• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Kamek is the villain role more in the SMB series or Yoshi's Island series? Which is it? @_@
well, this piece of evidence should explain it all.

(Yoshi's Island he's more prominent)
Meta Knight isn't a consistent villain; most of the time his intentions are good (Squeak Squad, Adventure). The only time I remember him actually being evil is Revenge of Meta Knight. King Dedede is much more of a consistent villain than Meta Knight is.
<GOTCHA!!>

For the development of Melee, Dedede was considered before meta night. so he would be the one added first.

What do you have to say to that?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

OPINIONS?

also, If there's someone you think I left out, feel free to tell me. I often forget to add people sometimes....
Well, replace Ike with Chrom, cut off Marshal, add in Krystal, replace King K Rool with Dixie Kong, make Tetra a transformation for Toon Zelda, cut off either Waddle Dee or Snake and replace your choice with Shulk, and cut off Kamek for the random character selection spot.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
@ Starcutter Starcutter
According to @ --- --- 's research I think Meta Knight was planned for Melee at one point in time too.
Surprisingly enough. I wouldn't have imagined it.
Fun Fact: This is actually correct! Additional characters planned included Solid Snake, Diddy, Balloon Fighter, Dedede, Snake and Lucas. Most people know about Lucas, Balloon Fighter and Snake, but not the others.

BTW: legendofrob, I think it may be too recent to even matter in Smash IV. The final roster was allegedly finalized a while back, before this game was even big.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
This. I mean, I seriously googled Marshall Nintendo and nothing relevant appeared. So I proceeded to add "character" to the end of the search... and still nothing. Not to mention the user had to actually make the icon for him as it wasn't already speculated for by any extension of the imagination. Who is this Marshall? What franchise is he from?
Rhythm Heaven.

also there was already people who made icons, I was just an idiot and didn't see them :facepalm:
Well, replace Ike with Chrom, cut off Marshal, add in Krystal, replace King K Rool with Dixie Kong, make Tetra a transformation for Toon Zelda, cut off either Waddle Dee or Snake and replace your choice with Shulk, and cut off Kamek for the random character selection spot.
I'm not doing any of that, those are all terrible decisions.
@ Starcutter Starcutter
According to @ --- --- 's research I think Meta Knight was planned for Melee at one point in time too.
:urg:
pretend this is Apollo Justice sweating

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Err maybe not Ike and maybe not Krystal, but I agree with the rest.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Okay; thank you for clarifying. Haha.

:awesome:
I think why he's not well known is because he's only really obviously present in one of the 3 games he's in, and to top it off, I think they only mention his name once, along with the rest of the cast in the credits.

I mostly included him as the best Rhythm Heaven character possible, and those games deserve smash attention.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think why he's not well known is because he's only really obviously present in one of the 3 games he's in, and to top it off, I think they only mention his name once, along with the rest of the cast in the credits.

I mostly included him as the best Rhythm Heaven character possible, and those games deserve smash attention.
I personally prefer the rhythm girl over Marshal, but both are fairly interesting.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
BTW: legendofrob, I think it may be too recent to even matter in Smash IV. The final roster was allegedly finalized a while back, before this game was even big.
I respect your opinion, but what if we turn things around? if we look at things from a different angle, maybe the reason why Kamek suddenly became much more prominent in Yoshi's new island is because of Smash.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I personally prefer the rhythm girl over Marshal, but both are fairly interesting.
I feel like Karate Joe and Rhythm Wrestler are better options.
Heck, Rhythm Heaven Girl would probably work a little better.
we are all entitled to our opinions, just I think my opinion would work the best, that being Marshal. Wrestler is a close second, though.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If I'm not mistaken Karate Joe has perfect attendance in the Rhythm Heaven franchise.
I got something for you, lemme find it....
welllll technically....

so has marshall.

Rhythm Tengoku:
this has been connected as being as Marshall as japan's RH Fever has a GBA/Fever night walk mix.

Rhythm Heaven
The DS one is kinda iffy, as it's never exactly been stated inside or outside, but hints at it exist, such as Marshall wearing a bow-tie in the endless game Munchy Monk in RH Fever.

Rhythm Heaven Fever is so obvious I don't really need to explain it, I'm assuming.
there, hopefully that clarifies things a little bit. he's officially in the first and third, and pretty clearly in the second one as well.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Marshall may be known more, but if Sakurai had to choose out of all RH characters, he would pick the most interesting one of all, which is "P-PPPPOSE FOR THE FANS!"
I'd actually argue that the Girl or Marshal would be more unique, since they could pull from all of the minigames to make a really interesting moveset. I don't think the Wrestler's moveset would as accurately portray Rhythm Haven as either of them.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'd actually argue that the Girl or Marshal would be more unique, since they could pull from all of the minigames to make a really interesting moveset. I don't think the Wrestler's moveset would as accurately portray Rhythm Haven as either of them.
Aah, so now this leads me back to Marshall then, since he's more well known. :p

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Why not Krystal? She's well requested, she's well known, and she's HOT!!
1) Well requested, I'll give you this. Not nearly as requested as Ridley, Mewtwo, and previously Little Mac however.
2) Krystal isn't well-known, at all really. Only known by die hard SF fans and the casual gamer who played Adventures and any other StairFax game she was in. Put her side by side next to Peach, Samus, Zelda, Rosalina, and even Daisy and I doubt a casual Nintendo player would recognize her. Not that being well-known actually matters in Smash.
3) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some say. And I say she's not.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Why is Marshal a better choice than the Girl, Karate Joe, or the Wrestler? I'm interested in your opinion.
I'm just going to say this now, I think marshal is better than all of those, but he's not the only one who's better. the rhythm monkey could also easily take marshal's place and do everything he could.

Karate Joe and the Wrestler are limited by what they can do in their minigames, but Marshal isn't confined to just that. I think since Marshal seems to be the "host" of Rhythm Heaven Fever, I think he could take elements from a lot more rhythm games than the likes of Karate Joe and the Wrestler.

and the rhythm girl seems like a cover girl. a girl to put on the front cover. also, I like Marshal more in terms of appearance, the Rhythm Girl seems kinda generic to me. I don't really have a reason for that it just is like that.

I can really see Krystal being playable, and I'm **** sure she'll be in.
you might want to take off those glasses, they seem to be broken.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Define noticeable. As in obvious? If so, I must point out that Sakurai rarely does the obvious.
he added mario :troll:

(also a breif meeting is required upon starting a new game in Fever, it's quite noticeable, and he appears in the results in over half of the remixes, and apparently hosts the fan favorite minigame on Japan's GBA game)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And I'm saying that it caused a lot of trouble for an end result that wasn't satisfactory. Brawl's development was already riddled with crap and bad decisions, throwing Sonic in at the last second only caused more problems, to the point that a completely original and popular character was canned. Don't call me biased because I want the best out of a Smash game. This has nothing to do with Sonic, and everything to do with what happened the last time we got a last-minute character. It's not a situation I want to be repeated.

As Jonesy (sorry, just finished reading Dreamcatcher) pointed out, this is Rayman, not Sonic. Rayman was practically a non-entity before his recent, more popular titles.
I'd like to see a source proving that Sonic threw a wrench in the works of Brawl's character roster, because I've never seen anything saying Sonic was the result of other characters being cut. All I've heard is that he was a last minute addition, which led me to believe the roster was final before Sonic's inclusion, but they then added him in due to his demand and relevance to Nintendo. Unless you can prove that Sonic did force other characters out of the game (which I HIGHLY doubt - how the heck could a character like Sonic prevent MULTIPLE characters from being forced out, including a veteran like Mewtwo, who likely could be implemented easily? If modders could do it, Sakurai and his team could have done it like it was nothing), I'm viewing this comment as biased. I won't argue with your opinion of the character's portrayal, as that's your opinion, and my username should be enough to tell you what I think of Sonic's portrayal in Brawl anyway.

Also, your "Rayman was a non-entity" claim is just objectively wrong, as I already proved. I will repeat, the Starfox franchise has a global sales number of about 11 million TODAY. The Rayman franchise had 10.5 million global sales AS OF DECEMBER 7TH, 2001. That is far from a non-entity, especially since Rayman 1 and 2 were the only Rayman games in existence at that time (as well as different versions of the games, and an educational spin off or two). You still have Rayman 3, Arena, M, Raving Rabbids, Origins, Legends, handheld spin-offs, digtial copies of afforementioned games, and mobile games to take into account, as well as later ports of his older games, to reach today's global sales (which VGChartz has a very inaccurate number for right now, as it doesn't account for the digital sales, and doesn't even have numbers for some games). Rayman is literally the game that put Ubisoft on the map. Without Rayman, franchises like Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed would never have come to be, as Rayman raked in the money for Ubisoft.

I was literally only posting the Rayman news in case anyone was interested in a petition, and I don't see it doing any harm.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm just going to say this now, I think marshal is better than all of those, but he's not the only one who's better. the rhythm monkey could also easily take marshal's place and do everything he could.

Karate Joe and the Wrestler are limited by what they can do in their minigames, but Marshal isn't confined to just that. I think since Marshal seems to be the "host" of Rhythm Heaven Fever, I think he could take elements from a lot more rhythm games than the likes of Karate Joe and the Wrestler.

and the rhythm girl seems like a cover girl. a girl to put on the front cover. also, I like Marshal more in terms of appearance, the Rhythm Girl seems kinda generic to me. I don't really have a reason for that it just is like that.
I forgot the monkey. Shame on me.

I agree on Wrestler and Joe.

I'm not sure how much of a negative that is against her, honestly. She seems somewhat generic by Rhythm Haven standards, I suppose, but she'd fit fairly nicely into the Smash Bros. cast.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm not sure how much of a negative that is against her, honestly. She seems somewhat generic by Rhythm Haven standards, I suppose, but she'd fit fairly nicely into the Smash Bros. cast.
I think the only argument I can make against the Rhythm girl is that Marshal is more iconic to rhythm heaven, I guess. other than that it's only opinion, I guess.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@ Starcutter Starcutter
It's been a while so my memory's fuzzy, but it was either him or Dedede (I think it was Dedede because of 64) who was planned for Melee in the event of no Fire Emblem characters or an alternative to the 6 clones. The article it comes from isn't from a good source, but what is said in it makes a lot of sense.

It's been a while since I've read through the Development thread. >_>

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Also, regarding the disheartened people who feel Kojima might be telling the truth about Snake - the guy is known for outright lying about stuff in order to create a surprise. May I remind you all that he somehow managed to avoid letting ANYONE know about the fact you play as this prissy little sissy nugget for the MAJORITY of MGS2, before the game was released?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Also, regarding the disheartened people who feel Kojima might be telling the truth about Snake - the guy is known for outright lying about stuff in order to create a surprise. May I remind you all that he somehow managed to avoid letting ANYONE know about the fact you play as this prissy little sissy nugget for the MAJORITY of MGS2, before the game was released?

That's not lying. That's just withholding information. Can I have an example where he outright lied to keep a secret for a game? (Note: I'm genuinely asking, since I'm not familiar with him. None of the supposed "trolling" that I've been told of has been outright dishonest, and I need to see an example of dishonesty to believe that it's possible that he's lying.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom