• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Me: Let's see if Spirit Train would be tournament legal. (The explosion from a Dark Train ignores my shield, killing me, and blows all the cars behind the Spirit Train, killing my opponent.) ................................................Nope.
EDIT: That was kind of off topic. Sorry.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Why would Nintendo reveal Ryu at E3 if Street Fighter V will likely have a huge presence at the event? Remember, Street Fighter V ISN'T coming out on Wii U, so Nintendo would be stupid as hell to reveal Ryu and literally directly promote the competition.

Ikenna Ezechukwu

Smash Rookie
Miiverse stage, huh? Well, I won't be greatly impressed unless I see people squidposting from Splatoon Miiverse. I don't think I would be able to fight properly with those memes in the background. Squids in human clothing, heh.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Why would Nintendo reveal Ryu at E3 if Street Fighter V will likely have a huge presence at the event? Remember, Street Fighter V ISN'T coming out on Wii U, so Nintendo would be stupid as hell to reveal Ryu and literally directly promote the competition.
Snake's inclusion was announced the same time that Metal Gear Solid 4 was shown at E3, a game of which didn't appear at all on the Wii (and got a few trophies to boot). E3 is the best place to show Ryu because he's a popular and notable third party character that should surely garner attention from gamers, and E3 is the biggest event that they follow. You want to do it big with a character like Ryu, they're not going to miss this opportunity to showcase a huge character for their DLC.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Because Ryu in Smash would still be the biggest reveal that they could do.
Street Fighter V, spoiler alert, won't have a "huge prescence" over multiple days most likely.
Nintendo can reveal the Smash DLC news when they truly wish because it'll be mostly done in just a trailer or two. For god's sake they revealed :4pacman: in the middle of the night at a press-only event.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah Ryu is disgusting.
You know what's disgusting?

Hating any third parties because they aren't Nintendo or cartoony. Acting like a company has to ride Nintendo's metaphorical **** 100% of the time to be worthwhile.

Grow up. Comments like this are why people look down on Nintendo fans.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm not a fan of Street Fighter and even less of kung-fu man as a character.
And I still don't see where the Ryu hate is coming from.

But that's just how I am. If you can justify a character and give me a reasonable explanation for why they would be included they get my approval. This is how I came to like Wii Fit Trainer. Aside from being a hilarious WTF addition she's also from what is technically one of Nintendo's most successful endeavors, so nobody can argue it's unwarranted.

Same with Ryu. I'm very intrigued by how he'll play, and he also proves we're getting more than just the obvious DLC, and that should be regarded as a good thing by pretty much everyone.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ryu hate? I dislike him, but am still curious to his moveset, Hadouken, Shoryuken and Tatsumaki Senpuupkyaku are obvious, but what's going to be a Down B? And are wer getting Shin Shoryuken or Shinku Hadouken? Besides, my main grudge is how Capcom gets 2 while Namco and SEGA most likely won't and we didn't get a Capcom character of my preference

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ryu hate? I dislike him, but am still curious to his moveset, Hadouken, Shoryuken and Tatsumaki Senpuupkyaku are obvious, but what's going to be a Down B? And are wer getting Shin Shoryuken or Shinku Hadouken? Besides, my main grudge is how Capcom gets 2 while Namco and SEGA most likely won't and we didn't get a Capcom character of my preference
I wanted Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins. :(

I also wanted Tails and Knuckles just to have the playable characters from the Genesis games.

Not sure about Namco... I guess Heihachi from Tekken series and Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia will do...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Y'know, we've done stages and characters that we want, should we also do music?
Hard to talk about most wanted music, too many to list.

Besides, my main grudge is how Capcom gets 2 while Namco and SEGA most likely won't and we didn't get a Capcom character of my preference
I can't think of a second Sega or Namco character that's nearly as warranted as a large number of Capcom characters...
If Namco gets a second character though, this is who it should be:

As for Capcom...I don't think I have to mention which one I would've wanted at this point, do I?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hard to talk about most wanted music, too many to list.

I can't think of a second Sega or Namco character that's nearly as warranted as a large number of Capcom characters...
If Namco gets a second character though, this is who it should be:

As for Capcom...I don't think I have to mention which one I would've wanted at this point, do I?
By music I meant that we get a row of franchises and add tracks we want
I've had the Katamari theme in my head for a while recently

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ryu is hated? I guess people don't like the Capcom bias, but he is a star in his own right.

I would have easily taken Phoenix Wright over Ryu, but I don't mind him either.

:231:

I originally disliked the idea of Ryu being in Smash, but now I'm okay with it, as he is a gaming icon like other third-parties in Smash and he would be an unique fighter. However, I still somewhat dislike the idea of Roy returning, as we already have four FE reps, one of which is already clone of Marth (though I understand why he was chosen pre-ballot, as he is a popular veteran character, especially in Japan, and I prefer him over Lucina).

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The only correct Namco character is Susumu Hori.

Nah, I'm jestin'. Not sure how I'd feel about a Tekken character (although I am a huge fan of the series), and Lloyd Irving would be hype as ****. :3

Burruni

Smash Hero
I agree, if Namco gets a second rep, it should represent Bandai, and Agumon is perfect for that.
From Bandai
90s Rival to Pokemon, like Sonic to Mario
Was/Still is pretty damn iconic
Started as Virtual Pets, a very basic form of gaming
Adventure 03 makes him relevant
I OWN 3 Nintendo exclusive Digimon games
WarGreymon Nova Flare final smash.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You know what's disgusting?

Hating any third parties because they aren't Nintendo or cartoony. Acting like a company has to ride Nintendo's metaphorical **** 100% of the time to be worthwhile.

Grow up. Comments like this are why people look down on Nintendo fans.
Ummmm, you do realize this is a NINTENDO fighting game correct. You comment is the problem with Smash fans in the moment. "Any character can be in Smash." No, maybe they shouldn't.

From Bandai
90s Rival to Pokemon, like Sonic to Mario
Was/Still is pretty damn iconic
Started as Virtual Pets, a very basic form of gaming
Adventure 03 makes him relevant
I OWN 3 Nintendo exclusive Digimon games
WarGreymon Nova Flare final smash.
This.

I'm little biased towards Agumon, as Digimon was my favorite show when I was a child, despite fact that the dubbing of Adventure in my country was REALLY horrible, though I didn't even pay attention to it as a child.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ummmm, you do realize this is a NINTENDO fighting game correct. You comment is the problem with Smash fans in the moment. "Any character can be in Smash." No, maybe they shouldn't.
You kinda misinterpreted everything he just said.

:3

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Smashboards teaches you things. Like Digimon was made by Namco. Which is awesome.
We're talking Namco but not Pac-Man's Ghost Gang?
Assist Trophy! Disconfirmed! :p
I think the only Namco characters we could get (That I know of) are Klonoa (probably butchered the spelling on that one), DigDug, and Agumon.
That's a funny way of spelling Galaga. :3
I'm not sure how that would work though.
EDIT: Dang it! I forgot Lloyd.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Honestly, Ryu more confused me than anything else. His request rate was always fairly low and after Mega Man got in he was almost unheard of in the request community. Considering he's far more iconic than most of the alternatives, fits with Smash 4's arcade subtheme (wireframe Mac and Pac-Man), and is in Worlds Unite, I regained composure after finding out about the Royu leak fairly quickly.

I'm pretty much neutral to him.

He does open the door for Tails slightly, though, so if the data gets used then I'm hype for that possibility.

(don't judge me, Tails is my childhood)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I didn't dislike him, I just didn't see him happening when Sakurai said he didn't want any fighting characters in the game. Though the possibility of a company of getting a second character was still very open to me.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Smashboards teaches you things. Like Digimon was made by Namco. Which is awesome.

Assist Trophy! Disconfirmed! :p
I think the only Namco characters we could get (That I know of) are Klonoa (probably butchered the spelling on that one), DigDug, and Agumon.

I'm not sure how that would work though.
Hmm Dig Dug? That's actually a really good choice. Still though, Agumon FTW(I've watched the first four seasons of Digimon). Although does Agumon count as a video game character? The show was much more popular than the games. Although the games may have come first, I just can't remember.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Honestly, Ryu more confused me than anything else. His request rate was always fairly low and after Mega Man got in he was almost unheard of in the request community. Considering he's far more iconic than most of the alternatives, fits with Smash 4's arcade subtheme (wireframe Mac and Pac-Man), and is in Worlds Unite, I regained composure after finding out about the Royu leak fairly quickly.

I'm pretty much neutral to him.

He does open the door for Tails slightly, though, so if the data gets used then I'm hype for that possibility.

(don't judge me, Tails is my childhood)
Ryu does absolutely nothing for Tails. The fact that two of Capcoms franchises might get some representation implies a sum total of nothing about whether or not SEGA have a chance of a 2nd Sonic character.

D

Deleted member

I like Ryu, but unless his inclusion is meant to advertise a Wii U/3DS-exclusive Street Fighter game or a "Nintendo vs. Capcom" crossover, he doesn't really have any apparent reason to be in Smash aside from his iconic status. On the other hand, every other third party character featured so far had that merit going for them and then some.
  • Sonic and Mega Man were both highly requested for Brawl and Smash 4, respectively. The former character managed to return in Smash 4 presumably for the sake of promoting Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom, both of which were exclusive to Wii U and 3DS thanks to that contract with Nintendo and Sega.
  • Snake was in Brawl due to Metal Gear series creator and Sakurai's best friend Kojima's personal request.
  • Pac-Man was in Smash 4 due to Namco's involvement as a co-developer, and...well, he is their mascot.
Ryu seemingly came out of nowhere. :4lucas:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I like Ryu, but unless his inclusion is meant to advertise a Wii U/3DS-exclusive Street Fighter game or a "Nintendo vs. Capcom" crossover, he doesn't really have any apparent reason to be in Smash aside from his iconic status. On the other hand, every other third party character featured so far had that merit going for them and then some.
  • Sonic and Mega Man were both highly requested for Brawl and Smash 4, respectively. The former character managed to return in Smash 4 presumably for the sake of promoting Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom, both of which were exclusive to Wii U and 3DS thanks to that contract with Nintendo and Sega.
  • Snake was in Brawl due to Metal Gear series creator and Sakurai's best friend Kojima's personal request.
  • Pac-Man was in Smash 4 due to Namco's involvement as a co-developer, and...well, he is their mascot.
Project X Zone 2 ? 'u'

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
my main grudge is how Capcom gets 2 while Namco and SEGA most likely won't and we didn't get a Capcom character of my preference

That's mostly because Namco has a great few characters to work with I doubt they'll be the main focus but Sega has nothing but Sonic and Sega's pool of franchises is deep but not even good enough to be on Smash with :4sonic:. Sega Smash Bros is the best way to go for that.

There's a reason why:
Ryu could have been an big choice for a lot of people to push the problem was this; Sakurai stated in the one of his interviews that he wasn't interested in adding any fighting game characters because he wanted to make characters who wouldn't ever be in a fighting game get in Smash Bros. Which fans took up as thing that said "NO FIGHTING GAME CHARACTERS ALLOWED" so Ryu was given 0 chance. But considering Sakurai goes back and contradicts his statements a lot (see :4villager:) to add some characters (:4littlemac: is technically from a fighting game and so that rule is broken beyond anything) plus Capcom came first with :4megaman: and Ono (the head producer of the SF series) was always hyped on idea of his characters in Smash so it's not like an out of nowhere thing. It's just shocking because Sakurai went back on his statement and went with a character that no one thought would have a shot.

I love Street Fighter and while I'm not big on Ryu, I still like the guy and he's the face of FIGHTING GAMES; you know the genre Smash is placed in. Keeping him out was like keeping :4pacman: out.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Credentials for Ryu?

Gaming Icon
Series defined the genre
Series is still high-profile
Series was one of the first major cases of competitive 2 player modes in gaming beyond claiming more points than someone else.
His series has had a number of titles on Nintendo consoles (latest on 3DS)
His company already got a fighter in so there's no extra leaps for contracts and credits work

Is he a character associated with another console more than Nintendo? Yes. But that didn't stop :snake: and :4sonic::4megaman:&:4pacman: have plenty of a library on other consoles.

Is he a character of a subsect that Sakurai has said he didn't have much interest in by themselves? Yes. But it's not ANY fighting game character, it's THE fighting game character.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think the SNES having Street Fighter II pretty much validates Ryu as being associated with Nintendo. Definitely moreso than Snake and Pac-Man.

I'm curious about Ryu, but I'm not jumping up and down to play as him. He had bad "bland main character" syndrome going on.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Sorry @ CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia I'm gonna use your stuff for a quick minute

I think the SNES having Street Fighter II pretty much validates Ryu as being associated with Nintendo. Definitely moreso than Snake and Pac-Man.

This picture alone does it for you
image.jpg

And don't make bring up the Top 10 Sales because Street Fighter 2 Turbo sits there at #8

When you beat out sales of franchises like :4link:,:4samus:,:4kirby:, :4fox:, :4falcon: and hit the top 5 charts, that alone deserves recognition. Plus rest of the games in the series never got that close on any platform.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom