonic into Brawl.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Warning Received
We don't know that. We can't confirm that. Until there's a definite "yes" or "no" on the character, your guess is as good as mine. Believe what you want to believe, but don't enforce yours as an inevitability.
My guess is better than yours because I'm not disregarding what the creator of the franchise is saying.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Do you even know who Kojima is?

There is no certain answer at this point. SEGA said something very similar in regards to Sonic. Basically the same thing. "We hope to see him in the new game!"

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
Quite honestly, you're not making any sense. Surely Kojima would've had prior knowledge, and knowing his friendship with Sakurai, Sakurai wouldn't really want to count out Kojima on such secret. He said "If Sakurai sees this, please put Snake in," if Snake's not in already, it may be too late. We don't want any more delays as much as we had with Sakurai struggling to get SEGA's admiration to get Sonic into Brawl.
Every time Shortie says something, it's automatically wrong.

That's how it's been.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Anybody saying they know what he meant is full of it. Nobody freaking knows. We'll find out eventually, but just because he said something doesn't mean Snake is doomed. Similar things were said about Sonic by his home company.

Let's not start throwing insults around. There's no need for it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
>Infracted for saying I'm right
>Xenoblaze not infracted for saying I'm always wrong

Seriously?

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Every time Shortie says something, it's automatically wrong.

That's how it's been.
Ok, listen up! How would you like it if Shortie started bullying you the same way you do him? It's human error, and human error is something that everyone has, basically speaking, it's rude to make fun of human error.

Anyway, seeing as how things are heating up, I'm outta here.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Guys. Just stop.

Nobody knows. Nobody is right. Nobody is wrong. Stop with the flaming and complaining or whatever it is, or else I'm going to start handing out infractions, not just warnings. Please.

>Xenoblaze not infracted for saying I'm always wrong

Seriously?
You weren't even infracted...and I DID warn Xenoblaze.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
>Xenoblaze not infracted fpr saying I'm always wrong

Seriously?
My guess is better than yours
If you're not going to see my viewpoint or my self as anything of value, then we have nothing to discuss. You are essentially saying right here, with the way of starting your statement, that anything I have to say is utterly futile in comparison to anything you have to say.

Well fine. I'll avoid discussing with you.

In any case, let's not turn this into a thread about morality. I stand by the fact that we don't know the full context of what Kojima has said, since he did not flat out say Snake will not be in SSB4. I myself would like to see Snake return as he was a good, unique character in Brawl and the first 3rd Party Character we ever saw in Super Smash Bros.

Guys. Just stop.

Nobody knows. Nobody is right. Nobody is wrong. Stop with the flaming and complaining or whatever it is, or else I'm going to start handing out infractions, not just warnings. Please.
Sorry. I was in the middle of typing this.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Even if Kojima said Snake isn't in SSB4, I would still be hesitant to believe him. I would not debate about it, but a part of me would just be thinking "...no...I'm not falling for your tricks again".

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Kojima's statement was quite vague, much like Sega's comment on Sonic. It's more of a political correctness thing than anything else. It's obvious neither of them would state whether or not their characters are in or not. Hell, even Kamiya with the Bayonetta comments on his Twitter gave the same kind of statements. It's always something on the lines of "Ask Sakurai" or "The character would be awesome." Nothing concrete.

Also, Kojima has a reputation for being a troll at times. Mind that.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Come on guys can we put behind that Interview? Seriously what type of answer did you think Kojima will give, he can´t say YES or NO as simple as that, he needs to wait for Sakurai to answer that question first, why because Sakurai is controlling which characters to reveal and in which time, so is out of the hands of Kojima to answer that, he will shoot to Sakurai's back if he gave a direct answer (not what a friend would do), I´m really amazed in how people can make out of context a simple interview and start flaming each other, so for the love of the thread STOP.

Now saying that, what do you guys think about the duo mechanic in Fire Emblem: Awakening and as a new comer Chrom + Lucina tag team match like Ice Climbers and Rosalina + Luma.

.n_n.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Sakurai and Kojima being friends can really be taken either way.

On one hand, Sakurai would be more likely to include Snake again due to their friendship, but, at the same time, Kojima would likely be more apt to understand that Snake only got in due to a very generous favor and wouldn't hold it against Sakurai if he weren't included again. Though, regardless, we're nowhere near the juncture where we can just blatantly say that Snake is or isn't in the game. If I had to guess, I'd say that the odds were in his favor rather than against him, but not leaning heavily either way.

Even if he's not included, he'd be great DLC material later on. I just wish Kojima would start repaying the favor and putting more MGS games on Nintendo systems. "Thank you for putting Snake in Brawl! ...oh, what's that? MGSV should be on the WiiU? No, that's silly. Thank you for the free advertising, anyway." If I didn't know any better, I'd say that Sakurai got punk'd.

I'm not too into Mewtwo either. I don't dislike him, but I won't jump for joy if he's included.

The guy saw fit to make you watch commercials for like a full five minutes at the beginning of MGSIV. The dude's off his rocker. Even if Snake is in, I wouldn't put it past him to blatantly say he wasn't.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sakurai and Kojima being friends can really be taken either way.

On one hand, Sakurai would be more likely to include Snake again due to their friendship, but, at the same time, Kojima would likely be more apt to understand that Snake only got in due to a very generous favor and wouldn't hold it against Sakurai if he weren't included again. Though, regardless, we're nowhere near the juncture where we can just blatantly say that Snake is or isn't in the game. If I had to guess, I'd say that the odds were in his favor rather than against him, but not leaning heavily either way.

Even if he's not included, he'd be great DLC material later on. I just wish Kojima would start repaying the favor and putting more MGS games on Nintendo systems. "Thank you for putting Snake in Brawl! ...oh, what's that? MGSV should be on the WiiU? No, that's silly. Thank you for the free advertising, anyway." If I didn't know any better, I'd say that Sakurai got punk'd.
Sakurai does not create games to sell Nintendo's systems, though. He is not an employee of Nintendo anymore, and could drop out of the Smash Bros project at any time if he wanted to. He's essentially a really lucky Nintendo fan to be in his position. Smash Bros uses first party Nintendo names and thus only appears on Nintendo systems, but Sakurai is not making this game to sell systems. It just inevitably has that effect. He doesn't lose out at all if Kojima doesn't make a game for a Nintendo system. Sakurai has actually given the PS4 a lot of praise, too.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I mostly don't like how people are blowing this way out of proportions, both Sakurai and Kojima are very tricky to understand, and come off as quite trolly at times. I'm staying optimistic about Snake, and I'll just wait and see what will happen, to be honest.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
The amount of unecessary arguments on the internet is astounding. Also first time I wrote the Word 'astounding'! Probably spelled it wrong.

So, anywho. Snake. I would honestly guess he IS gone, but a lot of things Points to him returning, as well as NOT returning, so I will just wait and see what happens. If him being cut means any other Newcomer can be made, I would prefer that, as I wasn't a big fan of Snake in Brawl.

And on a random note, I want Wario to move 'normally' this time. D:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Marth aspires to be as graceful as Wario.
Explains why the English translation for his down taunt is "Everyone! Look at me!".
Marthypoo, you just can't expect to steal Wario's audience. It doesn't work like that. Watching Wario gracefully strut across the stage as he shouts "WA!" is not something you can top so easily.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind WarioWare Wario as much if he was actually based on the character and not just the franchise in general.

That and he has like, two references to Wario Land/World in his entire moveset, which is otherwise filled with silly, out-of-character garbage. If Sakurai's bent on pleasing fans, then he needs to integrate the two styles, ala Project M, rather than rely so heavily on one or the other. Both series are very important to Wario as a character and deserve to be represented.

That, and Project M Wario gives me the vapors. So sexy.

So, I vote that Wario's Shoulder Charge becomes his Standard B (since it IS his signature move, after all, and that's how it's performed in the games), so he can keep the Bike, since people seem to like it so much.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wouldn't mind if Wario's Side B Chopper was replaced with the Dancing Waft.
I literally just realised that his Down B is called "Wario WAFT" specifically because "waft" contains the sound "WA!".

"Can't you go five minutes without saying WA!????"

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well now that everything's calmed down again, here's my new roster. Been a while since I last updated it.

I just redid the borders around the characters for the most part, but I'm still trying to find better renders for some characters, specifically: Palutena, Shulk, Lip, Falco, Jigglypuff, Ike, Chrom, Lucas, and the Ice Climbers. I also went with the horizontal alignment this time.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well now that everything's calmed down again, here's my new roster. Been a while since I last updated it.

I just redid the borders around the characters for the most part, but I'm still trying to find better renders for some characters, specifically: Palutena, Shulk, Lip, Falco, Jigglypuff, Ike, Chrom, Lucas, and the Ice Climbers. I also went with the horizontal alignment this time.
This is the most interesting roster I've seen all day.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice

Replace the newer Pac-Man with the Pac-Man World Pac-Man, and you got yourself one hell of a list.

D

Deleted member

~Snipity Doo da~

I could probably whip up a render for Falco.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
WRT Snake stuff:

Why is it so hard for people to understand the concept of a NDA.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

I like your setup, it's different than the rest that I've seen. And Palutena and Lip would make me so happy

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I want to talk about Ridley, but there's literally nothing else to say about him.

So, uh...how many of you think alternate costumes are actually going to be a thing? I'd like to think that they will be, but I'm not putting any money down on it.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Personally I just hope that Mewtwo is under Jigglypuff whenever the tier list for this game comes out, I've always found that hilarious.
With Jigglypuff being the new Meta Knight, perhaps?:awesome:

I wouldn't give a damn, but other would.

For some queer reason that I'll never understand.
I can.

You can say this about literally any character.

"I seriously don't understand why people want Shulk in the next Smash Bros. He's just another anime guy with a sword."

Generalities aren't ever cool.
Oh, oh, oh, try Jigglypuff, Sonic and Isaac next!:p

The guy saw fit to make you watch commercials for like a full five minutes at the beginning of MGSIV. The dude's off his rocker. Even if Snake is in, I wouldn't put it past him to blatantly say he wasn't.
I never even understood the meaning of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom