• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
He was only a guest character in Brawl, it doesn't matter that he's not a Nintendo franchise, he's the third party franchise that Nintendo recognizes the most, and SEGA obviously didn't regret Sonic in Smash. And no, development means nothing in this case. Lastly, Sakurai not adding third party characters "willy-nilly" does not make a second sonic representative impossible, it only means two sonic characters maximum.
This is hilarious. Development has EVERYTHING to do with it. And where does it say about "two reps maximum"? What does that mean?

Just because he is recognized most by Nintendo does NOT mean he should get another rep over the likes of Wario, KI, Metroid, or even Pikmin.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
When Sakurai said he was talking about Third Party characters and nilly willy, I'm fairly certain he was referring to any additional character from a third party in general. He won't add characters like Professor Layton, Banjo, Quote, Pac-Man, Lightning, etc. just because he feels like it.

Adding another Sonic character would not really serve a point at all. Sonic is a guest, not an established member of this Smash party that Nintendo hosts. That means he won't be inviting friends from his place over nilly willy. The metaphor of parties and houseguests works very well here, honestly.

It has to be a very special case, but Sakurai has already denied Namco working on Smash 4 as the loophole to include and shoehorn in Pac-Man or anything else. They yield no priorities.

There's no such character
Fairly certain DNaux was referring to Shadow and his apparent gritty makeover that happened during the Cube Era.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sonic is my favourite video game franchise and even I think there shouldn't be another Sonic character in this game. In a hypothetical Sega crossover, on the other hand, you better believe that Dr. Eggman, Knuckles, Tails and Amy would be great additions!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Okay...

Here's an interesting question for you all.

There are some characters that the majority think have no chance but would love to see.

Who do you think those characters are?

Personally, I think Kamek, Bandana Dee (Don't kill me Chandelure), Dillon and Chibi-Robo fall in this category.

gif removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This is hilarious. Development has EVERYTHING to do with it. And where does it say about "two reps maximum"? What does that mean?

Just because he is recognized most by Nintendo does NOT mean he should get another rep over the likes of Wario, KI, Metroid, or even Pikmin.
You think you're fooling me, but you're not!
Seeing as how Sonic appears in countless Nintendo games, and Nintendo Directs mind you the Sonic franchise has every right to a second representative, the only one that qualifies at that.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Seeing as how Sonic appears in countless Nintendo games, and Nintendo Directs mind you the Sonic franchise has every right to a second representative, the only one that qualifies at that.
Sonic. Is. Not. A. Nintendo. Franchise.

Therefore. He. Does. NOT. Deserve. A. Second. Rep.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Don't you mean Damn It the Gunhog.
Fixed. I had to take the opportunity.

-Gif-?
Excellent good use of those spoiler tags, good sir!
-And I'll pretend I didn't see BWD in that list, too.
Please excuse my French, what I meant was "That damn fourth Chaos Emerald."
I feel Shadow is grittier than Snake. Yes, I went there.
Sonic is multiplatform, a good part of his inclusion is because of the fan demand and the console wars recognition. They only recently struck a contract deal for Sonic games exclusively on Wii U and 3DS which solidified his inclusion.
Third Party in one game that's mega popular doesn't mean you are in the rest. See: Soulcaliber IV.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
3rd Parties are never getting more than one character.

Why people still argue about this crap is beyond me. If you want to play as other Sonic characters, go play Super Sonic Adventure 2: The New Challengers (yes, really) on Steam. Don't bring that crap into Smash.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, by technically standards, it was never outright stated that it's impossible to have a secondary third party character.

Though at the same time, with how limited those types of characters are treated, it would be incredibly difficult to incorporate anyway.

So, play it safe and just don't expect any situation like that.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
3rd Parties are never getting more than one character.

Why people still argue about this crap is beyond me.
I don't know, but my arguement about the whole houseguest policy is an accurate representation of Nintendo with 3rd Parties in Smash.
They don't live there, therefore they shouldn't exactly be inviting nilly willy. There's the very, very off chance but it's so minimal it makes Pokerus look common.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Come on guys, it was just one game.
I mean, it's not like Dumbass the Blockhead, who is constantly getting duped by the obviously untrustworthy Eggman.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Appearing in Directs doesn't mean a whole lot... Countless third parties appear in directs.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sonic. Is. Not. A. Nintendo. Franchise.

Therefore. He. Does. NOT. Deserve. A. Second. Rep.
I just said, the ONLY non Nintendo franchise that qualifies for a second representative. Being third party means almost nothing, we see Sonic and his friends in countless Nintendo games AND Nintendo directs, and more importantly, MANY crossovers with Mario, so yes, it DOES deserve a second representative, you don't like it, then don't start a fight with me.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I mean, it's not like ******* the Blockhead, who is constantly getting duped by the obviously untrustworthy Eggman.
You'd think that, after the good doctor burned his island down and stole the thing he was born to protect, that he'd be a little more weary of ol' Robuttnik.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
People. Since none of us can see the future, no matter how unlikely it is, Sonic CAN have Another rep in Smash.

However, it is a veeeeeery tiny chance, so I basically agree with those who say he will not. ^^ Though I would really love to see Eggman. He looks to be a interesting smasher.

Anyways.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I just said, the ONLY non Nintendo franchise that qualifies for a second representative. Being third party means almost nothing, we see Sonic and his friends in countless Nintendo games AND Nintendo directs, and more importantly, MANY crossovers with Mario, so yes, it DOES deserve a second representative, you don't like it, then don't start a fight with me.
Many contracts and deals led to Sonic's inclusion, not just fan demand.. Sonic until Lost World has been very multiplatform as a series.
Please read my metaphor above in an earlier comment, it explains the situation. Sonic is the guy who would be the next door neighbor to Nintendo. Still not living in the Nintendo house.

Xenoblaze is Kos-Mos now? Thought it was Metal Face 24/7...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You'd think that, when the dude burned his island down and stole the thing he was born to protect, that he'd be a little more weary of ol' Robuttnik.
Agreed.

I mean, the first time, I could see it. Knuckles didn't know Eggman, and going by ancient Echidna prophecy, he believed Eggman to be the force of good.

But after Sonic 3? How stupid can you get?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not the big shot ones, though. It would only make sense to me if he actually appeared in a REAL mario kart game, not just the arcade stuff.
Why is the arcade stuff any different?

If you're going to say arcade games don't matter then we can forget about all references to Donkey Kong.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Not the big shot ones, though. It would only make sense to me if he actually appeared in a REAL mario kart game, not just the arcade stuff.
The arcade games are actually very popular in Japan. Otherwise we wouldn't have three of them. And at a local arcade me and my friends often play it.

Arcade games are still games. It's just length that is different.

And going off of @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , then Mario Bros. shouldn't matter too, totally if we use that logic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pac-Man not good enough of an example?

Well, then...

How about Slime?

Itadaki Street DS
Mario Sports Mix
Fortune Street

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm not fighting.

Yes, Sonic is a recognizable character and Franchise. Yes, it is very close to Nintendo and it certainly would deserve a second rep IF we get second third-parties. I'm not arguing that. What I am arguing is the fact that you think it qualifies to get a second rep JUST BECAUSE it appears on a Nintendo game often. Doesn't make it first-party. It's still a third-party character, a third-party GUEST. We're lucky to even have him back. And, according to Sonic's pic of the day, Sakurai still considers him a guest character. All Sonic will be is a guest character, which while having ties to Nintendo, does not deserve a second rep over any other Nintendo franchise.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Why is the arcade stuff any different?

If you're going to say arcade games don't matter then we can forget about all references to Donkey Kong.
Well in the case of the Mario Kart GP titles, there is the obvious elephant in the room where Bandai Namco characters are referenced in that game, like Pac-Man, Mametchi, and Don-Chan.

With maybe the exception of Pac-Man, obviously these characters won't be referenced due to copyright.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
If you'd like to see who Daitoryo is, please check the link in my signature! I'm the thread owner.
I checked out the thread. It isn't exactly a high priority for me, personally, but I will admit that he would definitely be an interesting character. I took him off the "downsides" of my post, by the way.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, I have a theory that Pac-Man may actually appear in this game as a late addition, like a successor to what happened with Sonic in Brawl.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Also, I have a theory that Pac-Man may actually appear in this game as a late addition, like a successor to what happened with Sonic in Brawl.
What evidence do you have to support this theory?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What evidence do you have to support this theory?
Mainly the interview regarding to how Bandai Namco characters won't simply get in because of the loophole that Bandai Namco is working on the next Super Smash Bros. games. It seems like according to what the interview said, it's implied that a character regarding to Bandai Namco wasn't originally considered because of the statement. However in the hypothetical sense that if one was chosen, Pac-Man was mentioned along with some discussion regarding to how he would play out.

Though I wouldn't look deeply into it, discussions like this might be taken into consideration during the development process. Considering that around that time the development went through roughly 1 year and 4 months with the release date being sometime in late 2014, there still would hypothetically have been enough time to have incorporate content regarding to the Pac-Man franchise. It's like how Sonic was later added into Brawl, though in this case it would be for a different reason (raw popularity vs. experimenting with new game mechanics).

Of course this is purely theory, so you can disagree with it if you want.

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Fairly certain DNaux was referring to Shadow and his apparent gritty makeover that happened during the Cube Era.
You mean Vegeta the edgehog. We have Lucario as Goku, we need Shadow as Vegeta.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pac-Man's FS should change the screen to a randomly generated maze, the enemies flashing blue sprites of their NES games. Pac-Man has a limited time to traverse the maze to eat them.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Here's a topic: Final Smashes. Who do you think has a new final smash, instead of their smash from Brawl? Also, what do you think it would be?

For me, i'll state the obvious: Mega Lucario. Lucario would be powerful, faster, and invincible to knockback, but could still take damage. It would also represent the newest generation in a character.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Here's a topic: Final Smashes. Who do you think has a new final smash, instead of their smash from Brawl? Also, what do you think it would be?

For me, i'll state the obvious: Mega Lucario. Lucario would be powerful, faster, and invincible to knockback, but could still take damage. It would also represent the newest generation in a character.
Pit with the Sacred Treasures. Peach hopefully with at least an updated Peach Blossom. I would like to see that new Supernova Kirby where he swallows everything. But that's really all I can think of. And hopefully Mario's Finale can be a bit more useful.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Adding another Sonic character would not really serve a point at all. Sonic is a guest, not an established member of this Smash party that Nintendo hosts. That means he won't be inviting friends from his place over nilly willy. The metaphor of parties and houseguests works very well here, honestly.
Sonic is more than just a guest, I don't understand how you people don't see that! Seeing as he is the only third party character who is returning, and in smash to stay, you are basically saying that Sakurai should continue doing a poor job representing Sonic, he's too famous to get cut, and too famous to be in it alone. The Willy Nilly thing only means that the Sonic franchise is limited to a maximum of two characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Apparently trophies, stages, music, and stickers aren't enough to represent Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also apparently CliffJumper works for Sora Ltd or Bandai Namco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom