• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
By the way, did anyone else notice what Sakurai said about Roy and Lucas?

He hoped that we would enjoy them, especially since those two in particular were so popular...

It would seem that their massive fan demand is responsible for bringing the two back. Wonder how that may impact future DLC...
Hopefully smart choices and none that pertain to things that are already highly oversaturated in Smash.

Wolf please Sakurai. Speaking of Wolf what about the Panther guy from Star Wolf as fighter in instead of Krystal?

Last edited:
I have a question for users with both Wii U and 3DS versions, will you get DLC for both versions or one version only?

Personally I'm getting characters for both versions, stages for Wii U version only (except Suzaku Castle because bundle), and I'm not getting Mii costumes at all.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I have a question for users with both Wii U and 3DS versions, will you get DLC for both versions or one version only?

Personally I'm getting characters for both versions, stages for Wii U version only (except Suzaku Castle because bundle), and I'm not getting Mii costumes at all.
I'll be getting all the DLC for both versions. I still like to play Smash on my 3DS from time to time.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

I get stages and fighters on both versions. I also don't get mii costumes.

Edit: So I finally got the update, still been trying to get the fighters and no luck.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
"Of the many fighters from past versions, I hope fans are happy with these two that were pretty popular"
TBH, I don't think this means we'll get strictly popular characters yet.
He was just pointing out that those guys were just popular, out of all the veterans who were cut in the game.

Last edited:
Only reason I don't get stages on the 3DS version is because I don't play it much anymore...

Also finally got to the eShop!

EDIT: Damn, it's currently on maintenance.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
"Of the many fighters from past versions, I hope fans are happy with these two that were pretty popular"
TBH, I don't think this means we'll get strictly popular characters yet.
He was just pointing out that those guys were just popular, out of all the veterans who were cut in the game.
Wolf is about as popular as them. I still think it's a safe bet we'll still see him make it back in. He just released 3 characters at once, 2 of them serving as a "surprise". I think it's great that both Roy and Lucas are back. But am not expecting the whole slew of veterans to be put back as you did previously... Speaking, has your stance already changed? Is Young Link still likely in your eyes?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
By the way, did anyone else notice what Sakurai said about Roy and Lucas?

He hoped that we would enjoy them, especially since those two in particular were so popular...

It would seem that their massive fan demand is responsible for bringing the two back. Just like Mewtwo, I'd imagine. Wonder how that may impact future DLC...
I hope he still adds the rest of the veterans.
Speaking of which, I spent last night working on this. It's an attempt to declone Young Link. I was going for a combo based Young Link as opposed to the power based Link and the projectile based Toon Link. Any constructive criticism is appreciated, and any people getting mad at me for doing Young Link... well that's not appreciated. Anyway, here it is:
(It's not that big, but spoiler box just in case)
Young Link from Melee to ssb4! (Red is nerfs green is buffs, and blue doesn't change things)
The first and last hit of Young Link’s Jab deal less damage
Infinite Combo now has a finisher.
Forward Smash is now a stab, making it easier to KO with
Down Smash is now a spin, which gives it less ending lag.

It now has deals an even amount of damage, and is significantly stronger because of it.
Dash Attack has more KO power

It has more ending lag
Forward Tilt is a horizontal slash, and doesn’t as have much vertical distance

It has slightly more range
Up tilt is now an uppercut of sorts.
It is faster, and has more combo ability.
It doesn’t hit behind him.
Forward Areal hits lower on the first hit, allowing for it to hit easier, and combos into the second hit which can now KO at high percents.
The first hit on the forward areal deals less damage, and the second hit does more damage, but it deals less damage overall.
The move must now hit with both hits to receive much knockback, making it easier to punish.
Back Areal is faster
Up Areal has more KO power.

Pummel deals less damage.
Young Link has a new back throw; he turns around and slashes the opponent.
This has more KO power.
It also deals more damage.
Fire Bow sets the ground on fire when the arrow lands, allowing for combos if an opponent steps on it.

The arrows deal less damage.
Spin Slash has slightly better vertical recovery.
Bombs are now hit a couple times before launching opponents, allowing for combos.

The bombs do a lot less damage.
Young Link now has a Final Smash. The Fierce Deity.
Anything not mentioned stays the same.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I managed to get Lucas. Now I have to try for Ryu and Dream Land, then I'll be done. Anyway, I'm guessing the next wave of DLC will come in August. Probably coming with Wolf, Tourney Mode, Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle, and another character.

Is Young Link still likely in your eyes?
He is possible, but Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Pichu are more likely in my opinion. Snake and ICs are debatable due to what's been happening on Konami recently (and Kojima leaving) and problems with 3DS. I personally would rather not have him though, I feel he is unnecessary with Toon Link already in the game (At least Lucina and Roy aren't another versions of Marth).

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I still believe the only likely veteran is Wolf, at this point. He simply has everything going in his favor, and he's the next logical step after the three veterans we have now.

All the other veterans either have technical issues, or simply don't have the demand to warrant a return.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So Ryu plays like a traditional fighting game character being extremely combo oriented, has multiple projectiles, and the longest stunning move in the game. There's no way this can go hilariously wrong...
Do you remember KumaOso and SmashChu having debates over this way back in 2010? :laugh:

Yeah, I also think that Wolf is the last veteran were going to get. The rest don't either have enough demand (:squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee::younglinkmelee:) or have something else against their inclusion (:popo::snake:).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With the moveset change Roy had, Young Link feels a bit more likelier his chances to me are like 25% now. (5% from last time)
But don't you know Young Link already got moveset changes!? From Melee to Brawl he got a new Neutral Air, Forward Air, Back Air and he became floatier! :toonlink:

Not sure anymore whether to get all three characters to both versions or Wii U version, as I barely play 3DS version anymore (I did get Mewtwo for both though). I would save 3.00€ if I get them for Wii U version only.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
If the download of the DLC aborts, does the e-shop eat my money? I need to know so i can start downloading without regrets.

Toon Link could very well be considered as Young Link's spiritual successor. But I can see your point, they're not really the same.
That isn't a joke though. :seuss:

:231:
its still rude to say every time young link gets brought up.

its getting annoying for me too. And i dont even want YL

the less character specific insults the better

EX :4feroy: and :4roy: every time roy was brought up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom