• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There was never any official franchise limit talk.

Regardless, 5 characters just "feels" like it's enough for Mario.
If only people thought that way about the Zelda franchise, since Sheik does technically count as a 5th Zelda rep; despite being Zelda's transformation, Sheik does play like a completely different character, and doesn't suffer from the flaws that the Pokemon Trainer has.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If Toad can't provide anything notably new to offer by SSB5, I don't think he's going to get in Smash ever.
Pretty much, if Nintendo doesn't make him much different than still be located to supporter-role (aka meat shield), then Toad has not much chance. Mario-roster might be good as it is perhaps even then.

D

Deleted member

And Slippy Toad.

No, not the one from Star Fox. a Toad wearing a Slippy outfit. :troll:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Shiny Palkia for Smash. :troll:

OK now let's have a serious discussion, do you guys think we could get both Dixie and K. Rool? Or it is one only?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

OK now let's have a serious discussion, do you guys think we could get both Dixie and K. Rool? Or it is one only?
I think we could, but it's unlikely. I have trouble saying which one's more likely... and it actually is entirely possible that we won't get either. My vote would be for the big K, though as time goes on my optimism is dropping a bit.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So no one else thinks that Villager's Forward Smash could be the Bowling Ball with various tilts?

Down tilt: Drop the ball
Forward tilt: Roll the ball
Up tilt: Heave the ball upwards

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
So no one else thinks that Villager's Forward Smash could be the Bowling Ball with various tilts?

Down tilt: Drop the ball
Forward tilt: Roll the ball
Up tilt: Heave the ball upwards
I mean, it's possible? I had kind of assumed a down smash role for it though. His moveset seems quite hard to figure out thus far. T_T

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Seems a tad greedy for people to be wanting a sixth Mario character, especially when all us Metroid fans have gotten since the first game is Samus changing her clothes.

Anyway, I figured I'd go ahead and throw out there that I don't believe we'll be getting another "What dafuq is this?" character. People seem to be fairly sure that it's going to happen, but I don't really see why it would.

inb4 diskun confirmed

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Diskun doesn't have alot of potential, all he does is copy people's abilities, he's really not the best choice.
Hanafuda is the only effective option left, the only problem is that we never saw a non-videogame character playable in the game. :p

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
There's a male/female option with robin as a suggested name. Sounds pretty avatar to me.
What difference does gender make? The fact that they even have a suggested name means they're acknowledged as a character the same way Link and Ness are. I already explained how Villager and Mii are closer examples to being an avatar in that they remain nameless. You've yet to address that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The most notable part where Robin fails is the marketability.

I simply do not see Robin getting in over Chrom. I just don't.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Maybe. In each installment of the series, at least one major franchise had added more than one new playable character. And this is, for the most part, not counting clones. Now the real question is whether or not which series would be lucky enough to have this happen to them. I would say Donkey Kong seems the most likely to have this happen.

64 had Mario and Luigi / Pikachu and Jigglypuff.
Melee had Bowser and Peach / Zelda and Ganon.
Brawl had Meta-Knight and Dedede / Lucario and Pokemon Trainer.

Are we seriously considering Robin just for the sake of a gender change?
No. Not with me anyway. I think the magic stuff should make them a somewhat worthwhile choice. Nothing more, nothing less.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Is it me or I´m the only one that would prefer to see Andy, Sam, Max or Nell before a new comer from Fire Emblem.
.n_n.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I am comfortable where Mario is now. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina & Luma, and Bowser. Plus, Yoshi really does feel like another Mario character even if he isn't counted as one.

Toad is the only one that seems missing and even so, he is at least counted as an asset of Peach.

* And I would rather see any Koopling over Bowser Jr.
The Koopalings come in a package, Bowserlick. You either get 'em all, or none at all. Like with Mario Kart 8.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
So, I was looking around for franchises never mentioned.
And I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Clash
Meet Battle Clash. A light gun game developed by Nintendo.
While I see trophy at most, at this rate I'm not sure...
The main character is Mike Anderson and there are two games from that series, it could be cool to have an Assist Trophy from that game where you summon Mike and then he summons his mecha to wreck the place XD.
.n_n.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The Koopalings come in a package, Bowserlick. You either get 'em all, or none at all. Like with Mario Kart 8.
Maybe in a Mario character only Smash then. Roy and Martin Koopa Jr. are the best.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hanafuda is the only effective option left, the only problem is that we never saw a non-videogame character playable in the game. :p
Doesn't ROB count as a non-game character since he was pretty much a toy (Before making appearances in F-Zero, Mario Kart, etc.)?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Doesn't ROB count as a non-game character since he was pretty much a toy (Before making appearances in F-Zero, Mario Kart, etc.)?
Correct. However, ROB pretty much saved the entire gaming industry by teaching that games weren't weapons of mass destruction and evil, but instead a fun toy. He was bundled with Gyromite, a game that required him to play.
He's a historical character, much like Game & Watch, and has little reason to get cut.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I think his shovel scoop on both sides of him is his Down Smash.
You mean this, correct?

It's primarily down angled, and his bowling ball was shown to be what was his down tilt. As his down special appears to be the Tree, I would safely assume this is his down smash. There's even a small flash indicating a charge at the beginning of the move, hinting that the gameplay was meaning to charge the attack but canceled into a regular one. It can be assumed the charge will not only increase damage but time stuck into the ground as well, eh?

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
His down tilt is plucking weeds. If his shovel is Down Smash and his tree is Down Special then what can the Bowling Ball be?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
His down tilt is plucking weeds. If his shovel is Down Smash and his tree is Down Special then what can the Bowling Ball be?
Upon inspection...
It appears to not be a Smash attack. In addition, he appears to move it forward, and acts as a heavy meteor weapon. Judging by the properties, I'd guess it's a side tilt with a heavy startup.
If not that, then it could be his forward Smash, but that's doubtful.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Hmm. It does not have the flash. But his side tilt looks like an umbrella. Could the Bowling Ball be his jab and the boxing gloves his Forward Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom