• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Cranky Kong is slightly interesting just based on his age. You could incorporate a lot of that personality into his animations, like his walking animation. Aside from that, we need more beards in Smash.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Doesn't Toon Link already somewhat bounce with his Sword when he uses his Down-Air?

Cranky is all kinda of awesome, and definitely deserves mentions in Smash, but I think it's a stretch to make him a character.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
@ Fortanono Fortanono
But still? Those are games, you know, they definitely count.
Victini is a legendary, but K. Rool is more "legendary" from an impact standpoint and overall popularity and notoriety.
Plus, "second-latest" is the key word there.
K. Rool can do so many things, like I mentioned before.
Cranky can jump on a cane. None of the other things you mentioned are actually DONE by the character, whereas K. Rool does so many notable and unique things. You can bring Zelda into this, using attacks that she isn't actually use canonically, but Cranky is nowhere near as important as Zelda OR K. Rool, so I don't know if pulling strings for a creative moveset would happen for a character like Cranky.

@ Morbi Morbi
He meant an ACTUAL "legendary" Pokemon, as in in game.
Although that doesn't really mean much since Mewtwo is the only legendary to make it in thus far.
Victini may not be relevant, but he's Masuda's favorite Pokémon. K. Rool is obviously not the current designer of Donkey Kong's favorite character, in fact, it's as if they want to forget about him (which I do agree is ridiculous). And Rare isn't even involved here. Heck, K. Rool wasn't even the main Kremling in Barrel Blast, Kritter was. Yep, a generic enemy.
Why can't Dixie Kong use Animal Buddies and barrels? I guess throwing barrels makes sense for Cranky because he's the original Donkey Kong, but it's not very interesting.
I just don't find it likely that a girly-girl Kong would ride around on a rhino as the only representation of one of DKC's key elements. Don't call me sexist, I'm talking about Nintendo here. Ya know, Peach getting kidnapped, not being able to be defended, Nintendo is somewhat sexist.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Doesn't Toon Link already somewhat bounce with his Sword when he uses his Down-Air?

Cranky is all kinda of awesome, and definitely deserves mentions in Smash, but I think it's a stretch to make him a character.
Especially over K. Rool.
Cranky over K. Rool at this point would be insulting and would actually make me angry.

Morbi

Scavenger

Toon Link bounces with his down-air if he hits the opponent, otherwise he sticks his sword into the ground. I believe Cranky would bounce regardless of a whiff.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Cranky should just be an AT that appears and bounces all over the place. That'd be hilarious.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Cranky Kong's playstyle in TF is clearly inspired by Scrooge McDuck. That isn't unique.
It certainly doesn't make him worth ignoring King K. Rool.

Cranky's role in the games is to be one the sidelines. His biggest asset is his cynical, comical, fourth-wall breaking personality, something that can't be properly represented in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Cranky Kong's playstyle in TF is clearly inspired by Scrooge McDuck. That isn't unique.
It certainly doesn't make him worth ignoring King K. Rool.

Cranky's role in the games is to be one the sidelines, in a way similar to Anna, who we discussed earlier. His biggest asset is his cynical, comical, fourth-wall breaking personality, something that can't be properly represented in Smash Bros.
I beg to differ with the second part.
There's just a better character fit for 4th Wall breaking, and that would be Palutena.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I find the Diddy-Dixie tag team to be a bad idea as it would throw away Diddy's perfectly good moveset. I'm against teaming up characters in general, by the way.
I think Teaming certain characters is very necessary. Maybe not for Diddy and Dixie, but definitely for certain characters.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah, but characters in this series don't do much of that. That bit was an afterthought anyway. It's mostly the personality part that can't be represented thorough by playable characters.
Mr. Resseti did a good job of that, and he was an assist trophy.
Guys, I was just kidding around.
I was referencing KI:U's constant 4th wall breaking.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey, UltimateWario's little rant about how Metroid stages reduce the series to a shoddy caricature of itself in Smash got me thinking about DK stages, along with this talk of Cranky breaking the fourth wall. Since, like the Pyrosphere, DK's stage is going to be Generic Jungle, what if it was the Generic Jungle by Cranky's Cabin, so he can come out and make snarky comments from time to time? It'd be like a much more interesting Jungle Japes in that regard.

Morbi

Scavenger
Guys, I was just kidding around.
I was referencing KI:U's constant 4th wall breaking.
Oh, I see what you did there (only after you told me what you did there).

Yeah, but characters in this series don't do much of that. That bit was an afterthought anyway. It's mostly the personality part that can't be represented thorough by playable characters.
I feel as though personality can be represented through playable characters via taunts, idle stances, and movement in general.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would rather have Sunset Shore instead of another generic jungle level, mainly because I would like to see the sunset in HD.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Large post.
I can generally agree with this, but I find fault in it as well. Looking at the rosters of Smash as a whole, only a very small portion of characters have any promotional merit outside of obvious ones like Mario being Mario. If Sakurai were picking characters on a basis of iconic main characters that everyone would recognize, we wouldn't have such characters as the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Pit (during Brawl obviously), or even Ness, Lucas, and Captain Falcon. And for the most part, we know that he does listen to fans, if Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man of all things weren't obvious enough, many of the characters in Melee were popular choices and most of Brawl's roster were popular choices.

One of the main reasons I can't see Chrom happening is because Sakurai has made it clear that he's going for uniqueness, and not just in the moveset sense. During Melee times, he choice Falco over Wolf because Falco was more visually different from Fox, Chrom and Marth look far more similar to each other than Fox and Wolf do, and they'd probably play more of the same as well. Lucina also falls into that similarity area, as she was specifically trying to pass as Marth in Awakening. If Sakurai were to do something like putting the two of them together, as many people here suggest, then that would probably make them more unique as a whole to him, but we really don't know what he'll do in that regard.

For the most part, only Pokemon and Fire Emblem are where people think Sakurai is "promoting newer games," and he is, somewhat. He didn't pick Lucario in Brawl just for promotional purposes, he went to GameFreak and they gave him the idea for Lucario, which Sakurai could have very well turned down if he didn't find it unique enough, Pokemon Trainer joining at the same time as Lucario also strengthens the fact that he isn't doing it for promotion. Ike is also in a similar position, Sakurai went to Intelligence Systems and asked who they thought should be in, he agreed with Ike because he was able to make him different enough from Marth. The same thing applies to Roy being chosen as a clone for Melee, his fire and appearance made him more distinguishable from Marth.

I think we're either getting Roy back, someone new that isn't Chrom or Lucina, possibly the both of them in a combo, or no third character at all.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It just came to my head recently, Cranky could really be alot of fun if his cane had the ability to cause rock pillars to rise from the ground to show he's not only a regular ol monkey that bounces with his stick.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
It just came to my head recently, Cranky could really be alot of fun if his cane had the ability to cause rock pillars to rise from the ground to show he's not only a regular ol monkey that bounces with his stick.
Might as well give him the power of time and wind as well.

crank da god 4 smash

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux

Claiming that Chrom, a character who you have not even seen a moveset for yet, is less unique than Roy, Marth with red hair and PH1R3...
Come on. I wish you guys would just give him a chance. I'm less strict on the whole FE scene, but everyone is so biased against Chrom and for Roy that stuff like this happens all the time.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux

Claiming that Chrom, a character who you have not even seen a moveset for yet, is less unique than Roy, Marth with red hair and PH1R3...
Come on. I wish you guys would just give him a chance. I'm less strict on the whole FE scene, but everyone is so biased against Chrom and for Roy that stuff like this happens.
I don't think you understand, fire makes everything more unique. :troll:

Seriously though, I don't know how one could support Roy while asserting that Chrom isn't unique.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Cranky, the great Hero of Kong who saved Zelda from the evil Bowser and defeated his commander Mother Brain, saving Dream Land from Team Rocket's EggGear REX and Giygas' Underworld army of Blood Falcon clones. And he finished it all in time for supper from his dear late ghost wife.

@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux

Come on. I wish you guys would just give him a chance. I'm less strict on the whole FE scene, but everyone is so biased against Chrom and for Roy that stuff like this happens all the time.
Did you not read the entire rest of that post? He picked Roy at the time over other options because he needed a clone who could distinguish himself from Marth.

One of the main reasons I can't see Chrom happening is because Sakurai has made it clear that he's going for uniqueness, and not just in the moveset sense. During Melee times, he choice Falco over Wolf because Falco was more visually different from Fox, Chrom and Marth look far more similar to each other than Fox and Wolf do, and they'd probably play more of the same as well. Lucina also falls into that similarity area, as she was specifically trying to pass as Marth in Awakening. If Sakurai were to do something like putting the two of them together, as many people here suggest, then that would probably make them more unique as a whole to him, but we really don't know what he'll do in that regard.
You missed the point completely, don't pick and chose what to read, that post was about Sakurai picking characters from uniqueness rather than promotion.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
Sorry, I just skimmed through it.
My main point is that in your roster you have Roy, a character who is not unique.
If Sakurai is looking for a unique FE character this time Anna, Lyn, or Tiki are the best choices. But that won't happen.
Sorry for the confusion, I just remember clearly Roy being on your roster.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Glad to see the Discussion Thread is back and running. Well, guess it's time that I post my newest roster:

Characters= 50 + transformations
Newcomers=16:
Rosalina
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Samurai Goroh
Palutena
Isaac
Shulk
Ridley
Ray 01
Little Mac
Takamaru
Mii
Pac-Man

Returning Veteran:
Mewtwo

Cut Veterans:
Lucas
Snake

If you have any questions about any specific character choices, feel free to ask them. Any feedback would be nice. :)

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
Sorry, I just skimmed through it.
My main point is that in your roster you have Roy, a character who is not unique.
If Sakurai is looking for a unique FE character this time Anna, Lyn, or Tiki are the best choices. But that won't happen.
You're again ignoring the fact that he chose Roy specifically to have a visually unique clone.

All of those characters could get in with a unique moveset, yes, Chrom could get in with a unique moveset, but you seem to think Roy can't get a new moveset.
He would have no reason to be a clone this time if brought back, he'd be just as unique as Chrom/Lucina could possibly be without looking like Marth to boot.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
If Sakurai were to bring back Roy, I would tell him to skip a FE character entirely.
The whole reason I find it likely is because AWAKENING is such an important and successful game.
That being said I have a hard time seeing Roy in Smash 4.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Glad to see the Discussion Thread is back and running. Well, guess it's time that I post my newest roster:

Characters= 50 + transformations
Newcomers=16:
Rosalina
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Samurai Goroh
Palutena
Isaac
Shulk
Ridley
Ray 01
Little Mac
Takamaru
Mii
Pac-Man

Returning Veteran:
Mewtwo

Cut Veterans:
Lucas
Snake

If you have any questions about any specific character choices, feel free to ask them. Any feedback would be nice. :)
It looks visually appealing, but you cut Snake for Pacman? You cut Lucas?

What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom