• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Are we talking Pichu movesets here? I'm game!

Personally, I was thinking recently about a 'magnet' inspired moveset recently after all the discussion about Plusle and Minun that Brawl has inspired. Smash, for those who aren't aware, already has physics that allow it to mimic pushing and pulling forces (a la Kirby's inhale, G&W's up aerial and Wispy Woods). What I'm proposing then, is a character that could somehow switch (either by B move, or by a taunt like Samus in Project M) between a positive and negative charge, which would change the effects of certain specials and physical attacks to either gently push away from the character (for spacing purposes; indicated by a red tint on attacks) or gently pull things towards the character (for combos and multi-hit moves; indicated by a blue tint on attacks).

I know magnetism isn't exactly Pichu's domain, but the Plusle/Minun and Pikachu families have some implied relation and Sakurai has thrown canon out of the window many times (Ness, Lucas, Ganondorf, etc). It wouldn't necessarily have to be Pichu either - but some kind of character (preferably an electric Pokemon) with this mechanic would be hella cool.

P.S. Make it Notch-Ear Pichu 'cos he's one fly motherfrucker

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, it seems that everyone here is in a mood to discuss Pokemon.

Any characters worth discussing there? Mewtwo? Pokemon Trainer? Jigglypuff?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hey guys, I don't think movesets are considered on-topic. They're about the characters, but not the roster itself, so let's try not to put too much time into them. Unfortunately, I'm without a topic to suggest, but I still thought I should put that out there.
Um...this isn't the Roster thread. It's the character thread. Therefore movesets constitute topical discussion.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

Everything besides the super super unlikely's have been talked about to death.
-Mewtwo is everyone's choice for that returning veteran
-Pokemon Trainer is always on the ropes of being cut.
-Jigglypuff is most likely staying, but their's a few vocal people who say otherwise.
-Generation 6 is almost certainly not having a newcomer, nothing close to fit the role besides Sylveon and Hawlucha who even then are head scratchers.
-Gen 3 has a lot of potential for popular pokemon, but most of them aren't relevant enough.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Um...this isn't the Roster thread. It's the character thread. Therefore movesets constitute topical discussion.
I think that's abusing a technicality, though. While it is technically discussing a character, it'd make much more sense to bring movesets to threads based around that character rather than the general discussion thread. Just my opinion, of coarse.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

The only newcomer for Pokemon I want is Wes. With Mirror B. as an AT.

All the rest can go f*** them selves.

(unless we count Mewtwo as a newcomer. He's cool)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think that's abusing a technicality, though. While it is technically discussing a character, it'd make much more sense to bring movesets to threads based around that character rather than the general discussion thread. Just my opinion, of coarse.
Well no one has ever been called out for discussing them, so clearly it's a non-issue. Listing a moveset is the same as discussing that character. I don't see why bothers you though, it's not like it would cause any issues.

---

As for Pokemon, I think Brawl+Mewtwo is almost guaranteed. If we get another character, Pichu, Meowth, or Zoroark might be our best bets.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I don't think moveset discussion is looked down upon. Talking about the state of the thread, however, definitely is.

In other news, if we're talking about Pokemon I'd like to throw the Zoroark card back onto the playing field. Zoroark seems relatively down-and-out due to his inability to muster up popularity on par with Lucario/Mewtwo, not to mention his less-than-special design. What he does have, however, is an ace-in-the-hole - although most won't admit it, illusion definitely has the capability to be a unique and character-defining gimmick, especially under Sakurai's supervision. People don't support Zoroark's inclusion a large amount but I'd consider him to be a Rosalina-type situation in that you'd have to see the moveset for yourself before you could really judge his deserving-ness in Smash. :v

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well no one has ever been called out for discussing them, so clearly it's a non-issue. Listing a moveset is the same as discussing that character. I don't see why bothers you though, it's not like it would cause any issues.
Yeah, I guess I'm just being a little too cautious about it.

Anyhow, on to Pokemon; Brawl + Mewtwo is easily the most popular layout amongst us. I wouldn't mind seeing Floette instead of Mewtwo, though, just out of personal bias.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Part of me wants to say Brawl + Mewtwo is the most legitimate choice, but you know what? I don't think it is.

Sakurai already blew things out of the water long ago, first by announcing Toon Link so early on (when Toon Link was considered one of the more likely cuts to a good chunk of the fanbase), and secondly when Rosalina was announced (among most fans either expecting Paper Mario/Junior/Toad/Waluigi or for a lot of people, expecting no Mario newcomers at all). Lucario is here in spite of many expecting his removal (though I wasn't one of them) and we all missed the mark for Wii Fit Trainer.

Collectively, the Smash fanbase is awful at predicting these things. DK/Diddy/Rool, Pikachu/Mewtwo/Jiggs/Trainer/Lucario and Marth/Ike/[Roy/Chrom] seem like the obvious choices, but my gut instinct tells me that it's not going to be that clean-cut or vanilla.

Watch this space.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
seriously doubt it XD

let's see what you got.
As you wish. I already need to add an additional rule however; I cannot use characters that have already been deconfirmed. Otherwise I would just copy a picture of skull kid 12 times.

WishList.png

Well, there it is. A true blue 'wishlist' roster, although if I could have my way I would start cutting older characters like mad to make room for newer ones. Ike, Falco, Pokemon Trainer would all be subbed out for Shulk, Palutena, and Sylveon. We ended up having essentially no one in common, although I was sorely tempted by Kamek's magic-y goodness. Eventually I decided Robin and Black Mage were enough for my need to have playable spellcasters, and that I could live without him.

The characters were chosen in all but one or two cases based on what I thought they could bring in terms of an interesting moveset. Chrom is the exception; I think he's a pretty cool character. I considered swapping him for Lucina, whom I like more, but I honestly think she'd make a better alt costume for Marth. Also, it bugs me that I had to re-add Mewtwo, but such is life. I was tempted to kick him for something awesome like Goomy or Klefki though.

Note this is a wishlist roster, I'm painfully aware of how unlikely the good majority of my characters are and how potentially unpopular some of my choices are. And also how big this is, I was just playing by the rules set out for me. Brawl + Current Newcomers + 12.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The only Pokémon I shall accept in this game is Krookodile, any other answer is wrong!

Unless it's Greninja or Feraligatr

Part of me wants to say Brawl + Mewtwo is the most legitimate choice, but you know what? I don't think it is.

Sakurai already blew things out of the water long ago, first by announcing Toon Link so early on (when Toon Link was considered one of the more likely cuts to a good chunk of the fanbase), and secondly when Rosalina was announced (among most fans either expecting Paper Mario/Junior/Toad/Waluigi or for a lot of people, expecting no Mario newcomers at all). Lucario is here in spite of many expecting his removal (though I wasn't one of them) and we all missed the mark for Wii Fit Trainer.

Collectively, the Smash fanbase is awful at predicting these things. DK/Diddy/Rool, Pikachu/Mewtwo/Jiggs/Trainer/Lucario and Marth/Ike/[Roy/Chrom] seem like the obvious choices, but my gut instinct tells me that it's not going to be that clean-cut or vanilla.

Watch this space.
To be fair, we did get Mega Man and Little Mac so it's not like we're completely off the mark. I do think we're going to get at least one more character we don't expect (or consider lower tier), but that doesn't mean we couldn't get characters like King K. Rool or Mewtwo in the process

CalumG

Smash Lord
The only Pokémon I shall accept in this game is Krookodile, any other answer is wrong!

Unless it's Greninja or Feraligatr

To be fair, we did get Mega Man and Little Mac so it's not like we're completely off the mark. I do think we're going to get at least one more character we don't expect (or consider lower tier), but that doesn't mean we couldn't get characters like King K. Rool or Mewtwo in the process
Definitely! I'm not saying the fanbase is always wrong, but the overwhelming majority tend to get it wrong more often than they get it right.

And I definitely see Mewtwo happening either way. However, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to do something far more sinister, bringing back Mewtwo but axing either Trainer or Jiggs (original 12 be damned) for a Pokemon newcomer. Or no cuts, with Pokemon ending up with more than Mario - who knows? At this point, fan logic has already gone out the window and we're at the mercy of Sakurai's whims.

Oh and Cranky Kong over K. Rool 'cos I can definitely see Sakurai being that type of guy. K. Rool may be a shoe-in for us, but with Cranky's recent outing and his major involvement in the original DK saga (Barrels etc.), who knows which one would get prioritised?

I'm just throwing out random suggestions here of course, but the point is that just because the majority of fans support a choice (for example the overwhelming majority who want Brawl + Mewtwo) that doesn't mean it's actually going to happen.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The fanbase tends to be wrong because they look into things that aren't there and mistreat statements and bloat it to ridiculous proportions.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am the thread.
I'm only familiar with Generation I of Pokemon.
A lot of people are. Which is why many later gens get PokeBall status instead of playable, and why we have Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo.

A lot of people are.
You mean like

I love to talk about this but I actually would be incredibly surprised.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Watch this space.
Well, I would say that with Pokemon, there just aren't that many good options for that fifth slot aside from Mewtwo, and there isn't much reason to cut any of the characters we have. You bring up Rosalina, yet the Mario slot was one that certainly had a lot of competition and a lot of potentially good choices. Pokemon, despite its sheer size of characters, is lacking in terms of really viable character options. Nothing from the latest generation really sticks out as an obvious choice, and candidates from past generations just don't hold up quite as well now (Zoroark, for instance). Mewtwo, on the other hand, is significant to the series as a whole, can represent the latest generation, and is by far one of, if not THE, most wanted character for Smash. There isn't really a good reason NOT to add him in.

As for the Brawl characters, only Pokemon Trainer and Jigglypuff are unconfirmed. Jigglypuff is pretty safe, I think. Being one of the original twelve characters almost guarantees that she'll be on the roster, and with her new Fairy typing, she has all the more reason to be there. Pokemon Trainer also seems like an unlikely cut, in my opinion. It was a unique concept introduced that gave fans a chance to play as some of the most popular Pokemon of all time coughCharizardcough, and aside from technical issues, there isn't much reason to remove it, and certainly no reason to update him with different Pokemon, either. So overall, I think the Brawl roster of characters are fairly safe.

So, in regards to us not predicting characters correctly... Wii Fit Trainer was pretty much chosen because no one expected her, so she kind of did her job there, and we did get characters like Mega Man and Little Mac right. We're not doing that bad, actually.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Sakurai is really good a surprising/trolling us. He's been giving us unexpected newcomers, and when we DID expect them to be on the roster, we got them revealed when we weren't expecting them. I'm really excited to see what he has for us next! :D

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'm just throwing out random suggestions here of course, but the point is that just because the majority of fans support a choice (for example the overwhelming majority who want Brawl + Mewtwo) that doesn't mean it's actually going to happen.
Well, the fact that Little Mac was brought into the fold at all (and perhaps Mega Man, to a lesser extent) shows that fan demand/request/popularity is at least one factor for roster selection. Little Mac is only popular in the West, which shows that they've been examining international fanbases.

Not that the final roster will be total fanservice - we can surely expect more obscure/less popular/totally left field picks before it's all said and done. But I also think we can expect a few more highly requested/popular characters as well (such as K Rool and Mewtwo, for example). Ideally, the roster will have a reasonable balance between fanservice/worthiness/uniqueness in its Newcomer selection.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I do agree that the most accepted route to take is Brawl Pokemon+Mewtwo, but I could see Game Freak wanting to advertise X and Y with either Blaziken or Victini. What that would mean for the likes of P. Trainer, Mewtwo, and Jigglypuff, I don't know, since I'm not the game developer.

Oh and Cranky Kong over K. Rool 'cos I can definitely see Sakurai being that type of guy. K. Rool may be a shoe-in for us, but with Cranky's recent outing and his major involvement in the original DK saga (Barrels etc.), who knows which one would get prioritised?
Eh, I don't know about this. Normally, I'd agree with Sakurai's ability to take a character few wanted, usurp the character of the series that was most wanted, and still end up getting everyone to like unknown character by making them unique *coughcough* ROSALINA *cough*. However, because we are talking about one of the most wanted characters in the world, I'm inclined to say that more damage than good would be dealt if Cranky made it in over K. Rool.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
The only newcomer for Pokemon I want is Wes. With Mirror B. as an AT.

All the rest can go f*** them selves.

(unless we count Mewtwo as a newcomer. He's cool)
You've just mentioned 2 characters from my all time favorite game, you win the internet for the night. Seriously though, Mirror B's theme would fit SO WELL IN SMASH.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Well, the fact that Little Mac was brought into the fold at all (and perhaps Mega Man, to a lesser extent) shows that fan demand/request/popularity is at least one factor for roster selection. Little Mac is only popular in the West, which shows that they've been examining international fanbases.
To be fair, we don't really know at all what prompted Little Mac's inclusion - it may not even be a popularity thing. After all, for all the popularity Little Mac has, we could assume only a chunk of those people are the original Punch-Out fans. A good portion of Little Mac supporters were people who supported him due to his initial AT appearance in Brawl. Who's to say then that Sakurai didn't just have a soft spot for Little Mac already? After all, he included Little Mac as an AT in the first place which led to much of the popularity Little Mac now has. If he didn't like him as a character, he wouldn't put him in.

A good way of looking at it is that Sakurai uses fan-opinion to help make decisions - but only if he was already leaning in that direction/considering that idea already. If Sakurai absolutely loathed the concept of, say, Krystal being in Smash (purely for hypotheticals, nothing against her), then no amount of fan-demand or recency (assuming they resurrected Star Fox) would convince the man to put her in.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
To be fair, we don't really know at all what prompted Little Mac's inclusion - it may not even be a popularity thing. After all, for all the popularity Little Mac has, we could assume only a chunk of those people are the original Punch-Out fans. A good portion of Little Mac supporters were people who supported him due to his initial AT appearance in Brawl. Who's to say then that Sakurai didn't just have a soft spot for Little Mac already? After all, he included Little Mac as an AT in the first place which led to much of the popularity Little Mac now has. If he didn't like him as a character, he wouldn't put him in.

A good way of looking at it is that Sakurai uses fan-opinion to help make decisions - but only if he was already leaning in that direction/considering that idea already. If Sakurai absolutely loathed the concept of, say, Krystal being in Smash (purely for hypotheticals, nothing against her), then no amount of fan-demand or recency (assuming they resurrected Star Fox) would convince the man to put her in.
So, in other words, Sakurai is as biased in choosing our characters we are. He doesn't follow a golden standard, he chooses characters he likes too, but the difference is he likes character that are viable.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

This might explain waluigi. His demand was very high, but I don't think Sakurai liked his character. I'm sure there are plenty of other factors, but that might be one of them.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

It would be pretty saddening if Sakurai loathed the concept of K Rool or Mewtwo, resulting in their exclusion. :sadeyes:

I neither think Sakurai overly relies on fanbase requests and opinions to dictate his decisions. But it does serve as a useful gauge; if Sakurai added nothing but obscure picks that people have zero interest in/have zero knowledge of, then he'd risk alienating portions of the consumer base, which is fiscally counter-productive.

Doesn't Sakurai have Four Smash Criteria for Newcomer inclusion, or something along those lines? I think I read somewhere that one of them was the question of whether the given character would make the consumer want to buy the game (more so than they already might), or to generate more interest. Adding a character a lot of people want would certainly help the selling potential of the game (so long as said character also responds to the rest of the necessary criteria).

That's the important point, I think. If a highly requested character doesn't satisfy the rest of check boxes for inclusion, then it can result in their omission. Thankfully, when it comes to K Rool and Mewtwo (among others), I think they satisfy many other criteria besides popularity (uniqueness, significance in home franchises, how well they would fit in SSB4, etc.), which increases their global chances by extension.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Definitely! I'm not saying the fanbase is always wrong, but the overwhelming majority tend to get it wrong more often than they get it right.

And I definitely see Mewtwo happening either way. However, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to do something far more sinister, bringing back Mewtwo but axing either Trainer or Jiggs (original 12 be damned) for a Pokemon newcomer. Or no cuts, with Pokemon ending up with more than Mario - who knows? At this point, fan logic has already gone out the window and we're at the mercy of Sakurai's whims.

Of course not, and I do expect some variation from the popular norm whether it'll be a few cuts or newcomers we don't expect (in fact, the former is what I've been worrying about lately), I'm just hesitant to say that it's going to be mostly wrong. Regardless of the reason, we do get those popular choices, we did get Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Ike, Meta Knight, and so on back in Brawl, all of which we expected despite having those options like ROB and PT. The unexpected ones were there, but didn't completely overshadow the expected.

I feel that at least it'll be a mixture of the two this time around, some things we don't expect (like WFT), but some we do (like Little Mac). There will be surprise I'm sure, but I don't think what we do expect will be mostly gone at the same time. Popularity is an influencing factor, and while it's not a defining one, it is one of the markers we can use.

You mean like

I love to talk about this but I actually would be incredibly surprised.
I can't see the picture unfortunately, sorry.

Last edited:

CalumG

Smash Lord
This might explain waluigi. His demand was very high, but I don't think Sakurai liked his character. I'm sure there are plenty of other factors, but that might be one of them.
Waluigi is a great example. The caption Sakurai left with Waluigi says it all:

"Pic of the day. Once again, Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!! …Which also means he's not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."

I mean, maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but to me the subtext of this statement is 'just because you really want something, doesn't always make it viable'. Most of the time I think it's simply that he sees a lack of potential in a certain character (hence why he sometimes leaves characters out but re-includes them in later iterations once he's thought up ideas for them) but it legitimately wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai just plain doesn't like Weegee's mirror image

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Waluigi is a great example. The caption Sakurai left with Waluigi says it all:

"Pic of the day. Once again, Waluigi's Assist Trophy joins the collection!! …Which also means he's not a playable character. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."

I mean, maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but to me the subtext of this statement is 'just because you really want something, doesn't always make it viable'. Most of the time I think it's simply that he sees a lack of potential in a certain character (hence why he sometimes leaves characters out but re-includes them in later iterations once he's thought up ideas for them) but it legitimately wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai just plain doesn't like Weegee's mirror image
I think that was jokingly referring to Waluigi. I don't think there's many other choices that fit the same bill as Waluigi.
Perhaps Krystal.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I totally love the idea of a Wes + Espeon/Umbreon tag team.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time seeing Pokemon spin-off content in Smash 4... unless if we already got some in Brawl?...

Did we though? Iirc, I think the Pokemon trophies use the 3D models from PBR, but in terms of music, stickers, actual character trophies, etc.? I know there's the Zero-One trophy in Melee, but I'm drawing a blank for everything else.

I really hope we get some content from the spin-off games, though. The Pokemon franchise is so much more than the mainline games... I mean if we got some spin-off Mario stuff, why not?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
As you wish. I already need to add an additional rule however; I cannot use characters that have already been deconfirmed. Otherwise I would just copy a picture of skull kid 12 times.

View attachment 9766

Well, there it is. A true blue 'wishlist' roster, although if I could have my way I would start cutting older characters like mad to make room for newer ones. Ike, Falco, Pokemon Trainer would all be subbed out for Shulk, Palutena, and Sylveon. We ended up having essentially no one in common, although I was sorely tempted by Kamek's magic-y goodness. Eventually I decided Robin and Black Mage were enough for my need to have playable spellcasters, and that I could live without him.

The characters were chosen in all but one or two cases based on what I thought they could bring in terms of an interesting moveset. Chrom is the exception; I think he's a pretty cool character. I considered swapping him for Lucina, whom I like more, but I honestly think she'd make a better alt costume for Marth. Also, it bugs me that I had to re-add Mewtwo, but such is life. I was tempted to kick him for something awesome like Goomy or Klefki though.

Note this is a wishlist roster, I'm painfully aware of how unlikely the good majority of my characters are and how potentially unpopular some of my choices are. And also how big this is, I was just playing by the rules set out for me. Brawl + Current Newcomers + 12.
that one's not even that unrealistic, lol

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I totally love the idea of a Wes + Espeon/Umbreon tag team.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time seeing Pokemon spin-off content in Smash 4... unless if we already got some in Brawl?...

Did we though? Iirc, I think the Pokemon trophies use the 3D models from PBR, but in terms of music, stickers, actual character trophies, etc.? I know there's the Zero-One trophy in Melee, but I'm drawing a blank for everything else.

I really hope we get some content from the spin-off games, though. The Pokemon franchise is so much more than the mainline games... I mean if we got some spin-off Mario stuff, why not?
Honestly, I think Wes & Umbreon/Espeon is a great idea, you kill two birds with one stone - Eevee-lutions trainer and Pokemon Colosseum representation.

Plus Wes is so cool.

?????????????

Smash Master
I would love Colosseum/XD/Battle Revolution music. A stage based on those games would be 100x better than the bland Pokemon Stadium stages we've had. Poketopia? That'd be a sweeeet stage upgrade.

?????????????

Smash Master
As far as characters themselves go, I would not mind Midna. Just taking characters at face value as they are, I think she's much more interesting than Ghirahim or Vaati.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom