• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
It's possible that the Villager simply executed the attack too quick for him to be flashing.
There's also a lot of possible moves that we see having horizontal trajectories that side of a Side Smash.
His dash attack is him falling with a potted plant.
However, there's also an Umbrella attack seen in a POTD that seems to be a possible Side Smash as it appears to have two hits attached when he opens and closes the parasol. His up tilt is the stick twirl. Could this Umbrella attack be an unorthodox up Smash?
In addition, the bowling ball is one possibility.
The boxing gloves appear to be his jab, but could be something else.
His specials are all already confirmed.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It could be a troll move by Sakurai, the bowling ball might be a new item and Villager just used his collect ability on it then dropped it at a later time.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It could be a troll move by Sakurai, the bowling ball might be a new item and Villager just used his collect ability on it then dropped it at a later time.
Well, as smart as that would be, it was kinda disproven. Didn't Sakurai say in the General Direct that Villager can do combos "like shoveling and a bowling ball"?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Is there any chance of characters having different moveset combinations due to customization? I can't remember if Sakurai said anything on this matter...

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I think the umbrella is a side tilt. God I hate that stick move it seems so useless. . . Where does it even come from? Maybe it's a taunt but I highly doubt that.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Is there any chance of characters having different moveset combinations due to customization? I can't remember if Sakurai said anything on this matter...
It's possible, but something I consider highly unlikely. We are going to have some sort of customization for certain, but what it is exactly is unknown. Personally, I would rather it not be moveset combinations.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Now that someone mentioned it, we haven't heard much about customization. All we know is that it's apparently in the game in some form. Or at least in the 3DS version. I remember Sakurai saying something about changing the directions of attacks.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's like you hate the idea of Fire Emblem being diverse or something.
It's like I don't want to be disappointed or something.
Personally I don't even care for Robin, but expecting something incredibly unique from Fire Emblem this time around, especially considering the success of Awakening, is setting yourself up for disappointment. It's possible, but not probable.
Plus Scoliosis never said he didn't want it, he said he expects Chrom. Like myself.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Now that someone mentioned it, we haven't heard much about customization. All we know is that it's apparently in the game in some form. Or at least in the 3DS version. I remember Sakurai saying something about changing the directions of attacks.
So about this whole customization thing, I'm assuming that we cannot expect ourselves to be able to create a character, because
1. That sounds too much like fantasy
2. Sakurai has given no hints to that
3. Honestly, what good will it do?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
inb4 customization really means you can put your Mii in the game.
It would make sense to me.
I've seen people throw around the idea of switching PT's Pokémon, but realistically that would take even more development time than Trainer does already.
On a side note custom music would rock. No punintendo.

Sorry for the double post, mods, everyone, but I'm just giving this thread a boost because I visit in short bursts and whenever I'm on nobody's here.
So I will say something completely debatable so we can get this thread rolling again.
I think it is possible that we get Kalos Trainer instead of Pokémon Trainer.
No probable, but pretty possible.
Greninja is an awesome Pokémon, and very well received by the Pokémon community.
The other two can be Chespin and Braxien. You know, fillers.
Come on, we all know that Pokémon Trainer's main appeal was Charizard. So Greninja can be this Trainer's Charizard I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I would like to at least have a Pokemon newcomer, there's too many potential character to try make playable and sticking to Brawl+Mewtwo is a bad way to go, there's too many fresh ideas to be had.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would like to at least have a Pokemon newcomer, there's too many potential character to try make playable and sticking to Brawl+Mewtwo is a bad way to go, there's too many fresh ideas to be had.
Well we can always have six Mario characters and six Pokémon characters.
Then we can get Paper Mario and Meowth or Hawlucha.
And I would die a happy man.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Brawl + Mewtwo may be too safe for your tastes and bland, but that's what it is; It's safe. Sakurai may go that route. We're not getting 6 slots on anything but Mario, and the PT is the really touchy issue. I doubt Sakurai would make a whole new trainer when time is an issue.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Brawl + Mewtwo may be too safe for your tastes and bland, but that's what it is; It's safe. Sakurai may go that route. We're not getting 6 slots on anything but Mario, and the PT is the really touchy issue. I doubt Sakurai would make a whole new trainer when time is an issue.
If the idea is worth replacing the kanto Pokemon Trainer, he'll go for it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So about this whole customization thing, I'm assuming that we cannot expect ourselves to be able to create a character, because
1. That sounds too much like fantasy
2. Sakurai has given no hints to that
3. Honestly, what good will it do?
I know we aren't getting our own characters. That'd be kind of dumb for this kind of series, whose main selling point is playing as all of your favorite characters from Nintendo. I do remember something about having some form of customization.

inb4 customization really means you can put your Mii in the game.
It would make sense to me.
I've seen people throw around the idea of switching PT's Pokémon, but realistically that would take even more development time than Trainer does already.
On a side note custom music would rock. No punintendo.
Maybe. But if I see something similar to the Stickers in Brawl being implemented. So we wouldn't get any major changes to our characters, but still something that'd be interesting to screw around outside of any competitive battles.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
But the issue is would such idea be worth it?
Pokemon Trainer was no doubt the most unique newcomer in Brawl, despite crappy, crappy final execution.
Replacing the most iconic Pokemon (as Gens are overglorified sequels) would not really make any sense whatsoever. Overrepping a Gen doesn't really exist, and recency is not always the rule in Pokemon. Gen I showcases Pokemon best, I don't really see replacing all of his Pokemon a great time investment or a great idea when there's already a mechanic that needs fixing before anything else.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I really, really doubt the Kalos Trainer will be a new character, replacing Kanto Trainer because
-Sakurai already stated that he's trying to bring everyone back, meaning no replacements
-Kanto's Pokemon are alot more iconic than Kalos'
-In Pokemon X and Y, the Kanto trio seemed to have alot more focus on them than the Kalos trio.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
But it likely isn't. And do you really want to hear any of the whining that would take place if any of those Pokemon were replaced with another? Remember how pissy and stupid a good chunk of the internet got when Lucario was confirmed to be in Smash 4? Because it somehow magically meant Mewtwo was out, despite the fact that no hints were given that was the case. And that they were both planned for Brawl.

That's a pretty big "if".
Of course it is. But it's at least a little interesting to talk about.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Call me a pessimist, but I have trouble seeing character customization being implemented in a way that's not either barebones (e.g. Stage Builder 1.0), a massive resource vacuum (e.g. the SSE), or some grotesque combination of the two.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I could accept a different trainer, but God would I miss the original trio.
:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:
:crying:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I've seen the opposite being more common.

Whining increasing when a character is implemented poorly, which is more common then you think.
Not to be too asinine but I think you might mean the contrapositive? Still not an exact match, but the logical opposite of whining decreasing when characters are done well is whining increasing when characters are done well.

The site Golden Lotus linked to is sensible, but I must admit I have a hard time with the bowling bawl being a forward smash unless it's similar to Little Mac's fsmash as suggested a few pages back. That seems to technical or complex for the villager, who looks like a simple character, but perhaps appearances are deceiving?

As for the (renewed!) FE argument, I have to admit that with Chrom's popularity with the general public (not this forum) he seems like a lock for this game. Setting aside "Ermagerd another blue haired swordsman" for a moment, FE: Awakening is regarded as one of the best FE's of all time and the saviour of the series. Chrom is the main protagonist from the game, and along with this he's one of the most popular lords in his own right. I would be absolutely flabbergasted if he was not playable in some format or another. Will it be with Lucina or Robin as a duo? Will he be on his own? What will his moveset play like? These are questions I don't have the answer to, but I'm convinced he'll be included as playable in some format or another. The only real argument is that the Smash community wants Ike and Marth to remain, but don't want three blue-haired swordsmen. All I can say to that if that you can't have your cake and eat it too, accept one or the other. Either they all make it in, or someone gets cut, and it doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure out who.

As fun as Anna or Tiki would be, I can't see in. Robin would also be really cool and he's my favourite pick for a FE Awakening rep but it feels somehow unlikely. I prefer Lucina to Chrom as well but she's designed to look close enough to Marth to convince people she is Marth, so she's even worse off for the uniqueness argument.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Only reason I'd want Kanto Trainer gone is Charizard. I hate it for some reason. Squirtle and Ivysaur are awesome though.

That being said, Kalos Trainer would be so much better, but you know, not iconic enough. Definitely my favorite group of starters(except for maybe the Hoenn ones).

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The thing about Pokemon is that no other newcomers are that appealing to me. I'm very content with Brawl + Mewtwo, nothing else really grabs my attention.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I think Sakurai meant customization in a purely cosmetic fasion. I truly think the only real customization we'd be seeing, besides Stage Builder, are character skins, and also an online profile of some sorts.

Oh, and on the topic of Kanto Trainer, I see no reason for him to be cut or altered in the slightest (apart from a female skin,) simply because he/she are icons of the Pokemon franchise. Even though we're ages past 1st gen, the original trainer, to many fans, is the most symbolic character in the Pokemon series. I think a role that big is one that gives Kanto Trainer that security of inclusion. Not to mention Twitch plays Pokemon:troll:

By the way, am I the ONLY person on this site that prefers Swampert over all the other starters?

?????????????

Smash Master
Call me a pessimist, but I have trouble seeing character customization being implemented in a way that's not either barebones (e.g. Stage Builder 1.0), a massive resource vacuum (e.g. the SSE), or some grotesque combination of the two.
I have trouble breaking away from that mindset as well. But Namco's done pretty cool stuff with character customization with their own fighting games. I just wonder if they'd really go that...intricate with SSB?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's like you hate the idea of Fire Emblem being diverse or something.
No. That's not it.

I just feel as if unique qualities will not trump iconic status. Because like it or not, Chrom would be, marketing wise, probably the better character.

Obviously he's not the shiniest gem in the mine, but I don't think he would be a complete bs waste of time clone.

My example of this situation, is Ike and Soren. Sakurai, assuming he worried about uniqueness around Brawl's time, could have asked for something that didn't involve swords. Soren is basically the equivalent of Robin. Important and unique.

However, even by altering his stats, Ike was made unique. Most likely because Ike is the All-Star character of Path of Radiance, not Soren.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No. That's not it.

I just feel as if unique qualities will not trump iconic status. Because like it or not, Chrom would be, marketing wise, probably the better character.

Obviously he's not the shiniest gem in the mine, but I don't think he would be a complete bs waste of time clone.

My example of this situation, is Ike and Soren. Sakurai, assuming he worried about uniqueness around Brawl's time, could have asked for something that didn't involve swords. Soren is basically the equivalent of Robin. Important and unique.

However, even by altering his stats, Ike was made unique. Most likely because Ike is the All-Star character of Path of Radiance, not Soren.
Robin is a WHOLE lot more important than Soren though.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
The site Golden Lotus linked to is sensible, but I must admit I have a hard time with the bowling bawl being a forward smash unless it's similar to Little Mac's fsmash as suggested a few pages back. That seems to technical or complex for the villager, who looks like a simple character, but perhaps appearances are deceiving?
From a gamplay perspective i wouldn't call Villager simple, so the bowling ball really isn't out of place as a smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom