• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I thought the original expression was "too many swords", because it suggests people are using the weaponry as the scapegoat.
You're probably right. I'm sure you won't blame me for tuning out whenever discussions of that caliber begin.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To give a good perspective on Nintendo's March calender, regarding anniversaries and releases, besides Layton:

There's the potential for veteran reveals.

As for that last date, we actually may get an international Direct this month, as it is the end of Nintendo's fiscal year. An international Direct would boost the opinions of Nintendo's investors in a positive direction, if enough stuff is revealed. This is a good way to start the new fiscal year. A Smash newcomer could easily be revealed there.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
That doesn't matter. If Ganondorf is a clone of Captain Falcon, you can't have Samurai Goroh NOT be. Besides he shares the same Final Smash with Falcon.
Final smash =/= ENTIRE MOVESET
Iconic sure. But why does that make it essential?
Abso-freaking-lutely.
In the game he actually uses the sword less than Ganondorf.

So there is no problem with him NOT using the sword because he hardly ever does. So it's in no way essential.
he has used it in smash before. so why alienate people if he's back in?
Assist Trophy =/= Playable Character
many of mac's moves were taken from his assist trophy.
Mario and Wario can't perform the same abilities. Falcon and Goroh CAN. Sakurai even originally meant for Wario to be a Mario clone. He said he DESERVED better. Nothing about their body build. It's obvious he deserved better because he can't even perform the same abilities.
I spy a CONTRADICTION!

other than race fast, goroh doesn't share anything to captain falcon that I can think of.

also this point is bogus. why doesn't goroh deserve better than a falcon clone?

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Goroh would be a Falcon clone just like Rosalina is a Peach clone, right guys?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad
No way we get Snake on the release date of a game that doesn't even come out for Nintendo consoles.
I laugh whenever someone brings that up as a slight possibility.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys are wasting your time. If Sakurai's statements won't convince him, nothing will.

He very well might be arguing for the sake of arguing.

To give a good perspective on Nintendo's March calender, regarding anniversaries and releases, besides Layton:

As for that last date, we actually may get an international Direct this month, as it is the end of Nintendo's fiscal year. An international Direct would boost the opinions of Nintendo's investors in a positive direction, if enough stuff is revealed. This is a good way to start the new fiscal year. A Smash newcomer could easily be revealed there.
I can't see not getting Yoshi, but getting Snake would be pretty awesome. I dunno if Nintendo would be ok with a reveal due to a game not on their platforms though.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

2 Anniversaries that may or may not tie into possible newcomers for that possible Direct:

Super Metroid on the 19th and Kid Icarus Uprising on the 22nd

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052

Yoshi is a given, Snake won't be revealed to promote a game that's not even on Nintendo, and what's with the Wario game? Isn't that one Mega Microgames?

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I was content simply lurking about, but I'm finding it too hilarious that someone seriously thinks Samurai Goroh would be a clone of Captain Falcon. Is Meta Knight a clone of Kirby? I mean, same occupation (hero of Dream Land), same physique ( they're both balls with nubby limbs), they both know how to use a sword. Oh wait, they aren't the same? Didn't think so.

Seriously. Goroh is established as a samurai, inside of Smash and out. Please tell me how you would take all of Captain Falcon's moves and make them not look completely awkward coming from a very built overweight man like Goroh, while simultaneously making it believable that he's Falcon Goroh Kick-ing out of his sword.

Rant over.

I could see Yoshi and Wario being announced a week apart, as Little Mac and Diddy Kong were.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So do we think Takamaru, Shulk, Chrom, and Isaac will have the same Down Smash as all the other sword characters?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I noticed Mario Party is missing, that would also be a good opportunity to reveal Yoshi if they don't want to do the NA release date for Yoshi's Island. I honestly don't think Snake would be revealed for that release date, mostly because I'd assume that he'd be given the same treatment as Sonic in that regard so I'd assume if a direct shows up this month he's an option for it. PT or Jigglypuff could work for Battle Trozei and Wario obviously for Warioware.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I dunno if Nintendo would be ok with a reveal due to a game not on their platforms though.
So here's a question that may be really stupid but I'll ask it anyway:

Is there a possibility that maybe Konami has a little more say in the reveal plans than Nintendo? Just thought I'd throw that question out there for the sake of discussion. I know the 3rd party that owns the character (and even Pokemon Company in regards to Pokemon characters) have alot of say regarding the character in general, but how much say do they have (if any) regarding reveal plans?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Man, I love how you think this is some sort of slam dunk. We currently have Wolf and Young Zelda was planned for Brawl. Sakurai never said he didn't consider Goroh, only that he thought Ganondorf was the best option.

Check your facts.
1. Sakurai chose Ganondorf due to not having any other ideas for feasible clones. You're right, Sakurai never said Goroh wasn't considered, he said no other characters made feasible clones, which logically includes Goroh. Only Ganondorf did. Therefore, unless Sakurai forgot Goroh, he is not feasible in Sakurai's mind.
2. Sakurai thought Wolf made a good clone in Melee, but was too similar to Fox. Falco chosen. Sakurai presumably wasn't for adding two Fox clones in one game, which makes sense.
3. Young Zelda was not planned for Brawl. Toon Zelda was planned for Brawl.

Those are the facts.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To all the Snake naysayers:

Explain to me why a song from MGS4 was featured in Brawl, and Brawl was released before MGS4?

Also, explain why the Brawl version of Shadow Moses Island is based on the MGS4 version? (Snake revisits Shadow Moses in MGS4, and it is crawling with Geckos, and Metal Gear REX and RAY are present. In the Brawl version, all three types appear in the background. If the stage was based on the MGS1 version, only REX would appear).

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

Explain to me why a song from MGS4 was featured in Brawl, and Brawl was released before MGS4?

Also, explain why the Brawl version of Shadow Moses Island is based on the MGS4 version? (Snake revisits Shadow Moses in MGS4, and it is crawling with Geckos, and Metal Gear REX and RAY are present. In the Brawl version, all three types appear in the background. If the stage was based on the MGS1 version, only REX would appear).
I didn't know that. Very cool. The Love Theme in MGS4 is great, and the Smash rendition is also swell. :)

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

The weirdest part about Snake's appearance in Smash Bros Brawl was that it almost did seem as though it was a promotion for MGS4 between the Gekko and the Love Theme.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054

Not that I dislike Snake in any way, I just believe (and know) that Konami is capable of offering a rep that is more closely tied to Nintendo than Snake.

I am completely okay with Snake returning, but he never did really interest me in Brawl.

Groose

Smash Champion
http://youtu.be/0IgwzS04f-o
I know he's young, but this is a good reminder for me to stay stalking Smashboards and not YouTube or Miiverse

The only plausible character predictions are ones that have already been a game.
I was expecting the worst from this video.

...and then Batman is Number 10. Batman. Gentleman, I now have a new definition of worst.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero

I'm not being a "Snake naysayer", I'm saying that Snake will not be revealed on the release date of a game that isn't even coming to Wii U.
It just won't happen. I can see E3 or an upcoming Direct, but advertising a game for a competing console is pretty idiotic actually.
If Nintendo does it I will still stand by that opinion.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just to be clear, MGS4 was released on June 12th, 2008, internationally.

This predates the European and Australian release dates of Brawl, but the Japanese and American release dates for Brawl predate MGS4's release by a large margin.

Also, you guys DO realise that Snake was Brawl simply because Kojima and Sakurai are bros, right? Like, there is NO other reason why he is in the game. Sonic and Mega Man get in because they are arguably more important to Nintendo history than some actual Nintendo characters (and because of popular demand). Snake doesn't have any reason resembling that.

Also, Konami are not competitors to Nintendo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So here's a question that may be really stupid but I'll ask it anyway:

Is there a possibility that maybe Konami has a little more say in the reveal plans than Nintendo? Just thought I'd throw that question out there for the sake of discussion. I know the 3rd party that owns the character (and even Pokemon Company in regards to Pokemon characters) have alot of say regarding the character in general, but how much say do they have (if any) regarding reveal plans?
There is a possibility that Konami has say in reveal plans of Snake. Actually, I'm sure they have quite a bit of say over things regarding Snake. But as far as reveals go, Nintendo is ultimately the one in charge, it's their game, it's their money. Unless it was part of the contract for inclusion, Nintendo theoretically could veto whatever they wanted, and mentioning Snake's new game is one thing, but linking to it might be something else.

If anything I'd suspect they'd link to the 3DS one, even thought it's been out for a while. Smash might take content from MGS games not on Nintendo systems, but literally directing people to software only compatible with their competition seems like something Nintendo would try their best to avoid.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Of course, Metal Gear Solid V not being on Nintendo system won't effect much, with of course the irony being that it's repeating the same exact situation that happened with Brawl with Metal Gear IV.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not to mention Snake's arguably in a better position now, since he at least has the 3DS port.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Snake won't, or at least shouldn't be cut. He's one of the most unique characters in the game, and there are plenty of other reasons to keep him.

Plus he's my homeboy :snake:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Snake won't, or at least shouldn't be cut. He's one of the most unique characters in the game, and there are plenty of other reasons to keep him.

Plus he's my homeboy :snake:
But Scoliosis, he's SCARY! He's NOT NINTENDO! He's TOO BROKEN!

How could you be this delusional I mean GAWDZ.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I really don't see why Snake should be cut. Most reasons people give for cutting him are things that, frankly, didn't seem to matter when he got into Brawl. Being the first Third-Party character doesn't hurt either.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
But Scoliosis, he's SCARY! He's NOT NINTENDO! He's TOO BROKEN!

How could you be this delusional I mean GAWDZ.
I think the worst argument against him that I've heard is that the HD graphics make brighter colors look great, and because Snake wore gray, he would be left out.

I don't think I've actually seen a good argument against Snake as it is.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'm not being a "Snake naysayer", I'm saying that Snake will not be revealed on the release date of a game that isn't even coming to Wii U.
It just won't happen. I can see E3 or an upcoming Direct, but advertising a game for a competing console is pretty idiotic actually.
If Nintendo does it I will still stand by that opinion.
Who says they would be advertising it? Why can't it be stealing the spotlight instead?

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I think the worst argument against him that I've heard is that the HD graphics make brighter colors look great, and because Snake wore gray, he would be left out.

I don't think I've actually seen a good argument against Snake as it is.
If colors did matter we would not have got Toon Link in Brawl because the game has darker colors.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I find it odd that you want him in despite having no personal connection with him.
I would think that a majority of people would have no personal connection with Takamaru, considering his limited appearances and all that.

And I think it's fine to support characters that you don't have personal history with, especially if you believe said character is deserving of the title of Nintendo All-Star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom