• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord

This is the roster that I expect for the next game. Maybe without Medusa, or Pac-Man instead of Loyd. In red alternate costumes. In Yellow transformations.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
From a gamplay perspective i wouldn't call Villager simple, so the bowling ball really isn't out of place as a smash.
This is true; perhaps I've been simplifying his moveset in my mind because he visually looks simple, like a character someone new to the series might pick up and try. I should probably get my mind out of that mindset, huh?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Robin is a WHOLE lot more important than Soren though.
That doesn't change the fact that Robin is not used to advertise Awakening. I for one, again putting my Chrom bias aside, simply don't see them bypassing the flagship character.

I mean I think they'd be better off making it a tag team character, but we've never really seen a character beat out the flagship, most iconic character to a game. Hence why I don't see Robin happening unless he's paired with Chrom.

If it does happen, then I'm sure it won't matter. However, a word to the wise would be to not get your hopes up. Just because a character is unique doesn't mean that they will get picked over the more iconic character.

Before somebody says anything about Pikachu, he is constantly an important mascot and always has been for Pokemon. Him getting in over the Trainer has a lot to do with capabilities, and the fact that he was amd still is the mascot.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
That doesn't change the fact that Robin is not used to advertise Awakening. I for one, again putting my Chrom bias aside, simply don't see them bypassing the flagship character.

I mean I think they'd be better off making it a tag team character, but we've never really seen a character beat out the flagship, most iconic character to a game. Hence why I don't see Robin happening unless he's paired with Chrom.

If it does happen, then I'm sure it won't matter. However, a word to tge wise would be to not get your hopes up. Just because a charactef is unique doesn't mean that they will get picked over the more iconic character.

Before somebody says anything about Pikachu, he is constantly an important mascot and always has been for Pokemon. Him getting in over the Trainer has a lot to do with capabilities, and the fact that he was amd still is the mascot.
I don't know about Robin, because just like in the Pokemon games, your avatar can be either Male or Female. That would be pretty confusing if you ask me. If we get a señor character from Awakening, I'd say we'd get Lucina instead.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Why can't Chrom be paired up with Robin? Robin is the one you play as and Chrom is the follower

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Chrom and Lucina showcase the new mechanic of the FE series. As a tagteam, they might be the best option for FE.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't know. The tag team idea isn't bad on paper. But with the Ice Climbers and Rosalina w/ Luma, it doesn't seem as unique anymore. So I can't see the devs making a third tag team, especially since one was just introduced into this installment. And of course, since it seems that making unique characters is more of a priority this installment. Is there anything specific that only Chrom and Lucina can actually do to stand out from the other two tag teams?

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I don't know. The tag team idea isn't bad on paper. But with the Ice Climbers and Rosalina w/ Luma, it doesn't seem as unique anymore. So I can't see the devs making a third tag team, especially since one was just introduced into this installment. And of course, since it seems that making unique characters is more of a priority this installment. Is there anything specific that only Chrom and Lucina can actually do to stand out from the other two tag teams?
And with Diddy(the user) on a tangent about Phantom being Zelda's "Luma", if it was right, which is very, very, very slim, that would make four. So nah. I'd rather keep Marth Ike, and maybe declone Roy, and call it a day.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Maybe have Chrom and Lucina switch in whenever a special is used. Chrom could be a pseudo-clone of Ike and Lucina could be a pseudo-clone of Marth.

D

Deleted member

I see Chrom and Lucina as too similar to function well as a tag team. Sakurai may be able to come up with something interesting, Fire Emblem has many wells of potential to take from, but there are other tag team characters that would be more natural than those two.

I'm thinking it'll be Chrom on his own and Lucina maybe as an assist trophy, although if we're being honest, Tharja is the best representation for what that game's all about.

:007:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Is there anything specific that only Chrom and Lucina can actually do to stand out from the other two tag teams?
Swapping Marvel vs. Capcom style.

Either switching between characters while simultaneously attacking, or bringing out the other character as an assist for extra damage. It wouldn't be trending on any particular mechanic we've seen so far.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Swapping Marvel vs. Capcom style.

Either switching between characters while simultaneously attacking, or bringing out the other character as an assist for extra damage. It wouldn't be trending on any particular mechanic we've seen so far.
That alone would be a great way of making the team more different from the Ice Climbers and the Cosmic Family. Seeing something like this in Smash would be truly exciting since both characters have a great connection with one another.

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
One suggestion would be to make their down special a counter combined with a switch-in, when a successful counter is performed the other character would jump-in, block the attack, and counter. With the increased duration in hit-stun this time around there is definitely a large enough time frame for these series of actions to be performed.

D

Deleted member

So pretty much, the original Diddy/Dixie plan, but with Chrom/Lucina instead.

Staarih

Smash Master
So pretty much, the original Diddy/Dixie plan, but with Chrom/Lucina instead.
When you say it like that, I actually could see Sakurai revisiting the idea, just with new characters (Chrom & Lucina), since obviously Diddy is alone now. Oh boy, I may be starting to like the idea.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Sakurai does want to revisit the tagteam mechanic, it seems he can choose Chrom and Lucina from FE or two of the lesser apes from DK Kountry.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I was thinking Swanky Kong paired up with Wrinkly Kong (as a ghost).

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I don't really think Chrom and Lucina would compliment that style well. In Awaknening it's a little more of the stuff seen in SFxTK in a sense. They are both on the screen but one attacks at a time.
I'd rather see MVC switching with a duo that actually acts like that in battle.
Like Prometheus & Pandora. But then Megaman happened.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A Chromcina duo would be interesting, but it would take up lots of precious development time.
I wouldn't complain about getting it but I don't want any more duos or tag teams.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind the tag team but there's nothing interesting about it. Ice Climbers is the best kind of tag team as they have a really fresh mechanic that is completely unique. Chrom and Lucina is two sword fighters paired up, not that they're undeserving by themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wouldn't mind the tag team but there's nothing interesting about it. Ice Climbers is the best kind of tag team as they have a really fresh mechanic that is completely unique. Chrom and Lucina is two sword fighters paired up, not that they're undeserving by themselves.
Exactly. What's wrong with a few semi-clones when the important newcomers like Ridley are finished?

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind if FE was skipped and other sword characters from other series were fleshed out. Takamaru and Shulk (or Ghirahim :lick:).

As for remaining newcomers, I think we're owed a large character and a "swordsman" of some kind, two archetypes that have appeared in all the previous Smashes.

Obvious candidates for a large character are Ridley and King K. Rool. Both are quite popular, but the former has a better chance, in my opinion.

As for the swordsman, which I previously put in rabbit-ear quotes, it could be anyone who attacks primarily with a long-reaching hitbox. If the Palutena rumor is true, depending on how she uses her staff, she could fill the role as Smash 4's "swordsman." An ironic role for a character who has no sword and isn't a man, hm? Alternatively, characters like Takamaru, Isaac, Shulk and Chrom are highly requested, so there's a bit of competition for this role and I don't think we'll see them all.

Following Pit's successful revival, we may also get a retro character given a massive "twenty years pass overnight" re-design just like Pit. Mach Rider's trophy in Melee had a totally new and intricate design, which I wonder if Sakurai was ever going to use for a playable character, or ever will. Takamaru could get this treatment, as I don't see any of his three existing designs making it into Smash.

And just a personal desire of mine, I'd like a character from one of those action puzzle games that have all but gone extinct these days. By this, I mean games like Bubble Bobble, Adventures of Lolo, or Mole Mania. It's a genre I love, and I want to see Muddy or Lolo get some massive respect!

Funky + Lanky tag-team anyone?
Rimshot for the lesser ape joke!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well if we have a guy that only punches, it is only fair that we have a guy who only throws bombs.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well if we have a guy that only punches, it is only fair that we have a guy who only throws bombs.
But he throws them in four directions. That. Is. Special.
But seriously, I really have started to like Snake. So let's not cut him.

I still doubt it will happen because Kojima said it was in Sakurai's hands.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So what do you guys think of this? http://www.examiner.com/article/snake-unlikely-to-be-new-smash-bros?cid=rss

In a Q/A twitch stream, Kojima was asked about Snake in the next Smash bros:
"I'm not working on that game, but i don't think it's likely. If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, hopefully we see Snake."
Reminds of the time SEGA staff members were asked if Sonic was going to be in Super Smash Bros. 4 and their response was either "We don't know" or "I'd love Sonic in the next Smash game!"

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Reminds of the time SEGA staff members were asked if Sonic was going to be in Super Smash Bros. 4 and their response was either "We don't know" or "I'd love Sonic in the next Smash game!"
It just shows how much Sakurai has the final say on.

...can I talk about Midna & Ghirahim for a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom