• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I think we're going to get a character regardless tomorrow regardless of whether or not it's Yoshi. Although Yoshi would make the most sense.
-Release date for a high profile game
-It's Yoshi, a big Nintendo character
-Japan date is Summertime. still TBA meaning Sakurai no can use.
=Yes, it's likely Yoshi. Though anything would be accepted. :)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You totes just lost me here.

Are you saying SEGA made a comment about Sonic appearing in Smash? Because I'm assuming that's what you're saying.

OR...maybe I just need to lay off the drugs again. (I don't actually do drugs)
When Sonic Lost World was still being promoted, Sega executives during interviews were asked if Sonic was going to appear in the next Super Smash Bros. game. Every time the question was asked, it was dodged in some way. Like "We don't know" or "We'd like to see Sonic in the next Smash game!" type answers.

Hence why I'm making the joke saying that because of staff pretending to not know about Sonic's inclusion to dodge spoilers, it mean he's clearly scrapped.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
When Sonic Lost World was still being promoted, Sega executives during interviews were asked if Sonic was going to appear in the next Super Smash Bros. game. Every time the question was asked, it was dodged in some way. Like "We don't know" or "We'd like to see Sonic in the next Smash game!" type answers.

Hence why I'm making the joke saying that because of staff pretending to not know about Sonic's inclusion to dodge spoilers, it mean he's clearly scrapped.
Well then this Kojima interview really means absolutely nothing.

My fears have already been squashed. Thank you.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Actually, Takashi Iizuka (the producer of the Sonic franchise) outright said "ask Nintendo" when questioned on the subject, at one point anyway. Which seemed a bit more on the encouraging side to me.

But I think Snake is unpredictable at this stage. We don't have any completely logical reasons to believe Snake would be in, or out, at this point. Best to just wait and see. Snake has a game coming this month, so we have a fine opportunity to find out.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well then this Kojima interview really means absolutely nothing.

My fears have already been squashed. Thank you.
Also keep in mind that cuts aren't going to be planned. If any cuts do happen, it will because of unintended factors like time.

Hence why I think labeling Snake, and any character in general, as scrapped is generally rash considering we don't know for sure what will and won't happen.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Also keep in mind that cuts aren't going to be planned. If any cuts do happen, it will because of unintended factors like time.

Hence why I think labeling Snake, and any character in general, as scrapped is generally rash considering we don't know for sure what will and won't happen.
I completely agree. I always believed that the idea of Sakurai blatantly stating that he didn't make any plans to cut anyone would serve as enough evidence. For some reason this quote shook me up.

Anyway, the more I think about it, what reason would Sakurai make Snake the only character he purposely would keep out? Especially when he put in the effort the first time?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Anyway, the more I think about it, what reason would Sakurai make Snake the only character he purposely would keep out? Especially when he put in the effort the first time?
The only way I can see this happening if it was outright rejected on both fronts, i.e. both Kojima and Sakurai agreed to keep out Snake.

I cannot say why, considering I'm neither Kojima or Sakurai. But it's not going to be because Snake doesn't fit in or Snake doesn't have the most recent title on a Nintendo system.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sakurai said there would be cuts prior to Brawl; he made no such statement regarding these two games, quite the opposite in fact.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Sakurai said there would be cuts prior to Brawl; he made no such statement regarding these two games, quite the opposite in fact.
He didn't outright say there would be cuts, but he did say "if I can't bring everyone back, I apologize." The fact that he even mentioned the possibility means that cuts are a prospect he's worried about, otherwise he wouldn't have bothered to even say something on the matter.

Regardless, as mentioned above, excluding Snake (who would be due to business issues between Konami and Nintendo on some level) the only cuts that we should expect are ones that are due to time constraints as he is determined to bring everyone back. It may not work out despite his efforts, but it sounds like he's going to try.

Last edited:

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
I think I should point out that I watched the twitch part where Snake was asked, and Kojima laughed.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Toon Link was the most obvious cut in my mind; being the most obvious clone from Brawl. But he is in. Wolf seems generally balanced and Lucas can piggyback off any buffs Ness receives if relevant.

I think Sakurai could focus on characters and an adventure mode and still bring everyone back with up to 15 newcomers/returning M.I.A veterans.

The adventure mode can be diverse rather than long and redundant. For example: if you are in DK's jungle, you first might have to navigate a platform area with venus fly traps and ruins; then you might have to scale a tree while DK throws barrels down the branches like the old arcade game, and then one can fight DK on top of the canopy Smash-style.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I read on Reddit that Kojima was allegedly laughing or smiling when Snake in Smash was brought up or something.

Not exactly the reaction you'd expect if his character and a great source of his son's enjoyment got axed, eh?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
As long as we're talking about Character getting cut, here are my predictions
Ike because he's not fire emblem's recent shining star anymore
Pokemon Trainer because he was kind of uncoordinated
Wolf because he was a slow clone of Fox, and people want Krystal
Snake, because there has not been an original metal gear game for Nintendo for over ten years. All we got was a remake, but that was it.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
He didn't outright say there would be cuts, but he did say "if I can't bring everyone back, I apologize." The fact that he even mentioned the possibility means that cuts are a prospect he's worried about, otherwise he wouldn't have bothered to even say something on the matter.

Regardless, as mentioned above, excluding Snake (who would be due to business issues between Konami and Nintendo on some level) the only cuts that we should expect are ones that are due to time constraints as he is determined to bring everyone back. It may not work out despite his efforts, but it sounds like he's going to try.
There's a difference between acknowledging the possibility of cuts happening and outright saying there will be cuts, like what he did with Brawl. All about intention.

Has Kojima ever trolled by saying something was unlikely to happen despite him already knowing it was going to happen?
Kojima is of the same mold as Ono and Sakurai.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
R.O.B. because having a controller as a playable character is kinda stupid
Snake, because there has not been an original metal gear game for Nintendo for over ten years. All we got was a remake, but that was it.
Ike is still a pretty big deal to Fire Emblem.
Pokemon Trainer can be fixed
Wolf is very different from Fox. Krystal's not even close to being more requested than either Falco or Wolf. She isn't getting in if one of them gets cut
R.O.B is the G&W equivalent for Brawl. He isn't going anywhere
Snake...what you said didn't matter for Brawl. So that isn't going to matter

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
R.O.B. because having a controller as a playable character is kinda stupid
Ike: that's not how it works, besides he's like the 2nd most inportant FE character, that should be enough.
Pokemon Trainer: then fix him, don't remove him entirely.
Wolf: being a slow clone makes you likely of being cut? Also more people wanted Wolf than Krystal.
R.O.B.: He wouldn't have gotten in to begin with if that were the case.
Snake: he wouldn't have gotten in to begin with if that mattered, in fact ALL Metal Gear games on Nintendo systems were either a remake or a port, none are completely original.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That wasn't an issue back in Brawl, that won't be an issue now.

There's a difference between acknowledging the possibility of cuts happening and outright saying there will be cuts, like what he did with Brawl. All about intention.
But it is a worry of his, which is what I'm saying. Intent doesn't ignore that a warning was given to the fans showing his concern, and we do know by his own words that the increasing roster does get more taxing, so just because he's not looking for cuts like Pichu doesn't mean scenarios can't play out like what happened with Mewtwo.

Personally, I'm hoping he succeeds in getting everyone back, but until every character is playable on the screen in front of us, we can't ignore the possibly that cuts could happen.

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
looks like people are worried over snake being cut I say we should just go with the flow and see what happens personally I'm to excited over the possibility of Yoshi being shown tomorrow to worry about Snake right now

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
What is that thing?
the guy from Rhythm Heaven Fever.

as you can see here:

he's present through a lot of the game. he's the first character you are introduced to in the game, and appears in many of the remix results.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Wolf being replaced by Krystal makes absolutely no sense to me. In terms of likeliness, anyway.

During Brawl, Wolf was already picked over Krystal. Between Brawl and now, nothing has changed in the Star Fox series. So why would anything change in SSB for the Star Fox series?

Perhaps Krystal will be added. Wouldn't mind that. Think she has plenty of basis for a good moveset. But I would not expect her to get in over either Wolf or Falco.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People wanting Wolf to be replaced by Krystal are the people still butthurt over the fact Wolf got in over her.

You know, despite the fact that Wolf had support long before Krystal's was shoehorned in due to a misquote.

?????????????

Smash Master
A Rhythm Heaven character? I've seen a lot of different ideas for that one.

My favorite is Karate Joe.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Wolf being replaced by Krystal makes absolutely no sense to me. In terms of likeliness, anyway.

During Brawl, Wolf was already picked over Krystal. Between Brawl and now, nothing has changed in the Star Fox series. So why would anything change in SSB for the Star Fox series?

Perhaps Krystal will be added. Wouldn't mind that. Think she has plenty of basis for a good moveset. But I would not expect her to get in over either Wolf or Falco.
I agree, although i'm a huge advocate for Krystal's inclusion, it would make no sense to cut Wolf or Falco for her. I say, the full 4 is good, because then we have the full representation for SF :)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Wolf is going to be replaced by anyone it should be: Andross (with a body).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm getting REAL tired of people saying we should replace Falco and/or Wolf with Krystal.

Adding her with the other two is great (assuming we get stuff like Ridley first), but replacing? Nope.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
A Rhythm Heaven character? I've seen a lot of different ideas for that one.

My favorite is Karate Joe.
yeah, karate joe has a lot going for him. he's also one of the few with a clearly viable moveset.

honestly in my opinion why not many people think of a rhythm heaven character is because there wasn't a specific mascot, even if there was a lot of characters.

I feel like Marshall is the closest thing to the mascot, so he should get in over anyone out from Rhythm Heaven. all in my opinion, of course.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm getting REAL tired of people saying we should replace Falco and/or Wolf with Krystal.

Adding her with the other two is great (assuming we get stuff like Ridley first), but replacing? Nope.
I'll be honest with ya, I don't like the idea of cutting characters anymore than you do.
Also, I will admit that I may be biased about Wolf because I just got StarFox Adventures today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom