• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You mean Codename: STEAM aka I won't buy this because it wasn't Majora's Mask 3D or Advance Wars. Hell some people are making garbage comparisons with it and Splatoon and especially those stupid fanboys who hated Steam's art style but praised Splatoon like it was innovative.
Steampunk is a taste that has 'you love it or hate it' where as Splatoon is cartoony, an artstyle Nintendo's good with. Besides, W101 is better imo because although S.T.E.A.M looks decent, it's just a poor man's FE in my eyes outside of the steam gimmick

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Steampunk is a taste that has 'you love it or hate it' where as Splatoon is cartoony, an artstyle Nintendo's good with. Besides, W101 is better imo because although S.T.E.A.M looks decent, it's just a poor man's FE in my eyes outside of the steam gimmick

I agree but you had to admit the game got a lot unwanted hell. I mean for god sakes the game is faster now.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So Splatoon is selling well? No surprise there since plenty of people were willing to buy it despite the lack of "muh voice chat" and having less content than the recent Call of Duties. You would be surprised at the number of Nintnedo fans going bat**** over IGN's 7.9 review since they are not allowed to include DLC at all.

In other news, I'm going to get a promotion to own another character thread since there's something bit coming soon for Miss Ayumi that might make or break her support in the ballot.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The only thing really similar between STEAM and FE is that they're strategy genre games, story, mechanics, character, and implementation-wise, they're quite different beasts.

Doesn't really matter though, it, W101, and many other IPs have fallen unfairly under the radar, which partly falls on Nintendo for not promoting them well. With Splatoon, thank Ashera that Nintendo promoted the hell out of that game.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
After looking at Blazblue, I'd like the Postprandial Happy -Lost Town- to be a stage if we get a rep from the series. Ragna's the obvious choice but I like Taokaka
So another top tier animalistic fighter to take Diddy Kong's former throne? Sweet! :awesome:

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So another top tier animalistic fighter to take Diddy Kong's former throne? Sweet! :awesome:
We need more cat characters especially Catgirls

The only thing really similar between STEAM and FE is that they're strategy genre games, story, mechanics, character, and implementation-wise, they're quite different beasts.

Doesn't really matter though, it, W101, and many other IPs have fallen unfairly under the radar, which partly falls on Nintendo for not promoting them well. With Splatoon, thank Ashera that Nintendo promoted the hell out of that game.
I'm not too high on Splatoon but I will commend Nintendo to actually give a **** and advertise a new franchise. I just wish W101, STEAM and others got that same support especially W101.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Judging from the one video I've seen with her she'd be the wackiest character yet. That's good, we don't have that much wacky highjinks yet iirc
Tao is fast. Absurdly fast. Her entire fighting style is based on hurling her entire body like a giant fluffy missile, occasionally throwing in a few close-range slashes. She does have a variable projectile move that can be aimed at different angles, but it's more of an extra tool in her arsenal rather than something essential to her moveset. It's really about rammin' and slammin' and never, ever stopping.

She could translate well into Smash, I reckon: imagine a cross between Sonic and Lucina and you'll have a rough idea of how she'd work.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
If only Sakurai could talk with Cashcom to add Felicia from Darkstalkers as third Capcom rep. I already can imagine all the rage over her stealing Morrigan's "slot".

Felicia>Morrigan
It's always been like that. No if, ands or

Time for top-tier Tao!

The Squirrel is more better.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If only Sakurai could talk with Cashcom to add Felicia from Darkstalkers as third Capcom rep. I already can imagine all the rage over her stealing Morrigan's "slot".
Felicia? Um. How about. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (Sorry, I just hate Felicia's design, and I avoid fighting with or against her in MVC whenever possible.)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sure as hell hope so. He's the Pokemon rep we deserve, but not the one we need right now.
Him and Toad both deserve it since they were All Stars that were abandoned long enough. I hope the game Captain Toad will be enough for Sakurai to relealize that fun-guy is fully distinct from the other members of his race and reconsider him for the future.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Judging from the one video I've seen with her she'd be the wackiest character yet. That's good, we don't have that much wacky highjinks yet iirc
Define wacky? I mean I think a lot of the Smashers aren't too 'normal': We got Dedede, Wario, Yoshi, Villager, Duck Hunt, Pac-Man...

Him and Toad both deserve it since they were All Stars that were abandoned long enough. I hope the game Captain Toad will be enough for Sakurai to relealize that fun-guy is fully distinct from the other members of his race and reconsider him for the future.
Real talk; I would sacrifice a good 33% of the roster for both Captain Toad and Meowth. Hell, I'd sacrifice the other three in my sig for Meowth. He's not even my favourite Pokemon, but he's undeniably a big name Nintendo star due to the anime(like most of the other Pokemon characters in Smash)

Unfortunately Pokeball inclusion puts me off voting for the scratchcat...maybe I should to try in vain to get them to add a Pokemon all star next time rather than a seemingly randomly plucked Pokemon of the moment again.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Define wacky? I mean I think a lot of the Smashers aren't too 'normal': We got Dedede, Wario, Yoshi, Villager, Duck Hunt, Pac-Man...

Real talk; I would sacrifice a good 33% of the roster for both Captain Toad and Meowth. Hell, I'd sacrifice the other three in my sig for Meowth. He's not even my favourite Pokemon, but he's undeniably a big name Nintendo star due to the anime(like most of the other Pokemon characters in Smash)

Unfortunately Pokeball inclusion puts me off voting for the scratchcat...maybe I should to try in vain to get them to add a Pokemon all star next time rather than a seemingly randomly plucked Pokemon again.
Chaotic would be the word, Wario's the only one who applies

StormC

Smash Hero
The thing is though, when was the last time Meowth stayed relevant to the actual games or other media like the manga? I don't think he's ever held an important role in any of the main games or the spin-offs besides arguably being a recurring boss in Pokemon Yellow. The closest thing I can think of is the Meowth's Party tech demo. Meanwhile guys like Pikachu, Charizard and Lucario keep being prominent in the games.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The thing is though, when was the last time Meowth stayed relevant to the actual games or other media like the manga? I don't think he's ever held an important role in any of the main games or the spin-offs besides arguably being a recurring boss in Pokemon Yellow. The closest thing I can think of is the Meowth's Party tech demo. Meanwhile guys like Pikachu, Charizard and Lucario keep being prominent in the games.
This is the main concern. He was one of the Pokemon you could originally turn into in the original Mystery Dungeon, the shop keep in both Pokeparks and a pretty easy boss in the craptacular Pokemon Dash, but alas that's it.

However, let's be honest; the anime clearly has a large role in who gets in. Charizard X and Mewtwo Y were chosen over their counterparts due to anime reasons most likely, Puff and Pichu would never have got in if not for their anime popularity, and Lucario had a whole movie dedicated to him. That probably had a major impact.

Meowth needs either a new evolution or a new mega evolution. That's about the only way he's going to be important again in the games.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
inb4 @ Arcadenik Arcadenik brings up meowth for the feline fighter
Well, yes. Meowth is the Scratch Cat Pokemon so Meowth's speciality is scratching and claw-based moves.

This could be Meowth's A+A+A move.

This could be Meowth's up throw move.

This could be Meowth's forward throw move.

This could be Meowth's back throw move.

Meowth could cling to the wall and jump off the wall like this.

Meowth could do a combo similar to Felicia's combo below... A+A+A then Side+A then Up+A then Up+B (Fury Swipes)

This could be Meowth's Down+B move (Feint Attack) where Meowth flip jumps and then pounces on the opponent.

This could be Meowth's down+A move where Meowth does a Cat Kick (a move from the Pokemon trading card game).

This could be Meowth's aerial down+A move after using Down+B.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
This is the main concern. He was one of the Pokemon you could originally turn into in the original Mystery Dungeon, the shop keep in both Pokeparks and a pretty easy boss in the craptacular Pokemon Dash, but alas that's it.

However, let's be honest; the anime clearly has a large role in who gets in. Charizard X and Mewtwo Y were chosen over their counterparts due to anime reasons most likely, Puff and Pichu would never have got in if not for their anime popularity, and Lucario had a whole movie dedicated to him. That probably had a major impact.

Meowth needs either a new evolution or a new mega evolution. That's about the only way he's going to be important again in the games.
A minor nitpick here, but I honestly doubt the anime had any influence on Charizard X's inclusion. His first appearance wasn't until late 2013 right before the game came out, and considering that fellow Pokémon Greninja didn't debut until around that time and we know for certain he wasn't chosen for popularity or the anime, X was likely put into Smash for different reasons. Mewtwo Y was probably the anime, though it's more due to prominence (it's marketed in and outside of the movie) rather then the anime's incarnation on its own considering how disliked the Genesect movie is.

Nonetheless, I'd best describe the case with Pokémon like this: The anime is something that gets your foot in the door, it shows that you're popular and prominent and at least get the consideration of Sakurai. However, just because that foot's in the door doesn't mean you're going through, Pichu definitely wouldn't have been in if it wasn't for being an easy clone, PT's Pokémon (excluding maybe Charizard) owe little to the anime and were likely chosen because they were a classic trio and worked well with the mechanic, hell, even Lucario may've been excluded if they couldn't have gotten his mechanic to work. I think with Meowth, something about the character didn't click with Sakurai. Maybe it's because he lacks prominence outside of the anime, his moveset potential doesn't catch his eye, who really knows, but whatever the reason is, that's causing the cat to miss the boat constantly.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Any comments on my Meowth post above with the gifs?

Also, the Meowth detractors really need to clarify just what's NOT unique about Meowth and how Meowth lacks moveset potential in some way... because every time I suggest different moveset ideas... I am met with "not unique enough!" and "no moveset potential!"... like what are they looking for in Meowth's hypothetical moveset? :confused:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Any comments on my Meowth post above with the gifs?

Also, the Meowth detractors really need to clarify just what's NOT unique about Meowth and how Meowth lacks moveset potential in some way... because every time I suggest different moveset ideas... I am met with "not unique enough!" and "no moveset potential!"... like what are they looking for in Meowth's hypothetical moveset? :confused:
Not them but I was never fond of Meowth for mostly these reasons:

-He hasn't been relevant as a Pokemon for a long, long while.

-Just because Sakurai toys with the idea, doesn't mean he wants him in as of now.

-Generation 1 has 4 Pokemon in the game and 2 that were cut, Pokemon can get more reps but we don't need any more G1 Pokes.

-Meowth isn't popular at the moment and the :4jigglypuff: argument is moot since she got grandfathered in. There are insanely more popular Pokemon and Meowth hasn't been one since the anime and the anime has been ignoring Team Rocket since BW's Plasma vs Rocket arc.

Moveset was never the issue.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think they're both Prince Roys.
Well a) The koopalings are not Kin to Bowser himself. b) He's.... at least 4th in line :4bowserjr:,:4ludwig:, :4morton: ahead of him in terms of the hierarchy of the heirs.

:roypm: is a prince who predominantly so across his main game and small cameo in the epilogue of FE7.
It at least fits Roy more.

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, I think the fact that no matter what you suggest, people don't find Meowth interesting as a fighter, is the main takeaway.

I'm pretty indifferent. A cat fighter could be interesting, but not enough for me to jump up and down for him to be added to the game. There aren't any Pokemon at this point that I feel warrant being added, outside of "they'd be neat as a fighter," which applies to many Pokemon and characters. I'd like Gengar because he has a unique build and typing as a Pokemon fighter, and is a popular, longstanding Pokemon in addition to being in Pokken, but I don't think I'm owed him by any means.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Talking about Darkstalkers, imagine if Demitri and his Midnight Bliss were added to Smash.
Female Mario? Me gusta!

Female Kirby? Meh.

Female Game & Watch? What the ****?

Female Wario? My eyes!

Female Link? Hell yes!

Female Pikachu? Cute..

Female Ganondorf? It buuuuuuuuurrrrrnnnnsss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom