• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm starting to think uniqueness doesn't matter much. Otherwise people would still care about :squirtle:and:ivysaur:.
well, for a character value on its own, it matters a lot.

When it matters less is priority. Say, if I take 9-volt for example, he feels very unique to me, but when it comes to priority, I would pick other characters before him for reasons like importance nintendo shows and also popularity, I would put relevance in there, but I take relevance cautiously.

However, this means that if a character sounds good for a high priority choices, this is when uniqueness helps a lot. This is kinda the feel I have for Paper Mario now, for me, his series feels important to nintendo and they are even ready to show the particularity of the series, he's "decently" (not the best, but recognisable enough) popular and I think I don;t really have to prove his series and character are quite relevant.

Now, sure, he's not the one that has the best chances around, but this is in these cases that I feel uniqueness helps. If his subset worth looking into to have him as rep, him offering unique stuff in the roster is when it really matters for the best.

TL;DR: generally, it's one of the last thing I look into when trying to define chances, but it can help in the end.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Probably to start the hype for character DLC strong so people can start getting excited for the concept of DLC, but he can still throw a curveball anytime he wishes, still a bad idea to assume what's been revealed so far.
But why not keep the DLC going strong? Why not keep people continuously excited for DLC with each release? What's the benefit to throwing a curveball?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
He can make a curveball look exciting to play as when he pulls out the right moves. He's done it with several of his newcomers before, especially with Wii Fit Trainer whom had bare requests on. There are other factors within a character that give the character appeal other than being highly requested.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
He can make a curveball look exciting to play as when he pulls out the right moves. He's done it with several of his newcomers before, especially with Wii Fit Trainer whom had bare requests on.
✧*:・゚Savvy Stylist *:・゚✧

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

(Roy for one, pre reveal, he practically got the same treatment as everyone is giving to Young Link as well as the whole Roy Koopa jokes and whatnot, and now everyone is acting like he always made sense as a DLC inclusion.....)
He still doesn't IMO.
But he's leagues above Young Link.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm a fan of Sakurai throwing a curveball every so often. My mains for Brawl and 4 were Ice Climbers and ROB respectively.

However, I also know that I'd never buy these characters as DLC unless e.g. I'd played them before. Including a couple of curveball newcomers in a package deal of 10 or so that has still always included the biggest requests at the time is much different to throwing them out as DLC on their own. ROB didn't need to be popular when he was bundled with Sonic The Hedgehog. DLC doesn't offer you this sort of thing, and is why I personally expect that when viability is said and done, popularity will absolutely be the biggest factor to consider. 3 of the current DLC characters are veterans who will sell as they've been in the game before; the other is a massive 3rd party character.

This said, I hope that isn't the only Rool Sakurai has for DLC.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The obscure retro characters like Harry didn't obviously make it but I was pretty confident on which characters were probably not happening, I did predict the Ninka_kiwi's newcomers were going to be in the game despite the little evidence it had in its favor at the time before the ESRB leak came.
I got 4/6 the first set of Gematsu newcomers right (Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Mega-Man), Shulk, Palutena, Dark Pit and the entire set of Ninka_Kiwi newcomers right.
That's about out 9 of 14, only missing out on Robin, Rosalina, Lucina, Greninja, and Wii Fit Trainer. Not too bad really.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He can make a curveball look exciting to play as when he pulls out the right moves. He's done it with several of his newcomers before, especially with Wii Fit Trainer whom had bare requests on. There are other factors within a character that give the character appeal other than being highly requested.
But what's the benefit to doing that when he can just pick an already popular character and make that one even more popular?

People got hyped for WFT, but they got a lot more hyped for Mega Man.

That's your perspective and I have mine, but if there's an unpopular curveball revealed for DLC, I'm not trusting you guys with my predictions ever again.
:seuss:
Why trust us now, you've gotten overwhelmingly negative responses every time you share them yet haven't changed them much if at all based on the feedback you've received...

D

Deleted member

Using someone else's leak as a prediction doesn't count.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The obscure retro characters like Harry didn't obviously make it but I was pretty confident on which characters were probably not happening, I did predict the Ninka_kiwi's newcomers were going to be in the game despite the little evidence it had in its favor at the time.
I got 4/6 the first set of Gematsu newcomers right (Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Mega-Man), Shulk, Palutena, Dark Pit and the entire set of Ninka_Kiwi newcomers right.
That's about out 9 of 14, only missing out on Robin, Rosalina, Lucina, Greninja, and Wii Fit Trainer. Not too bad really.
Does predicting characters after they were leaked count? Sure, you may have been right about the leak being legitimate, but saying you predicted the characters on it is kind of cheating. :ohwell:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's an example of a valid prediction:

I predicted that if the Pokémon Trainer gimmick had to be removed for any reason that Charizard would be the only one of his Pokémon that would go solo. This ended up being true.

I also predicted that Sheik and Zero Suit Samus would be axed if they couldn't stay as part of Zelda and Samus. This ended up being false.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The obscure retro characters like Harry didn't obviously make it but I was pretty confident on which characters were probably not happening, I did predict the Ninka_kiwi's newcomers were going to be in the game despite the little evidence it had in its favor at the time before the ESRB leak came.
So... one unconventional pick that you added after the Palutena trailer.

So............Aloamamola for smash! :awesome:..........................................(Okay I'll stop.)
I had to look this up. I dont even understand these pokemon names anymore. Am I officially old or is that after I call a playstation a Nintendo?

Popularity clearly matters. If it didnt there wouldnt be a ballot in the first place. . .

So I wonder how all this weird stuff going on in Fates is going to affect Fire Emblem character popularity

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Using someone else's leak as a prediction doesn't count.
Well let me see Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Mega-Man, Shulk, Palutena, and Dark Pit, still not that bad when counting out leaks, that's still half the newcomers.

Here's an example of a valid prediction:

I predicted that if the Pokémon Trainer gimmick had to be removed for any reason that Charizard would be the only one of his Pokémon that would go solo. This ended up being true.

I also predicted that Sheik and Zero Suit Samus would be axed if they couldn't stay as part of Zelda and Samus. This ended up being false.
If you want me to go more specific sure. But I'll probably do that later.

So... one unconventional pick that you added after the Palutena trailer.
Granted, I was skeptical in clones in general before Dark Pit was teased as a playable character. So eh.. if you see it that way at least he wasn't leaked before he was teased, but I was one of the very few who predicted Dark Pit in the game despite the loud hate base he had.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I had to look this up. I dont even understand these pokemon names anymore. Am I officially old or is that after I call a playstation a Nintendo?

Popularity clearly matters. If it didnt there wouldnt be a ballot in the first place. . .

So I wonder how all this weird stuff going on in Fates is going to affect Fire Emblem character popularity
Nah. Most people don't like the Unova region, so it's kinda understandable that you wouldn't know it off the top of your head. If anything I'm just a nerd with unpopular opinions. :3 (Like how the Unova region is my favorite.)
I don't think Fire Emblem: Fates will affect anything just yet. However, if what's-his-face becomes playable, I wonder which path they will draw his moveset from... Probably a little of both.

D

Deleted member

Well let me see Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Mega-Man, Shulk, Palutena, and Dark Pit, still not that bad when counting out leaks, that's still half the newcomers.
How many of those have you actually predicted prior to leaks?

Because I call shenanigans.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Predictions in general are more respectable if they aren't simply latching onto what common logic (if you can call "new game = shoo-in" logic...) deems probable. There's a reason gamblers don't earn much when betting on the fastest race horses.

@ N3ON N3ON had the best Isaac analysis IMO. As much as I'd like to think he's runner-up for Nintendo ballot newcomers at the moment, his second party nature may prove troublesome, and could deter the team from picking him if Japan puts a different first party character at roughly his level (a Bandana Dee or Impa type character).

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Check out the new Iwata Asks interview:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/fire-emblem-fates/0/3
Something to note that can potentiallyy regard to Andy's chances:
Yamagami
We asked, "Huh? I thought this was supposed to be the last one?" And he said, "Of course. That's how Sales works. If something sells, we start asking for the next installment." So we talked to everyone at Intelligent Systems and said, "So, now we have to hurry up and make the next one."
Days of Ruin already took a different approach with the franchise like with Fire Emblem Awakening, only it wasn't successful at all. I think it's safe to assume that a new AW is not going to happen at all unless there is loud demand for a new game, I think he has less of a shot to get in the game than ever before.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Days of Ruin already took a different approach with the franchise like with Fire Emblem Awakening, only it wasn't successful at all. I think it's safe to assume that a new AW is not going to happen at all unless there is loud demand for a new game, I think he has less of a shot to get in the game than ever before.
so, what this means is Paper Mario is still likely on WiiU?

good, or no, sorry, i meant

Because SS sold....a lot (DT deserved more sales tbh).

Is no one going to comment on goku on that prediction roster?

No? Anyone?
i assume blue was joking back then. . . But it is still there and it is just so silly looking

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Considering the number of lonely nerds and thirsty otaku out there, they'll attract a lot of new fans because of this overblown fanservice. Not only there are no limitations of who you romance (incest is fine), but you can actually undress and feel any part of that character. So expect a lot of those unfamiliar with Fire Emblem or into that "waifu cult" to buy the games. :p

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
Is no one going to comment on goku on that prediction roster?

No? Anyone?
i assume blue was joking back then. . . But it is still there and it is just so silly looking
It's a roster made by Blue.
C'mon guys that aint cool to be putting that guy down like that we are all entitled to predict and speculate equally nobody is better than nobody on this thread it's just not right to be treating someone like that.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Nah. Most people don't like the Unova region, so it's kinda understandable that you wouldn't know it off the top of your head. If anything I'm just a nerd with unpopular opinions. :3 (Like how the Unova region is my favorite.)
I don't think Fire Emblem: Fates will affect anything just yet. However, if what's-his-face becomes playable, I wonder which path they will draw his moveset from... Probably a little of both.
I don't know about most, it does get hate, but it's doesn't seem to be that much more hated then any post-Johto region. It does get a lot of respect for some of the deviations it tried even with the flaws it had.

As for Fates, the only character I could see be popular past it would be Kamui/Corrin, and they're dependent on the next game along with other smaller factors.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Most likely from the 3rd Choice, where you choose neither side.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

The reason Days of Ruin didn't do so well is because it dropped all the characters that we fell in love with for 3 games. There's demand for an Advance Wars game with the classic Wars World cast.

Ivander

Smash Legend
That's a thing?
Yep.
*SPOILERS FOR FATES*
Basically, you choose neither side and as a result, you get hunted down by both sides.
Your job is to basically convince both kingdoms and all 8 siblings to fight together to go after the true enemy. Despite the implications of having a happy ending with all the characters, some characters you get in the other Paths do die and you can't support with them, once again giving some exclusivity to the other Paths that you can't get in the 3rd Path.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
D

Deleted member

I'm waiting for :4zss: being lesbian and :4pit: being gay now.

:happysheep:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is true, and it's been said by Sakurai, but being a protagonist is not much of a special factor that raises their chances.

This is true for Isaac too, but like the first factor, that isn't much of a factor at all. Mallo is a recurring character in his respective series, but does that mean it gives him the edge in chances, not really.

The GBA is not special that's worth representing. The GBA was like every other Nintendo system only with less popularity than the NES, DS and the Wii, which were innovators at the time.

These factors don't equate to other factors like being advertised pushed by Nintendo, or being from a critically acclaimed game, or being leaked, or other kinds of factors.

What do you mean by qualities exactly?
Name me them.
Being a MAIN protagonist however, means you get to go first if your franchise gets represented with characters

Judging by the morons that kept going 'Nintendo has no new IPs' before Splatoon, Pushmo seems to be obscure, I only knew it existed because of BiTF (RIP BiTF)

The Wii U isn't worth representing, it's got some of the worst popularity of Nintendo systems. Had the NX been revealed before Smash 4 was getting started, it'd have likely been delayed to be a launch title

Yes, because Little Mac is SOOOO marketable! his latest game is older than Isaac's, so that says something.
But is it a notable factor that the character should be in? Not really. Lip may be the protagonist of Panel de Pon or Prince Sable being the protagonist of For the Frog the Bell Tolls, but does that alone convince (or appeal) the average person (or Sakurai) to use the character, that's a probable no, just think about it for a second.
Doesn't Panel de Pon have...5 games that aren't even called Puzzle League? Not to mention one of the games was a Pokemon spinoff and Lip only appeared in the first iirc. Ergo, not a REOCCURING Protagonist. If Sakurai said no to Takamaru because his game was Japan only, Sable shouldn't get brought upm especially as how Takamaru appeared in more games and had gotten a worldwide release

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Speaking of the NX, what if Smash 5 would just be this Smash, but ported to the NX with new characters, all DLC characters from 4, and a couple of new stages?

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
It would be one of the worst possible buisness moves ever and I hope I don't have to explain why. There would be no excuse for this, not even reintroducing the Ice Climbers on the NX version.

D

Deleted member

Pit is confirmed straight and Samus having a sexuality at all might take away from her image.

I'm a killjoy.
It all depends on the way it could be treated, and it can be a disaster as it could be beyond awesome for their images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom