• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Obviously, but we were talking about the NES game. Mike Tyson wasn't on the arcade version.

Anyway, I never intended to start an argument about Little Mac, there's not really any reason to continue this. So just wait for (or start) the next topic or something.
It's too late for a new topic. It's 3am where I am.

It's not arguing. I don't care about Punch-Out. I cared a lot less before coming here. But it bothers me greatly when you mistaken the popularity of a game with your own indifference to it. Especially when you praise all of the other obscures character before it.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
But it bothers me greatly when you mistaken the popularity of a game with your own indifference to it. Especially when you praise all of the other obscures character before it.
Ok, I did not say the game was not popular, I have no idea where that even came from. Did you read any of the things people in Japan said? It's not popular there, most of them don't even know about the game and a few of them even insulted it. My indifference has nothing to do with this, it's about Japan, not me.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366

That's sort of Zelda's thing now.
I hope it's her new final smash, personally.
And it would function similar to Diddy's and Yoshi's, who I both also want to get new Final Smashes.
Ganondorf doing it while controlling Zelda, does not make it Zelda's thing.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ok, I did not say the game was not popular, I have no idea where that even came from. Did you read any of the things people in Japan said? It's not popular there, most of them don't even know about the game and a few of them even insulted it. My indifference has nothing to do with this, it's about Japan, not me.
It seems you don't know what I mean at all, forget I said anything.

B-b-bu...but, y u no sage sword?

I'd prefer him to use the sword the incarnation being represented uses.
Besides, the sage sword could easily be a heavy sword.

andimidna

Smash Master
Ganondorf doing it while controlling Zelda, does not make it Zelda's thing.
That doesn't stop people from making Palutena movesets based off her boss fight from Uprising.

Since Palutena and Zelda don't do much fighting, it makes sense to pull moves from their fights that they physically use, even if they're not doing it with their own consent... doesn't mean they can't use them whenever they please.

All of Zelda's specials are taken from moves Link uses in Ocarina of Time. So you can't be too picky that Ganondorf was technically controlling her when she used those moves in Twilight Princess.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I haven't been on the thread for a while, so I don't know if this was shown yet. I just want to make sure it is.

Japan's reactions to Little Mac.

It's really interesting how someone who's considered an absolute legacy in the West is obscure in Japan. While Little Mac was obviously revived with Punch Out Wii, Japan sees him as a completely retro addition for the most part.
I think it's kinda funny to see they are as bad as some of the dark sections of the western fanbase. Your the smallest market for this game Japan, smash doesn't have to cater to only your needs lol.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I love their reactions, and how they talk about "overseas" like us.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
That doesn't stop people from making Palutena movesets based off her boss fight from Uprising.

Since Palutena and Zelda don't do much fighting, it makes sense to pull moves from their fights that they physically use, even if they're not doing it with their own consent... doesn't mean they can't use them whenever they please.

All of Zelda's specials are taken from moves Link uses in Ocarina of Time. So you can't be too picky that Ganondorf was technically controlling her when she used those moves in Twilight Princess.
The big difference is that the attack is pretty much Ganon(dorf)'s Signature attack. He've used it before that battle and after it.
The other attacks zelda uses in that battle i'm not gonna argue against, but the tennis ball is Ganon(dorf)'s thing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"Punch-Out is all about the unique opponents; why would you include the bland main character?"

Lol.

D

Deleted member

B-b-bu...but, y u no sage sword?

I'd prefer him to use the sword the incarnation being represented uses.
If he's being inspired by Nightmare like what Kenith is saying, then only the Melee sword will do.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If he's being inspired by Nightmare like what Kenith is saying, then only the Melee sword will do.
This reminds of old custom characters in Soulcalibur 4 people used to make, ha ha.

"Punch-Out is all about the unique opponents; why would you include the bland main character?"

Lol.
Wait, who said that?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The whole thing makes me wonder how they'd react to Ridley...

He's not requested over there, but he's much more well known than Little Mac. His strong association to Samus cements that.

Still, Mac is playable. The idea still makes me ecstatic! I wanted Megaman, but not as much as Mac. He's the first new character that I REALLY wanted to be in that made it.

Only other characters that could top Mac are Isaac, Mewtwo and Ridley.

Wait, who said that?
Some Japanese guy.

Hey @God Robert's Cousin

Could you find any other articles about the Japanese reactions to Villager, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina & Luma?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well you got one of two of those characters. M2King pretty much confirmed Mewtwo
M2King is also wrong most of the time when it comes to stuff like this. I wouldn't believe what he says without a large amount of proof.

Also Shortie confirmed for not being able to count to three! :troll:

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
LATE RESPONSE BUT
But, it doesn't get anywhere and it requires specific characters as well as the patience and cooperation of another opponent to achieve nothing.
Anyone can reflect a projectile.
They just need to shield at the exact moment of it hitting them and they send it back.

Besides, you say "Nobody can send a projectile by punching it" but would stop the development team from ALLOWING that to happen for that specific projectile hmm???

Of course that isn't necessary either, but it would certainly make the projectile differentiate from it's potential "clones" Din's Fire, Shadow Ball, and Aura Sphere.

Either way the only changes Ganondorf absolutely needs is a new Neutral Special (Dead Man's Volley would be fantastic) and a new Down Special (Wizard's Foot is just so horrible and has nothing to do with Ganondorf).
I would like Akumadorf though, only problem would be that there isn't at least 2 other versions of him in the roster. But I think it would be fine nonetheless.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Just look at the Japanese Miiverse, Little Mac's reveal has like 1200 likes and Dedede's reveal has like 1700, same with Lucario XD
This is interesting.

Do you also have the number of likes for Rosalina's reveal ?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
This is interesting.

Do you also have the number of likes for Rosalina's reveal ?
Well, Little Mac's reveal trailer has 1559 "Yeahs!".
Rosalina's Trailer has 2336 currently, so she has the most.
Wii Fit Trainer comes in 2nd with 2158 "Yeahs!", Villager in 3rd with 2072, and Mega Man in 4th with 1848.

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Well, Little Mac's reveal trailer has 1559 "Yeahs!".
Rosalina's Trailer has 2336 currently, so she has the most.
Wii Fit Trainer comes in 2nd with 2158 "Yeahs!", Villager in 3rd with 2072, and Mega Man in 4th with 1848.
Wow, this is strange. I don't know if these "Yeahs!' are representative of a the interest of a character for japanese peoples, but still weird that Mega Man is only the 4th.
Does american/european miiverse also have "Yeahs!' for characters ?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I haven't been on the thread for a while, so I don't know if this was shown yet. I just want to make sure it is.

It's really interesting how someone who's considered an absolute legacy in the West is obscure in Japan. While Little Mac was obviously revived with Punch Out Wii, Japan sees him as a completely retro addition for the most part.
"All these characters are crap"
Dunno why, but I had a good laugh out of this.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Wow, this is strange. I don't know if these "Yeahs!' are representative of a the interest of a character for japanese peoples, but still weird that Mega Man is only the 4th.
Does american/european miiverse also have "Yeahs!' for characters ?
Yes, they do. Here's the European numbers:

Rosalina 18940
Mac 14221
Mega Man 11834
Villager 10957
WFT 9384

Though you should keep in mind that a lot of things affect these. Like the amount of Miiverse users increasing over time, Villager's trailer also being the Official Trailer for the whole game etc.

Groose

Smash Champion

You have to take a compilation article like this with a grain of salt and a glass of piping hot perspective. Only then can you perceive the truth and make a comparison.

You can see that maybe one-fifth of the reactions do mention his "overseas popularity" and a handful more actually remember playing the game. In all, I'd say maybe a quarter of the people there had considered Little Mac getting in in the past. This actually backs up my [admittedly limited] observations of the Japanese fanbase. For that one quarter represents the hyper-speculative community who have debated roster predictions and act like we here on Smashboards or the lads over on GAF or FAQs. Most of this hyper-speculative community had drawn the conclusion that there were two really likely Retro choices--Takamaru, who is extremely popular there, and Little Mac, who had massive "overseas popularity."

Now, what of the other three-quarters of people who are shocked and even dismayed by this character choice? They're the people who aren't really engaging in speculation, just coming in to talk every once and awhile when a character or stage is confirmed. They're more comparable to those who just comment on video game newssites. The reason they're so surprised is that they never speculated enough to know that Mac was popular overseas, and most of them don't really recognize him at all.

Now it is time to draw an analogy for our Western fanbase. How would we react if Takamaru were revealed? Well, I would expect that our hyper-speculative community would react with a fair bit of joy and some, "oh, it's Takamaru, he was popular in the East." Yet our voices would be mostly drowned out by the majority of gamers in our region who don't really pay much attention to speculation and have never even heard of Takamaru. I feel like it would be a similar situation.

This has indeed impacted my thoughts on the game, however. I feel more strongly now that Sakurai will try to placate the Eastern fanbase. Characters like Shulk and Takamaru just made a strong case for joining my prediction roster.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace

Well, uhh... Is he that obscure in Japan to not even know there was a Wii game? Wow
On another note, have you got the other newcomers' reactions? If so could you give me a link, please.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The thing is the Japanese fanbase is just like any other group of people. We as people tend to live in bubbles when it comes to things like this, there are people who will look at characters appeal on a larger scale like any do here and are willing to look outside of their bubble, some people will complain about anything that doesn't exist within their bubble.

There is probably a lot of confusion of what Punch-Out! as it wasn't very popular there for whatever reason as it's more a puzzle game and most of the gameplay revolving around timing and patterns then the boxing itself. I think it's why it holds a place for me where other sport games just generally do nothing for me. When you get down to Little Mac's character, there isn't much there for a personality other then his apparent determination and hard work ethic to train to the point where he's able to fight and defeat opponents much larger and stronger then himself. It was definitely enough to keep him endearing I think, but it was definitely one of those games that retained popularity through it's memorable gameplay

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
We Americans had to deal with Earthbound and Fire Emblem, so Japanese fans can now deal with Little Mac and Ridley.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Lol.
I look at this quote on two different levels.

One, is that I didn't really think there was another character who would be completely different from Little Mac. Besides maybe Great Tiger. Otherwise they're basically the same type of character, just the different sizes as far as Smash is concerned.

Two, is that quite frankly, I think recognition/significance of a character will always outrank uniqueness. If Sakurai were going simply for uniqueness, he could have chosen a different Punch-Out!! challenger to apply their techniques. But we got Little Mac. This is why I still think Chrom will get in before the Avatar as far as Fire Emblem goes.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
People are always going to be confused by characters or concepts they themselves don't understand, there have been a lot of wth situations with characters in smash in the past as there is now. Once they're gameplay is revealed most people are not bothered by the strange inclusions in the long term, other then a vocal minority.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The thing to remember about Little Mac, and Punch-Out!! in general, is that the sport boxing is an incredibly niche sport in Japan. Sure every blue moon you may have something referencing the sport of boxing with games, manga, and anime, but it's no where near popular like it is in the USA. Hence why a character like Little Mac and the series Punch-Out!! is a lot more popular in western territories like the USA, while in Japan something like that only creates shrugs at best.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Samurai boxing would take off like wildfire in Japan.

At least there is a decent amount of probability that the Pacific island will get Takamaru.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
After a nice vacation in Ireland,let's see what our topic is...

Samurai Boxing?

The ****?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

As an Advance Wars fan, can't say that I'm upset at the idea that Sakurai's picking some characters more popular with the Western audience. About time, too; we've gotten 3 Japan-only characters to date.

Interesting that he's considered a retro character even with Punch Out Wii's existence. Nobody discussing Smash on Western sites seems to consider him a retro rep.

That article also highlights an important point, which is that Japan's character tastes are highly influential on Smash and often very different from ours. Many people on Smashboards considered Mac a sure lock for SSB4, while seemingly most Japanese fans didn't think he had much of a chance.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Okay, how about this for Ganondorf's ball of light? He makes it in front of him and can hit it with any move. Its physics and other attributes are modified by the momentum imparted by the attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom