• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Storms in my area. Probably gonna lose power soon.
:4robinm::4robinf: got in over chrom for being more unique.
:4lucina: got in solely because she was previously worked on as an :4marth:alt like :4alph::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy: and got promoted later to a full character with small differences like :4darkpit: & :4drmario:, unrelated to her father.

D

Deleted member

Judging by wording on previous interviews, it seems the differences came before the separations.
As in the changes are why the separations took place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Judging by wording on previous interviews, it seems the differences came before the separations.
As in the changes are why the separations took place.
I am honestly glad that they went with the change in that case. Prevented stupid arguments like "yeah, well I would have a higher win ratio if I had a tipper!"
Hm...or maybe not.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Well he treats Ganondorf better than Ridley, which is to say he didn't grab him by the throat, throw him to the floor and STOMP out every bit of actual character he had, leaving nothing a useless husk and a sham of what he once was... where was I going with this again...

D

Deleted member

Well he treats Ganondorf better than Ridley, which is to say he didn't grab him by the throat, throw him to the floor and STOMP out every bit of actual character he had, leaving nothing a useless husk and a sham of what he once was... where was I going with this again...
You were going off to find another club to beat that dead horse with.

Last edited by a moderator:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Wow, he did all that to Ridley? I guess must've missed it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You forgot a very important detail; Lucina wasn't initially planned as a clone. She was supposed to be a specialized costume for Marth.
She was made separate from Marth when Sakurai realized that the alternate characteristics that were applied to the Lucina costume could potentially affect match outcomes.
Yeah, that's another thing. Robin was going to be the sole FE newcomer until he made that decision. Personally, I would rather have Lucina and DP as alts but i'm fine with what happened.
So a smash patch just came out with no balance changes (replays work)

Place your bets on another roy/ryu leak :troll:
After the April leaks, I don't think there's going to be anymore of those files being leaked. I legitimately believe what happened in April was a slip up and it will never happen again.

But if there were ever another leak like that, I want it to be Snake.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Twilight Princess Link doesn't use Bombchus and Bomblings are only an optional item in TP while the Ball and Chain is required and is very useful in the game.
Also, a point in the Ball and Chain's favor is...it's ****ing cool.
coincidentally it's found in the ice dungeon

Actually, now that I think about it, Link exclusively using Twilight Princess items in his moveset would be cool.
Neutral B is Bomb Arrows, arrows that explode on contact, but explode on you if you hold them too long.
Side B is Gale Boomerang, the same.
Up B is Spinner, which has poor vertical distance but hits many times and goes far horizontally.
Down B is Ball and Chain. Hold the button to ready it then toss it for massive damage. Pressing the button again pulls it back to hit twice.

Again it fits Link's focus on power, but lacking recovery.

Also it'd be cool to see some of the hidden skills incorporated. Like the Helm Splitter, Mortal Draw, Finishing Blow, and Jump Strike.
I think that would change him too much. I would however, like Link to put his bomb on the arrow should he have one out. Like in ssf2. (Although that might be a nerf.)
After the April leaks, I don't think there's going to be anymore of those files being leaked. I legitimately believe what happened in April was a slip up and it will never happen again.

But if there were ever another leak like that, I want it to be Snake.
I think it will be Pichu...............Let me dream dangit!

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
I used to want another moveset for Toon Link but then I realized how much of a staple the bow, boomerang and bombs are to the series.

If anything I'd just add a couple differences between both Links like:
:4tlink: Up B: Hurricane Spin: An upgraded spin attack if you charge it fully but leaves you vulnerable for a while.
:4tlink: New Final Smash: Ballad of Gales
:4link: B: If holding a bomb, the arrow is upgraded to a bomb arrow.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I really want to hear why you don't expect high-demand characters with bigger credentials like...

isaac (golden sun)
Bandana Dee (Kirby)
RAYMAN
Inkling (Splatoon)
Since these are just examples, going to do a wuite direct statement: I feel the best candidates so far have similar factors going for them, thye jsut vary in level.

Like I would see isaac above these, but bandanne dee vs inkilings? It's really hard, they both have pros and cons......it's like it comes more to the feeling of how priorities would go.

not to mention that what is very different is slots are extremely limited now, I only expect 2-3. if one of these is left behind, it might just be priorities and not because the idea was worthless.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Masahiro Sakurai Said:
"What Not Chrom?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite Popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina and I will elaborate on my reasoning."
"I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means. At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another PLAIN-OLD-SWORD-WIELDER like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics."
"Plain old Sword wielder"? Sakurai-San really?
Can't really fault him for that; most people would agree that Chrom is really similar to those two.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:4tlink:-Up B for Toon Link pretty much screams Deku Leaf...Like others said works like Peach's Parasol, cept without doing damage, perhaps if someone's near they could either go into a tumbling animation due to the wind or bounce off of the leaf (without stunting TL's momentum)...on the ground would throw a blast of wind, perhaps will wear out after doing it too many times to avoid spamming when edge guarding...
-Final Smash-King of the Red Lions...A Final Smash styled after ZSS and Snake, where TL ends up riding the King of the Red Lions in the foreground while blasting bombs on the battlefield, can be controlled similarly to Wind Waker where you have to strategically angle the cannon as you fire...Final Smash ends when the boat reaches the other side of the screen or after too many shots are fired...

StormC

Smash Hero
I actually wonder if Ridley will indeed be added to 5mash but at that point everyone will be burnt out and not care anymore.

POKEGAMERZ

Smash Rookie
I have updated suggestions-
1 Crash (Crash Bandicoot).
2 Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day).
3 Spyro (Spyro the Dragon).
That's all I have for now once again. Also I notice that my thread based on this and my other DLC predictions has been deleted and my comments were placed here but still these predictions are more likely to happen than my other predictions.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I actually wonder if Ridley will indeed be added to 5mash but at that point everyone will be burnt out and not care anymore.
Well I think people only experience Smash character discussion burnout when they regularly talk about Smash on the Internet. Many people that compose a silent majority like / love Smash but not in the same way people around these parts do. Even if you haven't thought about Smash for years, a new installment turns people's heads anyway since the games are so damn good despite all the stuff we complain about here, and get great enjoyment out of new Smash games if only for a few weeks or months.

There's probably tons of Metroid fans out there that like Smash, that either happen to not let the weird treatment of Metroid in Smash faze them or gloss over it in favor of enjoying the other stuff. Since they don't nerd about it on the Internet and thus don't experience all the scary and mean arguments Smash has to offer (since when they don't play Smash they do other things), I think if (that's a very big if) Ridley finally happened, they'd be overjoyed since these people have no experience with Smash character argument burnout.

As for what these people are, I dub them "well-adjusted people." They are a separate species from us "nerds" that carry differences such as lack of fanaticism, social skills that come to them like it's second nature, and not constantly obsessing over female video game characters and hypothetical scenarios in which they'd be in a relationship with us. They might not even know what a "waifu" is.

Truly a frightening class of humans.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well I think people only experience Smash character discussion burnout when they regularly talk about Smash on the Internet. Many people that compose a silent majority like / love Smash but not in the same way people around these parts do. Even if you haven't thought about Smash for years, a new installment turns people's heads anyway since the games are so damn good despite all the stuff we complain about here, and get great enjoyment out of new Smash games if only for a few weeks or months.

There's probably tons of Metroid fans out there that like Smash, that either happen to not let the weird treatment of Metroid in Smash faze them or gloss over it in favor of enjoying the other stuff. Since they don't nerd about it on the Internet and thus don't experience all the scary and mean arguments Smash has to offer (since when they don't play Smash they do other things), I think if (that's a very big if) Ridley finally happened, they'd be overjoyed since these people have no experience with Smash character argument burnout.

As for what these people are, I dub them "well-adjusted people." They are a separate species from us "nerds" that carry differences such as lack of fanaticism, social skills that come to them like it's second nature, and not constantly obsessing over female video game characters and hypothetical scenarios in which they'd be in a relationship with us. They might not even know what a "waifu" is.

Truly a frightening class of humans.
In other words people who are boring as ****....

StormC

Smash Hero
That's all I have for now once again. Also I notice that my thread based on this and my other DLC predictions has been deleted and my comments were placed here but still these predictions are more likely to happen than my other predictions.
If these are the most likely characters you've picked, I'd hate to see your other predictions.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Crash and Spyro don't have much of a chance but better than the Mortal Kombat characters (I know those were just characters you wanted but you thought they were likely).
Conkey is in the same situation as the Killer Instinct characters.

Why are all your characters either Mario or third parties.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Say in Smash 5 when Inking will become available for sure, would it be wise to have both Inkling and Octoling on the roster? I can see how they could be different but any thoughts?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I personally don't really like it when a new series in Smash gets more than one character right off the bat (excluding Smash 64 obviously) but if Splatoon continues as a series and Octoling has something to offer the series then maybe? I don't really know much about them.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
To anyone who likes Donbe and Hikari, I'm struggling to make a moveset for them (Its quite hard when Shin Onigashima has never been translated to English and all I really know is that Donbe is strong and that Hikari is smart). So can anyone help.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Say in Smash 5 when Inking will become available for sure, would it be wise to have both Inkling and Octoling on the roster? I can see how they could be different but any thoughts?
I haven't quite completed single player in Splatoon yet, but so far the Octolings are just reskinned Inklings. Personally I'd prefer them as alts since that's essentially all they appear to be thus far.

That said, there's a vast array of weaponry available in Splatoon and with so many different types of weaponry maybe you could justify two Splatoon characters straight off the bat.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
If the Inklings were in Smash, then Judd could show up in at least one of their victory animations, doing that little dance and then showing the winning flag like in the end of Splatoon matches.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nintendo should also buy Mega Man and a couple other Capcom franchises.
I can think of a few Capcom franchises that would be good for Nintendo.

Ace Attorney
Breath of Fire
Darkstalkers
Final Fight
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Marvel vs. Capcom (well, Nintendo could work with Marvel/Disney with the amiibos)
Mega Man
Monster Hunter
Okami
Resident Evil
Street Fighter
Viewtiful Joe

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

Ace Attorney
Breath of Fire
Darkstalkers
Final Fight
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Marvel vs. Capcom (well, Nintendo could work with Marvel/Disney with the amiibos)
Mega Man
Monster Hunter
Okami
Resident Evil
Street Fighter
Viewtiful Joe
Here's a few Sega franchises that would be good for Nintendo.

All of Sega.

Here's a few Sega franchises that would be good for Nintendo.

All of Sega.
Except that one game. . .i think its called bayonet :troll:

Ace Attorney
Breath of Fire
Darkstalkers
Final Fight
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Mega Man
Monster Hunter
Okami
Resident Evil
Street Fighter
Viewtiful Joe
TLDR nintendo should buy capcom.

Im not exactly comfortable with resident evil or those fighting games being nintendo exclusive.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
My main concern with Nintendo buying the franchises of another company is that they have enough trouble making games for some of their own franchises (Advance Wars, F-Zero, Metroid, etc.) - how would they be able to make games for so many others?

StormC

Smash Hero
Nintendo buying Mega Man or whatever just sounds like fans on the internet dreaming big without considering reality.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Can't really fault him for that; most people would agree that Chrom is really similar to those two.
I don't like his philosophy that characters fundamentally "are" his vision of them, rather than what is made of them (see: Wario, Ganondorf, Ridley, Toad), but I'm not sad Chrom got skipped over because of it. As a general rule, if your biggest selling point for a character is that they're not too similar to another character, that's not going to excite too many people.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Nintendo buying Mega Man or whatever just sounds like fans on the internet dreaming big without considering reality.
Well judging from how Nintendo treats Megaman and looking at how Capcom has been treating Mega Man the reality of the situation is pretty clear. Nintendo does a better job, looks at Street Fighter X Tekken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom