• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I am one of those people that do think that Smash is an advertisement to an extent.
If a series hasn't had a new game in a while, they won't cut the characters from said series, but new characters may be added based on what the new games in the series are.
Cue Rosalina, or Chrom, or Mewtwo.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If the bigwigs cared that much, they'd have stopped Snake's inclusion in Brawl to begin with.

I have no doubt that Snake is in personally.
I admire your confidence. I feel like he's in, but I often freak myself out over things that I REALLY don't want to happen. This is one of them.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If the bigwigs cared that much, they'd have stopped Snake's inclusion in Brawl to begin with. They'd probably have stopped his inclusion early on in Smash 4's production too, which would mean that Sakurai couldn't have said that nobody was cut in the summer of 2013.

I have no doubt that Snake is in personally.
There is one slight problem though - Snake very nearly didn't make it into Brawl. Apparently getting him in was a huge struggle, according to Kojima and Sakurai. They actually did have to convince some higher ups. That is the one thing that makes me doubt Snake's return a little, as there is that chance some higher ups may protest, especially if there is new management. Otherwise, I'm pretty optimistic about Snake.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
We will keep Snake because he's already in, has an interesting moveset and like it or not Kojima will accept having him in again, but let's not make the same mistake twice adding undeserving characters, no Pacman.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
That is proof of your bias.
Considering that the rest of your argument is essentially you hounding me because I don't think that Sonic getting into Brawl was the best thing since sliced ****ing bread, this is hilariously ironic. The fact that I'd rather have Mewtwo than Sonic doesn't make me biased against him. I suppose wanting Ridley more than Sonic makes me biased, too? Or maybe the fact that I don't think Sonic is the best thing to happen to video gaming ever?

Not everyone (or anyone, really) who opposes you in an argument is blindly biased against whatever you're arguing for. I know plenty of Sonic fans and made a lot of friends over at the Sonic Stadium, and a lot of them were extremely disappointed about the way Sonic played and was represented in Brawl.

As for Rayman, I openly admitted that I could be wrong about his popularity. That doesn't really equate to continuing an argument.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So he can't be ready for Snake, a character who he already added, but he can be for a character who probably won't happen and one who isn't highly requested?

If Snake gets removed, I'll bet there will be a large amount of people requesting Snake. Simply because he is a veteran.

I don't think he'll actually be cut if I'm being honest. I'm just worried.
I know I've been talking about Snake getting cut a lot, but that's just my highest opinion. I liked Snake for the codecs, but i saw it easier for Sonic to come back than Snake. I don't hate Snake, but I'm really worried about him. And trust me, I don't like the idea of characters being cut anymore that you do.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
If Snake gets removed, I'll bet there will be a large amount of people requesting Snake. Simply because he is a veteran.

I don't think he'll actually be cut if I'm being honest. I'm just worried.
If he's removed, he may turn into the next Mewtwo. It's a possibility.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It's not like, if he is cut, the next Project M won't re-add him. :laugh: If cut, I would imagine that, like @ Gunla Gunla said, he'll become this game's Mewtwo.

Unlike Mewtwo, though, if he's in at any point, he's staying in.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Considering the rest of your argument is essentially you hounding me because I don't think that Sonic getting into Brawl was the best thing since sliced ****ing bread, this is hilariously ironic.

As for Rayman, I openly admitted that I could be wrong about his popularity. That doesn't really equate to continuing an argument.
Not really, my main focus was how you're objectively wrong about Sonic being the result of a lot of cut content in Brawl, and that your pre-conceived distaste for his Brawl portrayal was the biased reason behind you making such a rash claim.

And I just don't see why you brought him up to begin with, I posted a bit of news I thought people might like, similar to the Snake news. Regardless of how popular Rayman is, there was no need to go on a rant about last minute characters, especially since I was presenting the idea of getting Rayman into a Smash game, NOT the next one specifically. I only posted that Sonic picture because someone mistakenly said that Sakurai would never put a last minute addition into the game, when he easily could decide to do that. I didn't say he'd do it for Rayman or anything. Professor Layton maybe, but not Rayman.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Okay, whatever you want to believe, buckaroo. -pat on the head-
And I will believe so until a certain someone learns how to provide at least solid evidence for their claims, let alone undeniable evidence. :V

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I wouldn't care, but other would.

For some queer reason that I'll never understand.
Fixed

Mewtwo? I'm not really counting on him, but it's possible. I was pretty decent with Mewtwo in Melee. As much as I don't think he'll be playable, I would be satisfied if he is anyway. I think he'd be an E3 thing though

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Personally, I think Mewtwo deserves to come back, but I wouldn't lose sleep if he didn't, because I'm not a huge Pokémon fan. And while his moveset is cool and interesting and unique, it's personally not my cup of tea.

As far as what I think his chances are, well, we know for a fact Sakurai has been thinking about bringing Mewtwo back, though possibly in his X/Y forms.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Someone thinks rayman has a legit chance?

Thsts a shame.
Rayman is a largely popular franchise and is the mascot of UbiSoft, one of the biggest names in the industry (who have also been supporting the Wii U unlike others). The Rayman series itself has also sold more than even Smash Bros, and that's without counting any of the Rabbids spin-off titles. Micheal Ancel (Rayman's creator) also apparently just said that he'd love Rayman to be in Smash, and he's met Miyamoto before (they were both knighted a while back by the French Ordre des Arts et des Lettres) so there's always the very off chance that they keep in contact. Though Rayman does have a snowball's chance in hell unless he suddenly gets as many requests as Sonic, or if Ancel would be able to get Miyamoto to ask Sakurai to add him. Still better than nearly every other candidate besides Pac-Man.

As much as I would love it, I know it's not happening this time or ever. There's always the possibility of DLC if enough people got behind the idea though.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No, seriously, I don't understand why people desperately want Mewtwo back.

I find him extremely lackluster in Super Smash Bros., and he's just another legendary Pokemon.
People really like him. What more is needed?

?????????????

Smash Master

I find him extremely lackluster in Super Smash Bros., and he's just another legendary Pokemon.
Well, I believe the desire would be to make Mewtwo a good character in SSB this time around. I mean, Ganondorf is pretty ****ty, but he's still around.

As for being "just another legendary Pokemon," well, no. He's the most powerful legendary Pokemon, and has leagues more popularity and special appearances.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

You can say this about literally any character.

"I seriously don't understand why people want Shulk in the next Smash Bros. He's just another anime guy with a sword."

Generalities aren't ever cool.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I wouldn't give a damn, but other would.

For some queer reason that I'll never understand.
Bcuz he's da most powerful of dem all pokemons!!

Idk, I liked him, but like Jiggly or Roy I can live without him. I personally would like to see Blaziken, Grovyle or Greninja.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
If Mewtwo is returning, then I have two theories to make:
1. They will bring him in as his basic form, and he will have his Mega Evolutions as alrernate skins, thus showing more of character skin options.

2, The Mega Evolutions could be his final smash, and possibly confirm multiple different final smash's for different characters? (Probably not likely, but just a thought.)

Mewtwo is one of my most requested, and I think he really has incredible chances, (Being the number 1 most requested character in the U.S. and Japan,) and they'll certainly try to bring him back with some sort of change after all the variations of him we've seen since the 1990's. If he doesn't come back, then so be it. I'm a huge fan of Lucario anyways.

Gune

Smash Lord

People dont appreciate what they have untill its gone.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People dont appreciate what they have untill its gone.
Then I've never felt it for the characters. The closest would actually be Roy, but even then I'm not crying at all over here.

I'm more annoyed that certain modes or mechanics get changed or removed in future installments, like for example I don't like how Target Test doesn't have personal stages to capitalize on learning the abilities a character has in Brawl, and I don't like how changed mechanics like the lack of hitstun and more punishing stale move negation caused a much more campy metagame.

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
If Mewtwo is returning, then I have two theories to make:
1. They will bring him in as his basic form, and he will have his Mega Evolutions as alrernate skins, thus showing more of character skin options.

2, The Mega Evolutions could be his final smash, and possibly confirm multiple different final smash's for different characters? (Probably not likely, but just a thought.)

Mewtwo is one of my most requested, and I think he really has incredible chances, (Being the number 1 most requested character in the U.S. and Japan,) and they'll certainly try to bring him back with some sort of change after all the variations of him we've seen since the 1990's. If he doesn't come back, then so be it. I'm a huge fan of Lucario anyways.
I would like to see in similar to Pokemon Trainer..aka him shifting towards three different forms..Normal Form, X Form and Y Form

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I admire your confidence. I feel like he's in, but I often freak myself out over things that I REALLY don't want to happen. This is one of them.
We all do that occasionally I'm sure, have no worries.

There is one slight problem though - Snake very nearly didn't make it into Brawl. Apparently getting him in was a huge struggle, according to Kojima and Sakurai. They actually did have to convince some higher ups. That is the one thing that makes me doubt Snake's return a little, as there is that chance some higher ups may protest, especially if there is new management. Otherwise, I'm pretty optimistic about Snake.
The higher ups that'd need convincing would probably mainly be Nintendo's department, and they haven't had a change in leadership. Unless they for some whacko reason think that including Snake in a game on their own console hurts said console they're probably not going to have any objections. Getting Sonic in was also a struggle, and not only because of the time he was added. 3rd parties are in general a huge hassle to add, the only exception seems to be Mega Man where Sakurai noted that Capcom was very willing to do it and it didn't cause any trouble, which is probably because Capcom is one of the companies who most often does crossovers in this business, so they have a lot of experience with it.

Personally, I think Mewtwo deserves to come back, but I wouldn't lose sleep if he didn't, because I'm not a huge Pokémon fan. And while his moveset is cool and interesting and unique, it's personally not my cup of tea.

As far as what I think his chances are, well, we know for a fact Sakurai has been thinking about bringing Mewtwo back, though possibly in his X/Y forms.
I'm a huge Pokémon fan and I didn't really miss him a whole lot in Brawl. He's cool enough as a Pokémon, though a bit overrated imo, but his moveset in Smash is god awful imo. I also don't like how his design has changed over the years, the anime Mewtwo is plain ugly imo.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
:mewtwopm: Mewtwo will need a buff.

-Float like Peach;
-Longer grab (he uses psychic power);
-Psystrike;
-Mega evos in Final Smash;
-Teleport through walls;
-Aerial grabs would be great.

Broken? I don't care, he's legendary.:rotfl:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Personally I just hope that Mewtwo is under Jigglypuff whenever the tier list for this game comes out, I've always found that hilarious.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well...that actually gives me another thought.

If Sakurai fought hard enough for Snake to get into Brawl, is it really all that likely for him to just be like, "Well forget that" and drop it? Plus, it's not like having Snake in Smash will tremendously effect sales for MGS. It's a titan of a series.

There isn't any new management fortunately, so they could've been convinced again. I don't see any issues with his inclusion. I mean, look at the support he has for his return!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well...that actually gives me another thought.

If Sakurai fought hard enough for Snake to get into Brawl, is it really all that likely for him to just be like, "Well forget that" and drop it? Plus, it's not like having Snake in Smash will tremendously effect sales for MGS. It's a titan of a series.

There isn't any new management fortunately, so they could've been convinced again. I don't see any issues with his inclusion. I mean, look at the support he has for his return!
Well, Sakurai describes his work on Smash Bros games, particularly the roster, to be "stressful to the brink of death". I think that, if there is strong opposition to Snake this time around, at Nintendo's headquarters, Sakurai may just have to concede in order to keep up with the 2014 deadline. Especially since he has the added weight of his calcific tendonitis, and the ruptures in his arm. On one hand, he's basically carrying the world on his shoulders, in his eyes, when he is making this game, so he's determined. On the other hand, if a character really did have a strong opposition to it's inclusion, he might not be willing to stress over that one character for too long.

I am generally optimistic about Snake, don't get me wrong, and I definitely want him back (he's not one of my mains, but I like the character and he actually helped draw me to Nintendo and Smash Bros). But in general, I'm a realist, and I do my best to account for all possible scenarios.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, Sakurai describes his work on Smash Bros games, particularly the roster, to be "stressful to the brink of death". I think that, if there is strong opposition to Snake this time around, at Nintendo's headquarters, Sakurai may just have to concede in order to keep up with the 2014 deadline. Especially since he has the added weight of his calcific tendonitis, and the ruptures in his arm. On one hand, he's basically carrying the world on his shoulders, in his eyes, when he is making this game, so he's determined. On the other hand, if a character really did have a strong opposition to it's inclusion, he might not be willing to stress over that one character for too long.

I am generally optimistic about Snake, don't get me wrong, and I definitely want him back (he's not one of my mains, but I like the character and he actually helped draw me to Nintendo and Smash Bros). But in general, I'm a realist, and I do my best to account for all possible scenarios.
Yeah. It's probably just a wait and see scenario at this point. I'm sure I would get over it eventually if he didn't get in, but I don't think it's so cut and dry right now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not really, my main focus was how you're objectively wrong about Sonic being the result of a lot of cut content in Brawl, and that your pre-conceived distaste for his Brawl portrayal was the biased reason behind you making such a rash claim.

And I just don't see why you brought him up to begin with, I posted a bit of news I thought people might like, similar to the Snake news. Regardless of how popular Rayman is, there was no need to go on a rant about last minute characters, especially since I was presenting the idea of getting Rayman into a Smash game, NOT the next one specifically. I only posted that Sonic picture because someone mistakenly said that Sakurai would never put a last minute addition into the game, when he easily could decide to do that. I didn't say he'd do it for Rayman or anything. Professor Layton maybe, but not Rayman.
You do know that the game was indeed delayed to add Sonic in right? Like, he really was a last minute character added in due to popularity. Not only did the devs have to make an entirely new moveset for an unplanned character, they had to add a stage, some music, and a bunch of trophies for Sonic's arrival. It eats up a decent amount of time. Because Sonic was added in so late, content needed to be cut to make room for him.

Since it was so late in development, Mewtwo was one of the characters that got the short end of the stick and wasn't playable in the final version of the game.
Honestly, Mewtwo was the only character that was a significant loss in Brawl, all the other cut characters were clones, so they were expendable as it is.

Now this isn't the case anymore with Sonic. He already has a moveset made, and the negotiations with Sega were set in stone before hand. He can't screw over any character inadvertently at this point. That could only happen with another new third party character being put into that kind of situation.

He is pretty much the 2nd or 3rd most popular Pokemon. It only makes sense for him to be sorely missed. If you ask me, I'd rather have almost any newer Pokemon over Mewtwo. But I can't deny that he's likely the only Pokemon character we're getting outside of those in Brawl. I'm honestly more excited to see the Pokemon Trainer come back, hopefully with some improvements this time around.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So, I've seen potential for two possibilities next week.

Possibility #1. Tuesday, the Year of Luigi is over. Fans are speculating the Year of Yoshi, and expect his arrival on Tuesday. While I'm not too bent on that, it sure would be nice to have the Year of Yoshi running at the same time as the Year of Sonic

Possibility #2. Pokemon Battle Trozei coming out Friday merits a possible Pokemon veteran. I'm not sure if Sakurai is interested in minor Pokemon games, but if he is, I think he'd announce Pokemon Trainer or Jigglypuff that day, Mewtwo has an extremely low chance of being revealed that day IMO, because he sounds like an E3 thing with a trailer just like Sonic.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, I've seen potential for two possibilities next week.

Possibility #1. Tuesday, the Year of Luigi is over. Fans are speculating the Year of Yoshi, and expect his arrival on Tuesday. While I'm not too bent on that, it sure would be nice to have the Year of Yoshi running at the same time as the Year of Sonic

Possibility #2. Pokemon Battle Trozei coming out Friday merits a possible Pokemon veteran. I'm not sure if Sakurai is interested in minor Pokemon games, but if he is, I think he'd announce Pokemon Trainer or Jigglypuff that day, Mewtwo has an extremely low chance of being revealed that day IMO, because he sounds like an E3 thing with a trailer just like Sonic.
I don't find either to be that strong of a chance myself. I mean the "Year of Yoshi" thing hasn't been confirmed, so no reason to expect that. For all we know it could just be a one time thing with Luigi. And I just don't see them doing anything with Pokemon Trozei. But I would gladly be wrong if it meant we got some more news involving the game.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm not too into Mewtwo either. I don't dislike him, but I won't jump for joy if he's included.

Also, Snake is out, can we just accept this. We would have gotten a different answer if he was playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom