• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Is that your video, if so, no offense, but you should really consider proof-reading your content for grammatical errors.

As for potential Metroid newcomers, I don't necessarily see any aside from Ridley. I wouldn't be opposed to Higgs or Dark Samus, but that doesn't alter the notion that Ridley is the most desirable/warranted character from Metroid. The other additions would feel slightly forced in my opinion. If Ridley isn't included in Smash 4, I would be content with just Zero-Suit Samus and Samus. I would much rather see an additional F-Zero representative if it comes down to adding a character to one of the original series that is under-represented. I might even prefer Porky, another Mother representative, before seeing another Metroid character.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
New roster time! Note: This isn't a replacement for my regular roster, nor is it a prediction roster. Just kind of a hypothetical thing.

Still no cuts, but some of my newcomer choices are different: Only K. Rool, no Dixie, fifth Zelda character (put whoever you want where the Salesman is), Tiki instead of Roy (making this 14 newcomers instead of 13), still has Ridley, Palutena, Krystal, Isaac, Takamaru, Lip, and Pac-Man. Still no Little Mac.

[collapse=] Bonus 100 character just for fun roster with obligatory RareWare section! But for this one, I need input from you guys.

I need five characters from unrepped series to fill in the middle, that's five different series, so only one main character each.
Two Pokemon reps, one from gen two, one from three, I really can't think of any of them that would fit well, but I'm sure the lot of you are creative enough.
Four third party reps, but only one per company, so no more Sonic characters and no Simon (sadly). Note: Geno counts as the Squeenix rep.
There's also the option of two reps per third party, in which case Geno would be dropped in favour of Simon and someone from Sega/Namco/Capcom/Ubisoft.
[/collapse]
Your first roster I like except for tiki, lip and happy salesman otherwise it lookes great.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
New roster time! Note: This isn't a replacement for my regular roster, nor is it a prediction roster. Just kind of a hypothetical thing.

Still no cuts, but some of my newcomer choices are different: Only K. Rool, no Dixie, fifth Zelda character (put whoever you want where the Salesman is), Tiki instead of Roy (making this 14 newcomers instead of 13), still has Ridley, Palutena, Krystal, Isaac, Takamaru, Lip, and Pac-Man. Still no Little Mac.

[collapse=] Bonus 100 character just for fun roster with obligatory RareWare section! But for this one, I need input from you guys.

I need five characters from unrepped series to fill in the middle, that's five different series, so only one main character each.
Two Pokemon reps, one from gen two, one from three, I really can't think of any of them that would fit well, but I'm sure the lot of you are creative enough.
Four third party reps, but only one per company, so no more Sonic characters and no Simon (sadly). Note: Geno counts as the Squeenix rep.
There's also the option of two reps per third party, in which case Geno would be dropped in favour of Simon and someone from Sega/Namco/Capcom/Ubisoft.
[/collapse]
I approve of Tiki and Pac-Man. A lot. I like the roster.

And when it comes to characters looking and playing uniquely, I agree entirely. Wolf and Roy prove that visual uniqueness is important while Rosalina, Mega Man, and Willager all show that moveset uniqueness is important this time around. However, don't forget Wii Fit Trainer. I think she was mainly added because her fighting looks visually interesting. She's the odd one out in that she seems a bit wireframe-y when it comes to attacks, but, if she was added due to looking distinct when fighting, she still fills the uniqueness criteria.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Untitled-1.png

60-character roster. No cuts. (Tell me if I forgot anyone) Bada boom. Living on the edge instead of playing it safe.

Andy, Porky, Medeus, and Dixie/Kiddy were chosen partially because I saw unique playstyle potential with them. (and because I just like them)

Medeus can be swapped out for either Robin/Avatar, Anna, Chrom & Lucina, or Chrom by himself.

Discuss. You'll probably hate and disagree with it, but whatever.

-----

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I know I should like this roster because it has (almost) everyone I want in it, but...

...there's just so much fluff. Dr. Mario, Pichu, Medeus, Pokey, Sheriff, Young Link, Meowth, Tingle...I know it's supposed to be a huge roster, you're digging deep, and you're bringing everyone from Melee back, too, but...

...there's a reason a lot of these characters were cut. I dunno. It just seems like a mess to me.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
View attachment 8104

60-character roster. No cuts. (Tell me if I forgot anyone) Bada boom. Living on the edge instead of playing it safe.

Andy, Porky, Medeus, and Dixie/Kiddy were chosen partially because I saw unique playstyle potential with them. (and because I just like them)

Medeus can be swapped out for either Robin/Avatar, Anna, Chrom & Lucina, or Chrom by himself.

-----
Would be pretty happy with this aside from Kiddy Kong with Dixie, Young Link, Roy and the fact that you gave F-Zero, Earthbound, and Wario more characters, but didn't give Pikmin a new one.

Speaking of which, almost nobody puts new Pikmin characters on their rosters, and it makes meh sad. :c

D

Deleted member

I feel as though I am using the literal definition of the word "considered." Not the practical application of the definition ascribed to Smash. I apologize.

No offense, but the Japanese consumer-base is not nearly as important (obviously it is to Sakurai, which is what you are getting at, but honestly, when it comes down to it; Ridley will be included based on his popularity in the West). His appearance did; however, give him Smash relevance, even if it wasn't perceived as such. Even in Japan.
Apology accepted.

Whether or not the Japanese consumer-base is more "important" in regards to sales (in which I agree that it isn't; Smash from what I understand gets more of its revenue from outside Japan), it's the one that Sakurai panders to the most. He is aware of requests outside Japan (even outright confirming it when discussing about Wii Fit Trainer), but even then, Ridley didn't have as strong of a following back when Sakurai was deciding on Brawl's roster. I would argue that even someone like Pit had a much stronger following, considering Sakurai brought up his worldwide popularity as reason he included him. And don't even get me started on Sonic, who had an outright MASSIVE following since pre-Brawl (which that one April Fools joke probably sparked). And that following was majority outside Japan, much like Ridley.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Speaking of which, almost nobody puts new Pikmin characters on their rosters, and it makes meh sad. :c
The only characters worth talking about within Pikmin are the Pikmin themselves, and they are represented through Olimar. The Captains serve their purpose, and Olimar's notes are interesting, but the real meat of the game are the Pikmin (quite literally). As long as we have them, I don't feel that Pikmin will ever need another rep.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Would be pretty happy with this aside from Kiddy Kong with Dixie, Young Link, Roy and the fact that you gave F-Zero, Earthbound, and Wario more characters, but didn't give Pikmin a new one.

I considered giving Yoshi and Pikmin a second character each, but I thought it'd be too much...

----

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
The only characters worth talking about within Pikmin are the Pikmin themselves, and they are represented through Olimar. The Captains serve their purpose, and Olimar's notes are interesting, but the real meat of the game are the Pikmin (quite literally). As long as we have them, I don't feel that Pikmin will ever need another rep.
Eh, we don't really have a character that represents the creatures/villains of the game. To each their own I suppose, since I heavily favor Pikmin to all other Nintendo franchises.

Although the "perfectly represented" argument could be used for a few other series. F-Zero is fine with just having Captain Falcon. It's a racing game, so the characters aren't as important as the vehicles. Wario represents his series since he has parts of Wario Ware and Wario Land. Ness represents the Earthbound series because the main protagonists are all kids with special powers. Of course, I don't agree with any of these arguments, since I think most series deserve at least 2 characters

D

Deleted member

Gaiz, like, who are the "Smash Bros."? Are they going to be secret characters in the next game? :troll:

(No, but seriously, this was a thought I had while driving home from work in order to keep myself from dozing off. It's not meant to be serious, but I wonder if there was to be an original character or characters for the franchise, would they be the namesake of the series?)

EDIT: I see my little bad joke has killed discussion.
So now I will get serious.

Do you see what I see here? (No, not the MOTHER****ING T-REX, as some of you that know me well enough would assume I'm talking about.)

I'm talking about that little T-Rex that's by the protagonists. (Ok, so it's still MOTHER****ING T-REX related.)

Potential Smash newcomer? It seems that this little guy was created to be the franchise's answer to Pikachu.
His name seems to be "Kajiro".

Last edited by a moderator:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
First off, K. Rool hasn't been in a mainstream DK game since the SNES days, unless you count the ports and remakes. Sure, there's King of Swing/Jungle Climber and Sluggers, but still.
Alright, this is a few pages old but I just have to correct you on this.

And you have to keep in mind that there wasn't a "mainstream DK game" for 11 years before Returns came out. He can't be in something that doesn't exist.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
Gaiz, like, who are the "Smash Bros."? Are they going to be secret characters in the next game? :troll:

(No, but seriously, this was a thought I had while driving home from work in order to keep myself from dozing off. It's not meant to be serious, but I wonder if there was to be an original character or characters for the franchise, would they be the namesake of the series?)

EDIT: I see my little bad joke has killed discussion.
So now I will get serious.

Do you see what I see here? (No, not the MOTHER****ING T-REX, as some of you that know me well enough would assume I'm talking about.)

I'm talking about that little T-Rex that's by the protagonists. (Ok, so it's still MOTHER****ING T-REX related.)

Potential Smash newcomer? It seems that this little guy was created to be the franchise's answer to Pikachu.
His name seems to be "Kajiro".
Possibly. I would not mind as he is hella cute (excuse my steet language) and obscure. Plus I like the color scheme.

Kajiro 4 smash

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 8104

-----
With the exception of Mewtwo, and partially Roy, i dont see melee veterans returning (Pichu, Dr. Mario, Young Link). And im not even completly sure about chances Mewtwo and Roy.
Not Kiddy Kong. About Meowth is something unlikely and i dont see him with an interesting potential moveset BASED ON GAMES, i actually think that Team Rocket Meowth of the Pokemon Anime would be funny to be in SSB, a deformed cat that speaks controlling machines and artifacts its so weird that it fits perfectly in SSB, but it wouldnt be representative of Videogames.
Samurai Goroh over Black Shadows? No.
About Mother/Earthbound, it is already well represented from what it is and for some reason i prefer Masked Man.
About Fire Emblem, is a series that is inconsistent with Villains and not having an Awakening rep is something unlikely.
Little Mac, Andy and Shulk are ok. But why you selected Dark Dawn Isaac, ugh... Let me explain it clear, if Dark Dawn is the only thing that makes appearance of Golden Sun in SSB4 i would be 100 times angrier than if Golden Sun is completely ignored and i would quit SSB. And thats not something that it must be discused if any character of Golden Sun is playable it should be Isaac with GBA appearance.
And who is sheriff?
Edit: oh an arcade game...

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well that 100 roster idea didn't turn out so well, worth a shot anyway. Anyway, back to my original roster.

Your first roster I like except for tiki, lip and happy salesman otherwise it lookes great.
And what exactly do you not like about Tiki, Lip, or the Salesman?

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Well that 100 roster idea didn't turn out so well, worth a shot anyway. Anyway, back to my original roster.

I really like your roster, because Isaac, Mewtwo and Palutena are here, but in my opinion, it lacks a real fire emblem newcommer (IMO !) and an obscure character. I want at least one suprise with the real final roster, and I prefer new series to be represented instead of overreping represented ones (IMO 4 reps for DK is too much).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh yeah, and next week Diddy Kong by himself is going to be shown.

Not a Diddy and Dixie duo idea.

People thinking that the latter idea is guaranteed have clearly not been paying attention to how veterans hardly change moves between games. The most drastic changes to veterans to the series thus far is between Super Smash Smash and Super Smash Bros. Melee, and I could argue the changes were done to make the characters feel more diverse and better hardware.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I really like your roster, because Isaac, Mewtwo and Palutena are here, but in my opinion, it lacks a real fire emblem newcommer (IMO !) and an obscure character. I want at least one suprise with the real final roster, and I prefer new series to be represented instead of overreping represented ones (IMO 4 reps for DK is too much).
An FE newcomer isn't really needed, it could probably even stay at two characters. I don't know how you think it doesn't have an obscure character, since both Takamaru and Lip are on it. There are quite a few new series on here, and DK is far from over represented, there should have been three DK characters in Brawl. I don't believe any series should have a limit, that's ridiculous, but how DK of all things could have too many is even more ridiculous, being a more deserving series.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
View attachment 8104

-----
Porky is a far more interesting Mother rep than either another (god damn) psychic kid(Ninten) or another (god damn) swordsman(Masked Man) so kudos for that.

Samurai Goroh, whilst another (god damn) swordsman is IMO a better choice for the second F-Zero rep than Black Shadow, since he's been there since the beginning, and has a major role to play in the F-Zero universe opposed to the other two staples of Dr. Stewart and Pico. Black Shadow is a fine choice too, but for me is too tainted as 'a solution to the Ganondorf problem' for me to actually want him.

Meowth; excellent choice, far less fluff like than the Pokemon we ACTUALLY get for Smash in Puff and Lucario(initially anyway) due to his overarching role in the anime, it seems like he's going to be important for ages yet still.

Any reason for adult Isaac over the more classic teen Isaac?

If Dixie HAS to be teamed up with someone Kiddy makes more sense than ruining the perfectly decent Diddy Kong, so whilst I'm not totally behind the idea(not many liked Kiddy) I can understand the sense behind the decision.

Roy's fine as long as he gets a through decloning. I'd actually quite like to see him return with a decloned moveset.

My only real complaint is Young Link and Doc, but I've never been a fan of multiple versions of a singular character. I'm on the fence about whether Pichu counts.

What? No Grovyle?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
View attachment 8104

-----
3 Versions of Link, but no Vaati?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I could totally chill with the fine selection of Nintendo All-Stars.

Okay, let's see...yeah, that's pretty much the best roster you've made so far. I would be completely satisfied with it (well, that's almost true, but I can't detract points for it). The leader of the bunch is joined by a couple of his esteemed colleagues, and there is a fair share of newcomers for new and old series. My favorite thing, though, is that you have Pacman without Mac or Mii, telling me you don't put stock in that Little-Pac-Mii hogwash.

- Takamaru and Lip - Both technically retro/obscure characters, and the most ideal choices, I might add.
- Isaac - After learning more about Isaac, it's occurred to me more people should want him...
- Ridley - Of course. Though I think the Other M look will be used.
- Roy - Eh, really the only choice I don't really agree with.
- Dixie and K. Rool - While it's unlikely, we really should get them both this time.
- Krystal - Contrary to what most of us believe, she has a very real chance and is highly requested.
- Palutena - Given.
- Pacman - I didn't know you cared for Pacman.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not to start another flame war, but Krystal has real chances based on her popularity...as opposed to other things. Which is still lower compared to Ridley, Palutena, K.Rool, Roy and Mewtwo.

Add onto that the fact that Sakurai wants to add more unrepresented series.

Add onto that the fact that Sakurai didn't even know who she was before Brawl (or whenever that was)

Add onto that the fact that Sakurai doesn't want to overrep franchises, and wants to keep representation balanced.

Add onto that the fact that Star Fox hasn't done well lately, and hasn't had a game since Command besides a remake of the best game of the series, which didn't even include Krystal.

Don't take this as condescending. All i'm saying is that yes, she has a chance. But it's not like she's top 5 to get in.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In before Scoliosis *****es about how people are not picking Chrom because ZE ADVERTISEMENTZ.
Screw you Xenoblaze:p . You're just here to poke the bear.

I support Chrom and think he'll get in, but my days of caring about what prediction rosters he gets on are over. I think Roy is a great choice, but I just don't think he's going to be added in.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
View attachment 8104

-----
no grovyle 0/10

(also who's medeus? never heard of him)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't care if people support her, as long as they acknowledge the fact that she was meant to be basically be Marth. If said supporters choose to believe that she could be more unique than Chrom, then I facepalm because that literally doesn't make any sense.

Plus, I don't think she'd get in anyway. She's important to a part of the story, but in the end she's just an optional unit. In rank with everybody else.

I'd be all for a tag team of the two of them though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't care if people support her, as long as they acknowledge the fact that she was meant to be basically be Marth. If said supporters choose to believe that she could be more unique than Chrom, then I facepalm because that literally doesn't make any sense.

Plus, I don't think she'd get in anyway. She's important to a part of the story, but in the end she's just an optional unit. In rank with everybody else.

I'd be all for a tag team of the two of them though.
Chrom and Lucina are on about the same level in terms of uniqueness, also Lucina is the FE equivalent of this guy

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Uniqueness wise they're pretty similar, so when I see people try to argue that she's better than Chrom, as I said, I facepalm.

However, when you compare her role to his role in the story, that's where the similarities end. She may be his daughter, but Chrom is still the more important character.

I feel like a lot of Lucina support has died out lately. I wonder why.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Chrom is sort of like Kamina.

The writers try to make you think that the character is supposed to be the main protagonist during the beginning of the story, but get phased out during the second half of the story where the prospective shifts to other characters. Though unlike Kamina, Chrom does it much more subtly.

Not that it matters, because regardless both Lucina and Chrom are going to be bad additions.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Rebellious Treecko Rebellious Treecko
As much as I would love to see a 60 character roster, I have a hard time seeing one without the addition of Krystal, Waddle Dee, or Chrom.

@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero
I know Chrom and/or Lucina aren't exciting, but why don't you give them a shot, see how they are?
You never know, Sakurai could really make them interesting.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I know Chrom and/or Lucina aren't exciting, but why don't you give them a shot, see how they are?
You never know, Sakurai could really make them interesting.
**** no.

I still have on my hands other characters I would rather get in first.

I still heavily support characters like Takamaru, Shulk, Little Mac, Lip, and whatever else.

Beside, we need more red on the roster. **** blue.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Chrom is sort of like Kamina.

The writers try to make you think that the character is supposed to be the main protagonist during the beginning of the story, but get phased out during the second half of the story where the prospective shifts to other characters. Though unlike Kamina, Chrom does it much more subtly.

Not that it matters, because regardless both Lucina and Chrom are going to be bad additions.
While I agree that there is hardly prospective uniqueness coming from the two of them, we have no idea what Sakurai has up his sleeve. We might be surprised.

Basically, the way I see the "Main character" hierarchy is basically: Chrom is main character/leader, who is surpassed by the Avatar. Lucina doesn't ever bypass either of these two.

However, when you look at who Intelligent Systems uses in advertising, it's Chrom and Lucina. Not the avatar. Not saying Sakurai wouldn't pick the Avatar, because he very well could. But if he asks Intelligent Systems who THEY would want, they'd probably suggest Chrom.

Nobody really knows in regards to Fire Emblem. It's a big fat waiting game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
**** no.

I still have on my hands other characters I would rather get in first.

I still heavily support characters like Takamaru, Shulk, Little Mac, Lip, and whatever else.

Beside, we need more red on the roster. **** blue.
Yeah. Shulk is definitely the number one swordsman newcomer for me. Leagues above Chrom as far as gameplay contribution and represents a new series (Xenoblade) which is a game I absolutely love.

There are plenty of other characters that would get me more hyped than Chrom would, which is basically K.Rool, Ridley, Palutena, and Mewtwo. I'm not saying that to blend in with the crowd either. I legitimately support those characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom