• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Drat, it always got to come with recency! That's why we had Rosie Lina over Kawaii Toad and Dororo over Fiona Fox.
...Help me out here.

I get RosaLuma over toad.
Who the fudge are Dororo and Fiona Fox meant to be

Edit:
but isnt rusty. .

I mean. . . but. . . Rusty is a dog :confused:
......I thought it was a cat. He has a very Garfield look to him. ALSO SINCE WHEN ARE DOGS DRAWN WITH WHISKERS

Last edited:
retconned and to my knowledge it was never like that in japan. that was added in westernization. Just like how there wa an ending added to Kid Icarus that made it seem like Pit and Palutena were in love, ^that^ isn't canon.

This "too new" thing make me wonder. if Wonder Red was as popular as inklings (why cant I have both :() I wonder if people would use the same argument for him.

Burruni

Smash Hero
retconned and to my knowledge it was never like that in japan. that was added in westernization. Just like how there wa an ending added to Kid Icarus that made it seem like Pit and Palutena were in love, ^that^ isn't canon.

This "too new" thing make me wonder. if Wonder Red was as popular as inklings (why cant I have both :() I wonder if people would use the same argument for him.
No, because his game came out before Smash 4 was in development.
If it came out around the same time as Splatoon with the same tier of popularity, they'd cry THIRD PARTY and TOO RECENT

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
No, because his game came out before Smash 4 was in development.
If it came out around the same time as Splatoon with the same tier of popularity, they'd cry THIRD PARTY and TOO RECENT
but

he's first-party

wonder red is our hero

he died for your sins

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
...Help me out here.

I get RosaLuma over toad.
Who the fudge are Dororo and Fiona Fox meant to be

Edit:

......I thought it was a cat. He has a very Garfield look to him. ALSO SINCE WHEN ARE DOGS DRAWN WITH WHISKERS
Dororo is Greninja and Fiona Fox is Zororark. Now you get it? :p

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Yes.
That was an error of the localization team of Mario 3.
Always in Japan, and EXPRESSED BY MIYAMOTO SINCE SMB3 CAME OUT, they are not his kids.

Source: http://www.screwattack.com/news/koopalings-are-not-related-bowser

Edit: Sorry about the small size of the image. If you can read the text bubbles you'll see why I posted this.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
it really annoys me people think this is a legitimate thing. . .

PSA to anyone else who doesnt know but Wonderful 101 is nintendo owned

im pretty sure he is being facetious :p
So was I.

Hence the lower-case ranting.

Burruni

Smash Hero
but

he's first-party

wonder red is our hero

he died for your sins
Winnie, darling.
I didn't get every Wonderful One in the game to get that wrong. SCREW WONDER BABY.

Though I still constantly end up calling it the Viewtiful 101.... damn freudian slips.

Edit:

Edit: Sorry about the small size of the image. If you can read the text bubbles you'll see why I posted this.
No... I can't.
But Word of God says the Koopalings aren't Bowser's Kids. That's the most canon things can get.

Last edited:
1. cant read that
2. whatever it is they arent bowsers kids. its been outright confirmed. It was something added in the west and is not in anyway canon. no matter what other sources that arent miyamoto say.

So was I.

Hence the lower-case ranting.
yeah uhhh well. . .so was I >_>

I wasnt but let me leave with dignity

Viewtiful 101.
This is acceptable

wonder poseman though. basically confirms at as true :troll:

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
That strip from one of the Super Mario Bros comics was about the Koopalings deciding what to get Bowser for father's day. Also you guys can believe what you want but I still think there his kids. That would mean Roy Koopaling is a prince as well, being the son to Bowser.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Haters logic:
This character isn't owned by Nintendo? IT DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE IN SMASH!
This character is from the Mario or Pokémon series? IT DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE IN SMASH!
This character is canonically the same character as the one we have in smash, but would have a unique moveset? IT DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE IN SMASH!
Why can't characters create their own merits instead of their series, company, or alternate forms?

Haters logic:
This character is from the Mario or Pokémon series? IT DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE IN SMASH!
This character is canonically the same character as the one we have in smash, but would have a unique moveset? IT DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE IN SMASH!
Why can't characters create their own merits instead of their series, company, or alternate forms?
Do you realize how much I have said this? Especially the series part :p

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Koopalings were Bowser's kids in Japan too.

http://www.mariowiki.com/koopalings#cite_note-15

In the story section (pg. 4), they are called「自分の子供>コクッパ7兄弟」, and King Koopa's line (pg. 2) reads 「ワッハハ。これから俺様の息子達がこのゲームの説明をするぜ。息子達の言うことをよーく聞いてせいぜいガンバルことだな。ワッハハ。」 Note Koopa's use of 「俺様の息子たち」 (ore-sama no musuko-tachi), which equates to "my children" (or, literally, "my sons") while at the same time referring to himself in an extremely arrogant manner. The children are introduced with the phrase 「そして、これがコクッパ7兄弟だ!!」 (pg. 3). Larry (pg. 4), Morton (pg. 8) and Lemmy (pg. 34) refer to King Koopa as 「オヤジ」 (oyaji), which is both a Japanese word for "father" as well as a term of endearment.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the topic of the Koopalings, I took a look on the wiki. According to the Japanese instruction booklet, the Koopalings actually were referred to as his children with the line "ore-sama no musuko-tachi", which means "my children." In that same booklet, some of them also refer to him as their father.

Edit: And Greninja'd.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's kinda true though. Smash has always been a Nintendo crossover fighting game with some guest characters. Does Superman deserve to be in Marvel Vs. Capcom?

I don't think anybody is saying this. Just that they think Mario and Pokemon is represented just fine, or overrepresented.

Any character can have a unique moveset. It's not really enough to warrant someone's inclusion.

Why can't people be allowed their own dislike of characters?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't think we'll ever learn what the true origin of the Koopalings is. Unless the Mario series suddenly has a deep story to it.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not them but I was never fond of Meowth for mostly these reasons:

-He hasn't been relevant as a Pokemon for a long, long while.
Correct, he is currently not relevant in the Pokemon games other than Pokemon Shuffle... on the other hand, he's one of the few iconic Pokemon outside of the games not playable in Smash... and Smash is marketed as a Nintendo All-Star crossover fighting game.

It makes more sense to add a famous and recognizable Pokemon like Meowth over an obscure Pokemon like... what's its face even if they are more popular than Meowth. For example, Takamaru was the more popular retro choice yet Duck Hunt Dog (a retro choice most people here scoffed at and dismissed) got in over him because he's more famous and recognizable.

-Just because Sakurai toys with the idea, doesn't mean he wants him in as of now.
Like how he didn't change his mind on :4villager::4pacman::4mii:? Do I need to be like the Ridley fans and hope that Sakurai won't work on SSB5?

-Generation 1 has 4 Pokemon in the game and 2 that were cut, Pokemon can get more reps but we don't need any more G1 Pokes.
Yes, we don't need any more G1 Pokes but we will still get hyped over getting even one more G1 Poke newcomer anyway... and that's more important than meeting arbitrary quotas and slot numbers.

Hell, I know people will get hyped for :squirtle::ivysaur: if they were confirmed to be coming back despite the popular claims that we don't need any more G1 Pokes.

Yeah, people say they don't want Meowth but I suspect they will be hyped if he is unexpectedly confirmed. People have a tendency of wanting something they didn't know they wanted when they see it with their eyes.
-Meowth isn't popular at the moment and the :4jigglypuff: argument is moot since she got grandfathered in. There are insanely more popular Pokemon and Meowth hasn't been one since the anime and the anime has been ignoring Team Rocket since BW's Plasma vs Rocket arc.
And yet people will still get hyped for Meowth and/or Team Rocket if they are unexpectedly confirmed whether they wanted them in or not... and if there's a legitimate leak that claims Meowth and/or Team Rocket are in Smash, people will just jump on the bandwagon and claim they wanted them in all along. *cough*hipsters*cough* That's how Duck Hunt Dog and Chorus Kids suddenly became insanely popular last year.

When you say there are insanely more popular Pokemon, are you talking in the context of the Pokemon fanbase or the Smash fanbase? The Pokemon fanbase tend to flock toward competitively better Pokemon... whereas the Smash fanbase generally only wants the veteran Pokemon and maybe at least one newcomer of their choice. The newcomer is usually the most recent Pokemon the Smash fanbase will instantly support because they think it's a shoo-in like Zoroark was (and yet they couldn't agree on the 6th gen rep before Greninja was confirmed). I am waiting for the 7th gen Pokemon bandwagon to commence. Who knows? Maybe it will start at E3 2015.

Moveset was never the issue.
Good. Then hopefully more people will refrain from using the tired "not unique enough!" and "no moveset potential!" arguments against Meowth. :awesome:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Why can't people be allowed their own dislike of characters?
They can dislike the character. But I think it's silly to dislike a character because of the series, or company it belongs to.
It's kinda true though. Smash has always been a Nintendo crossover fighting game with some guest characters. Does Superman deserve to be in Marvel Vs. Capcom?
They wouldn't do that because it's called Marvel vs. Capcom. But I doubt anyone would be bent out of shape about it. except for the people who go "Muh Batman".
I don't think anybody is saying this. Just that they think Mario and Pokemon is represented just fine, or overrepresented.
you do realize that this:
Is a response to people saying that we have too many Mario or Pokémon characters. If either series took up 1/4 of the roster, than that would be a too much. But at that point we would have al the characters that matter at all, plus more. Especially in the case of Mario.
Any character can have a unique moveset. It's not really enough to warrant someone's inclusion.
I'm not saying that a moveset should determine a fighter's playability, but I am saying that you shouldn't be against Wolf Link because it's a Link, when he would essentially be a completely different character moveset wise. Now, I'm not saying everyone should love every character, but I feel like the reason shouldn't be "we already have another incarnation of this character, so any other incarnations would be a pointless inclusion that wouldn't" when it is far from the truth.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I also hope this Amiibo thing lasts for a while, seeing as how they sell like hot cakes. All its competitors like the Disney ones and the Skylander things aren't as impressive, at least to me.

StormC

Smash Hero
As do I.

I feel he's got good chances for Smash 5 if enough people support him.
This. We've seen complete turnarounds from No Hopers just because of one recent game (Little Mac, Palutena).

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The new Chibi-Robo game comes off as an excuse to make Chibi-Robo seem like a plausible fighter for Smash to me for some reason.

It's also funny that it's been announced a little while after Konami kind of killed itself and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night was funded. Chibi-Robo confirmed to be the next Belmont relative / Bionic Commando.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I'm glad to see Splatoon doing well out the gate and the only games that has beaten it in terms of 1st week sales are Smash, NSMBU and MK8 but that is to be expected of Smash and the Mario franchise. Splatoon may have cemented it's spot as a IP and we might see the Inkling as a character 7-8 years from now in Smash. Does anyone else get a 90s Nick vibe off of Splatoon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom