• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I predict Pac Man and Mii's revealed at E3; Miis will go hand in hand with the customization aspects, Pac Man for 3rd Party character hype. Probably one other newbie, and pssibly a few vets... Hopefully Snake (i'm actually hoping he gets revealed next week for GZ.)
The backlash would be huge if 2/3 of the E3 reveals were highly controversial characters.

D

Deleted member

I'm not saying it wouldn't. But a 3rd party character like Pac Man and the customization of the Miis are things that would likely be best reserved for E3.
While there's no better time for Pac-Man (he's not having any games coming up that Nintendo would want to advertise) I think Mii's reveal, if it comes, will be allowed to wait until later on, whether it's a newcomer or customized avatar for your online profile. Nintendo would make good headlines with at least one "hardcore" newcomer out for E3, i.e. Ridley, K. Rool or Mewtwo.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Was the Villager really all that controversial outside of our own Sakurai-obsessed little bubble?

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
All right, Brian Wilson, pay attention. We're starting to get way off topic with this talk about beards, and I've got better things to do tonight than get scolded by the mod's, so I'm done with this.

So, let's say that Microsoft decides to sell Rare back to Nintendo, and SEGA wishes to sell itself to Nintendo, and Sakurai drinks too much coffee in the morning and says that he wants at least one popular Jump Comic character and decides to stick with it even after he settles down a bit. What would you say answers the following questions.
1. Sakurai wants a character owned by RARE. Who will it be?
2. Sakurai wants four more Sonic characters. Who will they be?
3. Goku or Naruto?

D

Deleted member

Well, one person is, but unfortunately that group of people is still promonent on the comment section of YouTube. To be honest, Golden, i'd actually like to hear your standpoint on her, whether you think she could be included or not.
She could, but given that the circumstances in regards to the franchise at this point in time and the fact there's already three characters, she's not all that likely.
And no, Falco/Wolf won't be cut just to add her in.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't even say Wii Fit Trainer was especially controversial. Most warmed up to the choice within a day of the reveal, just look at what most people say on Smash Boards. A truly controversial character would be an anime character or a real person.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't remember any controversy over the Villager. The few that I did see were just a few short sighted people who though a move set for a AC character wasn't possible. Don't think that counts much as a controversy.

I wouldn't even say Wii Fit Trainer was especially controversial. Most warmed up to the choice within a day of the reveal, just look at what most people say on Smash Boards. A truly controversial character would be an anime character or a real person.
WFT was mostly a controversial on a shock level not much different from ROB in that regards. As long as a character looks like it will play decently that type of controversy doesn't linger long.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
All right, Brian Wilson, pay attention. We're starting to get way off topic with this talk about beards, and I've got better things to do tonight than get scolded by the mod's, so I'm done with this.

So, let's say that Microsoft decides to sell Rare back to Nintendo, and SEGA wishes to sell itself to Nintendo, and Sakurai drinks too much coffee in the morning and says that he wants at least one popular Jump Comic character and decides to stick with it even after he settles down a bit. What would you say answers the following questions.
1. Sakurai wants a character owned by RARE. Who will it be?
2. Sakurai wants four more Sonic characters. Who will they be?
3. Goku or Naruto?

THIS is the character discussion thread and the topic was clearly characters with beards.

So clearly the one going off topic here....
IS YOU!!

Also Banjo-Kazooie
Sonic, Tails, Amy, Eggman
Yami Yugi

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm for the notion that we need more characters with facial hair in Smash. They add a lot more class to the series. We also need monocles with top hats. Also, we were apparently wrong about Yoshi. So I'm not sure who is gonna show up this month, if anyone at all. Still this should make things all the more interesting, sort of like Mac being shown off the day we all thought Diddy Kong was getting revealed.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Or:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Villager was controversial...?
Was the Villager really all that controversial outside of our own Sakurai-obsessed little bubble?

EDIT: Ninja'd.
The Villager was controversial?
Pretty much what I was thinking.
At least with Wii Fit Trainer I started to find her rather entertaining after my initial shock.
Miis? Probably will never have that same feeling again.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Someone (not it) should see how many pages a proposed character thread received before the newcomer was revealed.

Rosalina was quite low. The Mii thread would also probably have a low count if the Mii were revealed. Did Wii Fit Trainer even have a thread? Was the Villager also low?

Was Megaman (is it high?) and Little Mac the only one with many pages.

Sadly, the characters with the most pages and discussion may not get in.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Some very interesting news:

Earlier today, I believe, Michel Ancel, the creator of the Rayman franchise, and the Rayman Legends dev team, held a Q&A session over on Twitch. They've been answering a bunch of cool questions about Rayman lore and what not.

I visit a Rayman forum, and the guys there composed a list of questions for the live stream. One such question was for Ancel's comments on Rayman being in Smash Bros. Unfortunately, I missed the entire thing. So as of now, I do not have Ancel's direct quote. However, he did respond to the question, and this is one of the forum goer's paraphrasing of it:

Also 2, they answered a question saying that they'd love to have Rayman in Smash Bros, but they have no control over that obviously, but they'd love it if people were to start a petition.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Some very interesting news:

Earlier today, I believe, Michel Ancel, the creator of the Rayman franchise, and the Rayman Legends dev team, held a Q&A session over on Twitch. They've been answering a bunch of cool questions about Rayman lore and what not.

I visit a Rayman forum, and the guys there composed a list of questions for the live stream. One such question was for Ancel's comments on Rayman being in Smash Bros. Unfortunately, I missed the entire thing. So as of now, I do not have Ancel's direct quote. However, he did respond to the question, and this is one of the forum goer's paraphrasing of it:
Well that's interesting, but I don't think they have enough time to get the list for Rayman, and implement him into Smash Bros in time of it's release.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Haha I forgot about that, not to mention that picture totally delivers the point you're making. But anyways, they did manage to fit Sonic in last minute, but I really don't see Rayman getting the same treatment when he is not as popular as Sonic. Also, I think they learned for the better with rushing last minute characters.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Rayman isn't even close to Sonic. That's not even a fair comparison. Rayman is leagues below him in popularity, and Rayman is by no means legendary.
Rayman might as well call Sonic "Mr President," unless Nintendo buys up SEGA. Which I have seen a lot of fan desire for such event, I'm not gonna go too deep into that lake though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's something I've been thinking about. I posted this in the "How can we predict reveals?" thread.

So...I will admit I'm probably jumping to a lot of conclusions...but hear me out.

So if we take this new Mii related stage as anything, that would be 2 stages devoted to Miis. I firmly believe that Miis will be included as customizable playable characters. That can also relate to the first trailer leak that also included Pac-Man.

So if we consider Pac Man and Miis, that would add onto the total newcomers, making it a whopping 7.

If you consider the Palutena leak, which mind you, has NOT been proven fake yet, that would be newcomer number 8.

If you consider the concept that Fire Emblem will get a newcomer (which is certainly likely), that brings it to 9.

If you consider the retro character (Takamaru, Lip, etc...) that many expect, that brings it to 10.

If you consider Mewtwo, the sole remaining almost shoe in, that's 11.

K.Rool and Ridley, two very much requested newcomers, would bring it to 13.

Basically...what I'm saying is, is that if there are any more "out of left field" character, that we may not see certain highly requested characters. Mind you, I will admit that I am taking a lot of liberties here. However, there is a possibility that one or more of the highly requested characters may not make the cut. Assuming there aren't any cuts.

I will tell you all, that if we don't see K.Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo make the cut, that I myself, no matter how unique the newcomers, will consider this a failure newcomer wise.

That said, the next few reveals may turn the tables on speculation. We have no idea who we'll see next month in the Direct. April and E3 are incredibly important. I can almost guarantee that we'll see a 3rd newcomer aside from Pac and Miis (assuming we get those two at E3 to start with). Whoever that newcomer is will determine what direction we're going.

Because E3 is a Western event, I would certainly not be surprised at Ridley making his playable debut. However, if he is not the one shown, I will be a tad worried.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but this is the reality. If we get anymore anomaly characters, then we may not see one or more of the top characters.

Basically, words to the wise:

1) Do not expect any single series to receive more than one character in this installment

2) Do not expect there to be more than one retro playable character

3) Do not expect any 3rd parties aside from Pac-Man and Snake to be revealed at this point

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There are multiple Mii related stages to make up for the lack of Miis.
I fear that isn't what it's pointing towards. There is a customizable option that Sakurai has teased, and Mii's would make the most sense at this point. While we don't have proof of them being playable just yet, there is mounting evidence.

Morbi

Scavenger
The backlash would be huge if 2/3 of the E3 reveals were highly controversial characters.
This is extremely late, but this quote is utterly fallacious. Those characters are only controversial in our community; the more hardcore community. They aren't entirely controversial in other mediums. There wouldn't be much backlash in regards to those characters being chosen, it would be a more indirect disdain (one conceived as their favorite characters would be seemingly less likely).

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I fear that isn't what it's pointing towards. There is a customizable option that Sakurai has teased, and Mii's would make the most sense at this point. While we don't have proof of them being playable just yet, there is mounting evidence.
Yeah, but there's been mounting evidence for a lot of things that didn't happen.
I wish I knew the ratio of people wanting Miis versus expecting them.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Expect Mii and Pac-Man, KenithTheGatherer.

Cry now. Moisten your eyes with tears. Dry them, look at the blue sky, feel the sun on your skin. Say," Life is still good." Sniff the last runner of snot back up your nose and bask in the passing of your sadness.

Then hope. Hope for the characters that would make you squeal like a teenage girl at a Hanson concert(they're still around?).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Expect Mii and Pac-Man, KenithTheGatherer.
I shall, partially. But I will be kicking and screaming the whole way if it happens. Because neither deserve this.

You can't get much more controversial than these two.
Except...people actually wanted an Animal Crossing character and WFT didn't have an established hatebase.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rayman isn't even close to Sonic. That's not even a fair comparison. Rayman is leagues below him in popularity, and Rayman is by no means legendary.
While not on Sonic's level, Rayman is extremely popular. Rayman was considered on the level of Crash and Spyro, and was a character people wanted for PS-All Stars. He was never a Sony mascot, but his first two games were best sellers on Playstation platforms, and achieved even more sales on other systems, as well as countless ports and remakes. Rayman has sold less in recent times, but only because the franchise is still going through it's revival, since the Rabbids took over for a while. Rayman is considered quite iconic, and would be a perfect fit for Smash Bros. He's way more iconic than many of Nintendo's own franchises (Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Starfox, etc).

And it wouldn't be hard to give him a moveset, as there is almost a full Smash moveset for him in Rayman Legends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom