• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Sonic is more than just a guest, I don't understand how you people don't see that! Seeing as he is the only third party character who is returning, and in smash to stay, you are basically saying that Sakurai should continue doing a poor job representing Sonic, he's too famous to get cut, and too famous to be in it alone. The Willy Nilly thing only means that the Sonic franchise is limited to a maximum of two characters.
Did it explicitly say Sonic series? No,it said THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS IN GENERAL.
Is Sonic owned by Nintendo? No. He's not owned by them, therefore he's a guest.
Furthermore, Snake can return. There has been no confirmation so one cannot say Snake is cut.
If Sonic is famous enough to not get cut, then what about other characters, third party or not? Mewtwo?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Here's a topic: Final Smashes. Who do you think has a new final smash, instead of their smash from Brawl? Also, what do you think it would be?

For me, i'll state the obvious: Mega Lucario. Lucario would be powerful, faster, and invincible to knockback, but could still take damage. It would also represent the newest generation in a character.
I'm personally NOT a fan of the Mega Lucario idea. It has already been done to death with Wario-Man, Giga Bowser, and Giga Mac, so a little variety would be appreciated.

The characters who should be given new and unique Final Smashes are Falco (Arwing), Wolf (Wolfen), Ness (PK Rockin') and Lucas (PK Love).

Toon Link could get a new one too, but I'm not sure what. Luigi, could get something based on the Poltergust, and Peach's FS needs a buff.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Sonic is more than just a guest, I don't understand how you people don't see that! Seeing as he is the only third party character who is returning, and in smash to stay, you are basically saying that Sakurai should continue doing a poor job representing Sonic, he's too famous to get cut, and too famous to be in it alone. The Willy Nilly thing only means that the Sonic franchise is limited to a maximum of two characters.
Would you like to share with us how you know that?

And actually, yes, Sonic is just a guest. Did you not see my link to that pic, where Sakurai explicitly states he is a guest character? SO FAR he is the only one returning, we don't know about Snake. And I think a series that is not Nintendo with a character and stage in Smash is very well-represented. There simply is no need to add another Sonic character because there is no one that is on Sonic's level of prominence. That is what Sakurai is looking for. He is looking for prominent third-party characters that are on the likes of Mario and Sonic. Sonic, Snake, Mega Man... all mascots of their companies. Sakurai has set the bar extraordinarily high and the only third-party that comes close to that bar is Pac-Man, like it or not.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm personally NOT a fan of the Mega Lucario idea. It has already been done to death with Wario-Man, Giga Bowser, and Giga Mac, so a little variety would be appreciated.
Yeah, I sort of agree, there's going to be too much of transformation Final Smashes, with Giga Mac adding another one to the lot. I do think Mega Lucario should be in somehow, and I sort of liked the idea of him just automatically transforming into one once he reaches the aura cap or something, letting his FS be something else. But we'll see.

As for other Final Smashes, I don't really know. I think most veterans will keep theirs, maybe a few tweaks here and there... and I have too little imagination to come up with ones for newcomers. Maybe some Comet Observatory thing for Rosalina?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Did it explicitly say Sonic series? No,it said THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS IN GENERAL.
Is Sonic owned by Nintendo? No. He's not owned by them, therefore he's a guest.
Furthermore, Snake can return. There has been no confirmation so one cannot say Snake is cut.
If Sonic is famous enough to not get cut, then what about other characters, third party or not? Mewtwo?
You are missing the point, he's more than just a guest, his series being the most famous non-Nintendo franchise involved in smash means that his series does qualify for a second representative, but it is also the ONLY one to qualify. And no, the characters who were cut from Brawl weren't even close to being as famous as Sonic, so Sonic is a permanent smash character.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I have no idea what to do for Mega Man. I think the Bees NEED to be Villager's Final Smash. As for Rosalina, maybe shooting stars? I guess the Comet Observatory could work, but I have trouble seeing how it could be implemented.
You are missing the point, he's more than just a guest, his series being the most famous non-Nintendo franchise involved in smash means that his series does qualify for a second representative, but it is also the ONLY one to qualify. And no, the characters who were cut from Brawl weren't even close to being as famous as Sonic, so Sonic is a permanent smash character.
Just because YOU think he's more than a guest doesn't change the fact that all he is is a guest. And who are you to say it "qualifies for a rep"? Sakurai will add a character if he wants to. However, judging by comments and interviews, it's safe to say no third-party company gets special treatment, and third-party GUESTS are special cases. Someone like Shadow, Silver, even Knuckles are nowhere near a special case.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
-Sakurai has stated that he is a guest. Pretty sure that means he a guest.
-He's not the only one that can qualify. Do you know this, or why are you placing it as fact that's unproven like a sour "leak"? Megaman could easily get a second character, but it's the same level as Sonic. Not one above or below the other.
-Sonic can easily be cut. It'd certainly be controversial but it can happen.
-The characters that got cut in the Brawl process are certainly famous. Mewtwo being the biggest example. He's one of the most iconic Pokemon, a series that always sells millions upon millions with each entry into the series.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Again, apparently CliffJumper is involved with the development of the Super Smash Bros. games.
Oh, so you think of me as Professor CliffJumper? "NO" is the answer! I'm going by pure reasoning, not by the theories that people have that have holes in them. There's no use arguing anymore.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Please cover your raging hard-on for Sonic, this is a mostly family friendly site.

Besides, the only option for a second Sonic character, if that were to ever happen, would be Eggman.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
NO. STOP. STOP IT RIGHT NOW...PLEASE.

In every thread I go in where you're arguing about a second Sonic rep, you come across as if you've developed some special standard for third parties that only Sonic meets. YOU are the one saying that Sonic is the most famous non-Nintendo franchise. YOU are the one saying that Sonic qualifies for a second rep. Sakurai has made it clear that the third-party representation is VERY cut-and-dry-specific-exclusive-club-esque. Please please please PLEASE link me to Sakurai's quote that gives you the idea that he has a Sonic bias, or that he will only put in two Sonic reps, max. You act like that's a bare minimum, but for a game where SONIC IS A GUEST IN THE WORLD OF NINTENDO, it's actually kind of unrealistic.

I know Sega has worked closely with Nintendo recently, but Nintendo works closely with a lot of different companies. I think that you are accepting your own bias towards Sonic as fact when, in the grand scheme of things, this is a game that is supposed to stretch over Nintendo's own products. Sonic is such a small glimmer in Nintendo's eye when you consider just how many characters they own. Sakurai has gone on record multiple times letting people know that third-parties must be legendary. Every third-party thus far has met that criteria.

Also, you can't objectively say that Sonic is the highest priority in the realm of third-party. Case and point: Metal Gear Solid. If Snake comes back, he will technically be a higher priority than Sonic, since he was actually planned for Brawl from the beginning, unlike Sonic, who was added last-minute.

Rant over.

As for Final Smashes, I'd like to see Giga Bowser go back to being a boss again. I feel like Sakurai could easily pull something from the actual Mario games. Same with Luigi. I know that the Negative Zone was supposed to be representative of living in his brother's shadow...but goodness, was it trippy and weird.

Last edited:

DarrylTrainer

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think that before the 5th (6th?) Smash game, Nintendo will finally buy SEGA and only THEN will Tails and Knuckles/Amy/Eggman be added, because it will be a Nintendo series and it obviously has enough stature to stand up to Mario and Pokémon and would deserve as many characters. If we were to have a 5 character Sonic roster, who would you choose? Mine would be:
Sonic
Tails
Amy
Knuckles
Eggman

I'm talking YEARS into the future though

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

In every thread I go in where you're arguing about a second Sonic rep, you come across as if you've developed some special standard for third parties that only Sonic meets. YOU are the one saying that Sonic is the most famous non-Nintendo franchise. YOU are the one saying that Sonic qualifies for a second rep. Sakurai has made it clear that the third-party representation is VERY cut-and-dry-specific-exclusive-club-esque. Please please please PLEASE link me to Sakurai's quote that gives you the idea that he has a Sonic bias, or that he will only put in two Sonic reps, max. You act like that's a bare minimum, but for a game where SONIC IS A GUEST IN THE WORLD OF NINTENDO, it's actually kind of unrealistic.

I know Sega has worked closely with Nintendo recently, but Nintendo works closely with a lot of different companies. I think that you are accepting your own bias towards Sonic as fact when, in the grand scheme of things, this is a game that is supposed to stretch over Nintendo's own products. Sonic is such a small glimmer in Nintendo's eye when you consider just how many characters they own. Sakurai has gone on record multiple times letting people know that third-parties must be legendary. Every third-party thus far has met that criteria.

Also, you can't objectively say that Sonic is the highest priority in the realm of third-party. Case and point: Metal Gear Solid. If Snake comes back, he will technically be a higher priority than Sonic, since he was actually planned for Brawl from the beginning, unlike Sonic, who was added last-minute.

Rant over.

As for Final Smashes, I'd like to see Giga Bowser go back to being a boss again. I feel like Sakurai could easily pull something from the actual Mario games. Same with Luigi. I know that the Negative Zone was supposed to be representative of living in his brother's shadow...but goodness, was it trippy and weird.
I'm not even gonna bother reading this, this is getting way out of hand, you're carrying on the argument without me from even before this got posted.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I honestly think that before the 5th (6th?) Smash game, Nintendo will finally buy SEGA and only THEN will Tails and Knuckles/Amy/Eggman be added, because it will be a Nintendo series and it obviously has enough stature to stand up to Mario and Pokémon and would deserve as many characters. If we were to have a 5 character Sonic roster, who would you choose? Mine would be:
Sonic
Tails
Amy
Knuckles
Eggman

I'm talking YEARS into the future though
Well, in the hypothetical scenario that Sega, for some reason, was bought out by Nintendo, yeah, those are the characters that I would like to see.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Rant over.

I agree with you 100% all the way.

Oddly enough, none of the Mario characters have a Final Smash that is actually derived from Mario. And, out of all of them, I have to say that I like Luigi's the most, it just makes sense living in his brother's shadow. It's definitely the most creative one, but other than that, I'd like to see changes for the other Mario characters' final smashes.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The margin of chance difference between Banjo and Wonder Red/Aeron is about the difference between the weights of a proton and a neutron. Meaning a lot. Because Banjo is quite literally impossible unless Nintendo bought back Rare or the rights to those characters.

Wonder Red actually has a better shot than some characters, but then again the game is rather recent.
Lol I could've worded this better. I only meant Banjo was impossible. Not the other two.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not even gonna bother reading this, this is getting way out of hand, you're carrying on the argument without me from even before this got posted.
You can't expect to say something highly controversial and not expect negative feedback. That's how these things work.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Lol I could've worded this better. I only meant Banjo was impossible. Not the other two.
Banjo's not technically impossible given the off chance they decide to buy back the rights to these characters. Which is even smaller chances than an electron's mass in kilograms. 9.11X10^31, to be exact.

As for Mario and Final Smashes, I think Luigi's needs a makeover. Because I'm not gonna lie, that thing looked like someone was high when they thought it up.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You can't expect to say something highly controversial and not expect negative feedback. That's how these things work.
Took the words right out my keyboard.

Banjo's not technically impossible given the off chance they decide to buy back the rights to these characters. Which is even smaller chances than an electron's mass in kilograms. 9.11X10^31, to be exact.
As for Mario and Final Smashes, I think Luigi's needs a makeover. Because I'm not gonna lie, that thing looked like someone was high when they thought it up.
A high guy thought of a final smash that includes being high?
Hmm... Then what's your idea of his final smash? My guess is something from Dream Team

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A second Sonic character would be alright with me, but I doubt it would happen considering 3rd parties won't be added "willy nilly".

I'd rather have Pac-Man than a 2nd Sonic character.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you 100% all the way.

Oddly enough, none of the Mario characters have a Final Smash that is actually derived from Mario. And, out of all of them, I have to say that I like Luigi's the most, it just makes sense living in his brother's shadow. It's definitely the most creative one, but other than that, I'd like to see changes for the other Mario characters' final smashes.
You're right! I never really thought about how none of the Mario characters have Final Smashes that are actually from their games. Mario's is kind-of-sort-of, since it's just a glorified fireball.

Luigi's Negative Zone, I definitely understand the creativity. I just think that his Final Smash should be something more "Luigi"...as in "Luigi's Mansion". Same with Peach. I never played Super Princess Peach, but I understand that she has attacks exclusive to that game. Is there anything in SPP she can do that would make for a good Final Smash?

In the realm of Zelda characters, I think Sheik and Toon Link are the only changes necessary. Toon Link's FS is apparently the only outlet for any unique Specials, so why they wouldn't use that is beyond me.

I think Star Fox is fine where it is, when it comes to Final Smashes. :troll: I'm just kidding.

D

Deleted member

Sonic has special circumstances as a series purely based on his Brawl appearance. The only other third-party in the game is Snake. The thing is that Snake is too weak of a Nintendo rep to justify a second character, basically for the foreseeable future, while Sonic does have that clout. It's a simple but significant difference that means Sonic has his foot in the door for a second rep. I don't like Sonic as a series, to put it bluntly, but I still think Tails or Robotnik have a better chance of getting in than most popular third-party characters. That's ignoring the fact we already have the Green Hill Zone stage, Shadow the Hedgehog and all of the stuff in Brawl that also acts as a huge precursor to more Sonic content.

Although I won't deny there is some confirmation bias at play here for Sonic fans, same goes for fans of any character or game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A second Sonic character would be alright with me, but I doubt it would happen considering 3rd parties won't be added "willy nilly".

I'd rather have Pac-Man than a 2nd Sonic character.
I'd Rather have Ringabel.
Because stylish hair.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
A high guy thought of a final smash that includes being high?
Hmm... Then what's your idea of his final smash? My guess is something from Dream Team
Actually, yes. It's original for an FS and it doesn't seem too broken.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
A-HA, but THAT IS NOT THE POINT!!! I'm not new to coping with things like this. I've actually seen a lot of ridiculous talk about other controversial characters such as Geno, PacMan, or Travis Touchdown mind you, all worse than this. I've even seen some pretty well known game talk show people predict Marth getting cut from the game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A-HA, but THAT IS NOT THE POINT!!! I'm not new to coping with things like this. I've actually seen a lot of ridiculous talk about other controversial characters such as Geno, PacMan, or Travis Touchdown mind you, all worse than this. I've even seen some pretty well known game talk show people predict Marth getting cut from the game.
In that case, it's rude to blatantly and unabashedly ignore another's post toward you when it was by no means rude or mean-spirited.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You're right! I never really thought about how none of the Mario characters have Final Smashes that are actually from their games. Mario's is kind-of-sort-of, since it's just a glorified fireball.

Luigi's Negative Zone, I definitely understand the creativity. I just think that his Final Smash should be something more "Luigi"...as in "Luigi's Mansion". Same with Peach. I never played Super Princess Peach, but I understand that she has attacks exclusive to that game. Is there anything in SPP she can do that would make for a good Final Smash?

In the realm of Zelda characters, I think Sheik and Toon Link are the only changes necessary. Toon Link's FS is apparently the only outlet for any unique Specials, so why they wouldn't use that is beyond me.

I think Star Fox is fine where it is, when it comes to Final Smashes. :troll: I'm just kidding.
I do agree that Luigi's Mansion could make some room in his moveset. But I just love the Negative Zone so much.

As for Peach, she has the vibe system, so maybe she gets a random vibe (joy, rage, gloom, and calm) that makes her do different things:
  • Joy gives her the ability to float in the air for the entirety of her Final Smash.
  • Rage makes her stronger and on fire.
  • Gloom makes her faster and trips opponents with her tears.
  • Calm heals her damage and makes her invincible.
I don't think Sheik has anything to pull from. As for Toon Link, the Ballad of the Gales? He can summon a typhoon.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
As for Peach, she has the vibe system, so maybe she gets a random vibe (joy, rage, gloom, and calm) that makes her do different things:
  • Joy gives her the ability to float in the air for the entirety of her Final Smash.
I don't think Sheik has anything to pull from. As for Toon Link, the Ballad of the Gales? He can summon a typhoon.
When you refer to the vibes you are referring to Super Princess Peach? Just asking.
Sheik could use some variant of the light arrow. Angle it and call it the Shadow Arrow, and I'm good.
Toon Link needs something other than that Triforce Slash clone, using the waker would make sense.

Do you mind telling me which sentence you seem to be agreeing on?
The latter, my apologies :laugh:

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I do agree that Luigi's Mansion could make some room in his moveset. But I just love the Negative Zone so much.

If Negative Zone makes it back, no skin off my nose. But if Luigi's Mansion gets some rep...that'd be too cool.

I like the idea of Peach being a really happy-go-lucky character - or, dare I say it...Peachy - and then her Final Smash could be the Rage Vibe.

I agree with the Sheik statement and have no ideas for a Toon Link FS because I didn't get very far into Wind Waker at all. The art style hurt my delicate little eyes. :c

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oooh,talking about final smashes? I got a few ideas.

Villager - Bees. What else is there?
Rosalina - I got a feeling we may get some Star Bits flying around here.
Luigi - This attack is from M&L : BiS,where Luigi consumes numerous amounts of food,and jumps down while being a huge blob of fat,and causing sort of a shockwave while landing.
DK - DK jumps from the stage,and into a target-like mode. He shoots Coconuts (or whatever...) from his gun and the coconuts explode. I know this is a Snake cliche,but if Snake does not return,the final smash could move on to DK.

UNCONFIRMED :

Cpt.Falcon - Calls a wave of F-Zero machines to zoom past the stage. This is from the hazard of the F-Zero stage from the Adventure mode of Melee

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I want Meta Knight to do one of those big tornadoes that he does in his boss battle(s). You know, the one that Mach Tornado is based off of.

Also, as I believe someone mentioned before, PSI Rockin' and PK Love should reclaim their rightful places as Ness' and Lucas' trademark moves, respectively.

I think that the only Pokemon who should use a Mega Evolution as a Final Smash should be the poster boy of Mega Evolutions itself, Mewtwo, should it come back.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Lucario could have the same Final Smash, but simply turn into Mega-Lucario while performing it. Done.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wonder what fans' reactions would be if Ridley wasn't confirmed.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what fans' reactions would be if Ridley wasn't confirmed.
In the West:
A vast majority screaming out in horror, with a minority pointing and laughing.

In the East:
No one bats an eye.

The minority in the West are people who say he's too big, though, so I wouldn't count them as fans.
This is also pretty dramatized, considering I would just kind of be bummed, like I was with Starfy, and I'm a pretty big Ridley fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom