• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
How can someone prefer Braxien or Delphox over Charizard? Chespin or Quiladin over Ivysaur?
Each Pokemon in Pokemon Trainer have their own fanbase. If PT is cut, we will have 3 different groups of fans sad. We have lots of leaks with Charizard and without Squirtle and Ivysaur. Why? The peaple love Charizard. PT was an inteligent way to bring three (or four if you're counting Red) different popular characters without burn 3 different slots. Keep in mind: Red and Charizard are enough to bring PT back.
Guys, how can the 6th gen be represented? Megas. Mewtwo, Lucario, Charizard. 3 different 6 gen reps. Why we need more?

D

Deleted member

Honestly the problem with Pokemon Trainer is after being added, there is so much work to be done to improve his mechanics and the individual sets, mostly for Ivysaur and Charizard. At times like that I wish Project M was just stolen by Sakurai, as that's basically the perfect way to make those characters, whereas Sakurai only has limited time. The one thing he obviously needs to do is drop the stamina system entirely, though it makes Red a little pointless. It all needs to be re-thought, but I agree just removing three/four characters is extreme and would upset many fans.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
They could reverse the Stamina. Instead of weaken the pokemon after a battle time, they could make the pokemon stronger after switching. They could increase specific good points of each pokemon, for example, before switching, the speed, jump and the shield of Squirtle works better, the damage dealing and grabbing proprieties of Ivysaur works better, and the knockback of Charizard goes stronger. After a battle time, they should return to normal. It would encourage the player the switching, but would not force. It would be positive, not negative.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
They could reverse the Stamina. Instead of weaken the pokemon after a battle time, they could make the pokemon stronger after switching. They could increase specific good points of each pokemon, for example, before switching, the speed, jump and the shield of Squirtle works better, the damage dealing and grabing proprieties of Ivysaur works better, and the knockback of Charizard goes stronger. After a battle time, they should return to normal. It would encourage the player the switching, but would not force. It would be positive, not negative.
.......um, wouldn't that still technically be the same, but just giving them buffs?

D

Deleted member

Not a bad idea. I have a friend who made a moveset out of several Pokemon where switching in buffed them for a short period of time, and in another set when you switch Pokemon they have a Marvel vs Capcom-like support attack as they leave. There are many ways to fix the stamina mechanic and make the three Pokemon useful on their own without invalidating Red.

As long as the buff was only temporary on switch-in or something, that'd be a good enough reason to ever switch. The problem now is not only the stamina forcing you to switch, but that switching leaves you open to punishment very hard. It's basically a smash attack... without the attack part.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
How can someone prefer Braxien or Delphox over Charizard? Chespin or Quiladin over Ivysaur?
Reading this makes me feel bad for having an opinion that the Kanto starters aren't the greatest thing ever.

Am I the only person on the planet that thinks Charizards actually got a really lame design?

Pokemon Trainer's a good idea, and the Kantos are HIGHLY unlikely to be replaced, but god damn is Charizard not the most overrated Pokemon on the planet?

I really wouldn't mind a shake up with the Trainer's Pokemon, but it's never happening. Zard is just too popular.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I always preferred Venusaur. I like all the Kanto starters and it's obvious why they chose those forms, but yeah, Charizard is wildly overrated. However, them's the breaks when it comes to a gargantuan choice of Pokemon, you have to go with what's popular.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Reading this makes me feel bad for having an opinion that the Kanto starters aren't the greatest thing ever.
I really wouldn't mind a shake up with the Trainer's Pokemon, but it's never happening. Zard is just too popular.
I really don't understand why Zard is too Popular. I love the Kanto Starers, but I prefer Venusaur. Over Charizard, I prefer lots of other pokemon including other starters. I love Chesnaught, Serperior, Delphox, Feraligatr, Samurott, etc. I said it because, overall, Charizard is the most popular pokemon in the world before Pikachu and maybe Meowth. It was featured in XY too, the developers would not prefer Delphox or Greninja (Both great desings), over the most popular starters core.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

Am I the only person on the planet that thinks Charizards actually got a really lame design?

Pokemon Trainer's a good idea, and the Kantos are HIGHLY unlikely to be replaced, but god damn is Charizard not the most overrated Pokemon on the planet?

I don't think Charizard is "lame", but I do agree that it's overrated.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I can almost guarantee that Pokemon Trainer will not be changed. Why you ask?

1) Super Iconic characters (lets face it, nothing beats the Kanto Starters)
2) Recent Pokemon Standard (every game, the trainer would need to be renewed)
3) Not cost effective by character creating standards (3 new characters in one slot vs. 3 characters in 3 different slots)

I mean honestly, I don't think it gets any more cut and dry than that. That's basically it.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I dislike Charizard because of the Zardwads. (Fanboys who treat Charizard as Arceaus and/or Mew).

I always choose Bulbasaur, but I also liked Squirtle. I feel that I like all the fire starters except for Mr. Overrated and maybe Inferape (too similar to Blaziken if you ask me).

I would love Hoenn Trainer or Kalos Trainer, but Red isn't going anywhere.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I can almost guarantee that Pokemon Trainer will not be trained. Why you ask?

3) Not cost effective by character creating standards (3 new characters in one slot vs. 3 characters in 3 different slots)

I mean honestly, I don't think it gets any more cut and dry than that. That's basically it.
The new trainer is basically the new Diddy and Dixie.

An idea that is clearly going to be denied but people will still say it will happen.

D

Deleted member

I can almost guarantee that Pokemon Trainer will not be trained. Why you ask?

Good points. Setting a trend now of three new characters every Smash Bros would be suicidal, he'll just stick with the old Kanto starters. Not to mention the fan backlash if he removes those for a lesser-known Johto trainer or beyond - none are as iconic as Red.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Pokemon Trainer? I kinda sorta doubt his return as he originally appeared in brawl as he did in gen 3, plus he was a very complicated character. At first I was excited by the Pokemon Trainer, but he didn't turn out to be as fun as he sounded.

Staarih

Smash Master
Charizard isn't going anywhere, that's for sure. I could see Ivysaur and Squirtle replaced though (especially the latter with Froakie, as they seem to be pushing Kalos and I could see it work very similarly to Squirtle), but then again the Kanto starters were also very prominent in Kalos, so they will probably stay.

However, my current dreamy, non-realistic, Trainer would have a fully evolved team of Charizard, Serperior and Greninja. I can't be the only one who would like to see how they'd manage a snake-like figure in Smash hahaha!

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Charizard isn't going anywhere, that's for sure. I could see Ivysaur and Squirtle replaced though (especially the latter with Froakie, as they seem to be pushing Kalos and I could see it work very similarly to Squirtle), but then again the Kanto starters were also very prominent in Kalos, so they will probably stay.

However, my current dreamy, non-realistic, Trainer would have a fully evolved team of Charizard, Serperior and Greninja. I can't be the only one who would like to see how they'd manage a snake-like figure in Smash hahaha!
Actually i would not mind if they had Charizard as his own separate charcter. Maybe his Down B turns him into Mega Charizard X and his final smash turns him into Mega Charizard Y

D

Deleted member

If the roster space weren't so limited, I'd not mind some new Pokemon starters, but they're really far down the totem pole. To get rid of three perfectly fine characters for new ones is a huge waste and adding three extras to give Pokemon something like ten reps is way too much time dedicated to one series over all the others.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
Is Paper Mario someone that people expect/want?
TYD was prime. Plus he decent move set potential.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So the Bowling Ball. Could this be a Forward Smash with tilts.

Down tilt can drop the Bowling Ball, forward can roll the Ball, and Up tilt could heave the Bowling Ball in the air.

D

Deleted member

Wii Fit Trainer's playstyle seems to be that she has no playstyle. Lots of melee moves, very random hitboxes on yoga poses and so on to make an unpredictable character who fights from a close range but using attacks that allow for dodging and getting into a good position. It's very simple, but makes sense for that kind of straightforward joke character.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
Has there been any official talk of franchise limits for SSB4? I know there was for Brawl, but that could be irrelevant now.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The Wii Fit Trainer has large hit boxes. As long as she is attacking, she is a moving hitbox because her yoga positions hit on more then one side.

I think she wants to be constantly in her opponent's face. Do not let them breath.

Her volleyball is an approach option. Hit the ball in the direction of your opponent and while they deal with that, run in for the combos.

Basically a stand alone Sheik with more killing options and less speed.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If were relating to heathy lifestyle, I think the possible playstyle for her is that the more you move and attack, the better stats and speed you have. So if you constantly moving actively(like a Melee player), you get rewarded with better strength.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If were relating to heathy lifestyle, I think the possible playstyle for her is that the more you move and attack, the better stats and speed you have. So if you constantly moving actively(like a Melee player), you get rewarded with better strength.
She doesn't need a mechanic. Her stats and large hitboxes make it rewarding to constantly be on the offensive. If she is far away from her opponent or on the defensive, her tall frame and lack of a fast projectile (and possibly lack of a counter or reflector) will get her in trouble.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Has there been any official talk of franchise limits for SSB4? I know there was for Brawl, but that could be irrelevant now.
There was never any official franchise limit talk.

Regardless, 5 characters just "feels" like it's enough for Mario.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No, but it should be assumed Mario isn't going to be getting a sixth. There are several reasons for there not to be a sixth.

1) Series balance criteria from Sakurai
2) Less newcomers
3) Focus on new series material

These three are really limiting the concept of Mario getting another. Mario is probably my favorite series and I would be upset if it got another if I'm being honest.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I am comfortable where Mario is now. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina & Luma, and Bowser. Plus, Yoshi really does feel like another Mario character even if he isn't counted as one.

Toad is the only one that seems missing and even so, he is at least counted as an asset of Peach.

* And I would rather see any Koopling over Bowser Jr.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
No, but it should be assumed Mario isn't going to be getting a sixth. There are several reasons for there not to be a sixth.

1) Series balance criteria from Sakurai
2) Less newcomers
3) Focus on new series material

These three are really limiting the concept of Mario getting another. Mario is probably my favorite series and I would be upset if it got another if I'm being honest.
I hope you don't mind my word, but the day that a sixth mario character is announced for one title might come, but it ain't happening this time. As far as I'm concerned, the mario franchise may have too many characters already, there's no proof of a sixth character from Mario coming in, so I'd agree that the Mario franchise is set. We would be more likely to see a second Sonic character or a fifth rep from either the Zelda or Pokemon franchises before we get a sixth Mario rep. Even for a franchise just as famous as Mario, five reps is enough.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I also suspect on we not getting a sixth Mario-newcomer for this installment, especially due Rosalina driving plenty enough the Mario-representation of the last gen, The Super Mario Galaxys (which we all agree being phenomenal in it's time). Toad would be better off to SSB5, incase that one's gonna get us Wii U-game presentation (in which case we'll see definitely something related to SM3DW)

To me Toad might be the next logical newcomer unless Bowser Jr. manages to jump up in means of importance and roles in some fashion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom