• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Frankly, Smash needs more saurians, IMO. Yoshi is barely a dinosaur, and the only other saurian Smash 4 fighters are Charizard, Bowser and Bowser Junior (+ the Koopalings). That's still far, far less than the synapsid fighters we have. Tyrantrum'd be neat to see because of that and the uniqueness of his design compared to the rest of the roster.

Tyrantrum also can't really be a clone, since there's nothing to clone him from, so he'd most likely be fully original. Plus he's recent, , so there's that. As far as Meowth goes, it's pretty unlikely since Team Rocket's taken a backseat in the anime, and they haven't been seen in a new Pokemon game since Generation 2.

If not Tyrantrum, then I'm Team Sceptile all the way.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Frankly, Smash needs more saurians, IMO. Yoshi is barely a dinosaur, and the only other saurian Smash 4 fighters are Charizard, Bowser and Bowser Junior (+ the Koopalings). That's still far, far less than the synapsid fighters we have. Tyrantrum'd be neat to see because of that and the uniqueness of his design compared to the rest of the roster.

Tyrantrum also can't really be a clone, since there's nothing to clone him from, so he'd most likely be fully original. Plus he's recent, , so there's that. As far as Meowth goes, it's pretty unlikely since Team Rocket's taken a backseat in the anime, and they haven't been seen in a new Pokemon game since Generation 2.

You forgot Ivysaur. :p

I would love to see a Draconian fighter. However said creature rarely appears in a video game let alone as a protagonist.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
If Sakurai reveals Ridley and reveals this whole thing was one huge, elaborate way to try and gauge support, I'll be right pleased with it.

'Course, even if it doesn't happen, we'd still have the mod for Project M to keep us happy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

What about T-Rex from Fossil Fighters? It appears to be the mascot of that franchise.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
What about T-Rex from Fossil Fighters? It appears to be the mascot of that franchise.

The T.rex in Fossil Fighters is also just a stylized version of an actual animal, though; and I don't think Sakurai's ever even commented on the series before, let alone if any of it's characters would be feasible as Smash fighters.

The T.rex in Fossil Fighters is also just a stylized version of an actual animal, though; and I don't think Sakurai's ever even commented on the series before, let alone if any of it's characters would be feasible as Smash fighters.
Fossil fighters + T-rex have a trophy in smash

Pretty sure tyrantrum doesn't . Checkmate. :troll:

plus tyrantrum is a very minor character anyway. At least the t-rex is the face of the series.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's...really not that strenuous to support characters for Smash Bros. I have wished for characters that didn't get in before (RIP in spaghetti Ghirahim) and it didn't really affect me that badly in the long run nor did it take everything out of me.
I suppose that depends on what you consider actively supporting a character. It definitely takes time and energy to continuously discuss and hope for a character for years. I speak as someone who has been doing this since pre-Brawl.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I suppose that depends on what you consider actively supporting a character. It definitely takes time and energy to continuously discuss and hope for a character for years. I speak as someone who has been doing this since pre-Brawl.
It is very rewarding when you finally get a payoff for your efforts that spanned 12 years. :4duckhunt:

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Fossil fighters + T-rex have a trophy in smash

Pretty sure tyrantrum doesn't . Checkmate. :troll:

plus tyrantrum is a very minor character anyway. At least the t-rex is the face of the series.
Eh, it's not particularly "minor" per say; Fossil Pokemon are never really "minor" roles, since you can only get one of the new fossils and an Aerodactyl in Gen 6 itself, which would suggest some priority over other Pokemon due to that. It's not like, say, Pikachu, who's always been available in forest areas even if it's somewhat uncommon; Tyrantrum is, in terms of the single-player campaign, one-of-a-kind like Mewtwo and the version mascot is.

And again, there's always the chance that Sakurai doesn't really consider the T.rex in Fossil Fighters as a video-game character, more a fictionalized version of an existing animal; which, well, it is.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Eh, it's not particularly "minor" per say; Fossil Pokemon are never really "minor" roles, since you can only get one of the new fossils and an Aerodactyl in Gen 6 itself, which would suggest some priority over other Pokemon due to that. It's not like, say, Pikachu, who's always been available in forest areas even if it's somewhat uncommon; Tyrantrum is, in terms of the single-player campaign, one-of-a-kind like Mewtwo and the version mascot is.

And again, there's always the chance that Sakurai doesn't really consider the T.rex in Fossil Fighters as a video-game character, more a fictionalized version of an existing animal; which, well, it is.
I thought you could find either fossil in that-cave-that-I-forgot-what-its-name-was.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

LOL WUT

Duck Hunt Dog and Duck are fictionalized versions of existing animals. Try again.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I thought you could find either fossil in that-cave-that-I-forgot-what-its-name-was.
You can obtain either the Jaw Fossil (Tyrunt) or Sail Fossil (Amaura) in Glittering Cave, but not both. The only other fossil you find in there is the Old Amber, which is of course for Aerodactyl.
Duck Hunt Dog and Duck are fictionalized versions of existing animals. Try again.
Not quite; they're cartoonish renderings of real animals (a beagle and a duck), one of which has odd colouration. The T.rex from Fossil Fighters is only vaguely T.rex like due to the small arms; everything else is barely reminiscent of a Tyrannosaurus.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
You can obtain either the Jaw Fossil (Tyrunt) or Sail Fossil (Amaura) in Glittering Cave, but not both. The only other fossil you find in there is the Old Amber, which is of course for Aerodactyl.

Not quite; they're cartoonish renderings of real animals (a beagle and a duck), one of which has odd colouration. The T.rex from Fossil Fighters is only vaguely T.rex like due to the small arms; everything else is barely reminiscent of a Tyrannosaurus.
You can obtain the other fossils post game btw...

D

Deleted member

As much as I would love that considering it's a "MUTHA****ING T-REX!", we might have to settle with that little 'rex that's hanging on to the car in the third image.
Though to be fair, he's like a Digimon in that he can grow to different states of evolution for combat.
There's the Nibblesaurus, which is his default battle form:

Then the Munchasaurus (which is common on promotion from what I've seen):

These next ones can be considered spoilers, so view them at your own risk.

Then the Chompasaurus:

And finally, the Crimson Ravager:

Also, funny thing I just learned; there's the "T-Rex" that you see on these covers, and then there's the "Tyrannosaurus" which you can scan into the 3DS game with an AR card from the website.

It's supposed to represent a real T. Rex as opposed to a fantasy fire-breathing version of one. It's also one of the few "Vivosaurs" that's actually referred to as a dinosaur. Others include the Triceratops and Brontosaurus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Tyrantrum and F.F. T-Rex are imo around the same level as differentiated fromo the original creature.

But there are two big differences.

T-Rex is the poster child for his series and often one of the "Ultimate" species the player strives for, like a Legendary Pokemon while Tyrantrum doesn't particularly have highlight in Pokemon besides being part of a Gym Leader's team.

Secondly, T-Rex has an equivilent to a mega evolution called "T-Rex Lord." In game picture here. Honestly the biggest issues against it are the middling support of the series and how firey reptiles are :4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard: in a fairly saturated market.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
One of the reasons why I liked the idea of T-Rex from Fossil Fighters in Smash is because it reminds me of Primal Rage.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly the biggest issues against it are the middling support of the series and how firey reptiles are :4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard: in a fairly saturated market.
Bowser Jr. may be a fiery reptile in the Mario series... but he isn't one in Smash. He is a mecha fighter, not a fiery reptile like Bowser and Charizard are.

You know what is a saturated market? I will give you a hint. :4miisword:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Bowser Jr. may be a fiery reptile in the Mario series... but he isn't one in Smash. He is a mecha fighter, not a fiery reptile like Bowser and Charizard are.

You know what is a saturated market? I will give you a hint. :4miisword:
This argument again? You know one could argue there are too many fighters that use their fists, but give them a sword and god forbid...

But do you know what we do need?
Moar riders!! (Wolf Link & Midna 4 Smash :p)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This argument again? You know one could argue there are too many fighters that use their fists, but give them a sword and god forbid...
You are missing the point in my post.

He said Smash is saturated with too many fiery reptiles :4charizard::4bowser::4bowserjr:

I told him that :4bowserjr: is not a fiery reptile in Smash because he is a mecha fighter. Therefore we only have two fiery reptiles.

I pointed out that we do have many swordfighters.

I guess we have too many fiery reptiles and too few swordfighters?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
You are missing the point in my post.

He said Smash is saturated with too many fiery reptiles :4charizard::4bowser::4bowserjr:

I told him that :4bowserjr: is not a fiery reptile in Smash because he is a mecha fighter. Therefore we only have two fiery reptiles.

I pointed out that we do have many swordfighters.

I guess we have too many fiery reptiles and too few swordfighters?
It's just an argument I'm sick of hearing, what difference does it make if they use a sword? As long as they bring something new to the table...Shulk gets a lot of hate because of this even though he's one of the more unique fighters...

Also if anything we need more fire breathing reptiles, not that I'm going to name anyone specifically...*cough* Ridley *cough*...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In terms of a fighter's species. We have plenty of humans, and animals (unless you want a specific kind of animal). We have the one of a kind species in :4wiifit::4pacman::4olimar::4miibrawl::4kirby::4gaw:and:4dedede:. And then there is a goddess, two angels, and two robots, a monkey, an ape, and a bunch of Koopas. A God/Goddes would be cool, but the only ones (that I know of) are from Kid Iccarus, and I don't think the franchise will get another character (possible but unlikely.), and the other one that I know about is a major spoiler, so he/she/it automatically wouldn't get in. As fo-........I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT AMATERASU!!!!!!!! So yeah, she would be awesome. Anyways, as for angels, I think we are good in that area, but if we got another one it would be..........um....I think Dante counts. We need some robots, but the only ones I can think of that are likely are Chibi-Robo. other robots that would be cool in smash are: X, Zero, Pharaoh Man (Except that his inclusion would most likely revive a meme), Proto Man, Bass...you get the point. We don't have any Draconians, Kobolds, Minataurs, or anything of the sort, as these races don't really get any attention outside of being common enemies in online games....kind of a shame really. We don't really have a demon, but the only one I can think of is Dante. So yeah, that's pretty much it.

Burruni

Smash Hero
In terms of a fighter's species. We have plenty of humans, and animals (unless you want a specific kind of animal). We have the one of a kind species in :4wiifit::4pacman::4olimar::4miibrawl::4kirby::4gaw:and:4dedede:. And then there is a goddess, two angels, and two robots, a monkey, an ape, and a bunch of Koopas. A God/Goddes would be cool, but the only ones (that I know of) are from Kid Iccarus, and I don't think the franchise will get another character (possible but unlikely.), and the other one that I know about is a major spoiler, so he/she/it automatically wouldn't get in. As fo-........I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT AMATERASU!!!!!!!! So yeah, she would be awesome. Anyways, as for angels, I think we are good in that area, but if we got another one it would be..........um....I think Dante counts. We need some robots, but the only ones I can think of that are likely are Chibi-Robo. other robots that would be cool in smash are: X, Zero, Pharaoh Man (Except that his inclusion would most likely revive a meme), Proto Man, Bass...you get the point. We don't have any Draconians, Kobolds, Minataurs, or anything of the sort, as these races don't really get any attention outside of being common enemies in online games....kind of a shame really. We don't really have a demon, but the only one I can think of is Dante. So yeah, that's pretty much it.
:4megaman::4rob: two robots :4bowserjr:Mech fighter :4gaw: artificial entity :4fox::4falco: cyborgs :4mewtwo: clone. The techy side of things is pretty well kept.

"Draconians, Kobolds, Minotaurs." Name iconic ones of these entities in Nintendo history...

:4ganondorf: THE DEMON KING.
:4darkpit: Fallen Angel, and if SMT is anything to go by that's close enough to a Demon.
:4wario2: Goblin Mario
:4jigglypuff: Evil incarnate

Let a character get in off their merits, not to fit in some silly niche. Because niches can justify just about anything.

Bandana Dee because spears are completely absent despite being one of the most common base weapon types for games.

Inklngs because we have no tentacular fighters outside of :4gaw:'s final smash.

Isaac because we don't have a geomancer.

Ganon because we have no pigs.

Shantae because we have no djinn (though Isaac could use them in his moveset)

Toad because we have no fungi fighters.

So on and so forth.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
:4megaman::4rob: two robots :4bowserjr:Mech fighter :4gaw: artificial entity :4fox::4falco: cyborg :4mewtwo: clone. The techy side of things is pretty well kept.

"Draconians, Kobolds, Minotaurs." Name iconic ones of these entities in Nintendo history...

:4darkpit: Fallen Angel, and if SMT is anything to go by that's close enough to a Demon.

Let a character get in off their merits, not to fit in some silly niche. Because niches can justify just about anything.

Bandana Dee because spears are completely absent despite being one of the most common base weapon types for games.

Inklngs because we have no tentacular fighters outside of :4gaw:'s final smash.

Isaac because we don't have a geomancer.

Ganon because we have no pigs.

Shantae because we have no djinn (though Isaac could use them in his moveset)

Toad because we have no fungi fighters.

So on and so forth.
Pidgey because we have no small bird.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
:4megaman::4rob: two robots :4bowserjr:Mech fighter :4gaw: artificial entity :4fox::4falco: cyborgs :4mewtwo: clone. The techy side of things is pretty well kept.
One question. SINCE WHEN WERE FOX AND FALCO CYBORGS!
We don't have any Draconians, Kobolds, Minataurs, or anything of the sort, as these races don't really get any attention outside of being common enemies in online games....kind of a shame really.
Your Demon King is human. (in this form anyway).
Not sure what SMT is but Dark Pit is a dark clone of an angel, not a fallen angel. (Although I tend to put creative twists on mythical creatures so if they could be the same thing.)
Since when was Wario a goblin?
As for Jigglypuff, I think the Devil's Supreme Lord is more like it. :awesome:
I know. It was more of an observation than anything else.

Burruni

Smash Hero
One question. SINCE WHEN WERE FOX AND FALCO CYBORGS!

Your Demon King is human. (in this form anyway).
Not sure what SMT is but Dark Pit is a dark clone of an angel, not a fallen angel. (Although I tend to put creative twists on mythical creatures so if they could be the same thing.)
Since when was Wario a goblin?
As for Jigglypuff, I think the Devil's Supreme Lord is more like it. :awesome:

I know. It was more of an observation than anything else.
All Star Fox universe pilots are cyborgs. They have their legs amputated and replaced with robotic prostetics so that their bloodflow isn't entirely screwed by G-Forces. That's been a thing since the manual of the SNES game.

Shin Megami Tensei, niche but very popular rpg series that started back on the NES, last game came out on the 3DS. Y'know... SMT x FE?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom