• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Hey @ God Robert's Cousin God Robert's Cousin

Could you find any other articles about the Japanese reactions to Villager, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina & Luma?
I could try, but no promises there. Little Mac, a western icon, being viewed by the Japanese is a subject on its own worth writing about. I doubt anyone went out of there way to show all the individual responses for the others considering they're not exactly demographic to one part of the world.

I'm sure they see the first four newcomers the same as we do. I'll look anyway.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You got to keep in mind that a game like Super Smash Bros. is getting a global release, and as such should cater to a wide audience. So of course there isn't going to be any catering to only one audience, instead the producers want stuff that can appeal to everyone. Hence why one of the criteria is "makes you want to play as them", and Sakurai outright stating that he's taking requests from around the world.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As an Advance Wars fan, can't say that I'm upset at the idea that Sakurai's picking some characters more popular with the Western audience. About time, too; we've gotten 3 Japan-only characters to date.

Interesting that he's considered a retro character even with Punch Out Wii's existence. Nobody discussing Smash on Western sites seems to consider him a retro rep.

That article also highlights an important point, which is that Japan's character tastes are highly influential on Smash and often very different from ours. Many people on Smashboards considered Mac a sure lock for SSB4, while seemingly most Japanese fans didn't think he had much of a chance.
Considering that one guy thought all the characters were "crap"

One even asked for "that guy from Kung Fu"

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
You got to keep in mind that a game like Super Smash Bros. is getting a global release, and as such should cater to a wide audience. So of course there isn't going to be any catering to only one audience, instead the producers want stuff that can appeal to everyone. Hence why one of the criteria is "makes you want to play as them", and Sakurai outright stating that he's taking requests from around the world.
Is he still looking at request, or has he already made up his mind on what characters he wants in the game? And if so, why are so much people asking Sakurai to put certain characters in?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Is he still looking at request, or has he already made up his mind on what characters he wants in the game? And if so, why are so much people asking Sakurai to put certain characters in?
Because people are stupid.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The roster has been determined a long time ago.

The roster being compiled is normally one of the first designs finished first.

Requests said now won't effect anything.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The roster had to have been decided ages ago, much like Brawl. However, Sonic was a very "last-minute" addition due to how popular and requested he was. I don't really think anyone is on his level pre-Brawl though, so Sakurai probably already has the roster understood and planned.

As to why people are still requesting, it's people. People are stupid.

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
Huh, I didn't know. I would think that the roster would be finished somewhere early mid-development of the game, so they could take a lot of time to discuss and see what people want.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Dropping this here because I never seen it myself, forgive me if it's widely known, as it's really old news at this point. However, Mewtwo supporters may have something to make them smile:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34700/sakurai-considering-mewtwo-for-next-smash-bros-games
VERY old, but still great nonetheless. Sakurai would have to be an idiot not to have Mewtwo back in the game. I mean he is overall THE most wanted character worldwide.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Dropping this here because I never seen it myself, forgive me if it's widely known, as it's really old news at this point. However, Mewtwo supporters may have something to make them smile:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34700/sakurai-considering-mewtwo-for-next-smash-bros-games
I remember that.

'Thinking about it" doesn't exactly translate to "We're likely to put Mewtwo back in Smash", but I'd say he has a very high chance, considering he was planned to be put in Brawl alongside Lucario. He was presumably cut because the team spent the development time on Sonic.

-----

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I remember that.

'Thinking about it" doesn't exactly translate to "We're likely to put Mewtwo back in Smash", but I'd say he has a very high chance, considering he was planned to be put in Brawl alongside Lucario. He was presumably cut because the team spent the development time on Sonic.

-----
Well,it still says consider,and by that,it's not very likely or unlikely.

In my terms,It's as likely as unlikely for to Mewtwo be reconfirmed or not.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not saying he's definitely in the game, but to hear Sakurai even say "we're thinking about it" in regards to ANY character is a bit of a breakthrough. Normally, he doesn't really tease characters like that. I think what this confirms is that Mewtwo, or at least Mewthree, reached conceptual stages for Smash 4.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So, here's something to think about. I believe both Wario and Yoshi have very good chances of getting revealed this month. Yoshi of course for NA's Yoshi's New Island. Wario, however, is in Mario Party Island Tour, releasing in Japan on the 20th. One of the two could be revealed this month, and the other one could be revealed for Mario Kart 8, perhaps?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, here's something to think about. I believe both Wario and Yoshi have very good chances of getting revealed this month. Yoshi of course for NA's Yoshi's New Island. Wario, however, is in Mario Party Island Tour, releasing in Japan on the 20th. One of the two could be revealed this month, and the other one could be revealed for Mario Kart 8, perhaps?
North America got Island Tour first?

That's interesting.

Also,someone actually did theorize a connection of why Little Mac was released on the Japanese date of Tropical Freeze : DK was in Punch Out Wii.
Some things to think....

Parmite

Smash Apprentice
I know that this if off-topic, but...

We need this guy in the game in anyway, shape, or form. Assist Trophy, Sticker, I'd even accept him as a part of the background.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I don't think we'll get anything for Island Tour. Yoshi would obviously be better to reveal for his own game (either the NA/EU release or the Japanese one) and Wario would be better for Mario Kart 8.

Then again, we might not get Wario for either game, since he's not representing the Mario series in Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I haven't been on the thread for a while, so I don't know if this was shown yet. I just want to make sure it is.

Japan's reactions to Little Mac.

It's really interesting how someone who's considered an absolute legacy in the West is obscure in Japan. While Little Mac was obviously revived with Punch Out Wii, Japan sees him as a completely retro addition for the most part.
Their most wanted is Waluigi yet he was deconfirmed last week. Oh the irony! :troll:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Warning Received
Their most wanted is Waluigi yet he was deconfirmed last week. Oh the irony! :troll:

That moment when you forget that a Waluigi fan is still in the boards.
Get the **** out of my house.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Part of me wants to laugh at the majority of those Japanese users for seemingly not even thinking for a moment that anything outside of their little bubble would get into the game when they're a far smaller market than the West, and when we obsess over their preferences regularly.

However, putting this into perspective, this may just be the equivalent of someone from Japan yanking comments from, say, a GamesRadar Dudebro video, then forming impressions based on that.

"Birdo and Kirby Newcomer are highly requested in the West, and they all think Marth is going to get cut! Bwa ha ha! Point and laugh, boys!"

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
That moment when you forget that a Waluigi fan is still in the boards.
Get the **** out of my house.
"Don't be a jerk" - Swampasaur, 2014.

Also, what do the Japanese think about Takamaru? I don't pay attention to these kind of things.

And I want Mike Jones in Smash so there can be a Western-exclusive (NES) character fighting a Japan-exclusive character.

----

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In terms of a March newcomer, if we have a Nintendo Direct in March, I can see that being a great opportunity to announce Professor Layton. Azran Legacy just got released in the US, and at the end of March, Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright is coming out in Europe. We're likely going to see a new trailer for the latter in the next Nintendo Direct, so following up with a Smash reveal would be a perfect way to round-up the Layton news.

Other than him, I don't know what newcomer makes sense in March.

And regarding Little Mac, his reveal was sort of at a relevant time, as Punch-Out!! is featured in NES Remix 2, which was announced in the same Direct. There is also the DK connection, and the fact that it was Punch-Out's 30th anniversary last month.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"Don't be a jerk" - Swampasaur, 2014.
"My consequences are based on my actions for a matter of my opinion and staments for which I wish upon my doings. Just a way to say I don't really care as much." - Arigarmy 2014

And I want Mike Jones in Smash so there can be a Western-exclusive character fighting a Japan-exclusive character.
Sakurai planned him for Brawl,but cut him out because he was only in Western releases.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I wonder how Japan would react if Daisy (one of their most wanted) was deconfirmed on her anniversary (Super Mario Land). I can tell the results would be so delicious. :troll:

Sakurai planned him for Brawl,but cut him out because he was only in Western releases.
Source?

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, a Nintendo Direct in March revealing a newcomer.

Give me a call when Peppy correctly identifies a Barrel Roll while you're at it too.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
In terms of a March newcomer, if we have a Nintendo Direct in March, I can see that being a great opportunity to announce Professor Layton. Azran Legacy just got released in the US, and at the end of March, Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright is coming out in Europe. We're likely going to see a new trailer for the latter in the next Nintendo Direct, so following up with a Smash reveal would be a perfect way to round-up the Layton news.

Other than him, I don't know what newcomer makes sense in March.

And regarding Little Mac, his reveal was sort of at a relevant time, as Punch-Out!! is featured in NES Remix 2, which was announced in the same Direct. There is also the DK connection, and the fact that it was Punch-Out's 30th anniversary last month.
Well,it could be anybody. It doesn't have to be Anniversary-related.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Also, what do the Japanese think about Takamaru? I don't pay attention to these kind of things.
Aren't the Japanese the whole reason we're expecting him? I've seen some people call him Japan's Little Mac.

Uhm, no.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In terms of a March newcomer, if we have a Nintendo Direct in March, I can see that being a great opportunity to announce Professor Layton. Azran Legacy just got released in the US, and at the end of March, Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright is coming out in Europe. We're likely going to see a new trailer for the latter in the next Nintendo Direct, so following up with a Smash reveal would be a perfect way to round-up the Layton news..
Yeah about that, we usually get a worldwide direct once every two months. So April it would be, not March....

We do get smaller regional directs at any month though but I'm not sure if we would be seeing any newcomers there, or if we will even get a regional Direct in March.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Takamaru is the most popular retro in Japan but his overall popularity there is kind of mediocre, which for a retro is still pretty good, as Japan rarely cares about any retro.

Monkeymaner

Smash Cadet
middle of the dessert , on a horse with no name
NNID
Monkeymaner
Takamaru is the most popular retro in Japan but his overall popularity there is kind of mediocre, which for a retro is still pretty good, as Japan rarely cares about any retro.
Now what about any retros that are popular in Europe because if we got japan and western fan service then could we expect a retro rep popular in the European regions?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm betting you guys 20 bucks that there will be an explosion of Takamaru Himura jokes when he's confirmed. After all, his quotes in SW3 give off such vibes along with his bishounen, yet badass appearance.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Now what about any retros that are popular in Europe because if we got japan and western fan service then could we expect a retro rep popular in the European regions?
Things are usually just divided up into "Japan" and "not Japan". Europe and NA tend to have fairly similar popularity trends.

But Sakurai has a hard enough time including characters based solely off foreign demand, if there were any characters with high European popularity but neither Japanese nor American popularity... chances are that character wouldn't have very good odds. Considering we really only get one normal retro a game, that doesn't seem like something Sakurai would leave up to the region which tends to get third priority.

The whole thing is relatively moot though considering Takamaru is the most popular retro everywhere.

Monkeymaner

Smash Cadet
middle of the dessert , on a horse with no name
NNID
Monkeymaner
Things are usually just divided up into "Japan" and "not Japan". Europe and NA tend to have fairly similar popularity trends.

But Sakurai has a hard enough time including characters based solely off foreign demand, if there were any characters with high European popularity but neither Japanese nor American popularity... chances are that character wouldn't have very good odds. Considering we really only get one normal retro a game, that doesn't seem like something Sakurai would leave up to solely one region's requests.

The whole thing is relatively moot though considering Takamaru is the most popular retro everywhere.
Well that's understandable. Thank you!

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Well, after Mac, more people are starting to pay more attention to Takamaru.

andimidna

Smash Master
Aren't the Japanese the whole reason we're expecting him? I've seen some people call him Japan's Little Mac.

Uhm, no.
I heard he was on the "drawing board" whatever that means. They probably consider almost everybody viable, so it's no surprise. But I say an updated design for him once that was supposedly going to be his design in Brawl... who knows. They should at least make him an assist, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom