• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I decided to make a list of ten characters I DON'T think will be added if and when we get a new Smash. Apologies in advance if you support any of these guys, I mean to offend no one and I'll be happy to eat crow if they do get in.

1. Geno (not even gonna bring up the usual reason, there's just too many more recognizable Mario characters.

2. Gen 7 Pokemon (people tend to beg for random event Pokemon from odd numbered gens and then we typically skip a Gen.)

3. Any Fire Emblem character you have to go out of your way to recruit (just not important enough to the series.)

4. Any Zelda character that only pops up for one game and instantly gets a fanbase (again, just not important enough to the series. I call they're being an Assist Trophy.)

5. Any additional Kid Icarus characters (I just doubt it.)

6. Any new F-Zero characters (adding a new series that isn't active is easy to see happen. Adding a veteran from an inactive series just isn't)

7. Cranky Kong (Too many other DK characters. Dixie, K. Rool, and quite frankly Pauline.)

8. Rayman (I don't see it, really.)

9. Bomberman (Again, just can't see it.)

10. Any new Wario characters (I feel like the subseries is a touch too obscure to get a new character just yet.)

Sorry for any errors with grammar/vocabulary, I typed this up quick. Anything here also applies to DLC now.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I still don't understand why everyone has collectively thrown up their hands in defeat and moved on to a hypothetical Smash game for their favorite characters.
Especially considering the Fighter Ballot both affects said game and may get said characters in now.

You want a character bad enough, talk about them now, support them now, don't just say "I'll wait for when Smash 5 gets announced". Smash 5 could come out at a time where your character is completely irrelevant and now nobody cares about them.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I still don't understand why everyone has collectively thrown up their hands in defeat and moved on to a hypothetical Smash game for their favorite characters.
Especially considering the Fighter Ballot both affects said game and may get said characters in now.
Maybe we figure not many characters will get in from the ballot and have too many characters we think should get in?

Either that or it's a force of habit from speculating previous games.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Maybe we figure not many characters will get in from the ballot and have too many characters we think should get in?
Either that or it's a force of habit from speculating previous games.
Again, it's that pessimistic, defeatist attitude I can't stand when we're supporting content to get into a video game. It's not politics. There's very little to lose to from asking for something that you don't have faith in.
Look at the characters I'm supporting. I want Midna and Wolf Link. You think I fully expect them to get in even with my love and attention? Hell no. But I'm going to support anyway because I want them in and nobody can take that from me.

Frankly, if more people thought the way I did about the Fighter Ballot the hypothetical "race" would be a million times closer, not only because people would vote for characters they want more openly, but also because they wouldn't "bandwagon" the biggest candidates because they don't believe in what they want anymore.
My point is, there's always the possibility your character gets in. Everyone thought Robin and Duck Hunt would not ever happen because they weren't the frontrunners for their categories but now they're in, everyone loves them.

Which is another thing, you shouldn't let detractors destroy your support. Because a lot of them will end up loving that character anyways because Smash Bros. is the most brilliant game ever.

StormC

Smash Hero
There's very little to lose to from asking for something that you don't have faith in.
Just time and energy.

Though perhaps I'm not one to talk as my most wanted has arguably the best standing of any character not in the game. But even keeping up with K. Rool talk, news and speculation is exhausting, and I could use a payoff sooner than later. I ain't getting any younger.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Just time and energy.
Though perhaps I'm not one to talk as my most wanted has arguably the best standing of any character not in the game. But even keeping up with K. Rool talk, news and speculation is exhausting, and I could use a payoff sooner than later. I ain't getting any younger.
It's...really not that strenuous to support characters for Smash Bros. I have wished for characters that didn't get in before (RIP in spaghetti Ghirahim) and it didn't really affect me that badly in the long run nor did it take everything out of me.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Again, it's that pessimistic, defeatist attitude I can't stand when we're supporting content to get into a video game. It's not politics. There's very little to lose to from asking for something that you don't have faith in.
Look at the characters I'm supporting. I want Midna and Wolf Link. You think I fully expect them to get in even with my love and attention? Hell no. But I'm going to support anyway because I want them in and nobody can take that from me.

Frankly, if more people thought the way I did about the Fighter Ballot the hypothetical "race" would be a million times closer, not only because people would vote for characters they want more openly, but also because they wouldn't "bandwagon" the biggest candidates because they don't believe in what they want anymore.
My point is, there's always the possibility your character gets in. Everyone thought Robin and Duck Hunt would not ever happen because they weren't the frontrunners for their categories but now they're in, everyone loves them.

Which is another thing, you shouldn't let detractors destroy your support. Because a lot of them will end up loving that character anyways because Smash Bros. is the most brilliant game ever.
The problem occurs when the only character you feel like supporting for non-bandwagon reasons is as reviled by the fan base as Shrek and Goku.

Poor Tails

It's not even that I think his chances are rock bottom, I just see so much hate for him that I've turned cold, bitter, and overly calculating.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The problem occurs when the only character you feel like supporting for non-bandwagon reasons is as reviled by the fan base as Shrek and Goku.
Poor Tails

It's not even that I think his chances are rock bottom, I just see so much hate for him that I've turned cold, bitter, and overly calculating.
Well then there's nothing else to say. Again, you should never let detractors bring you down. But if that is what you have done I probably can't convince you otherwise.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Well then there's nothing else to say. Again, you should never let detractors bring you down. But if that is what you have done I probably can't convince you otherwise.
What I have done?. . .

Those words seem to cut deep within my heart, even as I struggle to understand them.

I see that the time for me to be more accepting is at hand.

I only ask that others do the same for me. . .

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
So is no one talking about the fact we have a release date for Lucas, Splatoon Mii costumes, and a new stage on June 14? Isn't that around the same time as the Nintendo E3 event?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
All I'm saying is, when the first ballot character is like Shantae or something, many will think, "huh, guess I should have supported Nabbit after all".

EDIT:
So is no one talking about the fact we have a release date for Lucas, Splatoon Mii costumes, and a new stage on June 14? Isn't that around the same time as the Nintendo E3 event?
It's being discussed elsewhere.
I don't really have an opinion on it. Wait, yes I do.
It's "LUCAS HYPE WOOOOO"

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Nintendo World Championship but not the Digital Event which is two days AFTER :4lucas:is out.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
All I'm saying is, when the first ballot character is like Shantae or something, many will think, "huh, guess I should have supported Nabbit after all".
Well, duuuuuh.

Beware, big moveset below. (No pic, still big.)
Nabbit moveset:

Moveset:
Jab: Nabbit swings the sack to the left and to the right, before slamming an open sack on the ground like a bug-net.
Short opponents will get catched completely, but on taller opponents, only the head will be catched.
This is purely an aesthetic feature and won't affect damage and knockback.

Opponents catched will act grabbed and will face Nabbit.
If an opponent is caught, the player can keep holding the button to let the sack rumble, dealing damage to opponents inside.
The finisher involves Nabbit jump on the opponent's head, while pulling off the sack off the opponent's head.
Then Nabbit jumps off the opponent's head and can keep running, or go in for a sneaky backstab.

Foward Tilt: Nabbit swings the sack in front of him
Up Tilt: Nabbit swings the sack above him in a windmill-like manner
Down Tilt: Nabbit drags the sack over the floor like it's a golf club.
Dash Attack: Nabbit swings his sack up and down like it's an hammer.

Neutral Air: Nabbit jumps in his sack, causing it to get bigger.
Forward Air:
Nabbit holds the opening of the sack, causing a coin to fly out at high speed.
The coin is as big as a Star Bit and acts like Villager's slingshot.

Back Air: Nabbit swings his sack behind him.
Up Air: Nabbit opens his sack, and a Piranha Plant shoots out.
Down Air: Nabbit dumps his loot, opening his sack.
This causes a few acorns and coins to fall out.

Forward Smash: Nabbit swings his sack on the ground. The sack gets bigger when charged.
Up Smash: Nabbit opens his bag, and a random Mario enemy jumps out, be it a Piranha Plant, a Cheep Chomp and a Bullet Bill
Down Smash: Nabbit swings his open sack from left to right, trapping any opponents close in the sack.
Any moves done with the sack will now damage the opponent directly. Go for the Forward Smash for a big burst of damage.

Grab: Nabbit puts the sack over the opponent.
Pummel: The sack rumbles.
Forward Throw: Nabbit uses the sack as a golf club, holding the backpart of the sack, and swings it away, with the opponents flying out as Nabbit sweats for having such poor golf skills.
Back Throw: Nabbit picks up the bag and throws the opponents away like Mario's back throw.
Up Throw: Nabbit jumps very high, and comes down very fast. The landing causes the bag to open and shoot the opponents away.
Down Throw: Nabbit shakes the sack up and down six times, with the opponent getting shot out the sixth throw.

Neutral Special:
Treasure Catch:
Nabbit opens his bag to catch any projectile he encounters.
If he catches a projectile in his bag, Nabbit glows yellow and gains Super Armor.

If Nabbit gains the damage the projectile in his bag would have given, the Super Armor expires.

The Super Armor kicks in directly after the projectile is caught and Nabbit can only catch one projectile, as the bag stays closed when the button is pressed again.

Side Special:
Thieve's Trail
Similar to Fox Illusion, Nabbit will sprint very fast in a line.
Unlike Fox Illusion though, Nabbit will leave dust clouds that act like the Smoke Bomb item, obscuring the view where he travels.

If Nabbit encounters an opponent, he'll steal any items and charge (DK's Giant Punch, WFT's Sun Salutation) the opponent had.

Up Special:
Bag-A-Chute
Nabbit opens his bag to use it as a squirrel suit.
Aside from gaining air speed and slowing descend, Nabbit can also press A to fly up a little bit up to three times.

Down Special:
Treasure Chest

Nabbit opens his sack and shakes it, letting a Treasure Chest out.
The chest bounces along the ground before coming to a stillstand.

When the chest is opened, an explosion occurs.

Final Smash:
Coin Heaven
When Nabbit activates the Final Smash, his bag grows giant and Nabbit will get invincible.

If the player presses A, Nabbit throws out a part of his loot that damages and possibly KOs his enemies.
This can be done until the time runs out.

Playstyle

Nabbit is a Fragile Speedster: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FragileSpeedster
This means Nabbit is very fast, but doesn't have much weight.
Think Glass Cannon with speed instead of power.

Of course, Nabbit also has a few tricks as a thief, being able to steal projectiles to gain a little of his New Super Luigi U. invincibility with Treasure Catch, or he can steal anything that the opponent had in hand with Thief's Trail.

I didn't want to have too many invisibility or other thief gimmicks, because Nabbit uses his speed more to rob Toad Houses than his stealth, but I think I made a nice compromise in Thief's Trail between representing the Thief-trope and Nabbit's lack of stealth-tactics.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

You want a character bad enough, talk about them now, support them now, don't just say "I'll wait for when Smash 5 gets announced". Smash 5 could come out at a time where your character is completely irrelevant and now nobody cares about them.
Which is precisely why I'm trying to revive the Amaterasu thread......It's not going well so far. :(

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This is something I've been trying to point out all along...Don't take your wanted character's for granted...If you truly want them in then support said character...However for some (Midna, Dark Samus, Ridley) everyone has this 'assumption' that they will never become DLC because of their roles in game so they don't support them...because supporting King K Rool and Bandana Dee is the cool thing to do (not bashing those that genuinely want them in just using them as examples since they are popular picks)...

If my wanted characters have near 0% chances so be it...It's just that much sweeter if it actually does happen, after I've been behind them all this time!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Which is precisely why I'm trying to revive the Amaterasu thread......It's not going well so far. :(
Amaterasu...
Deep down I'm secretly hoping that Ryu is the first in a Capcom-themed Smash Bros. expansion that includes him, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu and Jill.
And tons of Mii costumes obviously.

it's hard to keep a thread active with very few people. EX my viridi thread.

Characters like amaterasu dont have many fans so they dont get much activity. IT doesnt help that the little wolf isnt exactly likely meaning no one will go out and campaign for what some would deem a fruitless endeavor
Amaterasu...
Deep down I'm secretly hoping that Ryu is the first in a Capcom-themed Smash Bros. expansion that includes him, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu and Jill.
Viewtiful Joe thogh :troll:
This is something I've been trying to point out all along...Don't take your wanted character's for granted...If you truly want them in then support said character...However for some (Midna, Dark Samus, Ridley) everyone has this 'assumption' that they will never become DLC because of their roles in game so they don't support them...because supporting King K Rool and Bandana Dee is the cool thing to do (not bashing those that genuinely want them in just using them as examples since they are popular picks)...

If my wanted characters have near 0% chances so be it...It's just that much sweeter if it actually does happen, after I've been behind them all this time!
My top 2 are Ridley and viridi. I gladly support them. But I know they arent happening. I wont lay down and jump on a bandwagon but I really have no reason to campaign hard.

Now wonder Red and inklings actually has a chance so if im going to campaign for anyone it might as well be for someone that has a shot.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My top 2 are Ridley and viridi. I gladly support them. But I know they arent happening. I wont lay down and jump on a bandwagon but I really have no reason to campaign hard.
Now wonder Red and inklings actually has a chance so if im going to campaign for anyone it might as well be for someone that has a shot.
See, that's what I'm talking about...someone else may say Wonder Red has no chance at all.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Amaterasu...
Why stop there?

Let's throw in the whole cast of Worlds Unite. . .excluding comic book only characters, of course.

Watch Vyse get 50+ fanfics in a matter of hours.

Pretty boy AND a pirate! :D

After Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed, I would actually welcome him into the game with open arms.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I honestly think Amaterasu is a character that everybody wants, but nobody asks for. I've seriously never heard anyone against her inclusion. I mean, every character has its haters. But I think Amaterasu would have a pretty good shot if her supporters got organized.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I honestly think Amaterasu is a character that everybody wants, but nobody asks for. I've seriously never heard anyone against her inclusion. I mean, every character has its haters. But I think Amaterasu would have a pretty good shot if her supporters got organized.
As long as she doesn't use sacredly marking her territory as a move.

I heard that was an actual thing in her game and we have a lot of fire hydrants we need to protect.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I thought the same thing about Midna and Wolf Link...I would bring up the idea, and the general response was "that will never happen now...but **** YEAH".

As for Ammy, yeah, she's just an all-around good choice. Well-loved, has an astronomical amount of moveset potential, ect. If she were first party I don't think there's a single person who'd object to her inclusion. I don't think I've seen it now actually.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
People don't actively support third parties that are already involved with Smash because people think they won't make it anyways, and Ryu just makes it seem even harder for other Capcom reps....once again it further emphasizes the point that poeple should really support who they want instead of saying....'Welp! Not happening Isaac 4 Smash!

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
....That wasn't a thing.
And the only hydrants are Pacman's
Huh. I could have sworn I read it was a move you could unlock in one of her games somewhere.

And Lloid sort of counts.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I thought the same thing about Midna and Wolf Link...I would bring up the idea, and the general response was "that will never happen now...but **** YEAH".

As for Ammy, yeah, she's just an all-around good choice. Well-loved, has an astronomical amount of moveset potential, ect. If she were first party I don't think there's a single person who'd object to her inclusion. I don't think I've seen it now actually.
Honestly, there's one issue, for me, greater than Ammy being owned by Capcom.

Okamiden happened in 2010.

And the IP hasn't been touched since.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As long as she doesn't use sacredly marking her territory as a move.

I heard that was an actual thing in her game and we have a lot of fire hydrants we need to protect.
....That wasn't a thing.
And the only hydrants are Pacman's
I know for a fact Amaterasu can pee on things. If not actually doing it the animation's there.
She pees on the opponent as a taunt.:facepalm: I doubt they would use that in smash though.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

I know how this feels, I'm supporting Daisy and Toad/Toadette, and I think they both have a decent shot, but I'm always afraid of hostile reactions because they are not K.Rool or Issac. Also "too many Mario characters, and Daisy's in spinoffs and Toad can't fight!"

Don't follow the crowd unless you really want that character. It might pay off in the end.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

That's why I bring this up more often lately.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If we're going by Pokémon, the only ones I care to see are Hawlucha and Gardevoir.

Not that I'd be salty if Meowth was in, he's great and all, he just doesn't do anything for me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And good on you for sticking by what you want, rather than expect and think it "would be cool to see".
I don't expect it will happen but it would be very cool to see.

I imagine Meowth would appear to be in a permanent coin battle even when it is a time match or a stock match... Meowth keeps dropping koban coins every time he gets hit hard... kinda like in Pokemon Pinball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom