• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
And I'm saying that we don't know the reason, or if there even was a reason for Snake's "exclusion."

The arguments against Snake are growing thinner. Again, unless either Nintendo or Konami explicitly state that they cannot license Snake for use in the new game, there is absolutely no reason for him to stay out unless Sakurai hates Kojima now.

Nothing has changed.

He was a candidate from the moment he got into Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii.
He was a candidate. He didn't return. We don't know why. We do know that the man and company responsible were never approached for him to return.

Since then, Kojima & Konami have gone VERY public about a rift between the two.

Thus, in my interpretation of the matters, I see him as less hopeful for a return. The nature of being 3rd Party is already a stack against him, despite being a very requested veteran.

At this point, any real argument over Snake's inclusion goes as such.

+He's a very requested veteran in the East and West.
+He's from Brawl, which is data which makes him easier to be transitioned to Smash 4.
+He has a unique moveset.

-The conditions that got him in initially were better between Kojima & Konami than they are now.
-Third Party characters require contractual work before being touched for DLC.
-Nintendo have yet (with our knowledge) to approach Konami to allow Snake to return.

And then it's down to personal interpretation if he's likely or not.

I think that if something cannot happen than it will not happen until it can happen. But that's just me. :p
Can't encompasses won't. But won't doesn't mean can't, that is what I meant.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
(sees this post)

I've made more posts than him and I've been here for a shorter amount of time. I guess I have no life then. (shrugs.)

In this week's Famitsu, Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai has addressed the absence of the Ice Climbers in his bi-weekly column, and how Popo and Nana unfortunately didn’t make the cut this time around due to technical reasons related to the 3DS.
"The icy duo were performing perfectly fine on the Wii U, but unfortunately due to required hardware power, the Smash team was unable to get them up and running within the 3DS confines of the game. According to Sakurai-san, a solution to this problem wasn’t a priority either due to there being no real reason to promote the Ice Climbers – as there are no planned announcements or instalments for this particular series any time soon."
This tells me why
"According to Sakurai, the team had the Ice Climbers running on the Wii U version of the game, but were unable to find the same success on the 3DS, due to the handheld's hardware limitations. Sakurai notes that the series' lack of popularity made the decision to cut them from the game easier."
And this says the same thing.
Neither say with Sakurai's exact words that they can't and won't be included.
They're difficult to program and at least at the time he didn't see a reason for them being in due to irrelevance and lack of popularity. His complete dismissal of them doesn't translate to no? Cause to me it's like "Well they don't work on both version, I can't be bothered because no one cares anyway, and they won't be having a game any time soon, next!" If you don't think so, welp alright.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm a few pages behind because DINNER and taking a shower, but here's why the idea of Young Link is asinine:
First, take a good look at Falco and Ganondorf.
Now look at Dr. Mario.
And because he's back, look at Roy.

What do you see? That outside of a few updated attacks between them (with Ganondorf justifiably getting the most updates), they are still reminiscent of their Melee incarnations in that they have similarities to the characters they were cloned from.

Young Link would be no different. His purpose in Melee was to serve as a clone of Link. A smaller, faster, weaker clone. And if he returns to Smash, that's exactly what his purpose will be.
No amount of "but he can have *insert whatever move ideas here* so he isn't a clone at all!" logic will do a damn thing to change this.
It didn't work for Ganondorf (though like I said earlier, he's received the most updates that make him more distinct from the character he was cloned from).
It didn't work for Falco.
It didn't work for Dr. Mario.
It didn't work for Roy.
Hell, it didn't work for Toon Link, who I will get to in just a moment.

Now, outside of people that hate clones with a burning passion, this wouldn't be bad per se, but there's one glaring issue; Toon Link.
Toon Link serves the exact same purpose as Young Link did. A smaller, faster, weaker clone of Link.
Why do you think Young Link wasn't meant to return for Brawl while Toon Link was introduced?

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
At this point, any real argument over Snake's inclusion goes as such.

+He's a very requested veteran in the East and West.
+He's from Brawl, which is data which makes him easier to be transitioned to Smash 4.
+He has a unique moveset.

-The conditions that got him in initially were better between Kojima & Konami than they are now.
-Third Party characters require contractual work before being touched for DLC.
-Nintendo have yet (with our knowledge) to approach Konami to allow Snake to return..
Fair enough.

I still strongly believe that should he place well in the ballots (as he's doing) Sakurai will at least make an attempt to bring him back, and he already added him once before so at that point there won't be much standing in his way regardless.

As to why he wasn't in the base game, well he was a request in the first place, so it probably was time constraints as Sakurai felt he could hold off on him to add new characters. When Kojima said he wasn't approached, it was still during development, so for all we know Snake could be in the works as we type. Unlikely? Sure, but still a possibility all the same. Sakurai is Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

Discussion's on Snake now, eh?

In my perspective, his odds are indeterminable other than the fact that he has odds.
It can really go either way (preferably the way that leads to his return).

Burruni

Smash Hero
Just for a bit of humor to get us off the veteran track.

"Guess what incredibly overrated game is getting an HD remake?"

"Super Mario 64.... again?"

"No. What if I said Most Over-Used Final Bo--"

"FF7. Dammit."

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

"FF7. Dammit."
Cloud for Smash.

I guess I'll get to see what the hype is all about, I've never played a Final Fantasy game so I'll probably pick it up.
Mostly so I'll actually have something to play on my damn PS4 in the first place.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Cloud for Smash.

I guess I'll get to see what the hype is all about, I've never played a Final Fantasy game so I'll probably pick it up.
Mostly so I'll actually have something to play on my damn PS4 in the first place.
It's a good JRPG. Just really up-played by fans and I will always be more partial to 4, 5, 8, & 9.

I just hope for the love of god IF they include Voice Acting... which they likely will, that they don't use the pretty grating Advent Children/Dirge of Cerberus cast.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I apologize if this theory has already been thought about but what if the Falco amiibo will serve as a cross connection for SF:U and SSB4? Not only his amiibo, but Wolf as well?

Pakky

Smash Hero
On the subject of Star Fox, would it be too much if another member of Star wolf was playable?

mark welford

Smash Ace
On the subject of Star Fox, would it be too much if another member of Star wolf was playable?
That is a good question and I think it wouldn't be too much maybe because of my fanboy biasness and who I see being that 2nd StarWolf character is Leon Powalski he has been with Wolf from the beginning.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
That is a good question and I think it wouldn't be too much maybe because of my fanboy biasness and who see being that 2nd StarWolf character is Leon Powalski he has been with Wolf from the beginning.
Right the Chameleon, he's a sniper right?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
*Young Link* At this point I'm convinced Blue thinks likely means how much he personally likes the character
The shots have been fired. Young Link 4 DLC! :younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee:

I'd surely take Leon for a second Star Wolf, but I think Krystal blows any second Star Wolf character out of the water....and off the planet.......and into the sun.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Vaati...
Not sure if the reason I never hear that name is because everyone unanimously agrees that he's great or that nobody thinks he's even worth talking about. :ohwell:
Well if it counts for something. I would like to see an official 3D model of him someday.

I think another Four Swords would be pretty neat. With the Wii U gamepad and 3DS and all.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why not both?
Yeah, I'd wish. Still, Young Link never was really all that popular in the first place. I doubt he'll be brought back. It also doesn't quite help that Majora's Mask already seems to be represented by Mii Fighter outfits.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The entire purpose of Young Link was for there to be a Child version of Link to be with the adult variation.

With his entire purpose already fulfilled, why would they make another one? Marth and Roy were supposed to be opposites, and they still are. I'm not sure I see how Young Link's possibility grows with Roy when Toon Link (you know, his replacement) still lives.

Pichu is much more likely IMO, and would be better to see (But I'll always hope for Popo and Nana to make a return of sorts). Young Link won't be getting decloned / Luigi-fied anytime soon.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Krystal does have a notable amount of support and if she gets confirmed for Star Fox U, her support is going to jump.

:231:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

"FF7. Dammit."
You know... I was just thinking about Super Mario 64 last night... and I thought... why not "New Super Mario 64" where 4 players can play as the characters from Super Mario 64 DS and Super Mario 3D World (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Rosalina, Yoshi, and Wario) in 15 new paintings in Peach's renovated castle (it's been through a lot in the last 20 years).

Burruni

Smash Hero
I, personally, feel like Krystal isn't that lucky in spite of her having some pretty good support.

And it's because the crux of her moveset potential, as I've seen it from fans, is from Adventures.... the Sunshine or Epic Yarn of Star Fox which has kinda lost its impact within the series after these years.

But it still has a trophy in the game (Tricky) and I'm supporting some GBA era heroes, so that's probably something hyprocritical of me to claim.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
In terms of Snipers I would say Trace but he's low on the Metroid pecking order.
Not much else in terms of those sort of characters really.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
*Young Link* At this point I'm convinced Blue thinks likely means how much he personally likes the character
This one of the reasons I don't like discussing in this thread. :glare:

I'm a few pages behind because DINNER and taking a shower, but here's why the idea of Young Link is asinine:
First, take a good look at Falco and Ganondorf.
Now look at Dr. Mario.
And because he's back, look at Roy.

What do you see? That outside of a few updated attacks between them (with Ganondorf justifiably getting the most updates), they are still reminiscent of their Melee incarnations in that they have similarities to the characters they were cloned from.

Young Link would be no different. His purpose in Melee was to serve as a clone of Link. A smaller, faster, weaker clone. And if he returns to Smash, that's exactly what his purpose will be.
No amount of "but he can have *insert whatever move ideas here* so he isn't a clone at all!" logic will do a damn thing to change this.
It didn't work for Ganondorf (though like I said earlier, he's received the most updates that make him more distinct from the character he was cloned from).
It didn't work for Falco.
It didn't work for Dr. Mario.
It didn't work for Roy.
Hell, it didn't work for Toon Link, who I will get to in just a moment.

Now, outside of people that hate clones with a burning passion, this wouldn't be bad per se, but there's one glaring issue; Toon Link.
Toon Link serves the exact same purpose as Young Link did. A smaller, faster, weaker clone of Link.
Why do you think Young Link wasn't meant to return for Brawl while Toon Link was introduced?
Agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Sharla is a sniper but she isnt exactly the most popular xenoblade character.

also she is a medic which further confuses things.

If wolf was in the base roster and, as long as she is in SFU, she would probably be one of the most popular newcomers right now. But with Wolf fighting for DLC instead of on the base roster A lot of her potential fans are probably still going for Wolf, pushing Krystal down.

oh and Slippy > Leon
Slippy >Krystal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom