• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also,I want to talk about Falco,not him being in,the LEAK.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Jeez.
If they want to add a Metroid stage with acid/lava as a primary hazard, just bring back Norfair and Planet Zebes (SSB4)

After Norfair and it's new additions with the lava hazard (making it come from the side, back, the capsule thing, etc.), any new lava/acid stage just seems redundant and inferior in comparison.

-----

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Also,I want to talk about Falco,not him being in,the LEAK.
Falco? There isn't really much to say, he is most probably going to return (though I would rejoice if he was omitted).

Jeez.
If they want to add a Metroid stage with acid/lava as a primary hazard, just bring back Norfair and Planet Zebes (SSB4)

After Norfair and it's new additions with the lava hazard (making it come from the side, back, the capsule thing, etc.), any new lava/acid stage just seems redundant and inferior in comparison.

-----
Norfair might be returning as it is. It might be in the returning Brawl stages section or whatever. In that event, I am inclined to agree. Almost anything lava related would certainly feel redundant. I don't know, maybe Pyrosphere is just a neutral stage? You never know.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Falco? There isn't really much to say, he is most probably going to return (though I would rejoice if he was omitted).

Norfair might be returning as it is. It might be in the returning Brawl stages section or whatever. In that event, I am inclined to agree. Almost anything lava related would certainly feel redundant. I don't know, maybe Pyrosphere is just a neutral stage? You never know.
I would certain hope it's neutral, giving that anything else would likely hurt Ridley's chances.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Alright. So here is my response. It's not too long. It's basically something I've been wanting to say. I'm all about having your favorite choices as long as you're logical and reasonable about them.

For a lot of Smash fans, it becomes a dream to have their favorite character get into the game as an All-Star. Millions of people follow the series, and there are millions of requests for specific characters. Few characters can be in the spotlight of the "likely" bunch. Sadly, many gamers will not be satisfied with the fate of particular characters. Many of the characters I see on this site are in the category of "neat but not as likely as I'm making it out to be". Anna is, unfortunate to many of you i'm sure, in that area.

Many of the arguments I see that users present to defend her prospects of getting in Smash are legitimate. I'm not saying they support her, but the context of those legitimate arguments doesn't necessarily mean she would be the best possible Fire Emblem character in any facet. Look at the competition she has. She has to compete with Chrom, Roy, and possibly even the Avatar. I'm going to tell you a few reasons why I feel that her chances are heavily overspeculated on this site in particular.

First off, Chrom and Roy are far more iconic to the series. Now hold on. I know you're going to say, "Chrom is only in one game. He's not iconic!" or "Roy is from an older game! He only showed up once!" That may be true. However, Chrom and Roy are main characters to their respective installments, something that Anna simply cannot argue. With that comes the notoriety that mascot characters get for their games. Chrom and Lucina were given exclusive costumes for Monster Hunter in Japan, again something Anna cannot argue for.

Anna may be a reoccurring character, but that doesn't mean much when you consider her roles. Not once has she been a main character, only receiving playable status in Awakening (if i'm not mistaken, that's the only one in which she's playable.) Sure, she gives you a tutorial, and sure, she owns all the shops. That's about as important as any generic character can get. I'm sorry, but that's basically how I see her. She's generic. That's like the shop owners in Paper Mario. They're all generic enemies who basically just sells stuff.

Secondly, while Chrom is regarded as lame on this site (I don't see much of it elsewhere), he is undeniably the lord on a lot of peoples minds. The gamers who are new and have played Fire Emblem for the first time with Chrom, not to mention THE BEST SELLING FIRE EMBLEM, the most iconic character from that title will likely be chosen. That's the way marketing works.

Put Anna in this situation. How many people who weren't looking at Smash would look at Anna and say, "OH, I know who she is! I"m going to buy Smash just for her!". This is where overall popularity comes in. It's why characters like Roy, who has a gigantic popularity in the world of Smash, fails in areas outside of that, which is unfortunately a big competitor. Sakurai has to appeal to everybody, and a niche character like Anna is not the way to do it.

By niche, I mean that anybody who hasn't played every Fire Emblem game might pass over her in the importance field. She's important in the regard of the fans, whereas Chrom is important to anybody who has either played or seen advertisements of the game. They'll see Chrom and say, "Hey, I know that guy.". They'll see Anna, and the average person would say, "Who? What? Why?"

I'm in no way saying that people cannot support Anna. You can support anybody you want. But quite honestly, if you think she's going to give Chrom, Roy, or another popularly requested character a run for their money, then you need to remember the purpose of the game we're talking about. Nintendo's All-Star fighter of their latest and greatest.

Every character has a chance. But those chances aren't automatically good just because they have them.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Read it again : "NOT ABOUT HIM BEING IN , but ABOUT THE LEAK."

Morbi

Scavenger
Read it again : "NOT ABOUT HIM BEING IN , but ABOUT THE LEAK."
I apologize, I couldn't discern the meaning with the semi-awkward comma splicing. Again, we don't want to get off topic, there is a leak thread if you wish to talk about the Falco leak. That being said, I do believe that many refuted the leak, fake by a preponderance of the evidence.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I was thinking that too, that each Metroid stage is basically the same, it's just reskinned to fit the newest game.
Metroid needs some better goddamn levels. Each Metroid has so many unique, beautiful, and mystifying locations, but Sakurai seems to keep going back to the most boring of each one for stage inspiration.

And don't a single one of you say, "But lava/acid is iconic for Metroid!", because it isn't. It's literally only a trend within Smash.

Oh, and I'd be super-pumped to see Dark Samus as Wolf-esque semi-clone alongside Ridley.

Last edited:

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Hello! I'm here, and I'm ready to feel the FLAME!!!

Prediction 2.png

Reasoning:
  • As we all know, Sakurai is choosing characters based on uniqueness, and Cranky Kong seems like a great fit. He'd be slow on the ground, but quick and nimble in the air! AND he'd have a bunch of unique attacks, such as his potions and the animal buddies.
  • Midna is also very unique, and in addition, the LoZ characters have their TP designs. Midna is so unique, I feel Sakurai just might do this.
  • Trust me, we all want to believe that the E3 leak is false (not me though), but really, that doesn't seem possible to me. I mean, he predicted 3 newcomers. One is 3rd-party, one Sakurai said would not be included, and one nobody predicted.
  • Lip is the retro, since Sakurai said PdP was a masterpiece, it could happen.
  • Rhythm Girl is the mascot of a casual franchise the is extremely popular. She'd also be really unique, using timed button presses to strengthen her attacks. An about other reps, the conly other one I could think of that would make sense is Marshal, who I didn't have an icon for. :p
  • Chrom is an obvious pick, and to me, the only FE character that makes sense as a realistic choice.
  • And then we have Victini. Bias, I know, but since Pichu got in during Melee, and since we waited quite some time for a 2nd Pokémon newcomer (after 5 Mario characters, for freak's sake), I believe Victini has at least a small chance.
  • Diskun is the historical character like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. were. I don't think Daitoryo was thought of by Sakurai, rather, being a Smashboards-created concept. And Sheriff would use guns, which is a no-no, as proven by Snake.
Tell me if I missed anyone.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Fortanono Fortanono
If Sheriff DID make it in, I could see it being in his white pixelated form.
Then the gun issue is solved and we get a cool sprite character.
And ew Cranky.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Metroid needs some better goddamn levels. Each Metroid has so many unique, beautiful, and mystifying locations, but Sakurai seems to keep going back to the most boring of each one for stage inspiration.
And don't a single one of you say, "But lava/acid is iconic for Metroid!", because it isn't. It's literally only a trend within Smash.
Oh, and I'd be super-pumped to see Dark Samus as Wolf-esque semi-clone alongside Ridley.
Beautiful, in a picasso, grotesque kind of way. But let's not talk stages.

I don't know much about Dark Samus, as I haven't played the Prime series, but it seems like a really cool character.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
@ Fortanono Fortanono
If Sheriff DID make it in, I could see it being in his white pixelated form.
Then the gun issue is solved and we get a cool sprite character.
And ew Cranky.
Interesting... I think I'll change Diskun to Sheriff.

Prediction 3.png

And Cranky is a very unique choice, K. Rool isn't relevant, Dixie isn't unique. Sorry.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Hello! I'm here, and I'm ready to feel the FLAME!!!

View attachment 8091

Reasoning:
  • As we all know, Sakurai is choosing characters based on uniqueness, and Cranky Kong seems like a great fit. He'd be slow on the ground, but quick and nimble in the air! AND he'd have a bunch of unique attacks, such as his potions and the animal buddies.
  • Midna is also very unique, and in addition, the LoZ characters have their TP designs. Midna is so unique, I feel Sakurai just might do this.
  • Trust me, we all want to believe that the E3 leak is false (not me though), but really, that doesn't seem possible to me. I mean, he predicted 3 newcomers. One is 3rd-party, one Sakurai said would not be included, and one nobody predicted.
  • Lip is the retro, since Sakurai said PdP was a masterpiece, it could happen.
  • Rhythm Girl is the mascot of a casual franchise the is extremely popular. She'd also be really unique, using timed button presses to strengthen her attacks. An about other reps, the conly other one I could think of that would make sense is Marshal, who I didn't have an icon for. :p
  • Chrom is an obvious pick, and to me, the only FE character that makes sense as a realistic choice.
  • And then we have Victini. Bias, I know, but since Pichu got in during Melee, and since we waited quite some time for a 2nd Pokémon newcomer (after 5 Mario characters, for freak's sake), I believe Victini has at least a small chance.
  • Diskun is the historical character like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. were. I don't think Daitoryo was thought of by Sakurai, rather, being a Smashboards-created concept. And Sheriff would use guns, which is a no-no, as proven by Snake.
Tell me if I missed anyone.
Isn't K. Rool considered to be the most likely Donkey Kong representative if we are laboring under the assumption that uniqueness is the most prominent factor pertinent to a character's inclusion? That being said, I love Cranky Kong, so I am not even flustered.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Isn't K. Rool considered to be the most likely Donkey Kong representative if we are laboring under the assumption that uniqueness is the most prominent factor pertinent to a character's inclusion? That being said, I love Cranky Kong, so I am not even flustered.
Yes, but K. Rool has pretty much been dropped, Cranky being the 4th character in Tropical Freeze gives him much more likeliness in my eyes.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
K. Rool isn't relevant
I could argue the same about Victini...
As for K. Rool, you don't NEED to be relevant in modern Nintendo games if you have a crown boomerang, blunderbuss, a helicopter pack, electricity, boxing gloves, and INVISIBILITY.
You mean to tell me that the thought of K. Rool in Smash has never crossed Sakurai's mind? Because quite frankly K. Rool in Smash is too good of an opportunity to lose.
Oh, and just put Scrooge McDuck in if you want uniqueness AND relevance. He's the original cane hopper.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Pros:
- Little Mac
- Midna!
- Cranky Kong
- Victini

Cons:
- Rhythm Girl?
- Sheriff?
- Cranky Kong?
- Mii??
- PACMAN??
Midna, Cranky Kong, and Victini are considered to be positive attributes while Mii and Pac-Man are considered to be negative additions? I suppose it depends on intent of the roster.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking that too, that each Metroid stage is basically the same, it's just reskinned to fit the newest game.
Donkey Kong has this problem too. Jungles ****ing everywhere. Give us a mine cart level or something.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Donkey Kong has this problem too. Jungles ****ing everywhere. Give us a mine cart level or something.
YES.
I've thought of this, it's so great. Imagine everyone riding around on big ol' mine carts while the iconic track plays in the background.
How great would that be?

Fortanono

Smash Ace
I could argue the same about Victini...
As for K. Rool, you don't NEED to be relevant in modern Nintendo games if you have a crown boomerang, blunderbuss, a helicopter pack, electricity, boxing gloves, and INVISIBILITY.
You mean to tell me that the thought of K. Rool in Smash has never crossed Sakurai's mind? Because quite frankly K. Rool in Smash is too good of an opportunity to lose.
Oh, and just put Scrooge McDuck in if you want uniqueness AND relevance. He's the original cane hopper.
K. Rool is extremely unique, but I just feel Cranky is even more unique. Sometimes I think that even if K. Rool is so unique, K. Rool's uniqueness is stretched a little by his popularity. There, relevancy isn't a big issue here anymore.

Pros:
- Little Mac
- Midna!
- Cranky Kong
- Victini

Cons:
- Rhythm Girl?
- Sheriff?
- Cranky Kong?
- Mii??
- PACMAN??
First off, I take it you aren't familiar with the E3 leak, Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man are pretty much confirmed. If you are, you may just be in denial. And why don't you want Pac-Man in Smash anyway? Mii I can see, but I don't understand the Pac-Man haters.

Also, thanks for putting Victini as a pro!

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Fortanono Fortanono
I see you dodged my Victini comment.
That was smart.
And I don't think that Cranky would be more unique than K. Rool.
Press the Uniqueness Tier List in my sig to see how people envision K. Rool, he could be a really cool and unique character.

Morbi

Scavenger
K. Rool is extremely unique, but I just feel Cranky is even more unique. Sometimes I think that even if K. Rool is so unique, K. Rool's uniqueness is stretched a little by his popularity. There, relevancy isn't a big issue here anymore.

First off, I take it you aren't familiar with the E3 leak, Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man are pretty much confirmed. If you are, you may just be in denial. And why don't you want Pac-Man in Smash anyway? Mii I can see, but I don't understand the Pac-Man haters.

I don't really want Pac-Man in the game as Sonic already has that generic move-set that I entirely expect out of the Pacster.

YES.
I've thought of this, it's so great. Imagine everyone riding around on big ol' mine carts while the iconic track plays in the background.
How great would that be?
That is all I remember from Donkey Kong... mine-carts everywhere. I wouldn't even mind a playable mine-cart.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Morbi Morbi
I think Sonic's moveset says something about Pac-Man.
Sure it's a little generic and boring, but when you're Sonic the freaking Hedgehog you don't need an interesting moveset.
The same could be said about Pac-Man, another gaming giant.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Okay, Mii and Pacman are not "confirmed" because a leaker guessed one character no one expected.
Even if the leak was real, that doesn't mean all of it was. He could have just as easily added the three other characters to make it more interesting, since WFT and Villager don't create much interest.

The fact of the matter is, he stated they were to be revealed at E3, and they were not.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's not 100% confirmed, the original leak had those three characters debut alongside Megaman, WFT and Villager, they did not so part of that is already wrong. Plus, CAW Evolution has said that it's possible the leaker was mistaken as he did not see those characters directly, so while those characters are a strong possibility it's not a good idea to automatically assume that they're a certainty.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't care about the Leaky 3 so much.
As long as I get my precious Little Mac I'll be okay.
Pac would be okay, Miis I could do without.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Okay, Mii and Pacman are not "confirmed" because a leaker guessed one character no one expected.
Even if the leak was real, that doesn't mean all of it was. He could have just as easily added the three other characters to make it more interesting, since WFT and Villager don't create much interest.

The fact of the matter is, he stated they were to be revealed at E3, and they were not.
That is a great point, the leak was already confirmed to be fallacious, so it certainly doesn't do anything for Pac-Man, Mii, or Little Mac. That being said, those characters don't necessarily need a leak as support.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
@ Fortanono Fortanono
I see you dodged my Victini comment.
That was smart.
And I don't think that Cranky would be more unique than K. Rool.
Press the Uniqueness Tier List in my sig to see how people envision K. Rool, he could be a really cool and unique character.
First off, K. Rool hasn't been in a mainstream DK game since the SNES days, unless you count the ports and remakes. Sure, there's King of Swing/Jungle Climber and Sluggers, but still. Victini is a legendary, and he's from the second-latest generation of Pokémon. Add the fact that he's Masuda's favorite and you're good to go.

And as I said, K. Rool's uniqueness is kinda stretched by the fans, much like Ridley, but to a lesser extent.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I love Cranky, but he isn't unique. He bounces on his cane and that's it. You'd have to explain how he's so unique, because to me K. Rool and even Dixie have much more potential.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
I love Cranky, but he isn't unique. He bounces on his cane and that's it. You'd have to explain how he's so unique, because to me K. Rool and even Dixie have much more potential.
First off, due to problems with his walking, he'd be slow on the ground and nimble through the air. And he has his potions, too, which I feel could make another interesting gimmick. He could also use Animal Buddies, barrels, and as you said, his cane.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

I believe the basis of the leak was that the other three characters were also meant to be showcased at E3 which clearly did not happen.

You can include characters like Pac-Man and such to bring attention to the leak as well as to generate hype for the game but that does not mean the leak is 100% true, in fact we've only seen half the characters the rumor called for.

The Fairy-type leak also brought about a lot of attention when it surfaced, while many of the claims such as being super effective against Dragon, Fighting, and Dark types came true, the resistances of the defending Pokemon were mostly incorrect. The leak claimed that Fire and Psychic Pokemon would take half damage from Fairy type attacks when in reality it was Poison, Steel, and Fire types instead.

Furthermore Professor Sycamore was supposedly dubbed Professor Patrice and the order in which the gym leaders were initially leaked were also incorrect stating that the second gym was a Fairy type gym and the fourth would be a Fighting type gym, both of which were Rock and Grass respectively.

So while some of the information was proven true that does not mean the remainder of it will, we may or may not see the likes of Mii, Pac-Man, and Little Mac but we shouldn't treat it as a guarantee in any circumstance.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
First off, K. Rool hasn't been in a mainstream DK game since the SNES days, unless you count the ports and remakes. Sure, there's King of Swing/Jungle Climber and Sluggers, but still. Victini is a legendary, and he's from the second-latest generation of Pokémon. Add the fact that he's Masuda's favorite and you're good to go.

And as I said, K. Rool's uniqueness is kinda stretched by the fans, much like Ridley, but to a lesser extent.
Victini... legendary? I don't want to assert that you are delusional, perhaps you are simply misguided? I mean, perhaps if you would be so kind as to define legendary? Mewtwo, Meowth, Blaziken, Eevee, maybe even Zoroark are legendary (the other legendary Pokemon are already on the roster). Victini is just highly popular, I would honestly proclaim that Greninja is far more legendary, and he has only been around for a few months.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Fortanono Fortanono
But still? Those are games, you know, they definitely count.
Not to mention, you are comparing two major villain roles and one supporting role to a single playable role.
Victini is a legendary, but K. Rool is more "legendary" from an impact standpoint and overall popularity and notoriety.
Plus, "second-latest" is the key word there.
K. Rool can do so many things, like I mentioned before.
Cranky can jump on a cane. None of the other things you mentioned are actually DONE by the character, whereas K. Rool does so many notable and unique things. You can bring Zelda into this, using attacks that she isn't actually use canonically, but Cranky is nowhere near as important as Zelda OR K. Rool, so I don't know if pulling strings for a creative moveset would happen for a character like Cranky.

@ Morbi Morbi
He meant an ACTUAL "legendary" Pokemon, as in in game.
Although that doesn't really mean much since Mewtwo is the only legendary to make it in thus far.

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
First off, due to problems with his walking, he'd be slow on the ground and nimble through the air. And he has his potions, too, which I feel could make another interesting gimmick. He could also use Animal Buddies, barrels, and as you said, his cane.
Why can't Dixie Kong use Animal Buddies and barrels? I guess throwing barrels makes sense for Cranky because he's the original Donkey Kong, but it's not very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom