• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Obviously we'll get more games, but we don't know the nature of those games or the characters in them yet. So there is pretty much nothing to discuss whereas If gives us something more tangible.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
4 games in 6 years when the series was going average to mediocre. Awakening suddenly revived the franchise, IF is certainly going to have high sales like Awakening and it's obvious they'd make more, FE is considered one of Nintendo's main franchises in Japan like Metroid here
Of course If is going to do well. The problem is, its so soon that likely by the time the next Smash is out, we'll have 2-3 more FE games that feature totally different protagonists. If is not looking like a game that'll be easy to expand on due to not one, not two, but THREE different storylines already set in the same universe and setting.

So what do you guys think of the chances are of Wolf being revealed at E3? I honestly was pretty confident that was going to happen until the Royu leak.
Almost guaranteed, like 90-95% I'd estimate.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm thinking Wolf will be saved for a later Direct right before Star Fox U is released.

Anyone besides Ryu and maybe Roy being announced at E3 would surprise me... but it wouldn't be the first time.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm thinking Wolf will be saved for a later Direct right before Star Fox U is released.
Same here. As much as I would love to see Wolf again as soon as possible. (He was one of my mains in Brawl after all) I have the feeling they will probably be saving him up until a Nintendo Direct nearer to Starfox Wii U's release.

They might even do a Splatoon type deal with him too as you can get a free download code if you pre-order Starfox Wii U and be able to obtain Wolf a bit earlier.... That's just me though....

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The whole reason I brought up Kamui is because someone said he/she'd be in Smash 5. As in, the next smash.
Well, I say it's possible since we still have the Smash Ballot going. And since If releases in Summer with the Smash Ballot ending in October/November(can't remember exactly), I would say that Kamui has a bit of a chance even if he doesn't appear for Smash 4 DLC, since IIRC, the JP poll stated about how the votes would also affect Smash in the future. And plus, Kamui does have the whole dragon deal with him, including partial transformation. So he isn't just your average Lord with a magic sword.
But that being said, there will be plenty of time before the next Smash, so Kamui would still have to compete with newer Fire Emblem characters and there's no telling what will be in store for future Fire Emblem games and characters. But like I said, the Smash Ballot is still going, not to mention Fire Emblem If releases 4-5 months before the Ballot ends. And if Kamui ends up getting a lot of votes, even if he doesn't become a character for Smash 4 DLC, a good amount of votes may still have the developers give a look at him for future titles.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, I say it's possible since we still have the Smash Ballot going. And since If releases in Summer with the Smash Ballot ending in October/November(can't remember exactly), I would say that Kamui has a bit of a chance even if he doesn't appear for Smash 4 DLC, since IIRC, the JP poll stated about how the votes would also affect Smash in the future. And plus, Kamui does have the whole dragon deal with him, including partial transformation. So he isn't just your average Lord with a magic sword.
But that being said, there will be plenty of time before the next Smash, so Kamui would still have to compete with newer Fire Emblem characters and there's no telling what will be in store for future Fire Emblem games and characters. But like I said, the Smash Ballot is still going, not to mention Fire Emblem If releases 4-5 months before the Ballot ends. And if Kamui ends up getting a lot of votes, even if he doesn't become a character for Smash 4 DLC, a good amount of votes may still have the developers give a look at him for future titles.
At least you're honest and a realist. I like that. By the way, about the 'Not a Lord with a sword' stuff. Kamui's class is Dark Prince/Princess, not Lord

Ivander

Smash Legend
At least you're honest and a realist. I like that. By the way, about the 'Not a Lord with a sword' stuff. Kamui's class is Dark Prince/Princess, not Lord
Well, he is a "Lord-type" character which is mostly was I was aiming for. Also, Kamui's class isn't entirely unique to him.
Julius from FE4 was also a Dark Prince(Julius colors for Kamui! Red hair with black and gold armor).
Also, I'm honest and realist mostly because I'm one of those people who doesn't really care what characters they choose(Almost. Zeus in PSAll-Stars is still stupid.), as I still tend to have a lot of fun with them. Heck, despite wanting Robin more, I would've been fine with Chrom if he ended up being the FE character. But I was still happy when I saw Robin and Lucina.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, he is a "Lord-type" character which is mostly was I was aiming for. Also, Kamui's class isn't entirely unique to him.
Julius from FE4 was also a Dark Prince(Julius colors for Kamui! Red hair with black and gold armor).
Also, I'm honest and realist mostly because I'm one of those people who doesn't really care what characters they choose(Almost. Zeus in PSAll-Stars is still stupid.), as I still tend to have a lot of fun with them. Heck, despite wanting Robin more, I would've been fine with Chrom if he ended up being the FE character. But I was still happy when I saw Robin and Lucina.
First of all, Kamui's class is unique for Smash, second, Zeus? Was there a second game?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Doesn't matter what the class is. If dying results in a gameover every time the character is deployed (Elincia, Geoffrey, Nephenee, and Tibarn can result in gameovers in various RD chapters but they're not permanently required to stay alive), its still considered a "Lord" character because that's the archetype; almost every game stars Lords as the main character(s). Plus, for all we know Kamui's promotion is Lord. Ike promoted to Lord in Path of Radiance.

Robin technically counts as a Lord. Lucina is a Lord by her class, but apparently her death does not actually result in a gameover (she's the only "Lord" class I'm aware of that actually has this). Cellica and Alm are also counted as Lords, but they don't have the Lord class, either. Same for Ike in Radiant Dawn and Micaiah, even though Ike DID have the Lord class in Path of Radiance.

Also, the Dark Prince class in If is completely different from the original one.

Ivander

Smash Legend
First of all, Kamui's class is unique for Smash, second, Zeus? Was there a second game?
DLC. Zeus was a DLC character alongside Kat(from that PSVita game), the guy from Starhawk and Isaac Clarke.

Sure the class is, but what if he promotes to Dark Lord? Technically, we already have a Dark Lord in Smash 4.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I actually meant Dark Emperor from the Find Mii stage. I just thought he was called Dark Lord and was mistaken.
Oh yeah. I forgot his existence. Y'know, I was really hyped for boss hazards. Then we got E3 footage of Bowser killing Yellow Devil in 3 hits and Yellow Devil doing next to no damage. Then we saw the Dark Lord do nothing. We saw Metal Face look cool but found out he's an absolute wuss who, in contrary to the 50 fact extravaganza, DOESN'T give you a point. Then we saw Ridley help people out. Congratulations Sakurai, you raised my hopes and dashed them expertly

Ivander

Smash Legend
I actually found out why I mistook him for Dark Lord. Because his music track in the game is called "Dark Lord."
Oh yeah. I forgot his existence. Y'know, I was really hyped for boss hazards. Then we got E3 footage of Bowser killing Yellow Devil in 3 hits and Yellow Devil doing next to no damage. Then we saw the Dark Lord do nothing. We saw Metal Face look cool but found out he's an absolute wuss who, in contrary to the 50 fact extravaganza, DOESN'T give you a point. Then we saw Ridley help people out. Congratulations Sakurai, you raised my hopes and dashed them expertly
It's why I hope for a Boss Mode for Smash DLC. Or a mode that allows you to fight the Bosses without hazards or other fighters joining. When you fight them this way, they become a lot more faster, have lots more health, attack much more often, do much more damage, have more launching power and maybe have some additional surprises.
It's also why I hope someday, in a Smash game, that we will get a mode that allows us to explore a Metrovania/Kirby & the Amazing Mirror-like map with enemies, treasure and bosses.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yellow Devil really just blocks your way, dealing damage sometimes. Dark Emperor gives stat boosts, and does a better job at blocking your way than Yellow Devil does. Metal Face is easily dodged while active, he can do a bit of damage while leaving though. What bothers me the most about Metal Face is that CPUs avoid him like the plague, and then purposely run into the explosion when you kill him. :facepalm: Ridley messes everything up for you if you don't take control of him and fast!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
All this Kamui talk here gives me a certain concept to think about.

What if the Japanese audience actually begin to start to voting for him/her soon after the game were to be released this month. It would technically be the time for him to receive that support in two months since they are the same crowd that were confused at the Westerners (us) for hyping Inkling before their game's release.

Burruni

Smash Hero

What if the Japanese audience actually begin to start to voting for him/her soon after the game were to be released this month. It would technically be the time for him to receive that support in two months since they are the same crowd that were confused at the Westerners (us) for hyping Inkling before their game's release.
I doubt it would be enough to overwhelm a space in the ballot if we're going to get 3-5 in total.
Even if we had top 10... part of me doubts that Kamui would be chosen for the game.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Oh my god, yes. This is what Trash Tour should have been. This looks a LOT like Snash Run, but obviously much more Metroidy
I actually managed to dig up an old post of mine detailing such a mode.

WARNING: HUGE READ
That would be awesome. It would be like Smash Run but single player (w/ co-op optional), and instead of a time limit or stat loots, you explore around defeating end of area bosses. And the enemies are ported from Smash Run and w/ more enemies! Maybe have enemies be in specific areas to match them too? Like a lot of Mario enemies and maybe some subspace enemies (those can be universal) in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Close to my thoughts. The only difference being that the areas are somewhat original(with inspirations) and the enemies that appear at an area are fitting to that area. Like one area could be a Medieval setting and have a lot of enemies from series that would fit the setting, like enemies from Zelda and Fire Emblem. Or another area could be a Technological/Space-like setting that would have enemies from Metroid and Xenoblade.
So basically "The Great Maze" but good?
Let's use this map for a preview.

Basically, you start in a Hub-like world that originally leads to one Area. When you explore that Area, you can find secrets, possible paths to another Area, possible Gateways that connect to the Hub, allowing you to go between those Areas and the Hub and Goal Points. While exploring, you fight enemies from different series, find treasure chests with stuff like trophies and custom pieces and even find secret paths and rooms. When you reach a Goal Point, you fight a Mini-Boss. After you defeat the Mini-boss, you get a Big treasure chest that has tons of stuff. But the chests respawn, so basically you can fight your way to that path again and battle the boss again to get stuff again. At the same time, sometimes you will find Mini-bosses in parts of the area that isn't a Goal Point.
And then you have Goal Points that lead to a Boss Battle, which would be a Big Boss from a series. As well as chests, they give you an important object that you must collect a number of to reach the Final Boss. But like Mini-bosses, they will respawn, allowing you to fight them again if you come back to where they were, only if you got the object already, you won't get it again, just a normal Big chest. The Final Boss would be Master Core.
And last, but not least, when you first enter the Hub, you can choose any character with any costume. And there's Multiplayer. Basically, with other people, you can team-up together to explore areas or even go separate ways. And you can edit the music to your liking. Like when you battle a Mini-boss, it would start playing music that you've chosen for them, like say the Kid Icarus Uprising Boss Battle music or the Fortress Boss music from Super Mario Bros. 3.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

Maybe... But I hope that they don't start voting for him/her.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
for now at least.
I think he's gonna be a Lucario sort of deal in the future, leaps and bounds will be made to keep him relevant. As they were made with Lucario. But historically Greninja already stands out from all other starters because he was given two signature moves upon release and even after ORAS he still has one move left that only he can learn (Smeargle can too but we don't count him).

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We talking mode DLC?

I'd take a new mode before a character. That's how much I'd like mode DLC.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I have realized that I am terrible because I would punch a small child in the face over a Mewtwo amiibo and have a poop eating grin on my face as I did so.

I love my plastic toys very much.

Those Disney ones though... naw son you can keep them.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
If were talking modes, I've been waiting patiently for more details on the tournament mode ever since they talked about in the 50 Fact Extravaganza. I loved Tourney in Brawl and I can hardly wait as the days go by to hear more about it. Actually, that brings me to another point, more than just new DLC characters will probably be shown at E3. I'd bet we'll hear a LOT more on the tournament mode and the Miiverse stage then.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Speaking of modes, I always had this perfect idea for a new Smash 4 mode know as "The Gauntlet". Where it's a much more condensed Adventure mode from Melee:

-Super Mario
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::rosalina:
Then a team battle with :4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy:&:4ludwig:
-Yoshi
Team of :4yoshi: of various different colors
-WarioWare/Land
:4wario:
-Donkey Kong
2 :4diddy: and a giant :4dk:

-Zelda
:4link:&:4tlink:
Then :4zelda:&:4sheik:

-Metroid
:4samus:&:4zss:
Then using either one in a boss fight against Ridley

-Kirby
:4dedede:&:4metaknight:
And then a team of:4kirby: with all the power ups from every fighter.

-Star Fox
:4fox:&:4falco:

-Kid Icarus
:4pit:&:4palutena:

-Fire Emblem
:4marth::4myfriends:&:4robinm:

-Pokemon
Multiple :4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4greninja: show up for a fight

-Pikmin
:4olimar:&:4alph:

-Mother
2 :4ness: and a :4lucas:

-F-Zero
3 :4falcon:

-Punch Out
7 :4wiremac: and then a :4littlemac:

-Animal Crossing
All :4villager::4villagerf:

-Wii Fit
Both :4wiifit:&:4wiifitm:

-Xenoblade
Fight against :4shulk: then team up for a boss fight against Metal Face

-Retro
:4gaw::4rob:&:4duckhunt:

-Battlefield
All the third party characters
:4pacman::4megaman::4sonic:
Then the fighting :4mii: team

-Final Destination
:4bowser::4ganondorf:&:4mewtwo:

Secret fight against a harder :4mewtwo: with :4drmario::4darkpit:&:4lucina:

Last fight against Master Hand

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think he's gonna be a Lucario sort of deal in the future, leaps and bounds will be made to keep him relevant. As they were made with Lucario. But historically Greninja already stands out from all other starters because he was given two signature moves upon release and even after ORAS he still has one move left that only he can learn (Smeargle can too but we don't count him).
It's really up in the air what happens with Greninja and GF/The Pokémon Company at this point. The thing with Lucario is that he has history that we can look back at and say he was very important and popular throughout his generation and the next two, Greninja we only have almost two years at this point and that can't say much about his longevity until we get past Z/XY2 and analyze how he stands from that point on. The only thing that can be said on the matter is that Lucario did pop up somewhat more often at this point (manga, movie, Maylene's in the anime, Smash, Rangers: SoA) vs. Greninja (Sanpei's in the anime, Smash), but that can easily change.

StormC

Smash Hero
Totally baseless prediction: I could see the next year or so shaking out like this, in terms of Direct scheduling:

E3 2015: Ryu
August 2015: Roy
October 2015: Mario 5 (Wolf?)
December 2015: Mario 6
February 2016: Ballot 1
April 2016: Ballot 2
E3 2016: Ballot 3

Pakky

Smash Hero
Totally baseless prediction: I could see the next year or so shaking out like this, in terms of Direct scheduling:

E3 2015: Ryu
August 2015: Roy
October 2015: Mario 5 (Wolf?)
December 2015: Mario 6
February 2016: Ballot 1
April 2016: Ballot 2
E3 2016: Ballot 3
I like this, I wonder how the announcer is going to distinguish between Roy and Roy

Also it bad that I don't care about Dixie Kong? If it was up to me I'd say Rool before Dixie, because villains, at least to me are more important than side kicks. Sure they can be interesting characters but interesting or not without an antagonist, whether it be a singular entity, situation, or an entire world without them you don't have a game. There is no conflict. So I feel that a villain is the other half of any franchise and without that the representation is incomplete. Just felt like saying that sorry.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I like this, I wonder how the announcer is going to distinguish between Roy and Roy
They could edit together the Koopa surname for all the Koopalings from the Japanese reading of Bowser's name.

Kinda sloppy, but there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom