• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I for one find Krystal to be incredibly overrated.

I don't think her chances are shot, but she has stiff competition. Less newcomers, focus on new series, and the big hitters in Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo, Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Isaac...the odds are certainly not in her favor.

Star Fox is certainly not a large series, and is certainly not as active as it once was. I won't rage if she gets in, unless Falco or Wolf gets cut.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I don't mind Lucas and Ness using attacks they don't actually know in canon, mainly because it doesn't really hurt much in the end anyway. Super Smash Bros. isn't really a series that is canon to any series (barring rare canon immigration situations), so it shouldn't be much of an issue anyway. Besides, it's at least handwaved via the trophies that Ness and Lucas were taught those attacks from Paula/Kumatora, so it technically isn't completely random.

You just got to remember that with a series like Super Smash Bros., it can get away with liberties. If it's for the sake of fleshing out a moveset, it shouldn't be an issue.
Oh, believe me I know.

It's more of a personal thing with me. Which is strange because I'm mostly fine with everyone else who uses non-canon moves. Perhaps it's because I main Lucas? Dunno.

What I do hope, though, is that Ness/Lucas to receive some sort of buff/change to their recovery (I can't remember how PM handled them). Something to make them less gimpable, or am I asking for too much?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Star Fox is certInly not a large series, and is certainly not as active as it once was. I won't rage if she gets in, unless Falco or Wolf gets cut.
Same here... but they better not cut Wolf... he feels more unique than Falco! :mad:

But seriously, I don't care for this franchise... never did, never will...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Eh, I just want to keep the Star Fox characters we have now. It's obvious that Fox himself will pretty much stay in every installment of the series. But Falco and Wolf, I think warrant their spots. More so on Wolf's part, as he's the more unique character.

?????????????

Smash Master
A lot of people believe that the "Original 12" are irreplaceable; they will be in every Smash installment. I myself would like to extend this courtesy to any character that was both in Melee and Brawl, and in the future, any character that was in both Brawl and SSB4.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Out of the original 12, the only characters I could see cut with bias aside are Ness (if Lucas is staying) and Jigglypuff (for a better Pokemon character).
I don't see why Lucas would pose a threat to Ness anymore, that was only a possible scenario for Melee, since then Lucas has lost his advertising flavor and is miles behind Ness as a fan favorite and an international face. There's a slim chance Jiggs might not make it, but honestly, the only reason she's ever made it is because she's so damn easy to make, and that hasn't changed since.

I do believe that the Original 12 are secured, and also the Melee veterans that made the leap to Brawl. The only guys I worry about are some of the Brawl veterans.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't see any real reasons to doubt Wario, Meta-Knight, and Lucas coming back. I can kind of understand worrying about Snake if Nintendo or Konami didn't want him in for whatever reason. But there's really no harm to either company in adding him. Ike could be replaced if Intelligence Systems requested it, which would suck. But he has popularity and an original moveset on his side. And then you got Wolf, who might not make it in,if he's low priority like he apparently was in Brawl. Though looking at Toon Link, I don't know if that's an issue.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Should the occasion arise where a choice is needed to be made between the two, I would actually prefer Lucas over Ness. I thought he was a better character from a better game, and they both offer the same stuff as far as moveset goes; if anything, Lucas offers more.

In that scenario, I don't think my opinion is necessarily the likely outcome. Just what I'd prefer.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm not into the Earthbound series myself. Or most RPG's outside of Pokemon, Megaman Spin-Offs, and Mario Spin-Offs. But I'm fine with both staying. I like Ness' playstyle a little more though. So he'd be my preferred choice of the two.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I don't see any real reasons to doubt Wario, Meta-Knight, and Lucas coming back. I can kind of understand worrying about Snake if Nintendo or Konami didn't want him in for whatever reason. But there's really no harm to either company in adding him. Ike could be replaced if Intelligence Systems requested it, which would suck. But he has popularity and an original moveset on his side. And then you got Wolf, who might not make it in,if he's low priority like he apparently was in Brawl. Though looking at Toon Link, I don't know if that's an issue.
Wolf is the second most important Sf character...

D

Deleted member

If you consider Toon Link is back, I think we can get rid of any thoughts we're losing remotely unique movesets. Lucas more than Toon Link is a distinguished fighter using his stick, a wholly unique form of Ness' specials, and memorably original smashes compared to Ness' yo-yo. The only worrying factor is that Ness isn't revealed yet, and the later he's revealed, the less time there is for Lucas. I'd imagine that we'll only get the two Earthbounds boys again this game and no new rep. Which is a little sad given the potential of characters like Porky.

?????????????

Smash Master
Wolf is the second most important Sf character...
Eh.......I don't know about that. Actually, I blatantly disagree.

I'd argue that he is generally an extra character. His role is great, but the original Star Fox game did fine without him. The focus is on Fox and his teammates, and the central villain is Andross.

Wolf was little more than a notable boss in 64. Assault was the first thing to explore his character, and I think Command made him very interesting. But the core team of Star Fox members have always had significant roles, not to mention Andross.

Wolf is awesome, but I definitely wouldn't call him the "second most important character".

We don't need to flood the SSB roster with the entire Star Fox team, but I do believe Falco's inclusion over and before Wolf is warranted.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If you consider Toon Link is back, I think we can get rid of any thoughts we're losing remotely unique movesets. Lucas more than Toon Link is a distinguished fighter using his stick, a wholly unique form of Ness' specials, and memorably original smashes compared to Ness' yo-yo. The only worrying factor is that Ness isn't revealed yet, and the later he's revealed, the less time there is for Lucas. I'd imagine that we'll only get the two Earthbounds boys again this game and no new rep. Which is a little sad given the potential of characters like Porky.
I would argue that pretty much every Semi-Clone and Clone is has more going for them than Toon Link. But I could be forgetting how many unique attacks he has of his own. Still wished he had the Skull Hammer and the Deku Leaf/Roc's Feather. Maybe throw in the Iron Boots and the Pegasus Boots too.

D

Deleted member

I would argue that pretty much every Semi-Clone and Clone is has more going for them than Toon Link. But I could be forgetting how many unique attacks he has of his own. Still wished he had the Skull Hammer and the Deku Leaf/Roc's Feather. Maybe throw in the Iron Boots and the Pegasus Boots too.
Oh definitely, Toon Link's cloned set should have the Wind Waker equipment, it's criminal that Sakurai didn't make use of those tools. They have such obvious, immensely fun potential. Not to mention in all his spin-off games too, albeit not the same guy in Spirit Tracks, nonetheless a wasted opportunity for very fun moves.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Oh definitely, Toon Link's cloned set should have the Wind Waker equipment, it's criminal that Sakurai didn't make use of those tools. They have such obvious, immensely fun potential. Not to mention in all his spin-off games too, albeit not the same guy in Spirit Tracks, nonetheless a wasted opportunity for very fun moves.
Remember, we have yet to see either Link's Side Special. I am expecting them both to have a new, unique one. ^^

Maybe, Whip for Link, Deku Leaf for Toon?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think people forget that in combat, the Star Fox team would probably get dominated if it weren't for Falco. He's an ace pilot.

Peppy is retired, Slippy is simply a mechanic, Krystal has basically no experience being a pilot. By the time Assault and Command come around, Falco is easily the second most important member to the team. More important than Krystal by far. That is essentially inarguable to me.

Krystal is basically the damsel in distress in Adventures (I never played it but that's what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong). Then she gets shoehorned into the team because Peppy retires. Frankly, I think the team that made Star Fox moved along in the storyline far too fast. It's what...3 games after 64 and Fox already has a kid? Are you kidding me? Slow that down man.

I feel almost like Krystal was crammed into the Star Fox canon because there wasn't a female available besides one that shows up once with an unclear past in 64 (Kat or whatever).

Now you're probably all think I hate Krystal; I don't. I used to support her on the grounds of believing that Smash needed more female fighters. I do not directly support Krystal, especially over other characters. But under particular circumstances, I would not mind her. Those circumstances include:

Several other characters getting in alongside her (Ridley, Palutena, Mewtwo, K.Rool, Shulk...at the minimum)
Wolf AND Falco stay, as I believe that they are both far more important to Star Fox based on their appearances and roles.
- basically I compare the four to Mario.
Fox= Mario
Falco= Luigi
Wolf= Bowser
Krystal = Peach

To finish this post, I will say that...by the time Smash 6 comes around, and people are STILL clamoring for yet another Star Fox character if we get Krystal, I will rage. Star Fox is lucky enough to have 3 character if you ask me, and I love Star Fox.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well Nintendo can take notes with Star Fox from Capcom and how it handled the early DMC games. Capcom ignores DMC2, Nintendo ignores Star Fox Command. Everyone wins. All of the sequels never mention those games.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Should the occasion arise where a choice is needed to be made between the two, I would actually prefer Lucas over Ness. I thought he was a better character from a better game, and they both offer the same stuff as far as moveset goes; if anything, Lucas offers more.

In that scenario, I don't think my opinion is necessarily the likely outcome. Just what I'd prefer.
I liked Lucas too... I like that his stick can hit projectiles back at opponents. I don't think Ness's baseball bat can do that... I also liked his PK Fire because it knocks opponents away from him... and I like PK Freeze but I feel it should be buffed to deal more damage and keep enemies frozen longer... I think the snake rope should be a little bit longer too...

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Eh.......I don't know about that. Actually, I blatantly disagree.

I'd argue that he is generally an extra character. His role is great, but the original Star Fox game did fine without him. The focus is on Fox and his teammates, and the central villain is Andross.

Wolf was little more than a notable boss in 64. Assault was the first thing to explore his character, and I think Command made him very interesting. But the core team of Star Fox members have always had significant roles, not to mention Andross.

Wolf is awesome, but I definitely wouldn't call him the "second most important character".

We don't need to flood the SSB roster with the entire Star Fox team, but I do believe Falco's inclusion over and before Wolf is warranted.
As a Huge sf fan I must disagree Wolf is Fox's main rival and lead of a rival team (Andross could never be playable so I ignore him) falco is fox's second in command which is important but not opposing rival important.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
It's unlikely, but I really would like to see some acknowledgement of Chibi-Robo (even if just an AT)
And I like K Rool, but would they end up making him a bowser semi-clone?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I think people forget that in combat, the Star Fox team would probably get dominated if it weren't for Falco. He's an ace pilot.

Peppy is retired, Slippy is simply a mechanic, Krystal has basically no experience being a pilot. By the time Assault and Command come around, Falco is easily the second most important member to the team. More important than Krystal by far. That is essentially inarguable to me.

Krystal is basically the damsel in distress in Adventures (I never played it but that's what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong). Then she gets shoehorned into the team because Peppy retires. Frankly, I think the team that made Star Fox moved along in the storyline far too fast. It's what...3 games after 64 and Fox already has a kid? Are you kidding me? Slow that down man.

I feel almost like Krystal was crammed into the Star Fox canon because there wasn't a female available besides one that shows up once with an unclear past in 64 (Kat or whatever).

Now you're probably all think I hate Krystal; I don't. I used to support her on the grounds of believing that Smash needed more female fighters. I do not directly support Krystal, especially over other characters. But under particular circumstances, I would not mind her. Those circumstances include:

Several other characters getting in alongside her (Ridley, Palutena, Mewtwo, K.Rool, Shulk...at the minimum)
Wolf AND Falco stay, as I believe that they are both far more important to Star Fox based on their appearances and roles.
- basically I compare the four to Mario.
Fox= Mario
Falco= Luigi
Wolf= Bowser
Krystal = Peach

To finish this post, I will say that...by the time Smash 6 comes around, and people are STILL clamoring for yet another Star Fox character if we get Krystal, I will rage. Star Fox is lucky enough to have 3 character if you ask me, and I love Star Fox.
Responding to the earlier parts on Krystal, she is originally the heroine but is turned into the damsel because she is captured for her tribes power (she is supposedly the last of her kind after her planet was wiped out, she is looking to find the cause and came across a distress signal on Sauria (Dinosaur Planet).) its used to collect the power of the krazoa spirits to resurrect (SPOILER). After she is freed she immediately starts to try and fight the main villian with her staff to no avail since she doesnt have her arwing on hand. Also Command isnt canon so dont worry about that stupid kid part, its way too soon for anything like that, Command was all around an atrosity that should be forgotten. Also Krystal was a pilot before assualt and owned an arwing, she's so good a pilot that she can pilot a dang dinosaur, as to how she could speak each language was probably due to her telepathy, there is still a ton of lore to be explored with Krystal's past and abilities so dont right her importance off too early.

Also I agree that after Krystal no other sf characters are warranted ever (unless the next game makes some amazing new character or something that is a must have)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's unlikely, but I really would like to see some acknowledgement of Chibi-Robo (even if just an AT)
And I like K Rool, but would they end up making him a bowser semi-clone?
I can see an AT maybe, a new Chibi-Robo 3DS game is coming out soon.

K. Rool being a Bowser semi-clone is almost an in-joke. The two characters are completely at odds.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Responding to the earlier parts on Krystal, she is originally the heroine but is turned into the damsel because she is captured for her tribes power (she is supposedly the last of her kind after her planet was wiped out, she is looking to find the cause and came across a distress signal on Sauria (Dinosaur Planet).) its used to collect the power of the krazoa spirits to resurrect (SPOILER). After she is freed she immediately starts to try and fight the main villian with her staff to no avail since she doesnt have her arwing on hand. Also Command isnt canon so dont worry about that stupid kid part, its way too soon for anything like that, Command was all around an atrosity that should be forgotten. Also Krystal was a pilot before assualt and owned an arwing, she's so good a pilot that she can pilot a dang dinosaur, as to how she could speak each language was probably due to her telepathy, there is still a ton of lore to be explored with Krystal's past and abilities so dont right her importance off too early.

Also I agree that after Krystal no other sf characters are warranted ever (unless the next game makes some amazing new character or something that is a must have)
If they could make Krystal a much more interesting character, then I would be fine with her inclusion. Like if they did a backstory game, and she was actually a former pilot for the Cornerian Army or something and was abandoned on Sauria...that would certainly be interesting.

For right now, I would welcome her as long as she is unique and the other characters get in alongside her. Otherwise it's no deal.

?????????????

Smash Master
As a Huge sf fan I must disagree Wolf is Fox's main rival and lead of a rival team (Andross could never be playable so I ignore him) falco is fox's second in command which is important but not opposing rival important.
I disagree. The fact that the original Star Fox does not have Wolf and still holds up as a good game leads me to believe he is a less necessary character, and certainly not the "second most important" character. And the fact Luigi was in Smash Bros. before Bowser leads me to believe that sidekicks are more important than villains, as far as SSB is concerned.

In fact, Falco himself should be a testament. Wolf could have been in Melee as a Fox clone, but Falco was picked. Not to mention Diddy Kong, picked before King K. Rool.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Honestly, I would simply recommend that Krystal supporters do not get ahead of themselves. She certainly isn't in the upper echelon of likelihood, mainly because she hasn't had a big role since Command which was forgettable anyway.

Again, I'm not saying that she can't happen. But I wouldn't consider her likely over a whole slew of other heavy hitters like I listed.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I disagree. The fact that the original Star Fox does not have Wolf and still holds up as a good game leads me to believe he is a less necessary character, and certainly not the "second most important" character. And the fact Luigi was in Smash Bros. before Bowser leads me to believe that sidekicks are more important than villains, as far as SSB is concerned.

In fact, Falco himself should be a testament. Wolf could have been in Melee as a Fox clone, but Falco was picked. Not to mention Diddy Kong, picked before King K. Rool.
It should have been wolf in melee, he was more requested and more warranted I remember when he was in the trailer everyone got hype but instead we got falco, then his fanbase exploded after that (especially with how good he was.), wolf has always made more of an impact on the story than falco ever did also I consider villains more important than sidekicks, we honestly should have gotten bowser in 64...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In fact, Falco himself should be a testament. Wolf could have been in Melee as a Fox clone, but Falco was picked.
Falco was more requested (according to Sakurai's poll) and looked more distinct to Fox than Wolf would have done, so it was probably an obvious choice. At this point Falco is one of the most popular characters to ever grace Smash, so while he might not be as unique as Wolf I don't think that matters a whole lot. I mean, he was prioritized higher than Wolf in Brawl, I don't see why that'd change anytime soon.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Falco was more requested (according to Sakurai's poll) and looked more distinct to Fox than Wolf would have done, so it was probably an obvious choice. At this point Falco is one of the most popular characters to ever grace Smash, so while he might not be as unique as Wolf I don't think that matters a whole lot. I mean, he was prioritized higher than Wolf in Brawl, I don't see why that'd change anytime soon.
Maybe according to his poll but definitely not overall his popularity was beneath Wolf's premelee as most starfox fans wanted him as the second newcomer but once falco was in he was beloved by all and his popularity skyrocketed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It should have been wolf in melee, he was more requested and more warranted I remember when he was in the trailer everyone got hype but instead we got falco, then his fanbase exploded after that (especially with how good he was.), wolf has always made more of an impact on the story than falco ever did also I consider villains more important than sidekicks, we honestly should have gotten bowser in 64...
Don't you think that it would be strange to not have Luigi in the first Smash Bros.? He at least made the 1-player mode more interesting.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I think you're talking about Ridley. (Assuming you're talking about this video)

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I think you're talking about Ridley. (Assuming you're talking about this video)
Yes I was hype for Ridley because he looked awesome (didnt know who he was at the time though but didnt care, he looked so cool!) and when I saw Wolf as an avid Star fox fan I about went bonkers. Then to my disappointment neither were in the game, hopefully this will all change soon with both Wolf and Ridley in SSB4... (Jesus what a ********* of a trailer)

Don't you think that it would be strange to not have Luigi in the first Smash Bros.? He at least made the 1-player mode more interesting.
Im not saying bowser should have replaced luigi Im saying bowser should have been in smash64.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gune

Smash Lord
I liked Lucas too... I like that his stick can hit projectiles back at opponents. I don't think Ness's baseball bat can do that... I also liked his PK Fire because it knocks opponents away from him... and I like PK Freeze but I feel it should be buffed to deal more damage and keep enemies frozen longer... I think the snake rope should be a little bit longer too...
Ness can knock back projectiles, he has a bat they are made for that man!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
if we get goroh and ridley, then all nintendo characters in the melee trailer (other than all those pokemon) would be in smash.

would be hype

D

Deleted member

64 master hand playable? HYPE.
I'm probably the only one who thought SSB 64's Master Hand looked like Mario's missing glove.

Anyways on the topic of Star Fox...I kinda see Krystal being the last Star Fox character added (If Star Fox does manage get a newcomer) & thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom