• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm glad to see Splatoon doing well out the gate and the only games that has beaten it in terms of 1st week sales are Smash, NSMBU and MK8 but that is to be expected of Smash and the Mario franchise. Splatoon may have cemented it's spot as a IP and we might see the Inkling as a character 7-8 years from now in Smash. Does anyone else get a 90s Nick vibe off of Splatoon?
Most definitely slime time live comes to mind right away, can't wait to get some funds together to pick it up.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I'm glad to see Splatoon doing well out the gate and the only games that has beaten it in terms of 1st week sales are Smash, NSMBU and MK8 but that is to be expected of Smash and the Mario franchise. Splatoon may have cemented it's spot as a IP and we might see the Inkling as a character 7-8 years from now in Smash. Does anyone else get a 90s Nick vibe off of Splatoon?
When I watched the initial reveal trailer at E3 for splatoon, I literally thought it was a Nickelodeon game for the Wii U.

Burruni

Smash Hero
When I watched the initial reveal trailer at E3 for splatoon, I literally thought it was a Nickelodeon game for the Wii U.
And people loved it then.
Here we are almost a full year later, and the game has had issues having enough physical copies to meet demand.
And soon having their characters properly enter the Smash battlefield

I dont think this thread has ever been this quiet since it was locked

Sooooo hypothetically what if Goldensun 4 is announced with Matthew as the main character and no mention of Isaac. Do you expect a large shift in support? could matthew be the goldensun "rep"? is this even feasible (as in matthew isnt dead in goldensun 3 or something)?

And a follow up (seperate question) if matthew is added as DLC instead of Isaac because of the above question.

I got this idea from burruni's sig :upsidedown: Needed SOMETHING to get talk active again.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Sooooo hypothetically what if Goldensun 4 is announced with Matthew as the main character and no mention of Isaac. Do you expect a large shift in support? could matthew be the goldensun "rep"? is this even feasible (as in matthew isnt dead in goldensun 3 or something)?

And a follow up (seperate question) if matthew is added as DLC instead of Isaac because of the above question.

I got this idea from burruni's sig :upsidedown: Needed SOMETHING to get talk active again.
Legitimately, I still don't think so.

Because Isaac still kinda stands as the poster child for Golden Sun who already got into Smash in some form. Matthew didn't die in GS3 but Isaac was the protagonist of GS1 and the main driving plot foil for GS2, and he's the father to Matthew who still keeps a prescence in GS3.

People still asked for Roy and not Eliwood, I don't think it's going to make a massive shift from Isaac to Matthew.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

No, probably not. First of all, Isaac would be required to be in the game anyway due to the ending of Dark Dawn. Second of all, Matthew was the main character of the last GS. All a GS game announcement would do is increase support for Isaac dramatically, because he's the Marth of the series. No large shift in support required.

And no, Matthew isn't dead in GS3. That said, odds are iffy if Matthew would be the main character again. The main character has shifted each game. (Isaac isn't the main character of GS2, but he's still the most important character story-wise by the end of it.)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Isaac as playable with a Matthew skin and Matthew as AT would be okay in my books

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
And people loved it then.
Here we are almost a full year later, and the game has had issues having enough physical copies to meet demand.
And soon having their characters properly enter the Smash battlefield
I wouldn't say people loved it, but it did look cool. It still had about a year to go before the game was released so no one was completely sure then.

Anyway a little game I came up with: Who do you think is doing the most well in the ballot right now? My guess is K.Rool, if I recall in the last few months before the game came out the most requested characters were Ridley, Mewtwo, and K.Rool. Mewtwo is playable now and Ridley is a boss. That leaves K.Rool hence he is probably doing very well in the ballot. In fact I think he is the most likely character behind Wolf(Not counting Roy and Ryu).

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
He's probably high up there, but I think many assume he's going to be pre-planned.

Edit: I honestly think everyone thinks Wolf is a lock for various reasons, but it's votes that matter and we don't really know how many votes Wolf is getting compared to others. Still though, he could easily be high up there.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Best performing in the Ballot?

Honestly it has to be King K. for now.

He's got the massive demand on both shores and arguably the best credentials for any newcomer.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I must admit, lack of Wolf placeholder data along with Ryu and Roy makes me nervous about his chances. I just got done playing Starfox Assault for the first time, and I want him back more than ever.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wouldn't say people loved it, but it did look cool. It still had about a year to go before the game was released so no one was completely sure then.

Anyway a little game I came up with: Who do you think is doing the most well in the ballot right now? My guess is K.Rool, if I recall in the last few months before the game came out the most requested characters were Ridley, Mewtwo, and K.Rool. Mewtwo is playable now and Ridley is a boss. That leaves K.Rool hence he is probably doing very well in the ballot. In fact I think he is the most likely character behind Wolf(Not counting Roy and Ryu).
I am sure Wolf and Snake are dominating on the veteran side, with ICs getting a fair few requests, but not a ton due to pessimism/lack of importance comparatively. I can see casuals also throwing in lots of Roy votes, unaware that he's already coming. The others, outside of potential Japanese support for Pichu, aren't close.

For the newcomers, it's tough to say...how much does the OMG HYPE from Banjo/random indies translate into votes, and how much is that offset by Japan, where no one cares about them? Then, you have K. Rool, Isaac and Inkling seemingly being the most recurring names from the first party newcomer pool in that order, with varying shades of Japanese support.

I expect the Banjo/indie votes to receive an "apology" from Nintendo for "not being able to accomodate them," with Snake being in a gray area where his odds really depend on why he was axed in the first place. If Ice Climbers' problems get resolved, you have to imagine they'll be back. That leaves Wolf, K. Rool, Isaac, and Inkling as stand-out candidates.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I am sure Wolf and Snake are dominating on the veteran side, with ICs getting a fair few requests, but not a ton due to pessimism/lack of importance comparatively. I can see casuals also throwing in lots of Roy votes, unaware that he's already coming. The others, outside of potential Japanese support for Pichu, aren't close.

For the newcomers, it's tough to say...how much does the OMG HYPE from Banjo/random indies translate into votes, and how much is that offset by Japan, where no one cares about them? Then, you have K. Rool, Isaac and Inkling seemingly being the most recurring names from the first party newcomer pool in that order, with varying shades of Japanese support.
Ridley's also really high up there, as well, from what I've heard; practically the fourth most recurring name.

But really, I think that Ridley just needs an enormous push for Sakurai to even consider it again; and the Smash Ballot gives us that chance to show him how many people want him as a fighter.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Best performing in the Ballot?

Honestly it has to be King K. for now.

He's got the massive demand on both shores and arguably the best credentials for any newcomer.
Yep.
That is extremely arguable.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee is underrated, but yeah, whatever.

How many "Marios" or pre-ballot characters are in the data?
I forgot.
4. Lucas was the last name before them. So Roy and Ryu are 2 of the 4.
But all of them may not be for Pre-Ballot.
It could be plans for 5 Pre-Ballot and leaving 1 as a base for the Ballot.

Yep.
That is extremely arguable.
Yeah, just... a highly requested newcomer from both major fronts that has been a long running villain for his series (Missed 3 total games of DK that had combat), and heavy amount of moveset potential from repeated and diverse encounters.

Just for starters.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
4. Lucas was the last name before them. So Roy and Ryu are 2 of the 4.
But all of them may not be for Pre-Ballot.
It could be plans for 5 Pre-Ballot and leaving 1 as a base for the Ballot.
All this ballot thing for just one character sounds stupid to me, but yeah, it's possible.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ridley's also really high up there, as well, from what I've heard; practically the fourth most recurring name.

But really, I think that Ridley just needs an enormous push for Sakurai to even consider it again; and the Smash Ballot gives us that chance to show him how many people want him as a fighter.
Ridley is a character I wouldn't be surprised to see rank highly, there's just a really sad amount of pessimism among online fans that seems to be affecting his standing, aided by the "SHUT UP AND GET OVER IT, HE'S NEVER HAPPENING" crowd.

Really, after K. Rool and Isaac, and maybe Inkling, there's a wide distribution of first party characters getting votes, with Ridley, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Impa, and Paper Mario off the top of my head scoring reasonably well on various sites. But then again, for all we know, there are creeps out there, using dirty tricks to flood the ballot for some completely random character (Birdo, for example)...which, unless Nintendo scrutinizes the votes, could be problematic.

Something worth considering about the ballot...how many votes ultimately end up getting submitted, and what chunk of those any given character has. I expect the ballot to easily receive upward of a million votes by October, but among that, surely guys like K. Rool and Isaac won't break more than several thousand votes. Is that sort of plurality going to be rewarded, or is Nintendo going to see their votes in terms of the overall percentage and say "not that many people care, let's just throw in whoever"?

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Yeah, just... a highly requested newcomer from both major fronts that has been a long running villain for his series (Missed 3 total games of DK that had combat), and heavy amount of moveset potential from repeated and diverse encounters.

Just for starters.
Oh, Don't get me wrong, K. Rool is very qualified. Probably Top 5.
But Toad has been a Mario staple almost since the beginning of the series with numerous playable appearances and high popularity. He is also so I conic as to be recognizable by many non-gamers.
There really isn't any competition.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
But Toad has been a Mario staple almost since the beginning of the series with numerous playable appearances and high popularity. He is also so I conic as to be recognizable by many non-gamers.
He's also a generic design, and there's nothing really seperating Toad proper from any other Toads outside of him having the species name as his name.

At least K.Rool isn't a generic with a new name and role. :p

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
He's also a generic design, and there's nothing really seperating Toad proper from any other Toads outside of him having the species name as his name.

At least K.Rool isn't a generic with a new name and role. :p
:4pikachu::4yoshi::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4charizard:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I really, truly believe it doesn't matter how many votes Ridley gets. He could be the most voted and it wouldn't matter. Sakurai actively did not include him as a fighter in both Brawl and 4, and stated publicly in an interview both times that he had no intentions to make him a fighter in either game despite his popularity, despite changing his mind on other characters. Sakurai knows people want to play as Ridley. He just doesn't agree.

People are totally free to vote for Ridley in the ballot. I think those votes will be more useful for 5mash than Smash 4 DLC, though.

Nobody is voting for Toad though, except for Captain Toad, who has quite the minor (miner?) fanbase overall. Show me a place where Toad is pulling in anywhere near the amount of votes and popularity as K. Rool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just wanted to update my "main chart" I first established on March 3rd :

My main
:4shulk:

My second mains
:4samus::4mewtwo::4zss::4robinm::4miibrawl:

My third mains
:4mario::4yoshi::4falcon::4ganondorf::4falco:
:4lucas::4lucario::4tlink::4greninja::4darkpit:

The occasional ones
:4dk::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4luigi::4jigglypuff::4ness:
:4peach::4bowser::4sheik::4marth::4gaw::4drmario:
:4metaknight::4pit::4wario::4myfriends::4diddy::4olimar::4sonic:
:4villager::rosalina::4littlemac::4lucina::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4megaman::4pacman::4miisword::4miigun:

The "never-gonna-main-them-any-time-soon" ones
:4link::4zelda::4charizard::4dedede::4rob::4wiifit::4palutena:

As to know that :4shulk: intervert with :4robinm: on the 3DS version for the role of my main, on principle.

And yes, just because I was rather reluctant about :4darkpit:'s inclusion at first didn't mean I dislike him nor I'll not give him a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Don't forget :4mii::4villager:. I remember detractors saying they were generic back in the day...

Oh yeah, and :4duckhunt:. He's just a generic dog! Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Oh, and Inklings are generic and they are practically a shoo-in for SSB5.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In terms of who's dominating the charts in the ballot:

The issue isn't whether Toad is "generic" or not.

The issue is that his fanbase is very very very very small compared to K. Rool and not as many people are voting for him for one reason or another.

And the fact that any support K. Rool has is the result of dedicated grassroots activism.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
*Smash 4 lol.
Nobody is a shoo in. There's no guarantee there will even be a Smash 5.
LOL assuming Nintendo hates money. There WILL be a Smash 5.

People said the same thing about SSB4 and we ended up getting two versions.

In terms of who's dominating the charts in the ballot:

The issue isn't whether Toad is "generic" or not.

The issue is that his fanbase is very very very very small compared to K. Rool and not as many people are voting for him for one reason or another.

And the fact that any support K. Rool has is the result of dedicated grassroots activism.
Grassroots activisim? Smash is a political movement now? What is Smash? Nintendo Congress made of Nintendo Senate and Nintendo Treehouse of Representatives?

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

People forget that Samsh 64 was intended to be a one-off...Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 were not meant to happen, but they did...Smash is only getting bigger (especially now that DLC is a part of Smash), and as long as nintendo continues to release new consoles, somebody (whether or not it will be Sakurai) is going to make a smash game for the newest console...

StormC

Smash Hero
Is R.O.B. even a drone in the context of Gyromite and Stack Up?

As for Yoshi, he has the benefit of having more major roles between his introduction and Smash 64 than Toad ever did. He was a major supporting character in Super Mario World and since then had at least five games to his name (two of which were platformers where he was a fully playable character). Toad never really got that same spotlight.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The way Nintendo's been handling amiibo I wouldn't be surprised to learn they do, in fact, hate money.
My point is to not assume a character will get in, ever. It doesn't end well.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So what's going on here?
Is everyone still convinced we'll see Ryu at E3?
I'm actually not too sure. As is the norm with this community a lot of people seem to be under the impression we'll get exactly three characters at this year's E3 because we got exactly three at E3 2013 and 2014.
And of course since there's one third-party reveal for each = Ryu will be revealed at E3.

It's easy to assume that Ryu and Roy being the only ones in the updated files = they're next after Lucas, but you never know.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So what's going on here?

Is everyone still convinced we'll see Ryu at E3?
Ryu in Smash would be amazing.

I still don't like the idea of Roy coming back in SSB4... especially when we already have Lucina as the Marth clone. If Roy is changed a bit to the point he is more like Wolf and Lucas, then I guess that would be all right.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Being a Marth clone is the least of Roy's problems. I'd take five Marth clones and semi-clones with as much deviation as Roy if there were characters like Anna, Kamui, Leif, etc. in his stead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom